Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
What you don't realize is that you've just forced the hand of an undercover Burial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Email me the stems and let's do this.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
If they wanted to do something like this they should have hired Tom Moulton to do a REAL disco 12" mix.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Sounds like the problems with the remix are entirely down to everything that was right about the album. You'd think having access to all the components of a track for once would give them more freedom to arrange into something new but surprise - it just comes out sounding like more of the same.

Working from authentic 70's samples like they usually do gives them two things. One, its restrictive so you have to be clever about what you take and how you use it. Even in tracks where they lift larger sections of the source material, the tracks sound different because they take them to a different sonic place either by processing or rearranging or just decontextualising them from what they were. This remix was born in the same universe as Get Lucky but it also lives in it as well, right next door. Even the fake remixes that were done from the teasers sounded better than this, because they had the exact same problem Daft Punk usually do; a limit to what they can use.

Two, authentic 70's/80's samples aren't pristine. The technology of the day they were recorded means they were never pristine from day 1, they carry some of the soul of the time with them, but also just the age of a recording subtly changes how it sounds, and often gives it a life and a magic that's totally missing here, because even with the care they took, RAM is recorded in the present day, and still sounds box fresh. They need to almost take a leaf out of Boards of Canada's book and try and inject a bit of a feeling of "this is a 30 year old sample that's been recorded, rerecorded, archived, forgotten and just now rediscovered". Cos the remix just sounds wierdly sterile and missing a spark in a way their earlier sample-based stuff just doesn't.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Taken to the extreme, it would have been interesting to see them remix with the only source material being the final vinyl pressing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Let Chilly G make everything right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdW5gVMQkY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

JetGrind posted:

Just curious, have you heard Justice's 18 minute song, Planisphere? It definitely has that rising feeling you seem to be looking for.

Holy poo poo. Awesome, thank you!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

He does. It's loving fact.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just read the Pitchfork review of Nicolas Jaar's Daftside remix album and I can't believe they actually reviewed this and gave it a high score (by their standards). I'm listening to some of this album on SoundCloud and most of it is loving terrible. It sounds to me like this dude just pitch shifted certain elements, slowed others down and made some parts noisier than they already were. That's deserving of praise? It just sounds like some amateur used Audacity to do some "remixes" and then threw the final product up on YouTube. I'm a fan of noise music when it's done well, but this is garbage for the most part. And the moments when it does sound cool, that's not original. These are still just remixes.

Who am I kidding, though. This is Pitchfork. They'll review any dogshit and give it a good score.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Gonna have to disagree with you there, bro. Nico's remix of the album has had about ten full playthroughs from me in the last few days. What Jaar does best is add a little bit of soul to the proceedings. I find a lot of his stuff hit and miss, but when he hits it always gets me in a big way. Beyond, Get Lucky, Fragments of Time, and Give Life Back to Music all blow me away.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I do like that Daftside remix of Get Lucky. Or maybe my standards were just set extremely low by Daft Punk's own remix. Not sure.

It has probably already been posted but, just in case, the whole thing is on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/daftside-2

edit: also the Fragments of Time remix owns.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 28, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thathonkey posted:

I do like that Daftside remix of Get Lucky. Or maybe my standards were just set extremely low by Daft Punk's own remix. Not sure.

It has probably already been posted but, just in case, the whole thing is on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/daftside-2

edit: also the Fragments of Time remix owns.
I hadn't checked this out previously, but drat, this is really good.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Who am I kidding, though. This is Pitchfork. They'll review any dogshit and give it a good score.
This sounds really dumb in the same thread where the Daft Punk album you love got an unusually high score from Pitchfork :P

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

het posted:

This sounds really dumb in the same thread where the Daft Punk album you love got an unusually high score from Pitchfork :P

Heh, well more recently they've been giving albums I like better scores than they used to, it seems. But let's not forget that this is the site that gave De-Loused In The Comatorium a 4.9 out of 10. For years, I'd read their reviews daily and know them as the site that gave poo poo albums good reviews and vice versa.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I know this isnt the right thread but the biggest curveball from Pitchfork reviews in recent memory is the 9.5 they gave Yeezus.

I thought they rated RAM a bit high too but overall I enjoy both of those albums. I used to read pitchfork reviews almost religiously back in ~2007-2011 but not so much these days. They have always gravitated towards certain genres and especially artists almost stochastically but they do seem to be getting less consistent in their tastes and the scores are kinda all over the place :shrug:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 28, 2013

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

I know this isnt the right thread but the biggest curveball from Pitchfork reviews in recent memory is the 9.5 they gave Yeezus.
Uhh they gave MBDTF a perfect 10, and have been staunch Ye fans for years.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Raging against P4k is a rite of passage and people have been doing since it started. Reviews are the opinion of the individual writer and you shouldn't judge the whole site by them (edit: Because pubs usually have many writers and the review largely depends on who gets to write on it). However, sometimes publications do an shared score system where everyone submits their score and they average it or sometimes its the reviewers individual score. The AVClub receives similar gripes but they are more transparent in how they rate media. But don't get too bent about a site because its is just an opinion and stuff.

temple fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 28, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Pitchfork does (or did) shared scores iirc. Im not mad about their scores or anything, i just said the Yeezus score was a bit of a curveball (edit: better phrasing would have been that it came as a surprise to me, although i honestly wasnt sure what to expect from them besides something 8.2+)

Personally i prefer MBDTF as the better album of the two but their respective p4k scores both seem uncharacteristically inflated. Their scores for Watch the Throne and Cruel Summer struck me as more considerate. But even if they pool scores, theyre still highly subjective (obviously).

Anywho, Enough about p4k and kanye in this thread though.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 28, 2013

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
The Daftside remix of Instant Crush is incredible and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Instant Crush remains the best track on the album but I still haven't heard a really good remix, or even one I prefer to the original.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

It sounds to me like this dude just pitch shifted certain elements, slowed others down and made some parts noisier than they already were. That's deserving of praise? It just sounds like some amateur used Audacity to do some "remixes" and then threw the final product up on YouTube.
you have no idea what you're talking about then

I'm a fan of noise music when it's done well, but this is garbage for the most part.
20 seconds of light noise does not make it "noise music". i'd also love to know what you think is well done noise music

And the moments when it does sound cool, that's not original. These are still just remixes.
yeah what kind of artist takes other peoples music and remixes it?

Heh, well more recently they've been giving albums I like better scores than they used to, it seems. But let's not forget that this is the site that gave De-Loused In The Comatorium a 4.9 out of 10. For years, I'd read their reviews daily and know them as the site that gave poo poo albums good reviews and vice versa.
oh no not prog rock band the mars volta's masterpiece de-loused in the comatorium !!!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Both yeezus and mbdtf are fantastic but I would've docked more points off yeezus for having more lovely lines in less run length. And daftside is pretty darn good but Im still waiting for a remix to blow me away. And/or something from SebastiAn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Prefuse posted:

you have no idea what you're talking about then

20 seconds of light noise does not make it "noise music". i'd also love to know what you think is well done noise music

yeah what kind of artist takes other peoples music and remixes it?

oh no not prog rock band the mars volta's masterpiece de-loused in the comatorium !!!

Daftside parachute account spotted

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
While we're on the subject I absolutely hate the whole Daftside thing and have a hard time understanding why it's gotten such universal praise, but different strokes &tc.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Universal praise? &c

I only like a couple of the remixes on there fwiw. Namely: Fragments of Time, Get Lucky, and Instant Crush. The "Lose Yourself to Dance" tease thing is lame as hell. Though I don't like the whole thing, Daftside was 100% not made with Audacity and it isn't amateurish.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 29, 2013

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yeah, Daftside is mildly interesting. Also, that Justice Planisphere song is not super awesome. The guitar solo thing or whatever at the end is very...boring? Justice has an interesting sound the first few songs you hear of theirs and then I wish they were generally less abrasive and more subtle. They tend to sound like someone switching channels on a TV with terrible reception. That analogy means I'm old so don't listen to me.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm pretty sure "gives every dogshit a high score" is not the stereotype people associate with Pitchfork.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
^^ Umm most definitely. From time to time, they undershoot some albums and overshoot others (usually really hyped/commercial stuff) but the majority of records they review are pretty balanced and well-considered. The quality of the written reviews varies pretty wildly but some of them are very well written. It's interesting how they went from that really amateurish, esoteric bullshit shop to one of the most important who's who of music critics on the internet.

I know I've already posted about this a lot but... I dunno how some of you guys don't like Daftside. There are some really great remixes on there. I've been listening to it all weekend. Get Lucky and Fragments of Time are just fantastic. I'm curious what people would say if they were Daft Punk remixes (although it's not really their style).

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 30, 2013

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I can totally see how people wouldn't like the Daftside remix. It's an entirely different vibe than the one that the original gives off. If it's not your thing, then it's not your thing and there's nothing wrong with disliking it. This, however:

It sounds to me like this dude just pitch shifted certain elements, slowed others down and made some parts noisier than they already were. It just sounds like some amateur used Audacity to do some "remixes" and then threw the final product up on YouTube. And the moments when it does sound cool, that's not original. These are still just remixes.

is just false.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So what, I have bad ears if Daftside sounds amateur to me?

I've heard lots of remixes of lots of different tracks from lots of different artists that have impressed me in the past. These do nothing for me. And I don't get why they're getting so much praise because they're remixes of an album I've been listening to a hell of a lot the past month and a half or so but they don't seem to improve upon the originals or even really put enough a neat spin on them that merits listening to them more than once or twice.

But y'all are entitled to your opinions and I'm entitled to mine.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

7seven7 posted:

I can totally see how people wouldn't like the Daftside remix. It's an entirely different vibe than the one that the original gives off. If it's not your thing, then it's not your thing and there's nothing wrong with disliking it.

Wasn't saying there is anything wrong with disliking it, I am just surprised more people aren't into it. And, I dunno, being an "entirely different vibe" is kind of what I look for in a (good) remix. I guess that's why I like it.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to more takes on RAM.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

So what, I have bad ears if Daftside sounds amateur to me?

I've heard lots of remixes of lots of different tracks from lots of different artists that have impressed me in the past. These do nothing for me. And I don't get why they're getting so much praise because they're remixes of an album I've been listening to a hell of a lot the past month and a half or so but they don't seem to improve upon the originals or even really put enough a neat spin on them that merits listening to them more than once or twice.

But y'all are entitled to your opinions and I'm entitled to mine.
Not liking them or not thinking they're interesting is fine, but the quote basically sounds like you don't respect the actual act of remixing as art, which is at best silly in a Daft Punk thread. On top of that, the "noise" comment made little sense to me. I didn't get the impression that you really have any context to criticize the mix. So yeah, you're entitled to your opinion, but if it sounds like one from a dilettante, don't be surprised if people take issue with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I guess. Though the only time I consider remixes to be art is either when they're superior to the originals, or different and interesting enough that they make me want to listen to them as much as, if not more than the originals. And to do that for me, such remixes usually have to include strong added instrumentation that wasn't on the originals, or just take elements from the originals and change them up in a way that makes the remix legitimately interesting to listen to. If they don't, then to me they either feel like a cash-in or a tryhard or something along those lines. I feel like the Daftside remixes fall into that latter category. To me, they felt instantly stale. And a couple of them just felt like they were trying to be too noisy. Not the whole set by any means, but some of them.

I have no doubt that somebody is going to make really neat remixes of the tracks on RAM eventually, remixes that I won't be able to get enough of, but I don't think Daftside even comes close.

Just my opinion!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 1, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
The daftside remixes are pretty cool, I enjoyed them thoroughly and will continue to do so.

BTW Rageaholic, art that you don't like is still art.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

an skeleton posted:

The daftside remixes are pretty cool, I enjoyed them thoroughly and will continue to do so.

BTW Rageaholic, art that you don't like is still art.

Yeah, I suppose. They're an art form. I just define art as a great achievement or an interesting expression or something like that, but you're right, it can still be art even if it isn't art by my definition.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Yeah, I guess. Though the only time I consider remixes to be art is either when they're superior to the originals, or different and interesting enough that they make me want to listen to them as much as, if not more than the originals. And to do that for me, such remixes usually have to include strong added instrumentation that wasn't on the originals, or just take elements from the originals and change them up in a way that makes the remix legitimately interesting to listen to. If they don't, then to me they either feel like a cash-in or a tryhard or something along those lines. I feel like the Daftside remixes fall into that latter category. To me, they felt instantly stale. And a couple of them just felt like they were trying to be too noisy. Not the whole set by any means, but some of them.
FWIW, I felt like they took everything that I disliked about RAM and made it interesting. Also, honestly, they were not overtly noisy to me. Like it wasn't particularly noisier than some of my favorite recent techno releases, so it certainly didn't seem out of place.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Some of you will be excited, but others will hate this: The RAM album may not be getting any music videos... but that Get Lucky remix WILL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LquuPcRDMNo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, so is that what they were filming in New York?

And yeah, that's bizarre. They chose the 10 minute long remix instead of the 6 minute album version or the 4 minute radio edit to do a music video for?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
What? Why does that make you think it's getting a music video?

It's quite clearly a teaser, along the lines of the other 3 or 4 teasers they've released for this album. They even specifically mentioned in the article where they said that they weren't doing music videos that they were more intrigued by 30-40 second minivids and how they fit into the current web content consumption world.

There's no way they're making a video for a 10 minute remix.

EDIT: 14:40ish of this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZoUVnmr4Qc

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 2, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That drat chronologic cover of get lucky is so loving good. I want full versions of all of them. Especially that hella C&C Music Factory 90's joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Music Videos you say? Here, have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fyci_q2TH0

• Locked thread