Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

About that-- I figure people default to the "Southern country accent" because most translations are done by Americans. I just wonder what'd it be like if most translators were British? What kind of accent would they use? Chav-speak? Geordie accents?

West Country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DrSunshine posted:

About that-- I figure people default to the "Southern country accent" because most translations are done by Americans. I just wonder what'd it be like if most translators were British? What kind of accent would they use? Chav-speak? Geordie accents?

Aussie?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That was my first thought, too; "a bit of ooh-arr country". But that's not actually the Osakan stereotype, is it? It's more of the "fast-talking, rude, money-canny" sort than "bumpkin", right? So, Cockney, or Scottish?

I am now imagining Connie referring to Sasha as "tha' tattie wifey".

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

That was my first thought, too; "a bit of ooh-arr country". But that's not actually the Osakan stereotype, is it? It's more of the "fast-talking, rude, money-canny" sort than "bumpkin", right? So, Cockney, or Scottish?

I am now imagining Connie referring to Sasha as "tha' tattie wifey".

Ah, I thought we where just talking about Sasha specifically.

Apparently the modern stereotype for the Osakan dialect rose from it's use by prominent comedians and now their viewed as sort of loud and boisterous with a tone that's both melodic and harsh. I think a south Wales accent would work well for that.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 27, 2013

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

I wouldn't necessarily believe him in that instant. Don't really see him saying: "Hey did you learn that in Titan school too? Always hated mirror Katagana."

At that point, he didn't know she was a titan.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

At that point, he didn't know she was a titan.

My point is that even if it was the written language of his home city he had no reason to admit that he could read it and every reason to lie about it. Though admittedly he wasn't thinking particularly clearly at the time so its probably the truth.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shadow0 posted:

Side note, but this talk of languages reminded me of it and today I was thinking about it: Connie apparently only speaks in polite language because if he speaks normally, he'll use his region's accent and everyone will think he's a dumb farmer boy or something. It's a shame there's no way (I can think of) for the translator to show that, so they just mention it randomly in that one panel or so. It's just funny to me that all of humanity is stuck in these little walls and they still manage to develop dialects, but everyone (even the titans) apparently speaks one language, even if there is an older writing system (or even language).

It doesn't seem that odd, we have a billion dialects and accents in the UK and the area inside the walls is much larger. Inside Sina is English accents, inside Rose is Scottish and inside Maria is Welsh. Bert and Ernie and Annie had to try hard not to let their Irish brogue give them away :v:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Thoren posted:

I originally thought Ymir was one of the "entirely" transformed Titans, like the ones that recently got spawned inside the walls from the villagers. It's still possible that the deviant that referred to her as "Ymir-sama" was clinging to some small memory of humanity referring to Ymir's human faction/origin.

As long as they have the will any human can reject instrumentality gigantitude and return to their original form

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

Side note, but this talk of languages reminded me of it and today I was thinking about it: Connie apparently only speaks in polite language because if he speaks normally, he'll use his region's accent and everyone will think he's a dumb farmer boy or something. It's a shame there's no way (I can think of) for the translator to show that, so they just mention it randomly in that one panel or so. It's just funny to me that all of humanity is stuck in these little walls and they still manage to develop dialects, but everyone (even the titans) apparently speaks one language, even if there is an older writing system (or even language).

I just like that there's literally exactly one (1) asian person in the entire world, but they all still speak with Japanese conventions like this (even if they're really speaking English or German or whatever).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Fister Roboto posted:

I just like that there's literally exactly one (1) asian person in the entire world, but they all still speak with Japanese conventions like this (even if they're really speaking English or German or whatever).

You've never heard someone with a thick southern accent trying to act super formal and high class, to not embarrass himself? Because I have. It's not just a Japanese thing, not sure about other countries or even states, but in California I've heard plenty of people with thick accents trying to use 'big words' or sound more formal.

You will never find someone in Cali saying 'y'all', because they would be laughed at.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Fister Roboto posted:

:eng101: One (1) Half-Asian person in the entire world (Just ignore the occasional redshirt running around with a Japanese given name...)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

KittyEmpress posted:

You will never find someone in Cali saying 'y'all', because they would be laughed at.

What, you mean black people don't live in California? :colbert:

Naw, I get what you mean. It's okay. :shobon:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shadow0 posted:

That's Sasha, not Connie. But yes, in the flashbacks and when she's talking to her dad, she uses a rough dialect and otherwise speaks extremely politely to everyone who's not from her home, even to the kawaii-est titan as it was about to smash her into paste way back in the beginning.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

This manga is really cool, diggin' it so far. I'm dumb and read it all at once. I wonder what Bert and Ernie are gonna do next! Sasha's dialect seems like it would be difficult to translate properly anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

You've never heard someone with a thick southern accent trying to act super formal and high class, to not embarrass himself? Because I have. It's not just a Japanese thing, not sure about other countries or even states, but in California I've heard plenty of people with thick accents trying to use 'big words' or sound more formal.

Well yeah, but most languages don't have a specific vocabulary for varying degrees of politeness.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KittyEmpress posted:

Once 'y'all' affixes itself to your vocabulary you're incapable of not using it. No matter the ridicule, you're unable to avoid saying it anymore than you could avoid the word 'the'.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Fister Roboto posted:

Well yeah, but most languages don't have a specific vocabulary for varying degrees of politeness.
In English there are a couple cases of this, like the differences between saying "excuse me, ma'am" to get someone's attention or saying "hey you". But the other 99% of our language has no such thing. :shrug:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Fister Roboto posted:

Quite a few non-English languages do in fact have specific terms of address and verb conjugations to indicate politeness. And even in English there's a big difference between casual speech and formal speech in the words you choose etc.

Another way you could think of it is putting on an accent when you go to a different country or something to fit in better, which is a thing that does happen (some of my friends do it too sadly).

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

French has two entirely different ways of conjugating verbs depending on the level of politeness you want to use with a person.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

of bees posted:

French has two entirely different ways of conjugating verbs depending on the level of politeness you want to use with a person.

Well obviously French would. You've got to find a way to make it clear that you're being bitchy to someone.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SC Bracer posted:

Quite a few non-English languages do in fact have specific terms of address and verb conjugations to indicate politeness. And even in English there's a big difference between casual speech and formal speech in the words you choose etc.

Another way you could think of it is putting on an accent when you go to a different country or something to fit in better, which is a thing that does happen (some of my friends do it too sadly).

I've always found that English is very, very much about tone of voice and how you say something, not what you say. There's definitely impolite and polite language, but for the most part whether something is seen as rude or sarcastic is down to how the speaker says it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

of bees posted:

True, but those are interchangeable with the plural form. You'd use "vous" either when referring to someone politely, or to a group of people. Kind of like the royal we. French is weird like that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh dear god... this Titan cosplay!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdBUvdlnKv0

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In the latest episode didn't Jaeger pop out first and then reform? Or did it happen as in the show?

Fister Roboto posted:

There's still like High/Low German maybe that can get the job done, maybe? I also thought Asians in AoT were just really rare.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Reminds me of the dancing horse mask guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDPTKn7HiY :nws:?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So it looks like next week's episode is a clip show, but judging from some of the images they showed in the preview (crying Sasha :cry: ) they may get to the scene where the recruits make their final decision over which branch of the armed forces to join.

That speech, and all of the characters' reactions, is one of the absolute defining moments of the series. I really hope the show handles it well, because out of all the speechifying in this series, that one is the epitome of being the antithesis of the "shonen blazing heart inspirational speech", and the show's record on handling that sort of thing has had its ups and downs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cross posting this from the iOS games thread:

https://itunes.apple.com/tw/app/titan-evolution-party/id661051843?l=en&mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a bit of a shameless repost, the original by the guy in the costume (who usually mucks about in a Deadpool costume) is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDAZJC-yYcg

EDIT: Nevermind that this is basically a crosspost from the anime thread.

Runa fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 30, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
From the anime thread:

ArcaneTree posted:

18 June 2013

Enough with all this filler talk, what does everything think is in that basement? That's some :lost: related mystery right there.

ArcaneTree posted:

1 July 2013

I wonder if the mystery basement has been revealed in the manga. It continues to be my driving passion for this show

:allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

From the anime thread:

:allears:

Honestly, having just read the manga after being exposed by the anime and loving it immensely, I have to admit the progression of events seems a littlr slow to me after the first Trost timeskip. We've had the fight in Trost, a flashback to the trainee days, a fairly brief ill-fated excursion outside the gates, the fight against Annie, and then Eren trying to go patch the alleged hole in the wall and subsequently being hauled off to Sesame Street by Bert and Ernie after the big reveal on the wall.

On the other hand, maybe this is actually a lot for a manga that's 3 years old and I'm just being really dumb. I know they'll reach the basement eventually, and I have no reason not to trust that what is down there will be satisfying, but I don't think they'll get there until sometime in 2017.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Monthly mangas are known to move at a really slow pace. Add in SnK's pacing with "real time" and not many events have happened--but lots of information has been revealed.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah, the story moves super slow but every month it gives us some new tidbit of important information to talk about. This is a monthly manga and a years-old thread and it was still extremely popular even before the anime. Very few manga threads have the same momentum as this one, and it's for a reason. (The reason is that it's good)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You have no idea how good we have it with AOT. If this was Naruto or Bleach or something we'd still be in the training chapters. Or it would have gone horribly off the rails somehow.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm still utterly mystified how this manga could have the success it has. It has a slow-moving, carefully planned out plot, a very bleak atmosphere, horrible art in places and rather bland backgrounds. How the hell did this become a bestseller so early?

Not that it doesn't deserve that, sure.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Torquemadras posted:

I'm still utterly mystified how this manga could have the success it has. It has a slow-moving, carefully planned out plot, a very bleak atmosphere, horrible art in places and rather bland backgrounds. How the hell did this become a bestseller so early?

Because everything except the artwork has been pretty much top of its game.

Even the artwork suits its purpose, especially for the titans themselves.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

You have no idea how good we have it with AOT. If this was Naruto or Bleach or something we'd still be in the training chapters. Or it would have gone horribly off the rails somehow.

If this was Battle Angel Alita we'd still be in ZOTT! :suicide:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Breaky posted:

Because everything except the artwork has been pretty much top of its game.

Even the artwork suits its purpose, especially for the titans themselves.

That's what confuses me - it really is a great manga, but you really don't notice its qualities unless you stick with it for a while. Yet it immediately was a big hit, cracking the sales top ten and what not.

Seems there was some incredible marketing / word of mouth going on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

That's what confuses me - it really is a great manga, but you really don't notice its qualities unless you stick with it for a while. Yet it immediately was a big hit, cracking the sales top ten and what not.

Seems there was some incredible marketing / word of mouth going on.

I wonder. It caught on here in the forum really quickly as well and got a lot of praise. We'd be pretty impervious to foreign marketing etc. I like to think it just stood out enough on its own but it could easily be both regarding sales overseas.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I just loving love creepy monsters that are basically giant old ugly people. And bleak poo poo is in. I started this at around the same time I started watching Walking Dead, which is similarly slow as balls sometimes, but fun in the "what if humans suck and fail against monster humans all the time" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Torquemadras posted:

Schadenfreude basically, everyone loves others misery, it's why the media is so popular.