Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Ihmemies posted:

22 released. Is there some way to disable:

Now everything is big as gently caress, it scales everything including pages and images too.

Set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1.0 instead of -1.0 in about :config.

Or better, check if you didn't set page zoom different from the default. The fix makes pages display in what should normally be the right size. If you fiddled with this before, because old versions didn't do it right, it'll now blow out in the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Alereon posted:

I think votes are ineffective for changing developers' minds, which is what Slashdot tries to use it for. Voting for bugs may still have value when you're hoping that particular bugs will be fixed sooner than others.

Well, hardly. As pointed out the problem is that votes are easy to manipulate, and tend to be stale, i.e. people may have votes on bugs that are long fixed.

That said, this bug sounds like it hits a big part of the userbase, and the reporter is a developer, so the odds that it will get fixed are quite good.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

I was wrong. Aurora still locks up on my Xoom tablet.

Did you get this fixed? Does it crash or just lock up? If it crashes, you can go to about :crashes, click, and see if it's known with a bug filed.

If not and you can reproduce it on any page that's not personal (i.e. not your Facebook profile), please file a bug.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 28, 2013

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
drat you, FF 23

I know about mixed content, you should, at the very least, offer me a white-list option

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know how I can tell FF to reload a thread at the exact position I'm currently looking at? It keeps jumping back to the post that was previously the last one.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know how I can tell FF to reload a thread at the exact position I'm currently looking at? It keeps jumping back to the post that was previously the last one.

That's the forums' fault, since it's explicitly telling Firefox to scroll to a particular anchor. If you're just navigating by page instead of going to the last unread post (i.e. the URL has no fragment id - the thing with the #), then you'll get what you want.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Click the little # symbol at the bottom of the post.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Skuto posted:

Did you get this fixed? Does it crash or just lock up? If it crashes, you can go to about :crashes, click, and see if it's known with a bug filed.

If not and you can reproduce it on any page that's not personal (i.e. not your Facebook profile), please file a bug.

Still not fixed. It normally just hangs indefinitely. When it does actually crash, I have it send in the debug info.
This is most common on Facebook so I will try to find another page that is consistent.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Where the gently caress did my bookmarks button go?

EDIT: they removed the bookmarks button, and merged it with a button I didn't have on my setup, so when it updated POOF it was gone.

AlmightyBob fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 28, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's the forums' fault, since it's explicitly telling Firefox to scroll to a particular anchor. If you're just navigating by page instead of going to the last unread post (i.e. the URL has no fragment id - the thing with the #), then you'll get what you want.

Hmm, I might be wrong but I think Chrome ignores this.

The Dark One posted:

Click the little # symbol at the bottom of the post.

Ah yeah that works. Thanks!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Who the gently caress designed the sync feature? I reinstalled my Windows and browsers. On Opera, I have to delete all the preinstalled bookmarks and speed dial entries (so that they will not be synced on other devices, which is frankly bullshit), but after that I just use my username and password and it will download my bookmarks and speed dials and passwords and whatever. In Chrome, the same thing. Sign in using my username and password, get bookmarks (and extensions and some other stuff)

On Firefox my options are to input some giant string into some other device, or (since i have no "other device") to sign in using my username and password. Except if i don't also know some mysterious string (and I don't), it will delete all my data. :wtc:

I guess I'm plugging my old failing hard drive back and getting my bookmarks and settings back that way, like a god drat savage.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

Where the gently caress did my bookmarks button go?

EDIT: they removed the bookmarks button, and merged it with a button I didn't have on my setup, so when it updated POOF it was gone.

what's the button they merged it with? I'm hesitant about updating from 21

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I haven't used a bookmarks button in ages, but in version 22, I was able to plop in from the Customize interface.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wheany posted:

Who the gently caress designed the sync feature? I reinstalled my Windows and browsers. On Opera, I have to delete all the preinstalled bookmarks and speed dial entries (so that they will not be synced on other devices, which is frankly bullshit), but after that I just use my username and password and it will download my bookmarks and speed dials and passwords and whatever. In Chrome, the same thing. Sign in using my username and password, get bookmarks (and extensions and some other stuff)

On Firefox my options are to input some giant string into some other device, or (since i have no "other device") to sign in using my username and password. Except if i don't also know some mysterious string (and I don't), it will delete all my data. :wtc:

I guess I'm plugging my old failing hard drive back and getting my bookmarks and settings back that way, like a god drat savage.

Firefox Sync is secure, unlike Chrome or Opera. Nobody can access your data besides you, because that gigantic mysterious string you're whining about is the crypto key protecting your data before it gets uploaded to your account on the Mozilla Sync server.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Okay, FF23 is just really unreasonably fast. I've tended to use it in spite of its performance, and not because of it, but this is blowing Chrome out of the water on this machine. I don't remember a browser feeling this snappy compared to other browsers on my machine since the first time I tried Opera 6.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

Firefox Sync is secure, unlike Chrome or Opera. Nobody can access your data besides you, because that gigantic mysterious string you're whining about is the crypto key protecting your data before it gets uploaded to your account on the Mozilla Sync server.

I never remember choosing such a key, at least it's not in my password manager.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Wheany posted:

You don't, it's a hash from the username/email and password you provide as well as god knows what.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The Burning Edge has an overview of the features from Nightly that are now in Aurora 24.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

I didn't realize how much I missed being able to customize browser look and feel until I started using firefox again. Never could have done something like this in chrome:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

You know the address bar has search built in, right? You haven't needed a dedicated search field for quite a few years now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The dedicated search field keeps your last search around for future editing, remembers and autocompletes your past search queries, lets you switch search engines on demand and fetches suggestions from the search engine automatically.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Read posted:

You know the address bar has search built in, right? You haven't needed a dedicated search field for quite a few years now.

In my particular situation a one word query on the omnibar results in looking up https://www.whateverwordityped.com and the DNS server throws an error whereas I can ctrl+K to to get to the search bar and hit enter to open the search results in a new tab.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The dedicated search field keeps your last search around for future editing, remembers and autocompletes your past search queries, lets you switch search engines on demand and fetches suggestions from the search engine automatically.

Yup. It's also needed to use this extension, which is mega useful for my job https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/searchwp/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm told that Youtube changed something with their videos and now I'm no longer able to right click on them > stop, to stop them, the only way I know now to stop them is to either close/reopen the tab I'm on or refresh the page, anyone have a better solution then this?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
You just want it to stop downloading? When I hit pause, it automatically stops downloading ahead (and resumes downloading on play). HTML5, if it matters.
If you must have it play up to a point but also not let it download anything past that point, you're out of luck but that's a pretty niche circumstance isn't it?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So I whinged a little about how I thought FF 21 was losing the ability to restore sessions. I switched to Chrome for a week or so, which is quite horrid for rendering .gifs and then just this afternoon updated to 22. But anyway after a heat related crash I got my tabs back and it's acting properly. I don't know what if anything was the problem with 21 but it not only couldn't remember my tabs after a crash I had to log back in to everything as well.

Very peculiar but I'm glad it's working normally now.

tl;dr Firefox 21 was utter garbage that almost put me off it, chrome sucks enough that I gave it another shot

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Skuto posted:

Set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1.0 instead of -1.0 in about :config.

Or better, check if you didn't set page zoom different from the default. The fix makes pages display in what should normally be the right size. If you fiddled with this before, because old versions didn't do it right, it'll now blow out in the opposite direction.

Thank you; I thought I was going loving crazy.

Is there an update for Tab Utilities that makes it work on FF22? I miss it :(

Never mind, found it: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tab-utilities/reviews/

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Still not fixed. It normally just hangs indefinitely. When it does actually crash, I have it send in the debug info.

Then you should have entries in about :crashes, which will tell you more what's going wrong, and potentially the relevant bug in Bugzilla.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

quote:

Except if i don't also know some mysterious string (and I don't)

Pretty sure it recommends you to make a backup of it when you set up Sync.

Wheany posted:

User chosen passwords don't tend to be secure at all, so the long encryption key is generated from a bunch of other random things. As pointed out, the advantage is that no-one, including Mozilla, or the government, can read the data.

There is some effort under way to replace this by something that's closer to what users expect (codename PiCl, Profile In The Cloud). Strong cryptography protects your privacy, but if you don't particularly care then it's just a burden compared to the normal "username and password" system.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Skuto posted:

User chosen passwords don't tend to be secure at all, so the long encryption key is generated from a bunch of other random things. As pointed out, the advantage is that no-one, including Mozilla, or the government, can read the data.

It would be cool if one could choose the server location for the profile backup. E.g. pick a non-US country whose legislature is more concerned with individual privacy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Well, good news, of all the browser sync methods, Firefox Sync is the only one that lets you run your own server. (Sync still isn't designed for backups, don't use it for that without keeping a copy of your recovery key.)

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Is there any way to stop Firefox from dynamically refreshing when you scroll down a page? It's happened for the past couple of versions but I thought it was due to new mouse software I was using. For those who don't get what I'm saying, lets say you are on Facebook and scrolling down, at some point it will refresh the feed and you will lose track of where you are on the page because there's new content on top and it's pushed everything down more. It's not just Facebook, I've seen it on The Verge, Techcrunch and every page that dynamically refreshes.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

midnightclimax posted:

It would be cool if one could choose the server location for the profile backup. E.g. pick a non-US country whose legislature is more concerned with individual privacy.

The data is encrypted on your pc and then send over https, it shouldn't really matter.

Well, good news, of all the browser sync methods, Firefox Sync is the only one that lets you run your own server. (Sync still isn't designed for backups, don't use it for that without keeping a copy of your recovery key.)

I tried that for like half a year, it's not worth the hassle.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ryokurin posted:

Is there any way to stop Firefox from dynamically refreshing when you scroll down a page? It's happened for the past couple of versions but I thought it was due to new mouse software I was using. For those who don't get what I'm saying, lets say you are on Facebook and scrolling down, at some point it will refresh the feed and you will lose track of where you are on the page because there's new content on top and it's pushed everything down more. It's not just Facebook, I've seen it on The Verge, Techcrunch and every page that dynamically refreshes.

Firefox in general, not likely. Facebook specifically, the Social Fixer extension can do that.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm glad I'm not the only person left that prefers having the option of a seperate search field. I hope the browser's configuration allows an extension to enable one after Australis is released in a couple versions. I seriously don't understand the advantages of an omnibar considering that you can search directly from the main address as well if you prefer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Read posted:

I vastly prefer a dedicated search box.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Skuto posted:

Pretty sure it recommends you to make a backup of it when you set up Sync.

Well, that is a possibility, but like I said, I haven't stored such a key in my password manager.

Skuto posted:

Well, I don't think that really sounds like a good reason to not have the option for the user to choose their own key.

e: After copying my profile from the old disk, I have now added the recovery key into the password manager.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 30, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Wheany posted:

Well, that is a possibility, but like I said, I haven't stored such a key in my password manager.

Well, I don't think that really sounds like a good reason to not have the option for the user to choose their own key.

e: After copying my profile from the old disk, I have now added the recovery key into the password manager.

The reason is that usually you wouldn't need the key , just another already synced firefox. You then enter the 3x4 keys your browser displays on the first FF and off you go, no key needed.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Wheany posted:

"Please enter an encryption key that has at least 256 bits of (random) entropy."

I don't think adding such an option is a good plan. To get an idea, here's a page that estimates the strength of user-chosen keys: http://rumkin.com/tools/password/passchk.php

Passwords are really beyond terrible at securing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Sereri posted:

The data is encrypted on your pc and then send over https, it shouldn't really matter.

Well it's more a political choice than a technological one. No matter the encryption process used, as a european citizen I'd prefer anything remotely personal to reside on a EU-server. But whatevs, I guess this is a derail and more appropriate for D&D threads.