Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Disco pops up on one of the first Nitro episodes trying to hock his CD. Was this a real CD or was it just part of the act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
The new Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline of WCW 1996 with Kevin Sullivan is pretty solid. Sullivan has a great memory and gives lots of insight into the booking, particularly with Hulk and his mindset in that time. Amusingly, he said that Hulk was "really, really content" after the Doomsday Cage match at Uncensored.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The American Dream posted:

And he was so loving over you wouldn't believe.

The WWF had a Elvis impersonater in the 1980's who was also over as gently caress.

Out of date music guy is a great gimmick. 3MB would do a lot better if they made it clear that they were a 90's rock ballad band.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

When the gently caress was Disco Inferno actually over? He was a one note joke and real bad at all things wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Hirams Bitch posted:

When the gently caress was Disco Inferno actually over? He was a one note joke and real bad at all things wrestling.

Late 90s pro wrestling was a wonderful time, when pretty much anybody at all could get over.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Disco Inferno and Lash Leroux were two guys whom I absolutely loved for no real reason.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

coconono posted:

Disco Inferno and Lash Leroux were two guys whom I absolutely loved for no real reason.

It's the sideburns. The Ls.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Disco did this which is the only good thing to come out of WCW making us suffer through Konnan's music video 300 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4EPbNWxtXA

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I forgot about Konnan's video but I could hear Disco's version as soon as you mentioned it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Observer quotes

quote:

The 4/15 Nitro from Charleston, WV (8,040 fans; 6,381 paying $67,152 which are phenomenal numbers considering there was a tornado watch in town at the time of the show) had more controversy behind the scenes than in front. Coming off the 4/1 show where Hogan and Booty Man were booed out of Cleveland, the talk once again surfaced to turn him heel. Due to miscommunications, both Hogan and Booty then no-showed the 4/3 Birmingham WCW Saturday Night tapings. Hogan sent word that he had a movie deal that would take him out of action until August, and plans were made for him to do the serious injury angle on the 4/15 show and for him to be written out of all plans. There was also a lot of internal belief that using him every Monday night was a situation that would turn into diminishing or lack of returns and to use him on occasion as a special feature. Anyway, Hogan changed his mind at the 11th hour again and not decided against the injury angle, but instead not only won a handicap match, but popped up from the Giant's choke slam and slammed the Giant and ran him off as well. This only served to make Sting and Lex Luger look that much weaker since later in the show, they had to take the Giant's choke slam and lay there for several minutes. Hogan wanted to stick around since the movie deal isn't a sure thing. Anyway, Hogan beat Arn Anderson & Kevin Sullivan in a horrible handicap match in 4:18 when he legdropped Kevin. Hogan looked worse than a green independent wrestler with his horrible looking offense and his inability to do figure four spots both heels set up perfectly for him. After the match, where Hogan was to get 5:00 with the manager of his choosing, he first teased he was going to clean Woman's clock, then Liz (who is looking even more uncomfortable and out of place in her role by the week), and wound up throwing around Jimmy Hart, who at 55 years old, actually took better bumps than anyone on the show besides Flair. Giant showed up and choke-slammed Hogan, who popped up, did a foot to face and bodyslammed Giant. Gene Okerlund then snuck up behind Hogan as if he was going to turn heel, and Hogan picked him up for a slam and then saw who it was and let him go. (-**);

quote:

There is talk of Nitro going to two hours every Monday night. The idea behind it is that TNT would increase its weekly payment to WCW for the second hour which would make WCW even more profitable and with the added money they can acquire even more talent. It would also give them a one hour jump on Titan since the hour would be in place of "Thunder in Paradise." Even if two hours is overexposure from a wrestling standpoint, from a TNT standpoint, an hour of Nitro would do double the ratings of Thunder.

quote:

[Bischoff went on the radio and] ripped Kevin Nash, saying reports of a $700,000 three-year deal aren't true (Nash is actually telling everyone the three year deal is for $780,000 per) and said he had made no deal with Nash (Nash has a deal with WCW so why he said that is confusing)

quote:

Razor Ramon and Diesel both finish up on 5/19. I believe that after the PPV and TV tapings, both are only going to work the Baltimore, Philadelphia and MSG house show run 5/17 to 5/19 and that's it. There is no truth to any rumors that Ramon wanted to stay and was turned down.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 27, 2013

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
How far are we from that stuff in the Weekly Nitros? I have no idea where we are but that looks like some fun stuff to watch in a trainwrecky way.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

How far are we from that stuff in the Weekly Nitros? I have no idea where we are but that looks like some fun stuff to watch in a trainwrecky way.
We're a month and a half ahead of it actually. The last show we watched was the first 2 hour nitro

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Hirams Bitch posted:

We're not saying we wanted more then the 6 minute matches he got and he deserved more then a tv title run. But it worked for him and worked for us.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oatgan posted:

We're a month and a half ahead of it actually. The last show we watched was the first 2 hour nitro
Have you guys considered taking a little time off and then running the Tuesday before or after Dave posts that week's newsletter? That would be pretty cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Have you guys considered taking a little time off and then running the Tuesday before or after Dave posts that week's newsletter? That would be pretty cool.

That was my original intention but one episode a week wasn't enough so we do two. Unless people get tired of two episodes a week we'll probably stick to that. It's possible but now that 20 people are sticking around to watch a TNA weekly after two Nitros I am not betting on it.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
This is when WCW starting really turning up; the nWo feud was super hot obviously, but having the crusierweight title along with Rey really helped the undercards.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Willninho posted:

This is when WCW starting really turning up; the nWo feud was super hot obviously, but having the crusierweight title along with Rey really helped the undercards.

Coming up soon is Rey's greatest match. Rey vs trailer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Rey vs trailer.

HARD TIMES

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

"When a lazy seven foot tall man throws you headfirst into a trailer and refers to you as the Human Dart, that's hard times, daddy!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

"When a lazy seven foot tall man throws you headfirst into a trailer and refers to you as the Human Dart, that's hard times, daddy!

Every time I see "daddy" in relation to pro-wrestling I immediately read it in Bill Alphonso's voice.

It's never not hilarious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cromulent posted:

The new Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline of WCW 1996 with Kevin Sullivan is pretty solid. Sullivan has a great memory and gives lots of insight into the booking, particularly with Hulk and his mindset in that time. Amusingly, he said that Hulk was "really, really content" after the Doomsday Cage match at Uncensored.

I want to see this. I don't know why I'm so fascinated with anything Sullivan says. Maybe it's because he pretended to be Charles Manson but talked in Popeye the Sailor Man's voice.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
The more old Nitro we watch old Nitros, the more I have come to love the team of Ice Train and Scott Norton. I love big fat yet agile men press slamming other large men and inexplicably doing dives from the apron.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I want there to have been a stable of Scott Steiner, Scott Hall, and Scott Norton, who only ever referred to each other as "Scott" and knew immediately every time who was being addressed.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Halloween Jack posted:

I want to see this. I don't know why I'm so fascinated with anything Sullivan says. Maybe it's because he pretended to be Charles Manson but talked in Popeye the Sailor Man's voice.
I probably should have attached the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fBQjcVH3w

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The American Dream posted:

We're not saying we wanted more then the 6 minute matches he got and he deserved more then a tv title run. But it worked for him and worked for us.

The man had to pull out instructions on how to apply his finisher during matches. That's awesome no matter how you look at it.

LvK posted:

I want there to have been a stable of Scott Steiner, Scott Hall, and Scott Norton, who only ever referred to each other as "Scott" and knew immediately every time who was being addressed.

Fantasy booking is stupid, but sometimes gold can be found. This is one of them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Jesus, Miss Elizabeth just wasn't comfortable at all on camera. She's just switched from Savage to Flair in early 96. Mean Gene wants to know why so she starts to explain...then just stops and smiles. She literally stops mid sentence as she forgets her lines. Thankfully Flair is such a pro that he covers up and prompts her to go on but man...it was bad.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LvK posted:

They could have feuded with Raven and Bam Bam Bigelow.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't forget Scotty 2 Hotty

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LvK posted:

They were all in nWo black and white in 1998.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

One of the smaller differences between WWE and WCW was the wrestler entrances. WCW wrestlers had a much longer walk to the ring and would often look directly at the camera and trash talk it all the way to the ring.

Now the only superstar who gets to do that is John Cena when he first comes out :mad:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

21 Hoot Salute posted:

WCW wrestlers had a much longer walk to the ring and would often look directly at the camera and trash talk it all the way to the ring.

So many of my childhood wrestling memories consist of luchadores swearing in Spanish at the camera as they entered :allears:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

21 Hoot Salute posted:

One of the smaller differences between WWE and WCW was the wrestler entrances. WCW wrestlers had a much longer walk to the ring and would often look directly at the camera and trash talk it all the way to the ring.

Now the only superstar who gets to do that is John Cena when he first comes out :mad:

I hate how the WWE never gets the camera close enough to pick up what the hell any wrestler is saying during their entrance, they just look like they're rambling to themselves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

21 Hoot Salute posted:

My big problem with this is that I could never hear what they were saying over the crowd noise, the music and the commentators, which gave the whole thing a really bush league feel to me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

That was my original intention but one episode a week wasn't enough so we do two. Unless people get tired of two episodes a week we'll probably stick to that. It's possible but now that 20 people are sticking around to watch a TNA weekly after two Nitros I am not betting on it.

we're gonna be hitting the 2 hour shows pretty soon so maybe we can go back to one a week at that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

we're gonna be hitting the 2 hour shows pretty soon so maybe we can go back to one a week at that point.

We hit 2 hour episodes this week, everyone wanted to keep doing two.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

My big problem with this is that I could never hear what they were saying over the crowd noise, the music and the commentators, which gave the whole thing a really bush league feel to me.
Agreed. Even before I knew anything about wrestling production, I just thought, "Why are the announcers talking over this guy?" and "Why are these guys talking when they know the announcers are talking over them?"

It really looked like the left hand wasn't talking to the right.

On the other hand, that did make things feel more real somewhat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I seem to recall at least one match starting without a referee in the ring. At this point I'd believe that someone forgot to assign a referee to the match (one ran in about 30 seconds after the bell rung).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Picked up the war games DVD today. Even with poo poo camera work and poor lighting the old war games are so much better than from hogans era onward its disgusting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro is coming up at 8 PM, a little less than half an hour!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

New back issue up which features the aftermath of the Pillman accident.

Observer posted:

Brian Pillman was released from University Hospital in Cincinnati on 4/19 after rolling him humvee (open-air military vehicle) four nights earlier and suffering numerous injuries, the most serious of which was a crushed ankle.

When the police and medics found Pillman Monday night moments after taking a 40-foot fall from being ejected as the vehicle rolled, he had lost so much blood that those who found him believed he wasn't going to make it. His face was so swollen early in the week that even his own sister couldn't have identified him and there was initial fear the fall could have done damage to the spinal chord which could have been a crippling injury. He was in the burns unit at the hospital early in the week and originally in Intensive Care, although his condition was quickly upgraded. By the end of the week, after surgery which included taking bone from his hip to reconstruct his ankle, he was told that the long-term prognosis was good and that the injuries shouldn't be serious enough to threaten his wrestling career. He was allowed to go home from the hospital for the weekend.

Pillman, who had undergone his 34th throat operation just a few weeks earlier related to a throat condition he had as a young child which is why his voice is so raspy, underwent facial plastic surgery to repair some bone fractures in his face which included a broken nose a fractured cheekbone and dislocated jaw on 4/22. The surgery included having his jaw wired shut for approximately one week. Pillman, who was wearing a heavy Harley biker jacket when ejected, believed the thickness of the jacket saved him from more serious injuries as the jacket itself was torn to shreds. He also felt fortunate the injuries weren't worse and that for whatever reason, he wasn't wearing his seat belt at the time he rolled the humvee after striking a tree stump in a field on the side of Kentucky Route 338 near his home. The vehicle was destroyed and he was told by police that had he been wearing his seat belt and not been thrown that he would have been crushed inside the vehicle.

Doctors told Pillman that it will be eight weeks before he can start rehabilitating the ankle and perhaps another month after that before he can go back to the ring. Pillman, who is a small-boned person, has had problems with the ankle stemming back from a previous ankle injury that ended his pro football career when he was playing with the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian Football League. As luck would have it, that ankle injury turned into the best career break of his life because it led him to Bruce Hart and Stampede Wrestling where he started his career in 1987. Pillman became a far bigger star and earned more money in pro wrestling than he ever could have hoped being a lineman at his size in pro football. It is actually believed with the ankle reconstruction that his ankle will be stronger than it had been previously because it had never been 100% since the football injury.

The accident occurred two days before Pillman's contract with WCW, believed to be at around $225,000 per year, was to expire. Pillman has had informal talks since the accident both with WWF and WCW and the injury doesn't appear to be nearly the hindrance in getting a new deal as first thought since it appears both groups believe Pillman's strength in wrestling right now is his persona.

So Dave was being worked here, yes? Doctors really told him that he should never wrestle again right?

Observer posted:

It appears Hulk Hogan won't be around until August as he's taking time off to do a movie. There's a lot of sentiment that Hogan brought the company to a new level that they couldn't have reached without him, but that it's better for all concerned if Hogan only appeared on a few guest shots a year rather than dominated every Nitro and PPV show. Tentative plan is for Hogan to return on the August PPV against either Scott Hall or Kevin Nash in their new role, although that will change 50 times between now and then. In fact, if Monday ratings drop, and they probably will even though there is no head-to-head due to the earlier time combined with it being light outside at 7 p.m., it could cause a panic and from that standpoint, Hogan's timing of leaving couldn't have been better. The weekend television ratings started their seasonal decline this week because the weather started improving so when that takes place it should be nothing for anyone to panic over but again, the timing will look great in hindsight for Hogan. Supposedly Hogan's contract with WCW expires after the PPV match with Savage which now will also be a Monster Trucks match as well. The logic of Hogan destroying everyone in sight and in particular, popping up from The Giant's finisher, when Giant laid out Sting and Luger with it when Giant and Sting are the ones the company is going to be built around all summer when he wasn't even going to be back for months shows just how much power he truly has and just how much he cares about doing the right thing for the company.

So that was when this was going to debut -

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 3, 2013