Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Xii posted:

Considering we have our own in-house devs, im not too worried about that.
This game has evolved quite a bit since the last Cataclysm thread I made a while ago.

Yeah. I remember the old builds and it's incredible how much better the game is now compared to back then. Going open source was the best thing that ever happened to it, and the game is compelling enough that there will probably always be someone willing to work on it.

Of course the real thing that would make the game better than anything else would be a ground-up rewrite, so it's a shame nobody is kickstarting THAT. Clear, efficient, well-commented code would be much better for the community than z-levels and tiles, but that isn't as sexy a sales pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Yeah. I remember the old builds and it's incredible how much better the game is now compared to back then. Going open source was the best thing that ever happened to it, and the game is compelling enough that there will probably always be someone willing to work on it.

Of course the real thing that would make the game better than anything else would be a ground-up rewrite, so it's a shame nobody is kickstarting THAT. Clear, efficient, well-commented code would be much better for the community than z-levels and tiles, but that isn't as sexy a sales pitch.

Well, we could fork the code from Goon-DDA to make our own project or "spin-off" of DDA with a website, etc.
With a little time we might gather enough of a community to finance a Kickstarter for a full rewrite.

But thats mostly just a pipedream of mine :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

That's why I'm honestly not terribly worried about whatever shitfest the Kickstarter might turn into. Even if some of the devs jump off, someone else will pick it right back up.

And yeah, being able to carry more than 20 items at a time is an improvement like you wouldn't believe.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I totally agree that the apparent loss of one of the coders looks pretty bad and even worse with this Driver Man character fanning the flames, but I suspect Driver Man might be someone who has a grudge against Cataclysm for reasons besides the ones being stated. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened, though there's no proof of this and it wouldn't excuse the way poo poo is kinda falling apart at the moment.

So I went two posts down from the OP and now I think I found who was responsible for the wolf suit and 8+ dodge fox tail

(I hope this doesn't lead to goons freaking out and quitting the game just because a furry is working on it.)

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

So I went two posts down from the OP and now I think I found who was responsible for the wolf suit and 8+ dodge fox tail

(I hope this doesn't lead to goons freaking out and quitting the game just because a furry is working on it.)

According to that dude's twitter he hasn't actually done anything for cataclysm in months such to the fact that they didn't even mention him in the kickstarter even though his email is still listed as the support mail ingame. I doubt any goons are going to be championing the cause to get him proper credit though. :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

DriverMan is almost certainly LazyCat. If I'm thinking of the right person he's a known troll at Bay12 with an axe to grind against Cataclysm DDA.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man I just want a rad post apocalyptic survival roguelike where I can be anything from Adam Jensen to Mad Max to Kenshiro. Why does there always have to be drama.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How do you guys get focus? I have both quick learner and quick reader but I feel like if I got more focus I'd be able to read my books faster. My guy has a intelligence of 12 so I feel like he should be speed reading or something.

Also, on GDA .41 I've never found a CBM in a bank vault ever. Or anything, it's always empty.

Also, if bank vaults could be modified so after you hack it you can open/close/lock the doors whenever within or without that would be awesome.

And, another thing I just thought of: has anyone made their own rope/pulley things and how do they work, exactly.

(fake edit: I love the GDA work thank you for doing it :) )

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

How do you guys get focus? I have both quick learner and quick reader but I feel like if I got more focus I'd be able to read my books faster. My guy has a intelligence of 12 so I feel like he should be speed reading or something.

Adderall helps tremendously, but any stimulant can help. I have an intelligence of 12 as well, and with proper drug abuse I can usually get it up to around 17.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
To get the rope/pulley thing working: Build a palisade gate, surrounded on both sides by a palisade wall. (This is key) After that, set up a rope/pulley system near the gate, and Examine it to open the gate. There has to be a rope/pulley system on both sides of the gate to open it from either direction. It takes a lot of rope to build all this, though you can probably get more than enough by conscientiously smashing every window.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

T-man posted:

Reading speed is only connected to your intelligence and quick reader. Quick learner only applies to experience gained by actually practicing your skills. Also, 12 intelligence really isn't that much; even at 20 intelligence you'll only get a base reading duration of 40%. 12 gives you like 80% or so, I don't remember.

If you want to get focus quick, drop a bunch of drugs and listen to some music. The higher your morale, the faster your focus regenerates.

It's really no big deal, though. You can read all night long if you want to, just build a light strip or shack up next to the computer in any shelter. Tiredness doesn't actually have any effects until you literally pass out from exhaustion, so sleeping only once every two days is perfectly fine.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Focus just made Optimism a relatively uber trait. +20% to learning rate? Gimmegimmegimme.

TOOT BOOT posted:

DriverMan is almost certainly LazyCat. If I'm thinking of the right person he's a known troll at Bay12 with an axe to grind against Cataclysm DDA.
Yep. He got all pissy when he got banned off the CataclysmDDA forum.

As for the stuff not being merged:

quote:

The MGS mod has not and will not be merged, it has some good features, but lazycat is uncooperative about merging, so we'll have to implement them ourselves.

Shame too. It had some really nice features.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What is it about modders and drama?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Toady's a pretty light-handed admin so getting banned multiple times from Bay12 is an accomplishment.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently he has a real hard on for rounded lights.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The big problem with archery currently is that it goes up when you make arrows. Way way too much. You can break all the benches in the shelter and make like a thousand field point arrows the instant you load the game and walk out of the shelter with like archery 3. It's kinda of a problem.

Also food requirements are kinda high. Water requirements I like but the food thing is crazy. It should be calibrated IMO so that two or three MREs feeds you for a day just fine - each of those has 1200 calories in them sooooo

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Jon93 posted:

I totally agree, go for it. It's petty and childish to remove certain mutes just because I don't like the community that likes that sort of thing.

Just an FYI the mutation was never removed it simply had it's descriptor changed to "plate" or something like that. You can go back and check the commits for GDA to find the anti-furry one to see what I changed and where.

I used "git pull upstream master" to merge from the master DDA fork.

What did you use to resolve conflicts? tortoise merge always complains about "not a working copy" when I click "resolve" after fixing the conflicts.

edit: nevermind, I figured it out. Just saving the file works, and I have to manually delete all the .orig and .REMOTE etc myself afterwards.

its annoying since it flags files that were apparently correctly merged (i.e. tortoisemerge doesn't flag or show any conflicts, but I guess its better if I have to quickly review them anyway.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 30, 2013

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Phobeste posted:

Also food requirements are kinda high. Water requirements I like but the food thing is crazy. It should be calibrated IMO so that two or three MREs feeds you for a day just fine - each of those has 1200 calories in them sooooo

Yeah I agree with this part here. The other foodstuffs can kind of get away with not filling you up because their actual portion size is pretty nebulous most of the time, but an MRE is loving loaded with calories.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That Driver Man's implementation of Z-levels was just adding above ground basements, i.e, if you destroy the ground floor of a building nothing would happen to the top floors they'll just float there. The development team apparently wants Z-levels to actually interact with each other.

While on one hand it seems like they were somewhat intent on pissing him off intentionally by not implementing his mod while they didn't really have anything better ready themselves, it does seem like what they want to implement is considerably more difficult. They're not really lying about anything.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

This is a drat fine game. It completely renewed my interest I'm roguelikes.
I wish I could play it from my ipad in bed though. Completely got into it 2 days ago and then got diagnosed with a kidney stone. So I can play for a few minutes and then have to go lay down. :-/

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Love survival roguelikes but I dislike ASCII so I was putting off trying this game. However in the Kickstarter comments some guy linked a version with simple tiles.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hjn789f75t3kax8 (Press F3 to toggle tiles)

The font this version used was particularly obnoxious and hard to read but after editing FONTDATA to

quote:

data/fixedsys.ttf
it looks fine!

The tiles are extremely basic but for ASCIIphobes it seems a decent option while we wait for something better.

Does anyone know if this version is fairly up to date or have I stumbled into a relic?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Zip posted:

This is a drat fine game. It completely renewed my interest I'm roguelikes.
I wish I could play it from my ipad in bed though. Completely got into it 2 days ago and then got diagnosed with a kidney stone. So I can play for a few minutes and then have to go lay down. :-/

The problem behind roguelikes and other open source projects on iOS isn't the fact that you have to create an entirely new interface just for mobile devices (which is a lot of work but doable), it's the fact that publishing to the App Store costs money. It's $100/year to be an Apple developer and publish to the App store, which isn't exactly the largest sum of money in the world, but it's an annually recurring fee, which means that somebody has to keep paying it. Not to mention the vetting process an app needs to go through not just when first uploaded, but for every update. The result is that for the fees incurred and time invested, someone needs to get paid, be it through ads, micro-transactions or a simple price on the game.

That's when you also get into issues regarding exactly whom is entitled what portion of that money; Cataclysm is released under a similar license to MIT/BSD/Univ.Illinois, so legally anyone can make whatever changes they want (or none at all) and sell the project commercially, without owing anyone anything--but we all know that even though completely legal (and frankly morally clear as well if doing something to the aforementioned scenario of modifying and publishing for iOS), people attached to the project will get butt-hurt over it.

It could be worse though; Whales could have released it chained to the anchor known as the GPL. I know certain people love the GPL license, but it is a fatal disease to a project. It poisons the bloodstream so that any derivative for all time will be poisoned, and there's been a number of past legal cases where unrestrictive (BSD/MIT/etc.) licensed projects were forked, relicensed under the GPL, and for all time, all changes made to the GPL fork is trapped there and can never be merged into another project without infecting the entire code-base. Even the Wordpress team admits that they've wasted man-years of development work, because early code was licensed under GPLv2 while later code was licensed under GPLv3. Although both GPL licenses, GPLv3 is much more virulent and actually incompatible with GPLv2, so the Wordpress code-base was actually violating its own licenses, with no way to ever change the license of code under either version.

Berious posted:

Love survival roguelikes but I dislike ASCII so I was putting off trying this game. However in the Kickstarter comments some guy linked a version with simple tiles.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hjn789f75t3kax8 (Press F3 to toggle tiles)

The font this version used was particularly obnoxious and hard to read but after editing FONTDATA to

it looks fine!

The tiles are extremely basic but for ASCIIphobes it seems a decent option while we wait for something better.

Does anyone know if this version is fairly up to date or have I stumbled into a relic?

Worse than a relic; you've stumbled onto a branch that has deviated wildly from the trunk and from reading the temper tantrum given by the author, no longer even has the capability of ever being merged back with the trunk. Which means you're missing all the biggest changes that took Cataclysm from actually a pretty poor roguelike, to what it is now.

Edit: This is the greatest thing I've read all week; found it in that Lazycat thread, by another poster addressing the terrible attitude Lazycat had.

A Poem

TheRealTenman posted:

SO loving HOSTILE! SO loving OBTUSE!
SO loving LAZY! YOU WONT loving MOVE!
YOU ARE RIDGED, STUBBORN, DEMANDING! SO MUCH TO A FAULT!
YOUR EGOCENTRIC ECCENTRICS! NEED TO loving HALT!

YOU GIVE MUCH TO PLAYERS! BUT NOT TO THE GROUP!
YOUR ,FRANKLY, RETARDATION IS PUTTING ME THROUGH THE LOOP!
YOU COULD DO SO MUCH BETTER IF YOU ONLY GOT A GRIP!
THE MORAL OF THIS POEM. DON'T BE A loving DICK!

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 30, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Just so people know, in order to allow language localization, the DDA team are using gettext() which on Windows is almost certain to cause "can't find libintl.h". For now, the only way I know of to get it working is here: http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/FAQ.html#windows_howto

But this won't be an issue for people who just play it, only if you want to do any development or building yourself.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

The King of Swag posted:

Worse than a relic

That's disappointing. Guess I'll just put up with ASCII until they sort out tiles. Thanks for the info.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Awww, that guy died to a vehicle physics bug :( That should probably get sorted out.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Has anyone found any good tutorial/walkthough videos on Youtube? I've watched a few different ones and so far they've been pretty bad - just dudes running through a game far too quickly not explaining why they're doing stuff. Alternatively some detailed written guides - the wiki guides are pretty threadbare and assume quite a lot of knowledge.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

Berious posted:

Has anyone found any good tutorial/walkthough videos on Youtube? I've watched a few different ones and so far they've been pretty bad - just dudes running through a game far too quickly not explaining why they're doing stuff. Alternatively some detailed written guides - the wiki guides are pretty threadbare and assume quite a lot of knowledge.

Is there anything specific you need to know? I probably can't answer all of your questions, but I'm sure nobody in the thread would mind helping you.

Early game you probably want to grab a rock and 's'mash one of the lockers in the shelter to make a crowbar, if you encounter a locked door and you don't want to make noise smashing it or breaking a window hit 'a' and then select the crowbar, and press the arrow key in the direction of the door. You can hit shift+v to bring up a list of items in view to save yourself having to 'e'xamine every icon you see.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Berious posted:

First, don't hesitate to change the options so you have the maximum 24 points available at character creation. The game is still punishing even when you have a good head start.

In my opinion, a lot of the difficulty from this game comes from not knowing what items to look for, and what skills are the most useful to work on.

1. Your pocket knife. You start with this. You'll need it to cauterize wounds so you don't bleed out, and to cut clothes into rags so you can work on tailoring.
-Painkillers, like oxycodone. Grab drugs whenever you can, as they have no weight or volume. When you cauterize a bite wound or cut, take an oxy immediately after.
-Grab clothes from zombies you kill and houses you loot. Cut them apart into rags so you can use #2.
-You can use your pocket knife to butcher animals for meat, but this will almost always fail when you start the game until you get Survival to a higher level, 3 or so.

2. A sewing kit. Grab them whenever you see them, then Unload them to get the thread. You can reload this into a single sewing kit so you're not carrying around duplicates. When you get tailoring to level 3 you can make backpacks, trenchcoats, etc which increase your storage. The backpack is the main thing you'll want. Grind up your tailoring by making socks or whatever over and over again. Once your tailoring is high, you can reinforce your armor or make alterations to clothing to lower its encumbrance.

3. Backpack, trenchcoat, anything that increases the volume you can carry. Make it yourself, or grab it whenever you find it in houses.

4. Matchbook, lighter, etc. You'll be starting a lot of fires to cook meat. In order to do so, smash apart furniture for wooden 2x4s, stack them in a place FAR AWAY FROM ANYTHING FLAMMABLE (you will burn down a building or two before you learn this lesson, trust me I did) and light them. In order to cook meat and purify water, you will need #5.

5. A frying pan or a pot. When near a fire, you can use either of these to cook meat you butcher from animals, or boil water in order to purify it. Meat can also be cooked with a pointy stick over a fire, but it's pointless to carry both if you already have a pot or pan. Store water in #6.

6. Liquid containers. Plastic bottles are common, although you may find gallon jugs of ammonia or bleach in houses. Unload them in order to empty them and fill them with water These are a lot more convenient than individual bottles. You can refill water bottles at any toilet, or a river bank if you find one. Always purify water before drinking it, otherwise you might get a food poisoning debuff.

7. Wrench, hack saw, welder, and plastic jerry can. Zombies sometimes carry tools like wrenches, and I found in my plastic jerry can in a furniture store, for some reason. The only welders I've found were in garages. You'll also need welding goggles to use a welder. These tools are invaluable because you'll need to use them to salvage and build your own vehicle later in the game.

8. Flashlights and batteries. Always, always grab flashlights for their batteries. Unload flashlights to get their batteries, but don't throw empty flashlights away. You can Disassemble flashlights to work on your electronics skill. Batteries power every electronic device in the game that I know of.

9. MP3 player. This is the best way I've found to keep your morale up. They use up batteries quickly.

10. Books. Invaluable for raising your skills. Look for Under The Hood, which will raise your Mechanic to 3, allowing you to work on cars.

If you're having trouble sleeping, you might want a bedroll or sleeping bag, but I usually sleep in cars or on the benches of my survival shelter without any trouble.

Eating: Kill woodland critters, but don't do too much damage; you need the corpses intact. If you've raised your main weapon skill to some ungodly amount, you might have trouble with vaporizing squirrels every time you shoot them. Butcher the critters to get meat, then cook them over a fire to get cooked meat. This will be your main food for a long time. Butchering is a lot more difficult than it should be, and at the beginning of the game you'll keep getting "Your clumsy butchering destroyed the meat!" messages. I have a suspicion that your Cutting Weapons skill influences your success as far as butchering goes; on one character I was having trouble, then I read the Spetznatz Knife Techniques book (raises cutting weapons skill) and every time I butchered an animal after that I always got meat. According to the wiki, however, it's based only on Survival. Someone else in the thread will probably look at the code and confirm or deny this.

If you're lucky enough for all this stuff, you can get settled in for the early game and live comfortably off purified toilet water and roasted squirrel for the rest of your life. Eventually, though, you'll want to find a garage and build your road warrior fantasy killdozer/mobile apocalpse base and set off down the highway on a journey as far as you can go (which is infinitely far, until you get killed by a triffid swarm.)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Another important thing early on is to choose your engagements carefully. Don't run into the middle of town, pick at the houses on the perimeter to loot and practice killing zombies. E'x'amine the terrain around you: the higher the movement cost, the slower something will fight on it, so get zombies stuck on window frames, rubble, or even shrubs to keep from being bitten. Special zombie types, early on, can be deadly, particularly shockers and smokers.

Be on the lookout for alcohol. Molotovs are easy to make and are basically an instant win button against at least one zombie; in a chokepoint you can hold off a crowd of zombies.

Also, make sure to 's'mash or 'B'utcher zombie corpses to keep them down.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Some addenda:

* I believe drugs do have volume going by a few other items in the category, it's just tiny (100 vitamins takes up 1 point of volume for instance). Assuming you get high a lot, though, this distinction will be academic outside raiding a hospital.

* Cauterizing wounds is painful! First aid and disinfectant are much better ways to deal with deep bites - only cauterize if you can't get anything better and aren't in immediate danger. Just apply either of those and you should see an option to use them on the bite wound at the bottom of the choice list.

* To expand on why cauterizing wounds should be a last resort, pain is extremely bad as it makes you slower and lowers your stats - painkillers will help, but they'll also slow you down if you're high enough on them, and you can get addicted to them with all the nasty lingering withdrawal symptoms you might expect if you take too many.

* Also be sure to check whether the clothes fit or not before turning them into rags - makes for less work in my opinion and a fitting pair of cargo pants is pretty handy early in.

* Of note is that you can use your pocket knife to cut apart items made of plastic and kevlar so that you can repair and reinforce things like rain coats or kevlar vests. May only be possible in the latest nightly.

* I don't know if butchering chance is affected by cutting weapons knowledge at all, but I don't think I've failed at proper butchering since getting survival 4. I do, however, know that butchering zombie corpses is an easy and very helpful way to raise survival and prevent the undead from rising, as well as that you can butcher shocker zombies for a chance at harvesting CBMs (which you won't be able to use as a novice but which can potentially be great once you have more skill under your belt). Also of note is that certain items increase the chance of successful butchering, such as notably the katana (not sure about the butcher knife, but it can't be worse than the pocket knife).

* If you can't find a sewing kit anywhere, you can make a bone needle once you have survival 3 out of bones from butchered animals. It takes thread the same as a sewing kit, though odds are good you'll find plenty of sewing kits in houses anyway. e: One extremely good reason to make a bone needle is that they are weightless and volumeless even while fully loaded with thread - sewing kits take up 2 units of volume each by comparison. Dunno how many fully loaded bone needles you can carry without any weight/volume impaction, but they are more efficient than even unloaded thread which costs one point of volume and weight per 100 units vs. 200 for nothing on one bone needle.

* Tiredness has no effects until you are Dead Tired (at which point you get a chance of falling asleep at any moment). If you can't sleep your first night, don't stress - read a book by the light of the working console in the evac shelter instead, or by the light of an active lightstrip if you've found spare flashlights (just disassemble one and you should have the materials needed to craft a lightstrip). If you're playing static or have cleared a dynamic town, you can also spend nights breaking down useless cars out of harm's way as well with a wrench and hacksaw (but don't forget to siphon out their gas with a rubber hose from a smashed refridgerator and an empty bottle first as it goes to waste otherwise).

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 1, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Survival 4, Tailoring 2, Strength 14 Dexterity 14 is a really solid start.

If you can huck a rock at a bunny and make a bone needle, it's possible to make a full set of clothing (training yourself up to Tailoring 3 in short order) plus a wooden javelin, which is a pretty solid melee weapon. All of this can be made from breaking windows.

Disassemble 3-ft strings, and disassemble the 6-in strings you get from that in turn to make thread.

Bam. You'll never ever run out of thread or rags again if you just break windows.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anticheese posted:

Survival 4, Tailoring 2, Strength 14 Dexterity 14 is a really solid start.

If you can huck a rock at a bunny and make a bone needle, it's possible to make a full set of clothing (training yourself up to Tailoring 3 in short order) plus a wooden javelin, which is a pretty solid melee weapon. All of this can be made from breaking windows.

Disassemble 3-ft strings, and disassemble the 6-in strings you get from that in turn to make thread.

Bam. You'll never ever run out of thread or rags again if you just break windows.
Can't you reload bone needles with sinew instead of thread?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Can't you reload bone needles with sinew instead of thread?

Yes, once you get survival to about 3 you'll never run out of thread.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You can reload bone needles and sewing kits with sinew and thread, but any loaded sinew is transmuted into thread.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anticheese posted:

You can reload bone needles and sewing kits with sinew and thread, but any loaded sinew is transmuted into thread.
Well, whatever, you still don't have to use window rope.

Which is kind of weird anyway, that window rope can be broken down into thread, when you think about it.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Galm posted:

Focus just made Optimism a relatively uber trait. +20% to learning rate? Gimmegimmegimme.

Yep. He got all pissy when he got banned off the CataclysmDDA forum.

As for the stuff not being merged:

Shame too. It had some really nice features.

From what I saw of his other thread, at least for the other mod he was making, he was using some hacks that the devs are actively trying to move away from, and they didn't want to entrench terrible spaghetti code further into the game. Given his spelling, his coding is almost certainly a nightmare. (In the very unlikely case that he has dyslexia instead of just being an lazy/dumb rear end in a top hat, he's still a dick.)

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Bilal posted:

In my opinion, a lot of the difficulty from this game comes from not knowing what items to look for, and what skills are the most useful to work on.

Thanks a bunch for all that advice! That was my main issue, guides would either tell you basic controls or high level information like different stuff found in stores. There was little intermediate stuff about the nuts & bolts of how to survive and start playing your character successfully.

I'm not starving now or living off limited house raids.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
This guy has done a good LP of DDA. He plays so slowly and deliberately that I'd bet it would be a good kind of tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvqxe4XbcSiFAoaxMYOlMysOXCDyg0Sjf

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I broke through a wall on the fourth or fifth floor of a lab and found a massive cavern surrounding it. It doesn't even seem to have any point, it's just filled with zombie scientists, manhacks and jacqueshammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Just to reiterate that swamps are godawful deathtraps, there was a ring of them right around the evac shelter on my latest character and when I tried to get out I fell through a sinkhole into a place with just barely enough dynamite not to be able to bomb my way into the evac shelter's basement.

I just cheated some dynamite in because gently caress that, and when I left the shelter again I pretty much instantly fall back in because the game actually removes the markings for sinkholes that you fell in for some reason.