Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Q_res posted:

Didn't it start out with Hassan trying to play the angle as a face but the crowd just poo poo all over it, so they just went full racist with it?

I remember his pre-debut vignettes and everything. he was never, ever portrayed as a babyface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamass
Jul 20, 2008

I said I didn't like this guy on another IWC board and they went apeshit on me.

What are your thoughts /wooo/?
Found his debut on youtube (3:15 mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S57IZhSHqGk

He's clearly heel doing the "YOU PEOPLE" schtick on Foley, but his "I'm an Arab-American victimized by post-9/11 fear" was something that was going on at the time and wasn't overly racist until he started praying in the ring and having masked men attack his enemies.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I loved how he spoke about negative stereotypes about Arab people and then used the Camel Clutch as his finish. I'm honesty surprised they didn't put him in the curly toed boots.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't care, he had that awesome, awesome moment in the Royal Rumble where he entered, a crowd of like ten stopped to look as he taunted, and then they all mugged him.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
How many people are using the name El Hijo de Rey Misterio? I was looking at some matches and interviews and it never seemed to be the same person.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There are two. One was the son of Rey Sr., who is the WWE Rey Mysterio's uncle. He sucked and apparently burned some bridges, and they gave the gimmick to somebody else and that dude is apparently a pretty decent lucha guy. I believe the original Hijo retired due to alienating people and injuries.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Chewy Bitems posted:

Also I clicked on a related video to the link that oatgan posted called "Racial Sterotypes in the WWE"

That video mostly reminded me how much I miss Eddie Guererro. :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Hassan was a good character up until he confirmed the audience's racist beliefs in the worst possible way.
Agreed. The character was pretty progressive, weirdly enough, in that he was a heel for the way he acted and not the color of his skin. People even called him on it. Then he was a heel for being brownish and everything went to hell.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Thank God for 3MB or Jinder Mahal would be in the ethnic no-heat zone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Well he *is* the fun one.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
I was in TFF and they have this Arthouse where people draw comics and poo poo, and one thought came to mind.

How in the hell isn't there a PSP Arthouse? Every sub-forum should have an Arthouse, and there has to be SOMEONE at least basically talented in art.

I'm more surprised there wasn't an Arthouse here first. No artists in the house?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

cucka posted:

I was in TFF and they have this Arthouse where people draw comics and poo poo, and one thought came to mind.

How in the hell isn't there a PSP Arthouse? Every sub-forum should have an Arthouse, and there has to be SOMEONE at least basically talented in art.

I'm more surprised there wasn't an Arthouse here first. No artists in the house?

I used to draw. I don't know if I can do funny, I'm no Toaster Beef, but maybe if I get an inkling.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Hassan didn't have poo poo on TNA's arab guy, Daivari. His entrance included the sound of an airplane.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wojtek posted:

Hassan didn't have poo poo on TNA's arab guy, Daivari. His entrance included the sound of an airplane.

He was in WWE too, with Hassan.

Also, wow, looking him up on Wikipedia, I would have guessed he was WAY older than 29.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

cucka posted:

The TFF arthouse is fueled by Febreeze and Toasterbeef having webcomics. I don't know if anyone here has anything like that where they are doing wrestling drawings every other day. The most I can think of is apsouthern does t-shirt designs for wrestlers sometimes.

I would love the thread, though

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

triplexpac posted:

DOA was awesome if only for the time Los Bariquas beat up one of them from behind thinking it was Austin.

This is pretty funny! It's around the 50 minute mark of the 1998 Royal Rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k3a3pk03q0

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wario Kart 64 posted:

The TFF arthouse is fueled by Febreeze and Toasterbeef having webcomics. I don't know if anyone here has anything like that where they are doing wrestling drawings every other day. The most I can think of is apsouthern does t-shirt designs for wrestlers sometimes.

I would love the thread, though

Wait does Toasterbeef have one now too? That owns.

I would draw wrestling stuff but :effort:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Has Jericho ever used a kendo stick to do a more powerful Codebreaker? Cause that'd be pretty cool.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Has Jericho ever used a kendo stick to do a more powerful Codebreaker? Cause that'd be pretty cool.

Or one with a chair on his knees. Like a VanDaminatorCodebreaker.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

This is pretty funny! It's around the 50 minute mark of the 1998 Royal Rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k3a3pk03q0

Undertaker dragging Michaels back into the casket is the best.

"Look at Michaels' face! He knows what's next!"
"What's going on in there?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

cucka posted:

I would actually enjoy taking some part in this if it got started, I enjoy drawing but rarely have the time to do any nowadays.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

Wait does Toasterbeef have one now too? That owns.

I would draw wrestling stuff but :effort:

Toasterbeef has been doing them for a long time but lately his production has increased, and everything he does is incredible (if you follow the NFL) - http://www.toomuchmustard.com/

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005
I was thinking of WWF 1994-1995 and that the era had the most atrocious mid-carders in the history of professional wrestling. Duke Droese, Adam Bomb, Salvatore Sincere, Mabel, TL Hopper, The Goon. Is there any other era in wrestling where the lower card, mid-carders were just so poor compared to the main eventers?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Psh, The Goon was awesome. His finisher was checking the other guy into the guardrail, diving into the ring and winning by countout. That's awesome. :colbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Psh, The Goon was awesome. His finisher was checking the other guy into the guardrail, diving into the ring and winning by countout. That's awesome. :colbert:

The Barbarian done the same thing.

As was pointed out on OSWReview, it's a pretty poo poo gimmick, because it means you are NEVER winning a title.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

VogeGandire posted:

The Barbarian done the same thing.

It was the Berezker. HUSS.

Heshould've been the greatest royal rumble competitor of all time. Alas he never lived up to his potential.

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp
Has twitter been used in a major swerve before Henry used it last month on RAW? I can't seem to remember one but there was a long stretch last year where I didn't watch wrestling.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

It was the Berezker. HUSS.

Heshould've been the greatest royal rumble competitor of all time. Alas he never lived up to his potential.

My bad, I always get the two mixed up.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Man vs Child posted:

Has twitter been used in a major swerve before Henry used it last month on RAW? I can't seem to remember one but there was a long stretch last year where I didn't watch wrestling.

A couple of guys have used Twitter to dispel rumors of their imminent returns to WWE, and then shown up as a BIG SURPRISE the next day?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tyma posted:

A couple of guys have used Twitter to dispel rumors of their imminent returns to WWE, and then shown up as a BIG SURPRISE the next day?

Tensai said that there was no chance he was coming back to WWE the day before he came back.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Man vs Child posted:

TNA loves to try to use Twitter to shock people. Doesn't work, because TNA.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Golden Bee posted:

I really hope he escapes and feuds with Brodus Clay, because Great Tiger vs. King Hippo is a match I could watch over and over forever.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't keep up with the product anymore but hear things now and then. How is Tensai's new career going? It seemed they were pushing him as a potential main eventer close after his debut but his lack of heat/terrible as all get out gimmick seemed to kill it.

I just thought it was really cool Albert was back in the WWE so I don't really want to see him fail.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

I don't keep up with the product anymore but hear things now and then. How is Tensai's new career going? It seemed they were pushing him as a potential main eventer close after his debut but his lack of heat/terrible as all get out gimmick seemed to kill it.

I just thought it was really cool Albert was back in the WWE so I don't really want to see him fail.

Now he's a fat dancing JTTS with the other, fat, dancing JTTS.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

crankdatbatman posted:

Dancing tag team with Brodus Clay.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Jobbers to the stars really does seem to sum them up. They're pushed enough that they'll most likely win over the Usos or the Prime Time Players or Rhodes Scholars, but will lose to Shield or Hell No or...well, I guess that's the entire division. :v:

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

DeathChicken posted:

Jobbers to the stars really does seem to sum them up. They're pushed enough that they'll most likely win over the Usos or the Prime Time Players or Rhodes Scholars, but will lose to Shield or Hell No or...well, I guess that's the entire division. :v:

Didn't the Usos beat them for the Tag Title shot?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I was watching part of Survivor Series 2011 the other day and I got to the bit where Punk wheels out Howard Finkel to announce him. Has anyone ever properly found out why the announcers all start crying with laughter and taking the piss when he gets all choked up from MSG chanting his name and he has to stop for a second? Was it all genuine or was Vince in their ears going 'QUICK poo poo ALL OVER IT'? It just seems odd because on its own it's a really nice moment with Fink tearing up at how much love this crowd has for him but it's slightly spoiled by the announcers going 'LOOK AT THIS loving IDIOT, GET HIM OFF THE STAGE'

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

I was watching part of Survivor Series 2011 the other day and I got to the bit where Punk wheels out Howard Finkel to announce him. Has anyone ever properly found out why the announcers all start crying with laughter and taking the piss when he gets all choked up from MSG chanting his name and he has to stop for a second? Was it all genuine or was Vince in their ears going 'QUICK poo poo ALL OVER IT'? It just seems odd because on its own it's a really nice moment with Fink tearing up at how much love this crowd has for him but it's slightly spoiled by the announcers going 'LOOK AT THIS loving IDIOT, GET HIM OFF THE STAGE'

People get pissed off now when we post vinceflex.jpg, but that really summarizes it. Vince is a crazy old man with outdated thoughts on machismo, so the crying probably told him to bully Finkel however he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it was definitely Vince telling them to do it.