Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So this is the backlash the anti-ssm crowd were talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

rkajdi posted:

They did also overturn part of DOMA and put the rest of it at risk in the other gay marriage case, so it's a bit more than just a standing argument. That said, it's pretty obvious who's on the wrong side of history on this. The tears I've gotten from civil unions supporters about "separate and equal" has been incredibly sweet.
Alleged civil union supporters are disingenuous since 19 states banned them alongside marriage.

There was a time when a national compromise would have been attractive but it sure as hell isn't the week after SCOTUS made civil unions explicitly inferior.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

All time high? The ABC/Washington Times poll from march showed support at 58%

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

VirtualStranger posted:

Other people's polls are bullshit and only my data counts. :colbert:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Other people's polls are bullshit and only my data counts. :colbert:

I believe you mean to say that their data is skewed.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Here are some pictures of the Empire State Building last night:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

VirtualStranger posted:

Washington Post. Although it'd be pretty funny if the Washington Times had such a poll.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Corporate pride involvement continues to alternate between cute and weird.

:kimchi:

Dough Boy looks like he's melting in the sun.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The best "corporate ally" ads are the ones that have substance above and beyond "here's a rainbow, gays are fine". Esurance had an ad that pointed out "rainbow, also for a while now we've given the married rate to same sex partners in states that don't allow them to marry just sayin"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So, how long until the first gay divorce? :colbert:

And SCOTUS is a hate group for gutting the VRA :colbert:

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

DOOP posted:

Over a year ago

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh please I was same-sex divorced in Boston in 2008 :whatup:

Big Ol Billy
Aug 12, 2007
Pays as good as money!
http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/07/01/pride-covered-tragedy-wrapped-in-rainbows/

Dominic Verner posted:

Stepping out my front door, I almost ran into a man wearing a mini-skirt, bra, and heavy mascara. He was standing with his arm around a young woman posing for a smart-phone picture. At the click of the digital shutter, she turned and thanked the well-heeled man, saying, “You look beautiful!” With a smile, which I confess made me shudder, he responded, “Happy pride day, darling.”

I suppose I lack eyes to see. Under the layers of eye make-up, I saw only a poor man, rebelling against an unavoidable shame, enslaved by a particularly virulent strain of concupiscence. As speedo-clad men with Indian headdresses walked between corporate floats and smiling transvestites, I couldn’t help but be amazed at the miracle of propaganda that had turned such blatant displays of sexual perversion into something which could be called “beautiful.”

Was no one else seeing what I saw? Two NYPD officers stood sentinel along the Christopher Park stretch of the NYC Gay pride parade route. To the first, a tall black man wearing dark sunglasses, I asked if the guys at the NYPD supported “this cause”—as a man wearing fake plastic breasts over a black Goth jumpsuit walked by. He replied in the affirmative. I turned to his partner, a shorter white man who, looking a bit uncomfortable at the direction of my query, gave the noncommittal reply, “I have no opinion.”

Thanking the NYPD for their service, I turned around to find a Latino woman standing with her two teenage daughters. With hopeful naďveté, I asked if she too was in support of all this, gesturing to the parade route, which featured a shirtless Asian man prancing in leopard-skin tights. She nodded. “These poor men and women look unhappy to me,” I replied, ”enslaved to desires that promise a happiness that they can never achieve.” I told her I was Catholic, and I knew that God created men and women for perfect happiness, that we all suffer desires that would make us slaves of the devil, and that I don’t take pride in this tragedy. She said that she too was Catholic.

Despairing of finding anyone else who saw tragedy in this “beautiful” display of pride, I changed my line of questioning. “Why do you support gay marriage?” I asked a young woman, standing with her arm around her partner. “I should have the same rights as my brother and sister,” she said. “What is marriage?” I asked a volunteer for Lambda Legal. “Marriage is a civil right that gives legal benefits to couples who wish to spend their lives together.” On the parade route, a presumably straight couple with a baby carrier walked by with a sign reading “38 States to Go!”

Having prayed a Rosary on the sideline as dancing Diet Coke, TD Bank, and Delta Airlines employees floated by, I said a few St. Michael prayers for good measure and returned to my church. I don’t know what it will take to turn the tide of the “civil rights movement of our generation,” but if we are to shed the dunce-cap of the hostes humani generis, reveal the love that inspires our resistance, and reclaim the moral high-ground, then we must expose the personal tragedies that are wrapped in rainbows. A man wearing a mini-skirt, bra, and mascara does not look beautiful. He looks like a man crying for help.

Oh hey the author actually gives a citation for the claim that these ickypoor gays are all just secretly unhappy, wonder what that says...

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/higher-risk-of-mental-health-problems-for-homosexuals/

PsychCentral.com posted:

There are a number of reasons why gay people may be more likely to report psychological difficulties, which include difficulties growing up in a world orientated to heterosexual norms and values and the negative influence of social stigma against homosexuality.

:fuckoff:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zero VGS posted:

Oh please I was same-sex divorced in Boston in 2008 :whatup:

How does it feel to ruin the institution of marriage like a god fearing hetero would?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

They have the best art department.

Is anybody else seeing the crying Lady Liberty from Kelly's comics?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Currently heading home from the first gay wedding in Delaware. My friends are married :3:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

quiggy posted:

Currently heading home from the first gay wedding in Delaware. My friends are married :3:

How did they get married on the same say as getting a marriage license? I thought there was a 24-hour waiting period on wedding ceremonies.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

VirtualStranger posted:

How did they get married on the same say as getting a marriage certificate? I thought there was a 24-hour waiting period on wedding ceremonies.

I'm not certain but considering that one of the grooms is an assistant to the Clerk of the Peace and they got Beau Biden as a speaker I'm sure they figured something out.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Majorian posted:

Is anybody else seeing the crying Lady Liberty from Kelly's comics?

No, but the guy Big Ol Billy quoted seems like a text-only version of Chuck Asay to me. He keeps describing unobjectionable things and clearly expects the reader to revolt at the notion, but only someone who already agrees with him will have the reaction he wants. Speedo-clad men! Smiling transvestites! The horror!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

DOOP posted:

Those uppity gays aren't just getting divorced in states that have same-sex marriage, but even in states that don't!

quote:

Same sex marriage is illegal in Indiana but what about same sex divorce?

Donald Schultz Lee wants a divorce from Justin Schultz Lee and so he filed a divorce petition at the Marion County Clerk’s office. While he was married in Massachusetts, he doesn’t meet the residency requirement for a divorce in that state. Clerk Beth White had no choice but to accept the divorce petition. “Of course the Supreme Court decision last week is going to create some situations I think all around the state of Indiana,” said White, “that many of us are not used to handling.”

Kathy Harmon is the attorney for Donald Schultz Lee and she is already preparing for a legal battle. Because same sex marriage is prohibited in Indiana, so is same sex divorce according to a 2009 ruling in a case involving two women from South Bend.

“If we’re successful, my client gets a divorce,” says Harmon, “which is what he’s seeking. If that makes new law, then that makes new law.”

Schultz Lee, speaking over the phone, says he has no desire to be a pioneer. “Unfortunately my marriage didn’t work out,” he said. “That happens, and I’m just proceeding with my life the way anyone would.”

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

This might sound insensitive, but screw this guy's Catholic guilt-peddling, unsuccessful though it may have been. Ask homeless gay teens with Christian backgrounds what it feels like to lie awake under a cardboard tent and pray yourself to sleep through tears that God will take away their "perversion" and make them normal so their family will love them again and they can go home. Because that kind of existential and emotional suffering is all that "...well are you happy? You're clearly broken" horseshit does. Ugh. gently caress this guy and his attitude.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

This might sound insensitive,

Trust me; you're not the insensitive one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Big Ol Billy posted:

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/07/01/pride-covered-tragedy-wrapped-in-rainbows/

Oh hey the author actually gives a citation for the claim that these ickypoor gays are all just secretly unhappy, wonder what that says...

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2011/higher-risk-of-mental-health-problems-for-homosexuals/

So what I'm getting is he spent a lot of time staring at passing Pride floats in great detail.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

quiggy posted:

I was invited but I couldn't go because of work. I hope it was awesome! I'm so stoked for the newlyweds :3

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Corporate pride involvement continues to alternate between cute and weird.

A buddy of mine works for Atlassian out in SF, who decided to take a company picture in honor of the decision.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

OMGVBFLOL posted:

This might sound insensitive, but screw this guy's Catholic guilt-peddling, unsuccessful though it may have been. Ask homeless gay teens with Christian backgrounds what it feels like to lie awake under a cardboard tent and pray yourself to sleep through tears that God will take away their "perversion" and make them normal so their family will love them again and they can go home. Because that kind of existential and emotional suffering is all that "...well are you happy? You're clearly broken" horseshit does. Ugh. gently caress this guy and his attitude.

Far from being insensitive, what you just described here showed boatloads more sensitivity than what that idiot on First Things wrote. For someone who talks a lot about what would make LGBT people "truly happy," he clearly has no interest in finding out what would actually make them happy.

Big Ol Billy
Aug 12, 2007
Pays as good as money!

Majorian posted:

Far from being insensitive, what you just described here showed boatloads more sensitivity than what that idiot on First Things wrote. For someone who talks a lot about what would make LGBT people "truly happy," he clearly has no interest in finding out what would actually make them happy.

One of the most rage-inducing parts of that article is that the guy keeps suggesting that he tried so hard to understand the people in the parade but was just overwhelmed by the hidden suffering he saw--when really it's obvious that he's totally incapable of seeing the world in anything other than Homophobe-O-Vision.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alligator Horse posted:

I was invited but I couldn't go because of work. I hope it was awesome! I'm so stoked for the newlyweds :3

It was incredibly awesome. If you're interested Fox 29 put up a story about it complete with video, in which you can totally see my girlfriend's arm around my rear end :j:

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/22737432/first-same-sex-couple-to-marry-in-delaware

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Pope Guilty posted:

A buddy of mine works for Atlassian out in SF, who decided to take a company picture in honor of the decision.

I feel like the guy on the bottom left is overdoing it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Big Ol Billy posted:

Haha the first story has the best "poo poo-that-didn't-happen" vibe to it with the way he's protraying most of the conversations. It's also funny because while he seems to be claiming they're the ones who are really unhappy, it's clear he's projecting. :allears:

Love seeing all these pics of various monuments and famous sites in different cities with rainbow themed lighting.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Haha the first story has the best "poo poo-that-didn't-happen" vibe to it with the way he's protraying most of the conversations.

Why do you think that? The responses seem quite reasonable, while the author comes across as a crazy whack-job.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I'm just amazed at his mind-reading abilities.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I don't think the author of that piece was projecting, he's just a guy heavily invested in a (terrible) viewpoint who is finding a way to see things consistently with it.

The commenter who, upon looking at a pride parade, thinks of Dirge by Bob Dylan? That one's projecting like hell.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 2, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
My useless Tea Party congressman, the only Republican in the Maryland congressional delegation, just co-sponsored a House resolution calling for a Constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage. Great work there, Rep. Harris. Not that it stands a chance in hell of passing or even getting to the floor, but screw you anyway. I especially like the text of the proposed amendment:

quote:

Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman.

Yeah, it's not about the gays, it's just about protecting the children. But let's withhold the "legal incidents" of marriage from gay people too, that'll keep the kids safe!

More: http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...0,4382998.story

Edit: Hahaha, 0% chance of passing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Challenge to Arkansas marriage amendment filed in state court
This is a court that unanimously overturned a ban on adoption by unmarried couples, but that was only a statute.

Hawaii could have a special session if 2/3 of the leg. or the Governor calls it. Leadership says they do not intend to call a special session for the 9 vetoed bills, but seemed mostly in favor of a marriage session.

e: NOM Communications Director knows what's up.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 4, 2013

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Challenge to Arkansas marriage amendment filed in state court
This is a court that unanimously overturned a ban on adoption by unmarried couples, but that was only a statute.

Hawaii could have a special session if 2/3 of the leg. or the Governor calls it. Leadership says they do not intend to call a special session for the 9 vetoed bills, but seemed mostly in favor of a marriage session.

e: NOM Communications Director knows what's up.

NOM and Focus on the Family tears are second only to Freeper tears. Speaking of Focus, I'm on their email list so I can get a heads-up on their upcoming bullshit and hopefully get some of those sweet tears pretty quick following something they cry over.

Focus on the Family email posted:

CitizenLink® Report

Understanding the Decisions
In this special update, Bruce Hausknecht unpacks the marriage decisions from a Christian conservative perspective. Watch >

Dear Friend,

The dust is settling on this week's marriage rulings from the U.S. Supreme Court. The outcome certainly wasn't what we would like as the Court overruled the authority of Congress to define its own laws and disregarded the votes of more than seven million Californians who voted for Proposition 8, the 2008 state marriage amendment defining marriage as one-man and one-woman.

Still, there's a silver lining in the rulings: During oral arguments earlier this year, same-sex marriage activists laid out their best arguments for re-defining marriage before the Court and those claims did not persuade justices to strike down state marriage laws or create a federal constitutional right to genderless marriage.

CitizenLink judicial analyst Bruce Hausknecht offers a pro-family analysis of the two marriage rulings on the most recent CitizenLink Report.

The majority opinions of the Court seemed to ignore the fact that children already pay the price of other social experiments like divorce and cohabitation. Children of same-sex unions are intentionally denied a father or a mother—not because of injustice in the world but as a result of two adults in a same-sex relationship who decide that what they want is more important than what children need. That's not justice.

The Court also failed to consider that religious freedom is already a casualty in the attempt to redefine marriage. Adoption agencies, churches, florists, bakers, photographers and parents are mostly on the losing end when their religious faith conflicts with the elevation of homosexuality in culture. That's not equality.

Ultimately, God's design for sexuality, marriage and family prevails throughout time and history. Focus on the Family will stand in that truth as we continue to be a voice for marriage, children and religious freedom as this battle continues.

For faith and family,

Tom Minnery
Senior Vice President, Government & Public Policy

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Icon Of Sin posted:

NOM and Focus on the Family tears are second only to Freeper tears. Speaking of Focus, I'm on their email list so I can get a heads-up on their upcoming bullshit and hopefully get some of those sweet tears pretty quick following something they cry over.

I feel old. I remember when Focus on the Family actually focused on the family, ie child-rearing, marriage counseling etc. There was always a bit of an anti-abortion and anti-LBGT streak, no mistake, but it wasn't their main focus until the late 90s, and then, like all the other culture warriors, they flipped the gently caress out. Ended up founding what would become Exodus in '98, and I know at least one Christian counselor took his book elsewhere after that as soon as his publishing contract with them was up.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hey Focus on the Family, go gently caress yourself for telling 14-year-old me that the feelings I had were illegitimate and a sign that the devil was trying to corrupt me. Go gently caress yourself for the six untreated years of depression and rejection and suicidal ideation you instilled in me. Go gently caress yourself for being the reason I thought my parents would turn on me when I came out to them. Go gently caress yourself for the irreparable damage you did to my faith and to my relationships. Go gently caress yourself for the feelings I still get every day telling me that I'm not as good as a straight cis person. And go gently caress yourself every day you refuse to acknowledge that you're in the wrong and continue to damage people like me to support your hosed-up views on morality.

e: Sorry for that, had to get it out of my system. A good angry rant soothes the soul.

quiggy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 4, 2013

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

quiggy posted:

Hey Focus on the Family, go gently caress yourself for telling 14-year-old me that the feelings I had were illegitimate and a sign that the devil was trying to corrupt me. Go gently caress yourself for the six untreated years of depression and rejection and suicidal ideation you instilled in me. Go gently caress yourself for being the reason I thought my parents would turn on me when I came out to them. Go gently caress yourself for the irreparable damage you did to my faith and to my relationships. Go gently caress yourself for the feelings I still get every day telling me that I'm not as good as a straight cis person. And go gently caress yourself every day you refuse to acknowledge that you're in the wrong and continue to damage people like me to support your hosed-up views on morality.

e: Sorry for that, had to get it out of my system. A good angry rant soothes the soul.

Rant all you want, they're fuckers.

They built this brand in a lot of churches and Christian orgs that resulted in people believing them and seeing them as reliable and uber-Christian but really I think they're a tool of the devil (if there is a devil). They're good at making people hate themselves, I repressed my bisexual feelings for a loooong time just by absorbing their teachings by osmosis and I'm pretty angry about all the years I lost by refusing to face them. And I know for a fact what happened to me is pretty mild compared to what they did to you and other people. It's spiritual abuse in my opinion. And they get away with it within the Christian community, for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The Court also failed to consider that religious freedom is already a casualty in the attempt to redefine marriage. Adoption agencies, churches, florists, bakers, photographers and parents are mostly on the losing end when their religious faith conflicts with the elevation of homosexuality in culture. That's not equality.

Yeah. If there's ANYTHING florists, bakers, and photographers HATE it's more weddings.
And, of course, more stable, loving couples are ALWAYS a nightmare for adoption agencies.

• Locked thread