Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido posted:

Waffle is missing her beard :ohdear:. She has no wounds and the skin looks clean, but she's missing her EE beard. I guess the other hens have been pecking it, and I've noticed Tissue (Roo's baby mamma) has been trying to become the head hen since Dust is broody and stays mostly inside the coop. Tissue has been rather aggressive with the flock, Roostroyer used to keep her in check :(.

Ah, gotta have Chicken Drama! Nothing like a Head Hen coup attempt! *i will NOT make a 'coop attempt' joke*

If she isn't molting (check for feathers lying around), it could be that the others are plucking her fluffy face feathers. My more docile birds do that...just sit there zoned out while being preened, which gets progressively more aggressive until it's wholesale YANKING by the one doing the preening. Even Weedcat, silly smitten rooboy, allows his hens to do that and he's missing some feathers because of it.

Part of the problem with my flock is that they are bored--it's been hot and we haven't been out there as much, so they are finding ways of entertaining themselves. :argh:

Lynza, basically--yes. I'd wash and either bake or boil the oyster shells really well to remove bacteria, then just put them in an old feed bag and whale away on them. Be damned careful and watch your eyes. Crush them into little bits that won't cut going down, tho. If you can find an old rock tumbler like hobbyist use, tumble the bits in that with a handful of rocks for a few hours to smooth off any sharp edges. Old fashioned hand-crank food mills (meat grinders), the kind that clamp onto the edge of a table, work well, too.

Grape Soda, the best pictures I ever got of my chickens, especially the flighty ones, were when they were posing in the ugliest part of the yard. Great chicken pic? Crappy background! It's almost a rule. And Black Sex Links are gorgeous birds, they are on my 'want' list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Ah, gotta have Chicken Drama! Nothing like a Head Hen coup attempt! *i will NOT make a 'coop attempt' joke*

If she isn't molting (check for feathers lying around), it could be that the others are plucking her fluffy face feathers. My more docile birds do that...just sit there zoned out while being preened, which gets progressively more aggressive until it's wholesale YANKING by the one doing the preening. Even Weedcat, silly smitten rooboy, allows his hens to do that and he's missing some feathers because of it.

Part of the problem with my flock is that they are bored--it's been hot and we haven't been out there as much, so they are finding ways of entertaining themselves. :argh:

Waffle is about 9 months old, so I don't think she's molting. She's pretty much at the bottom of the pecking order, and I saw Godzilla peck at her face through the window earlier today. It wasn't harsh or anything, more like preening as you said. I think Roo's horny dances kept the hens busy enough to avoid this kind of problem, Meeko'd better be a good dancer too!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Weirdest thing: my polish roo can't hold its head up/balance, but only at night. I've looked up stuff, but none of it really fits with him, because each morning I set him down outside, in the light, and he stands up perfectly and acts completely normal the rest of the day. Then night time comes, and back to being all stupid looking.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

A fox attacked and now one of my hens has some puncture wounds on her back and can't stand up. There's nothing wrong with her legs; she can stretch them out just fine when I'm holding her, but when I try to let her stand up on her own, she has no balance at all. Not sure what to do or what the chances of recovery are. :ohdear:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Very similar thing happened to one of my barred rocks. He kept getting worse throughout the day, in my estimation, so I euthanized.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

We're looking into getting chickens :3: and really like the look of the Omlet Eglu Cube, partly for ease of cleaning and the runs are supposedly fox proof.

Does anyone have one or know of anybody who has one for a personal review?

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Zenithbliss posted:

We're looking into getting chickens :3: and really like the look of the Omlet Eglu Cube, partly for ease of cleaning and the runs are supposedly fox proof.

I think their only benefit is the look, and that's in an ikea sort of way that may or may not appeal to everyone. Plus I'd like to see how one after 2 years in the outdoors. Other than that, I always thought Eglu products seem pretty tiny and expensive.

Here in Switzerland I'd be breaking multiple animal welfare laws by keeping the suggested number of chickens in the Eglu models and runs, no joke.

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 30, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Zenithbliss posted:

Jeehzus! Those Eglu Cubes are expensive! :stare: However, they look really sturdy (and easy to clean) plus they are also moveable and look predator proof! Plus how can resist a free "Grub and Glug" feeder and waterer.

http://www.omlet.us/products_services/products_services.php?cat=Eglu+Cube&subcat=Pricing

Here's a video: http://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/eglu_cube/

And yeah, I wouldn't stuff in as many chickens are the Eglu web site says. The Eglu looks good for 4 or 5 chickens and that's it. And only one nest box.

Chido! I bet your nieces would love a hot pink Eglu! It's too bad they don't spray paint the wire to match the Eglu color. Me, I'd want a blue or aqua one (which they don't offer).

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 30, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle, my nieces would be happy with a pink/blue/purple eglu with polkadots and hello kitty decor :keke:

Zenithbliss posted:

How many chickens are you planning to keep? If it's only a few, and you or your anybody in your household is skilled with tools, you could build a coop or chicken tractor that would also look nice. There are tons of coops here that could give you ideas for your own:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/small-chicken-coop-designs-pictures-of-chicken-coops

Now, if your coop is going to be stationary and you happen to have a huge yard for the chickens, you could try and do what I did. I bought a Rubbermaid horizontal resin coop, add vents and a pet door, and it has been working great for me so far. It's also very easy to clean, just a broom to pick up the pine shavings, and I can use a hose to finish rinsing the floor. I had got it for when I had 10 chickens and Roostroyer was being a dick chasing everybody inside my other (much smaller) coop; I have less chickens now and yet I think this coop size is great. They have plenty of room to find a spot to sleep in, and with the little improvements I've been making to it inside, it's become pretty convenient for both the chickens and me.

This is my coop. I haven't updated this page since I posted it, but it gives you an idea of how it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/resin-chicken-coop

Chido fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 1, 2013

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Thanks all, we were only planning to get 4 or 5 chicks anyway as it's definitely not suitable for 10.

And Chido i've bookmarked both the ideas for coops and your set-up thanks!

Wow something is more expensive in the US rather than the UK for once thats unusual,the Cube is £699 over here.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Zenithbliss posted:

Wow something is more expensive in the US rather than the UK for once thats unusual,the Cube is £699 over here.

Well, there is the "Eglu Go Chicken House," which has a lot less bells and whistles. It's only $500 US. It's made to be portable and has that "fox-proof" wire on the run, but it's only for four chickens.

http://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/eglu_go/

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 30, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Zenithbliss posted:

Thanks all, we were only planning to get 4 or 5 chicks anyway as it's definitely not suitable for 10.

And Chido i've bookmarked both the ideas for coops and your set-up thanks!

Now, if you wanna go all fancy (and since you are in the UK), you could get a coop like this one:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/Hobbit-Hole-Chicken-Coop-Small-Ships-Free-p1232.aspx

And get feathered feet chickens and name them after Tolkien characters :D

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Weirdest thing: my polish roo can't hold its head up/balance, but only at night. I've looked up stuff, but none of it really fits with him, because each morning I set him down outside, in the light, and he stands up perfectly and acts completely normal the rest of the day. Then night time comes, and back to being all stupid looking.

Could the feathers of his crest be blocking his vision making it harder to see at night? That seems the most logical cause if it only happens when it's dark out.

I need help with sexing this silver laced wyandotte. I bought her from a pullet bin, but I've started to have my doubts this week. She's got a straight comb instead of a rose comb which isn't unheard of but compared to the other two she's got a huge red comb. The SLW is six weeks old, as is the australorp, the sex link is eight weeks.

In her favor:
Thin legs
Sexed pullet
Quick to feather
I don't see any sickle or saddle feathers?

Also, Lincoln is the prettiest.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I'd say your wyandotte is a hen. All of my roosters had much redder combs at that age.

Is it alright to post other poultry here? I've been hatching a bunch of birds the past few months. Mostly guineas and turkeys, but there's a few bantams too.

The two day old guinea keets are adorable little balls of speed. They spend most of the day running around at the speed of light. The bantams are d'uccles, one is about three weeks old and the other two are two weeks old. They are surprisingly good at teaching other babies to eat.

Turkeys, guineas and bantams in the grow out pen. Poor turkeys go bald at two or three months and nobody wants to buy them again until they're fully grown. They're trying to eat me out of house and home before that :gonk:
Please ignore the wire, a tree fell and smashed the post in half. It's fixed now.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pogonodon posted:

Turkeys, guineas and bantams in the grow out pen. Poor turkeys go bald at two or three months and nobody wants to buy them again until they're fully grown. They're trying to eat me out of house and home before that :gonk:

Cute chicks! I'd love to see future photos of your birds when they get older. I think turkeys are pretty neat looking and of course we want to see your D'Uccles (a favorite around here). :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Pogonodon posted:

Is it alright to post other poultry here? I've been hatching a bunch of birds the past few months. Mostly guineas and turkeys, but there's a few bantams too.

The more poultry pictures, the better!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

unprofessional posted:

I also wondered if it was because of the crest that he simply can't see well at night. You could try tying his crest back with a scrunchie (so he can see better) and see if perhaps that the night time balance problem goes away.

Velvet Sparrow had a couple of hilarious photos of a Polish wearing a pink scrunchie. :D

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
It's definitely wry neck/crook neck. Even though he's fine during the day, I am noticing a very slight tilt to his head throughout the day. Gonna treat with vitamins. Apparently crested breeds like polish/silkies have part of their brain outside of their skull, and if it gets hit, the crook neck is an outcome.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Zenithbliss posted:

Slight aside but the best way to deter foxes is geese (well or alpaca's but thats a bit of a OTT measure for most people). Most foxes will avoid fields with geese in as its not worth the risk as one goose can cause it issues so a flock of them can cause them serious injury or kill them.

If you only have a few chickens though geese are a bit overkill; next best thing is a house like the Omlet Eglu Cube where the house is raised far off the ground, and basic raised houses aren't that much more expensive than your standard small chicken coop. Really if you know that foxes are in your area get a raised house before you get chickens as its better to do it before hand than come down one day and find a slaughter house instead of a chicken coop. Foxes will find a way around any scalable / diggable defense so the only way is to put the chickens out of their reach or put some guards around the chickens.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Well, we started building the new coop yesterday!

Here's the floor frame.

My dad and husband dug holes - we're going to put the coop up on stilts (for lack of a better word) so the girls have a shady spot under the coop when it's hot. The place we're building it is mostly shaded after about 2pm in the summer, but more shade is always better.

The girls assume this is theirs. Obviously.

And a brief chicken photobomb:

Daisy (our Faverolles)

Dahlia (our Blue Andalusian escape artist)

The chicks, Martha and Violet. My husband says that chicks their age (a little over a month) look like chocobos. :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Dunno about this heat we're having...it's been 100 degrees for the last week, today got up to 105, tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter and this will last for at least the next 4 days or so.

The chickens are handling the heat OK but not great. Tonight Kiev, our Giant Cochin hen hatched last year, is obviously suffering. She had been drinking tons of water and was hanging out next to my feet (something she doesn't do) and looking unhappy.

We go out every hour during the day and hose off the chickens, coop & run to keep them cool, plus we have a large pan of water in the coop for them to wade in (they love to do this on hot days) and I've been making them 'chicken popsicles'--I take a big plastic dish and fill it with chopped veggies & fruit, top off the dish with water & freeze it. It gives them a nice cold snack during the hottest part of the day as it slowly melts.

Anyone else battling the heat with their chickens? This sucks and I'm afraid I'll lose some birds but don't know what else I can do. :(

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Dunno about this heat we're having...it's been 100 degrees for the last week, today got up to 105, tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter and this will last for at least the next 4 days or so.

The chickens are handling the heat OK but not great. Tonight Kiev, our Giant Cochin hen hatched last year, is obviously suffering. She had been drinking tons of water and was hanging out next to my feet (something she doesn't do) and looking unhappy.

We go out every hour during the day and hose off the chickens, coop & run to keep them cool, plus we have a large pan of water in the coop for them to wade in (they love to do this on hot days) and I've been making them 'chicken popsicles'--I take a big plastic dish and fill it with chopped veggies & fruit, top off the dish with water & freeze it. It gives them a nice cold snack during the hottest part of the day as it slowly melts.

Anyone else battling the heat with their chickens? This sucks and I'm afraid I'll lose some birds but don't know what else I can do. :(
Not sure if it works for chickens, but on humans, get a spray bottle, fill it with water, and spray away at them. If you've ever been to some amusement parks in the summer, many of them now have misters/sprayers to keep people cool down while in line, and prevent heatstroke occurrences.

Maybe set up a sprinkler and let it run in the run with them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-how-to-help-chickens-survive.html seems to have put a lot of thought into it. Misters, fans, wading pools, ice blocks, emergency dunking.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey VS, I was just thinking about how hot it must be for your chicken in this heatwave. How about setting up a sprinkler that would only hit one corner of the run? That way if the chickens were hot, they could go over there to cool down in the sprinkler on their own. Is the run entirely shaded? Perhaps you need some of that green garden mesh along one or two of the sides to help block the late day sun. You could also get 12_String to build a chicken mister. ;)

What are you humans doing about the heat? You could always break down and get a window A/C unit for one room and go in there to cool down when you really need it.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Having a mister should help a lot. I don't remember if you have anything around the run right now, but if you have potted plants that can stand the sunlight , it could help to move them next to the run to add more shade. without covering the whole side of the run. If you put green mesh, I'd still suggest to put something in the bottom, maybe2-3 feet high boards on the sides that get direct sunlight, and then hose done the run. The shade would help lower the evaporation, hopefully allowing the ground to stay moist longer. Basically you want to create "layers" of shade on the sides of the run while leaving the top part clear enough to allow the hot air to flow. If you have a way to cover the roof of the run (in case it's metal), with something like wood planks, that could help too.

I did the chicken water dunking last year and it did help. I also would lock the chickens in the run because it has tress in there. I'd get the ground wet and the chickens wouldn't be able to get out and look for shade somewhere else, so I'd make sure they'd actually stay where is cooler. Then I'd get a spray hose and wet the chickens with it.

I'd also recommend to wet the ground again at night, so less water evaporates and it allows for the dirt to stay cool and moist for the chickens to scratch and take dust baths on the following morning.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Thanks everyone! While I can't run a sprinkler between 1-5PM (watering restrictions), I do go out every hour and hose everyone and everything off. This includes inside and outside the coop & run--ceiling, roof, walls, floor, everything. The phrase 'Mad as a wet hen' is true, BTW. We also have curtains hung on the outside (deters unauthorized nibbling/crop impactions) of the run wire walls made of burlap feed sacks which we wet down to provide evaporative cooling. Their wading pan is about 18 inches in diameter and roughly 6 inches deep and gets fresh, cold water in it every hour, but tomorrow I'll put an ice bottle in it (we have those on hand for the kid's bunny).

Here's what the coop & run look like, with fancy burlap curtains hung at chicken level:

Unfortunately the tree I planted last year at the left of the coop, hoping for at least SOME shade this year, died over the winter, and the Curly Willow plant I brought from the old place & planted on the right is growing, but isn't thriving in our poor soil and is only about 6 feet high right now. Our back yard is like Mars (years of neglect by previous homeowners) with no damned landscaping but we're working towards fixing that. We wet the ground well when we hose them off and they do enjoy dustbathing & laying in the cool earth. I had to leave my old mister setup at the old house and we hadn't put up a new one, we were just discussing a new one and where to put it today, funnily enough. The butt trim the big chickens got weeks ago is helping, too, since it cuts down on the amount of feathers they are carrying around.

The run is fully covered and stays nice and shady. The only thing I haven't tried is dunking them, they hadn't seemed to need it so far. The fan in the coop tries but can't do much.

As for us humans, while we don't have AC, we do have fans running in the house and keep it shuttered during the day which helps keep it as cool as possible--so if any of them get too bad we'll bring them into the house and have a hot chick party. :)

We had an afternoon thunderstorm today which helped cool things off earlier than yesterday, and I'm hoping for another tomorrow & day after. I'm also going to mix up some electrolyte solution for their water (and their popsicle) since the heat is no doubt stressing them out, can't hurt!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I put in a 25 dollar misting system from home depot since it hit 108 here the other day. I knew the heatwave was coming so I put it in when it was still in the 90s. I have it on a timer to go on at 2:30 and off at 7:30. It barely uses any water and the chickens hate it and hide on the other side of the run, but it really cools the air temp down. On the down side it makes their run kind of wet, so I added a bunch more sand so there isnt mud just clumpy sand. I also toss in a wedge of frozen watermelon for them all to eat at around 5:15 when I get home every day. It seems to help.

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
Do you have anything high up for them to roost on outside? I volunteered at the zoo for a few months and they had a wide ladder-like thing made of different sizes of tree limbs leaning up against the side of their chicken run. The rungs were wide enough that they could jump between them, but close enough they could hop up to the top. Their hens loved it so much I made one for mine and put it in a shady spot. They seem to enjoy getting up high to catch any breeze coming through, and it gives the lower status hens a place to escape when they are getting chased around by the big fatties.

Speaking of which, I feel your pain on the feather pecking Chido. My light brahma, supposedly known for their gentle nature, is terrorizing the other hens. Over the winter there were some wickedly cold and snowy days that we kept them shut up in the coop, and despite giving them cabbage and warm mush I think the overall boredom of those days taught her to pick at the other girls. Now whenever someone tries to take a dirt bath she stands over them calmly plucking out and eating their feathers like it's a treat. They all look so terrible. She doesn't peck their skin or outright attack, but my EE's cheek fluffs are gone and all the others have chopped feathers on their backs from shoulder to tail. Adding protein to their food seems to help, but unless they get supplemental protein every day in addition to their 18% pellets she starts up again. The pinless peepers just made her frustrated for a few days until she learned to look out the side first and then peck the feather so no use there. This spring we doubled the size of their run which helped for a few weeks. If they are out in the yard it hardly ever happens since they can spread out, but we have so many predators its not feasible for them to stay out when we're at work all day. I have some bumpa bits on the way now but if those don't work I don't know what I'll do. I raised her from a chick at the same time as the others. I don't know why she is such a brat now. I wish we could just get a rooster to sit on her fat rear end but they are banned in city limits. Anyone know of some nice quiet rooster breeds? Luckily my neighbors love the chickens (one even had her daughter bring her three pullets over for us to hen-sit when their house burned down in the recent wildfires) but a noisy rooster might change that.

I really don't want to get rid of the brahma because she is such a big goofy sweetheart otherwise. She sat on a soft-shell egg a few weeks ago and got covered in yolk so I brought her in for a bath. I've never bathed a chicken before, but she loved it. At one point when I was filling up the tub she just sank down in the lukewarm water, closed her eyes, and fell asleep :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

jenelle posted:

Do you have anything high up for them to roost on outside? I volunteered at the zoo for a few months and they had a wide ladder-like thing made of different sizes of tree limbs leaning up against the side of their chicken run.

Now whenever someone tries to take a dirt bath she stands over them calmly plucking out and eating their feathers like it's a treat. They all look so terrible.

I've heard that feather-eating is a sign that they need more protein in their diet, but sadly it seems like that the feather-eating behavior has now become ingrained in that chicken. Perhaps someone can offer you some suggestions.

VS: it would be a great idea if your chicken had elevated roosts outside. The ground is much hotter than the air and the chooks would indeed be cooler if they could sit up and under the shade. A mister would be a great idea. It would seem that unless the water is spilling out all over the ground, how would anyone know if you were running the mister during "restricted" watering times?* To me, if it's for the health of animals, it would be fine to run a mister (as opposed to watering your lawn).

*When Houston had its awful drought two summers ago (100+ temperature for 40 days IN A ROW), we had severe water rationing and could only water 3 days each week during certain times (and even then the water pressure was so low, I was only able to keep a few bushes watered). We had people with beautiful green lawns next to people with dead lawns and it was pretty obvious who was cheating (running their sprinkler systems at night). AFAIK, the scofflaws were ignored and never got ticketed. :mad:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
We got our first egg!

And it's a softshell. I guess I should have started giving them calcium sooner. But hey! First egg!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
It happens occasionally, even with mature hens. At least yours got started!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Lynza posted:

We got our first egg!

And it's a softshell. I guess I should have started giving them calcium sooner. But hey! First egg!

Wait until you get your first tiny egg. I call those 'hiccups'. :keke:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Wait until you get your first tiny egg. I call those 'hiccups'. :keke:

We call them 'wind eggs'

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

We had to put down Pesty. War is now grieving. :smith:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lacuna, our lone chicken, is doing pretty well by herself. She follows our lab around the yard. Its pretty cute. This isn't the dog that killed our other chicken. He doesn't have any aggression towards other animals so I'm not too worried. Squirrels have no fear of him to our dismay. He just watches them run around a few feet from him.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
AAAGH, CHICKENS. :argh:

My dad wakes me up this morning, telling me that my chickens aren't in the coop.
They're gone. There's feathers from Lincoln strewn around the backyard. I freak out and cry and pretty much accept them as dead because if the dogs have been outside with the chickens loose, there's no chance they'd survive. Mostly frustration and sadness about how this dumb hobby has kicked my rear end so thoroughly.
I go out there later on to see if I can find something, any sort of evidence or really just something to bury. I see a bird like mass in the corner, and realize it's Lincoln. Only...she's moving. And I pick her up, and she's being ridiculously tame. Other than a bald spot on the side, she's basically fine. And when Lincoln starts going LORP LORP LORP, I start hearing some chirps back in the cutest game of Marco Polo. And there's the Australorp, who doesn't seem to have a feather out of place. I walked around holding Lincoln like a football and she just chilled out and didn't fight me, which she has always done, so maybe she's finally figuring out that I'm in charge.

Which left the Wyandotte. The flighty, tiny fluffy pain in my rear end. I brought out Lincoln to help. LORP LORP LORP LORP chirp chirp chirp.... and I figure out that the rear end in a top hat Wyandotte has apparently decided that my next door neighbor's backyard is cool. :downs: YOU MADE THE RIGHT DECISION DUMBASS, BECAUSE THE OTHER NEIGHBOR HAS TWO DOGS THAT LIVE OUTSIDE. Great, except this neighbor is never home or doesn't answer the door and I'm afraid of getting shot if I go back there. I figure out that there's holes in the fence large enough for her to get through, so I take Lincoln to the holes and lure her over. Great, except she HATES me. It took me two hours to catch her because she figured out real quick that she could just run back through the hole. I'm a vegetarian but I always say that I'd eat an animal if I knew it was an rear end in a top hat, and Audrey was about ten minutes away from being my dinner because I was getting so frustrated.

So, all of the chickens got their wings clipped today, and their run is now covered by a tarp. Of course, my dumbass self didn't realize that you were only supposed to clip one wing. If one wing is good, both should be better, right? :downs: They seem to be less able to fly now so whatever. If the Wyandotte doesn't tame at least a little, I may consider rehoming her. I can only have a few chickens, and I'd like them to be friendly and not acting like I'm going to kill them every time I need to handle them.

I'm still not sure what happened to Lincoln, because there were a couple big clumps of feathers in the yard, and she has a decently big sized bald spot on her side. She and the australorp seem a little traumatized, though they were better once Audrey was back in the coop. Apparently my neighbor with the dogs saw one jumping from garage to garage, which I'm sure must have been a weird thing to see for someone who doesn't realize chickens can sort of fly.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Grape Soda posted:

My dad wakes me up this morning, telling me that my chickens aren't in the coop.

Woah! That's some MAJOR chicken drama right there! WOW! Someone asked over on the Chickam thread about chicken drama and I'll have to point them over here. :D

Glad you found your two nice chickens though. Until yesterday, I didn't know about clipping only ONE wing either, so don't feel bad.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Holy crap, hope they are OK.

And I always clip BOTH wings, quite short the first time my chicks (or any new chicken to my flock) go out into the yard. Some require a second wing clip once they molt & grow new feathers, but most of them by then have gotten to know where they live and that where they live is the BEST place to live for them, or have gotten to be big non-flying fatasses.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I never clip, so my chickens have a chance at escaping predators. Of course, I freerange, and have a completely enclosed coop at night, so different circumstances than most here, I think. Not saying anybody's wrong to clip, just sharing a different perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Grape Soda posted:

drat birds. So glad you got them back alive. Do you have only two chickens?