Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
I regards to writing a day to day, if you think it will take 3 hours, give it 5. You can always amuse yourself if you have time to kill but there is nothing worse than rushing all over the place trying to cram it all in. Plus some of the things I saw in Europe (I'm Australian also) were so different that I stayed there for far longer than I planned, and enjoyed it because I wasn't sticking to some play by play itinerary and could just take it easy.

It's better to just get the information about the places you want to go and the things you want to see but don't lock a day in. Then just take it day by day and try and get as much in as you can, regardless of whether you get to everything its still going to be a bucket full of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I suggest the area around St. Goar, Bacharach, Rudesheim (a little touristy), and Boppard.

Ride a bike or take the KD boat between Rudesheim and Boppard, see a few of the castles (Marksburg,Rheinfels,Burg Eltz near Cochem on the Mosel,etc.), there's a neat old church with some remains in Boppard, drink local Riesling wine, and the Mosel is really nice and has even fewer people.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Octy posted:

Ah, but you live in Switzerland. It's a 24 hour flight to Europe for me plus a $2000 return ticket (I was lucky to get it on a hugely discounted sale, actually). For Australians these things take lots of time and money and we want to make the most of it by seeing as much as possible because who knows when we'll next be there?

This is the strategy my wife and I take wherever we go, including when we visited Tokyo or when we go traveling in the states or when we finally make it to Oz in 2015. Like I said, this is just us but I guess we're just "the journey is the destination" kinda folks.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

greazeball posted:

This is the strategy my wife and I take wherever we go, including when we visited Tokyo or when we go traveling in the states or when we finally make it to Oz in 2015. Like I said, this is just us but I guess we're just "the journey is the destination" kinda folks.

Eh, I like to be super organised in my personal life so it's not unusual that I'd want to be super organised on a holiday. The worst thing I can think of is being spontaneous at any moment. I know that makes me sound like a bore but I still end up having fun, but I wouldn't expect any people with me to have as much fun, hence why this is a solo trip.

Octy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 30, 2013

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

LaserWash posted:

I suggest the area around St. Goar, Bacharach, Rudesheim (a little touristy), and Boppard.

Ride a bike or take the KD boat between Rudesheim and Boppard, see a few of the castles (Marksburg,Rheinfels,Burg Eltz near Cochem on the Mosel,etc.), there's a neat old church with some remains in Boppard, drink local Riesling wine, and the Mosel is really nice and has even fewer people.

These do look nice, although I'd have to find a new "base" in the area, since they're a bit far by train from Heidelberg. As I'm locked into Heidelberg for a few days, any suggestions along the Neckar? It looks like there's a lot of good stuff to the east, so if nothing else, I'll just hop on the S-bahn and see what I can find.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Octy posted:

Eh, I like to be super organised in my personal life so it's not unusual that I'd want to be super organised on a holiday. The worst thing I can think of is being spontaneous at any moment. I know that makes me sound like a bore but I still end up having fun, but I wouldn't expect any people with me to have as much fun, hence why this is a solo trip.

Ah well if you're solo then you can actually pull it off. Intricate planning falls apart quick when more than one person is involved. Have fun and may all your trains be on time!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Are you looking for a place to stay or do you even plan to stay a night or two between Heidelberg and Belgium?

Sorry, I was under the assumption that you wanted to spend a few nights between Heidelberg and Belgium. If so, I could recommend a town or two to look in and suggest you look into a family owned pension and not some name brand hotel.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
Any Estonian goons around? I'm coming over to Tallinn with a few friends to see a gig on Friday, we'll be in the city thu-sat. As we're from Finland we have all been really really drunk in the Old Town a few times before so looking for other stuff to do. We don't have a lot of stuff set yet, probably going to try F-Hoone for dinner on thursday, maybe visit Kumu on friday. What are the best places to go for breakfast / lunch? Where's the best cake? Are there any cool exhibitions going on right now? Where can we chill out in the evening if we're not that into getting hammered but want to go out? We're goign to be staying in the old town most likely.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sorry wrong thread

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 1, 2013

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Jack Flint posted:

Any Estonian goons around? I'm coming over to Tallinn with a few friends to see a gig on Friday, we'll be in the city thu-sat. As we're from Finland we have all been really really drunk in the Old Town a few times before so looking for other stuff to do. We don't have a lot of stuff set yet, probably going to try F-Hoone for dinner on thursday, maybe visit Kumu on friday. What are the best places to go for breakfast / lunch? Where's the best cake? Are there any cool exhibitions going on right now? Where can we chill out in the evening if we're not that into getting hammered but want to go out? We're goign to be staying in the old town most likely.

Yeah, hi. Hell Hunt has great food. Kompressor has pancakes. Pagariliisu has all sorts of cakes that are brilliant. If you're in the old town, you're sort of stuck in the drunken loudness caused mostly by your own kind. Just try to find an emptier cafe or something go to Katusekino, which is an open air cinema on top of Kaubamaja and is quite lovely.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

jyrka posted:

Yeah, hi. Hell Hunt has great food. Kompressor has pancakes. Pagariliisu has all sorts of cakes that are brilliant. If you're in the old town, you're sort of stuck in the drunken loudness caused mostly by your own kind. Just try to find an emptier cafe or something go to Katusekino, which is an open air cinema on top of Kaubamaja and is quite lovely.

Thanks. I've heard Kalamaja is supposed to be cool - any tips on where to go there?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jack Flint posted:

Thanks. I've heard Kalamaja is supposed to be cool - any tips on where to go there?

No idea. Throughout my life it's been an area of just poorly maintained wooden houses and nothing else. But it's keeps coming up in recently in conversations with foreigners. Maybe there is something there now? Maybe someone wrote something about it on some tourism website and it snowballed from there? Who knows...

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Jack Flint posted:

Do you mean this weekend? There's Őllesummer, a four day orgy of beer, music and food.

quote:

No idea. Throughout my life it's been an area of just poorly maintained wooden houses and nothing else. But it's keeps coming up in recently in conversations with foreigners. Maybe there is something there now? Maybe someone wrote something about it on some tourism website and it snowballed from there? Who knows...
That's correct, but since it is mostly run down old wooden blue-collar housing, it's also pretty cheap as far as real estate goes. Since it's close to the Old Town, it also allows for some pretty cool restaurants and such.

vvv I've not visited the area often, but for jyrka: nami-nami forums keep a hand on the pulse as far as new places.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 2, 2013

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

pigdog posted:

Since it's close to the Old Town, it also allows for some pretty cool restaurants and such.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm quite interested in going and seeing what the fuss is all about.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

pigdog posted:

Do you mean this weekend? There's Őllesummer, a four day orgy of beer, music and food.

Yeah, the gig is part of that - I'm not 100% sure if our tickets are valid only for the show or for the whole day. Have to check on that.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

If you like football there's a Europa League qualifying match between FC Flora and some team from Albania on Thursday. I think it's free entrance as well.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hi euro-goons! I'm currently spending a few days in each of the following cities : Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, London then having two days in Edinburgh before flying home to Australia. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for weird/unusual things to check out in any of these places. Or must-eat-at restaurants. I'm not on a tight budget, but I am four months pregnant so that rules out any intoxicating activities or things involving a shitton of walking.

We're in Amsterdam now, going to see the pipe museum today and the "our lord in the attic" this afternoon. Does anyone know if the tattoo museum is still open? I seem to recall something about it being shut down in the tattoo thread but I'm hoping that's not the case?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Foodwise we have a whole thread for London over here (right now the big thing in London again is BURGERS! Everyone's talking burgers. So much burgers.)

While I was in Berlin I had a brilliant meal at Monsieur Vuongs.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Can anyone tell me the direction to 28 Rue Lecourbe,Paris ,FR from Gare de Lyon using public transit?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kolta posted:

Can anyone tell me the direction to 28 Rue Lecourbe,Paris ,FR from Gare de Lyon using public transit?

Bit late, but if you still need directions, I just had a look on google maps and it looks like the thing to do is get on the M6 metro line at Bercy (in the direction of C de G) and get off at Sčvres - Lecourbe

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My honeymoon will be 3 nights in Amsterdam then 9 nights in Berlin in October. I have never traveled out of the states before and have some questions:

1) Usually on vacation I like to use my smartphone to tell me where things to do nearby are, and to use it as a GPS. To do this I need a data plan. I have a GSM phone (Galaxy Nexus), so I should be able to just buy a prepaid SIM card right? Is there one company that is better than others? Is there one I can use in both Amsterdam and Berlin?

2) Is it at all common to ever find movies and/or theater in English in either of these cities? Subtitles alone would be fine.

3) I would love suggestions on not super touristy things to do or see in either city. We only have 3 nights in Amsterdam so it isn't a lot of time, but with 9 nights in Berlin I feel like we should be able to explore. Any day trips outside of Berlin worth making the trek for?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

In Amsterdam all movies are English with Dutch subtitles, in Germany I have no idea. But generally the movie title will be translated as well if it's a foreign movie.

Get a nice loveseat with your wife at Tuschinsky in Amsterdam, it's a nice experience (and the cinema is awesome).

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Jeoh posted:

in Germany I have no idea.

Maybe people that live in Berlin can correct me, but it looks like this place right off Potsdamer Platz has a lot of the current movies in English. Look for OV (original language) or OmU (with subtitles) to see when they're showing it in English.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Kolta posted:

If you've got Internet, you can use http://www.ratp.fr/ to see a recommendation (for future use).
They recommend taking the 89 bus.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008
I just got back from Paris. I saw one pickpocket (at the Luxembourg metro station) and he was being held in a half-nelson by some French police officers. Didn't have any trouble whatsoever, apart from another scammer who tried to get me to give her a euro for what I thought was a free newspaper by following me round and showing me a picture of a toddler while talking in very fast, very quiet French. And Jesus Christ, the Champs de Mars! Full of people trying to get me to sign a petition, which I'd heard was a popular pickpocket scam, so I just gave them a hearty "Nyet" or "Nein", depending on my whim. (Actually, it's amazing how many non-scamming people will start speaking to you in German if you have a fabric carrier bag that says "Hamburg" on it. Fine by me - I speak it.)

I got to go up the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe - I was there at the right time to see the ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which was very moving. I'm already making plans to go back to Paris one day, in a different season - I have terrible sunburn.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013

Chin Strap posted:

1) Usually on vacation I like to use my smartphone to tell me where things to do nearby are, and to use it as a GPS. To do this I need a data plan. I have a GSM phone (Galaxy Nexus), so I should be able to just buy a prepaid SIM card right? Is there one company that is better than others? Is there one I can use in both Amsterdam and Berlin?

I went to Scandinavia and Europe for 6 weeks and never took a sim-card. Every hostel worth mentioning has wifi and every hostel will give you a city map, you really don't need to pay any money for your phone. If your staying in a hotel it might be a little bit different since they don't have as much free travel info (I found).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

3) I would love suggestions on not super touristy things to do or see in either city. We only have 3 nights in Amsterdam so it isn't a lot of time, but with 9 nights in Berlin I feel like we should be able to explore. Any day trips outside of Berlin worth making the trek for?

I'm also looking for Berlin suggestions.

I live in China now and flights from China to the US are so ridiculous at the moment I actually saved a significant amount of cash buying tickets through Europe instead. So basically I've decided to translate those sick plane ticket savings into probably no real savings at all, but hey, I've never been to Europe so why not take a short trip. I have a friend who lives in the Netherlands and wanted to spend some time in Germany, so she'll be joining me... but she's Canadian and as clueless as I am about the place.

We'd both be content just wandering around eating and drinking our way through the city. I've spent the last 14 months in China so I'm in need of food and beer and preferably something with cheese. Any suggestions on must-haves for food and drink? I have 3 full days.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Ulysiss posted:

I went to Scandinavia and Europe for 6 weeks and never took a sim-card. Every hostel worth mentioning has wifi and every hostel will give you a city map, you really don't need to pay any money for your phone.

Don't forget that you can download the map data for the whole city to your phone and you won't need to have a data connection for the GPS to work.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Ulysiss posted:

I went to Scandinavia and Europe for 6 weeks and never took a sim-card. Every hostel worth mentioning has wifi and every hostel will give you a city map, you really don't need to pay any money for your phone. If your staying in a hotel it might be a little bit different since they don't have as much free travel info (I found).

Yes but I don't mind paying for it. It is a convenience factor for me. I just want to know what companies are good.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm also looking for Berlin suggestions.

I live in China now and flights from China to the US are so ridiculous at the moment I actually saved a significant amount of cash buying tickets through Europe instead. So basically I've decided to translate those sick plane ticket savings into probably no real savings at all, but hey, I've never been to Europe so why not take a short trip. I have a friend who lives in the Netherlands and wanted to spend some time in Germany, so she'll be joining me... but she's Canadian and as clueless as I am about the place.

We'd both be content just wandering around eating and drinking our way through the city. I've spent the last 14 months in China so I'm in need of food and beer and preferably something with cheese. Any suggestions on must-haves for food and drink? I have 3 full days.

Well the two trademark foods of Berlin are Currywurst and Döner Kebap, so make sure to try these! You should also ask in the Germany thread, there are a couple of Berlin goons around.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Neris posted:

While I was in Berlin I had a brilliant meal at Monsieur Vuongs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just up the street at Wombats so I went there for dinner. Best Vietnamese food I've ever had.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Chin Strap posted:

Yes but I don't mind paying for it. It is a convenience factor for me. I just want to know what companies are good.

In Germany, Telekom is the provider with the good coverage. Since this year roaming fees have been a little bit less rapey in the EU than they were before, but it's still very profitable to buy a new SIM card in every country so you pretty much have to switch in the Netherlands.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Made it to Paris. Boy am I happy to be in a hotel. Now, I got a EU student card in my possession. 100% legitimate ID from the university of Nitra in Slovakia. How, or what can I do at the louvre. And yes, I'm under 26 years of age.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kolta posted:

Made it to Paris. Boy am I happy to be in a hotel. Now, I got a EU student card in my possession. 100% legitimate ID from the university of Nitra in Slovakia. How, or what can I do at the louvre. And yes, I'm under 26 years of age.

Go to the Louvre and skip the ticket lines, just go show it to the people checking tickets.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

HookShot posted:

Go to the Louvre and skip the ticket lines, just go show it to the people checking tickets.

It's that easy. Like, I don't need to be a history student or art student. All I say is " j'étudie en Slovaquie" and that's all?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kolta posted:

It's that easy. Like, I don't need to be a history student or art student. All I say is " j'étudie en Slovaquie" and that's all?
I've only ever done it with my EU passport, but yeah. I just showed them the passport and they nod and tell you to go in.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

So I now have a 4 hour delay at Berlin Tegel and get to find another AA flight to LAX once I get to Chicago O'Hare. Lovely.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Got into the Louvre today without a hitch! Amazing place.

Ulysiss
Jun 6, 2013
When I went to the Louvre I kept forgetting about the art work, the ceiling itself is just fantastic, every inch is decorated in minuscule detail. Did you manage to see those massive paintings they have of kings being coronated(sp?) and that sort of thing. I had never seen a painting that big before. Absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ulysiss posted:

When I went to the Louvre I kept forgetting about the art work, the ceiling itself is just fantastic, every inch is decorated in minuscule detail. Did you manage to see those massive paintings they have of kings being coronated(sp?) and that sort of thing. I had never seen a painting that big before. Absolutely amazing.

That's the painting of the coronation of Napoleon, who declared himself emperor after the French killed their king :ssh: