Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rosecoloredgaming's Earthbound Zero repro now has an official price: :siren:$150:siren:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Also, this was finally released today:

:siren: http://ff6.ocremix.org/ :siren:

Freaky, I had just realized today that I'd been remiss on my FF6 project. I think I'm going to bail on the MSU-1 side of things unless someone's willing to assist me in getting SOMETHING working with the game. I'll try to get a GBA-scripted version of the game out soon, possibly even tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

univbee posted:

Rosecoloredgaming's Earthbound Zero repro now has an official price: :siren:$150:siren:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really.. don't like a lot of those tracks. Someone should compile a list of the ones they like, because I just picked at random.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Freaky, I had just realized today that I'd been remiss on my FF6 project. I think I'm going to bail on the MSU-1 side of things unless someone's willing to assist me in getting SOMETHING working with the game. I'll try to get a GBA-scripted version of the game out soon, possibly even tonight.

I can help with the msu thing if you need gruntwork done.

If you need actually programmer skill flyboi is your man.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

:h: but I didn't see where it says how to "activate" 16:9 mode.

Unless I keep that chart handy every time I boot up a game, I am also going to have no idea it supports 16:9 and my XRGB Mini is going to be displaying it in 4:3. Does the game itself give indication that it will run in 16:9 anywhere?

It says they wanted to make a physical soundtrack.. Does this mean actual real CDs? Would they happen to be for sale anywhere? Not that I've listened yet, but if it's at least decent, I always love having a real set of discs on my shelf.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Midnight Raider posted:

It says they wanted to make a physical soundtrack.. Does this mean actual real CDs? Would they happen to be for sale anywhere? Not that I've listened yet, but if it's at least decent, I always love having a real set of discs on my shelf.

I believe that ship has sailed: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ocremix/an-epic-5-disc-ff6-fan-album-from-oc-remix-take-tw

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Discount Viscount posted:

Wrong Adventure on the wrong Island.

It has to do with Startropics.

Shoot, you're right. For some reason I had the two confused.

Still, Adventure Island is a pretty good game as well, despite being completely different from what I was thinking.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I have a spare Atari 2600 6 switcher Sears Telegames edition with that little coax attachment from radio shack that makes the video suck slightly less if some goon wants it for free. I think I have some games for it as well.

Don't forget there was a recently discovered code for F-Zero on the Gamecube that unlocks the arcade version of the game.

Oh, so that would would explain why the price doubled.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 2, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I can help with the msu thing if you need gruntwork done.

If you need actually programmer skill flyboi is your man.

It's definitely more on the programming side of things. Basically I need someone to get a single piece of music playing through the MSU-1 and show me how they did it (what tools they used and how they used them). I know the gist is "figure out how the game is playing music and intercept the call to point to an if/else based on if an MSU-1 is present or not, stored in an empty section of the game ROM", I'm just...not very good at SNES Assembly.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

It's definitely more on the programming side of things. Basically I need someone to get a single piece of music playing through the MSU-1 and show me how they did it (what tools they used and how they used them). I know the gist is "figure out how the game is playing music and intercept the call to point to an if/else based on if an MSU-1 is present or not, stored in an empty section of the game ROM", I'm just...not very good at SNES Assembly.

Unfortunately I'm super busy with work this month so my time is limited but here's a basic overview -
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=493

If you setup a disassembler you can set breakpoints to where these songs are loaded and then you can step backwards or forwards to find the actual sound routine when the song is played to destroy.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Extra posted:

I have a spare Atari 2600 6 switcher Sears Telegames edition with that little coax attachment from radio shack that makes the video suck slightly less if some goon wants it for free. I think I have some games for it as well.

I found one of those at a garage sale a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately it has a loose AC jack that only works if you jiggle it to the right position and the video signal intermittently blinks while playing. I think I know how to fix both but I've been swamped with too much stuff to work on it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sizone posted:

Mad Dog McCree is, against good taste, sense and judgement, kind of considered a classic or monumental kind of thing. You know, like Nighttrap. You would be hard pressed to find someone who feels that way about the Zelda CDi games. Also, Nintendo has an image to protect. A rerelease is less likely than Disney rereleasing Songs of the South.

They re-released the Zelda TV series already. That was far more terrible than the Zelda CDI games.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Don't forget there was a recently discovered code for F-Zero on the Gamecube that unlocks the arcade version of the game.

holy crap thank you. I once drove hundreds of miles out of my way to play one with the moving vehicle.

where do you go to keep up with the latest developments in old games?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

iastudent posted:

I found one of those at a garage sale a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately it has a loose AC jack that only works if you jiggle it to the right position and the video signal intermittently blinks while playing. I think I know how to fix both but I've been swamped with too much stuff to work on it.

I really wish I could live in the amazing neighborhoods some of you guys live in. I've been going to garage sales for the past month and a half, every weekend, and have yet to find a single game-related thing. Apparently, I've just got really bad luck.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Are gamecube component cables worth the cost? Is the gameboy player the only thing I would need them vs. just using the wii in 480p?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Are gamecube component cables worth the cost? Is the gameboy player the only thing I would need them vs. just using the wii in 480p?

They're $130, how could they possibly be worth the cost?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

wa27 posted:

They're $130, how could they possibly be worth the cost?

How much is 420p Game Boy Advance gaming worth to you?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
After years of searching for one at a decent price, a Game Boy Player is finally a part of my little retro gaming family! When I first got my Gamecube there was a deal at Gamestop to get one for free, OR two games of your choice. I picked the games of course. You had your choice of one game from each of the two tiers, one full of GREAT games and the other not so great. So I got Wind Waker and Bloodrayne.

But now my Gamecube is finally an actual cube. I hooked up the Player last night and went through some of my favorite GBA and Game Boy games like Drill Dozer and Link's Awakening. I also discovered a game I've had for a couple years and haven't played despite it being from one of my favorite series.

Demi Kids is MegaTen + Pokemon. I love both of those things so how bad can it be?

Man oh man it can be bad. It's like the worst of the Poke-ripoff cash grabs. It's sub-season 10 Yu Gi Oh. It's like someone never even played Pokemon but thought, "Hey these Medabots are popular, lets make a shittier version of THAT."

It's actually pretty hilarious for the first 20 minutes or so. It's so poorly written and horrible looking. Then the terrible, terrible battle system starts and it's not even fun in a bad way anymore. I kinda wanna do a Lets Play of it.

But really, it's terrible. Probably the worst MegaTen game.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Well that just killed the little bit of interest I had. I mean, it's just your standard repro with a gimmicky case. I get that making the molds for the plastic is expensive, but there's no way this guy is gonna sell enough of these at that price to recoup his expenses. A video game collector might spend a couple hundred bucks on some rare game or whatever, but not on a repro.

quote:

Oh man oh man oh man. If you get a GBA scripted version of FF6 on the SNES, that would be freaking awesome. I've been putting off playing through the game because I really don't care for the original translation, and the FF6 gba version is flawed even with the graphics/music patch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I got most of the translation portion of FF6 to a "good enough" stage, I think I have to import the in-battle dialogue (like the "don't attack Whelk's shell" bit). It definitely won't be done since there's bound to be some spacing issues and some slight inconsistencies but I'll release it then, the horde can play and then yell at me for all the poo poo I did wrong and then I can fix them without the :effort: of personally 100% playing through the game again, especially since I have other similar projects I'm trying to figure out.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

WendigoJohnson posted:

They re-released the Zelda TV series already. That was far more terrible than the Zelda CDI games.

Wait, the cartoon that aired on Fridays during the Super Mario Cartoon?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Parlett316 posted:

Wait, the cartoon that aired on Fridays during the Super Mario Cartoon?

Yep. That got released on DVD at one point. I bought it from the bargain bin at the grocery store.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

G-Prime posted:

Yep. That got released on DVD at one point. I bought it from the bargain bin at the grocery store.

Some friends of mine did exactly this in college, I can't remember what store's bargain bin we found it in.

We played "Excuuuuuuse me, Princess" drinking games. It was terrible/amazing. :allears:

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Ha, I'm a sucker for things I was a fan of when I was a child. I will be purchasing it post haste.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RZA Encryption posted:

holy crap thank you. I once drove hundreds of miles out of my way to play one with the moving vehicle.

You're welcome. Also, there's a way to play Mario Kart Arcade GP, but it requires a bit of hackery and I don't know if I am allowed to post about it here (though is you search for the instructions if you are so inclined, there's guides out there). Basically those games were based off of GC-hardware, and we all know GC-hardware is inside the Wii. People got Mario Kart Arcade GP to run on the Wii. Interestingly enough, the GC wasn't powerful enough because of the hacks that were required for it to work. Good thing the Gamecube version of F-Zero had the arcade mode discovered, because hackers for whatever reason couldn't get F-Zero arcade to work on the Wii.

RZA Encryption posted:

where do you go to keep up with the latest developments in old games?

Honestly just this thread.

Midnight Raider posted:

Yeah I donated to the kickstarter so I will be getting a physical set (along with the bonus of FF7 by OCRemix from years back). I believe that's the only way to get it, though.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I own the complete series of Legend of Zelda on dvd as well the complete Super Mario Brothers Super Show, the complete Super Mario Bros 3 cartoon, the complete Super Mario World/Captain N cartoon and the "Complete" Captain N: The Game Master. Does anyone know if a crappy little keyboard vacuum is safe to use to clean out an NES?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

fatpat268 posted:

Well that just killed the little bit of interest I had. I mean, it's just your standard repro with a gimmicky case. I get that making the molds for the plastic is expensive, but there's no way this guy is gonna sell enough of these at that price to recoup his expenses. A video game collector might spend a couple hundred bucks on some rare game or whatever, but not on a repro.

This price is almost acceptable for something like Pier Solar - even if it were the initial price - simply because it would be a product that was produced by the seller from top to bottom. As you said, this is merely a repro in a fancy case, so there's no development time or creative output you're paying RCG for.

That said, everything from RCG is grossly overpriced so I'm not sure anyone should be that surprised.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So, I'm looking at getting UGC's for my N64 games just so I can have titles on spines. Has anyone here made some using the ones on the Cover Project? Did they come out pretty nice and any tips for someone looking to do around 50 games?

I do have the original cardboard boxes for most of them but they don't withstand a lot of messing with and many are showing wear on the creases where I opened them a lot when I originally got them.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 2, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

That said, everything from RCG is grossly overpriced so I'm not sure anyone should be that surprised.

To put that price into perspective, you can get a Famicom N8 for less than that. Hell, the non-gold Stone Age Gamer Famicom N8 is only :10bux: more.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Extra posted:

Oh, so that would would explain why the price doubled.

I would be willing to take it off your hands if you still have it. I have yet to add an atari to my collection.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

So, I'm looking at getting UGC's for my N64 games just so I can have titles on spines.

wtf is a UGC?

(time passes...)

oh holy gently caress.

DisposableHero posted:

Has anyone here made some using the ones on the Cover Project?

wtf is the cover project?

(more time passes...)

oh poo poo.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

RZA Encryption posted:

wtf is a UGC?

(time passes...)

oh holy gently caress.

(more time passes...)

oh poo poo.

I know right? So now I look at these
http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG
and then these http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cat_id=4 and start to develop a twitch.

I have the sudden need to buy a couple cartons of cases and go to town making inserts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RZA Encryption posted:

wtf is a UGC?

(time passes...)

oh holy gently caress.

(more time passes...)

oh poo poo.

Yeah dude, UGCs are the poo poo. Makes your collection look really loving spiffy, especially with all the proper covers. Putting all my classic SNES games in UGCs is how my :retrogames: journey began, then I had to get the rest of them...

My only complaint about UGCs is they're all "plenty of room for instruction manuals" but that's almost a lie. You can squeeze them in there and it works okay, but I'd really prefer if the boxes were just a smidge bigger and they had a clip to hold the manual. As is, the manual falls out every time I go to grab the game, and you have to place it in the box just so and take care when you close the case so you don't accidentally fold your manual. :colbert:

Although all of this just makes me respect Sega more in retrospect. Genesis games came in really nice cases, and whaddya know, Genesis game boxes are easy to find nowadays. SNES came in crappy cardboard that your mom would throw away, and guess what? Now they're "rare"-ish and will cost you a bit to track down; plus they're just poo poo to store games in. They do look sweet, though. :swoon:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 2, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The Cutting Room Floor just posted about this today. It's hilarious:

http://tcrf.net/Recca

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DisposableHero posted:

So, I'm looking at getting UGC's for my N64 games just so I can have titles on spines. Has anyone here made some using the ones on the Cover Project? Did they come out pretty nice and any tips for someone looking to do around 50 games?

I do have the original cardboard boxes for most of them but they don't withstand a lot of messing with and many are showing wear on the creases where I opened them a lot when I originally got them.

I did around 80 n64 games from the cover project and they came out great. I went to Staples and chose legal sized paper. Make sure the files are all sized correctly before you print them out because staples can't change them. Paper quality honestly doesn't seem to matter much. Regular legal paper and glossy legal paper honestly looked the same once they were in the cases themselves. Printer and ink quality are what really make the difference, so pick whatever paper is cheaper.

Staples will even cut them down to size for you, but make sure to say you want no white borders. Because there has been a few times where they cut the paper and leave about a half inch of paper on all sides because certain employees somehow can't line it up to the edge of the cover.

Rule of thumb is if you see an old person working at the Staples counter they'll do whatever you want and they'll do it well. Younger people screw it up or refuse to do it at all because of their gross misunderstandings or willful ignorance of the copyright laws.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

DisposableHero posted:

Also, for god's sake make sure you get the UGCs that have the sleeves :saddowns:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anatidaephobia posted:

Also, for god's sake make sure you get the UGCs that have the sleeves :saddowns:

This too, however there are ways to still get a cover onto the sleeveless cases. It's just far more expensive and time consuming,

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

WendigoJohnson posted:

This too, however there are ways to still get a cover onto the sleeveless cases. It's just far more expensive and time consuming,

I know; I've bought some labels from fatpat, but that basically negated any money I saved from buying from a Canadian seller (who was carrying the sleeveless model)

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

univbee posted:

Why would anyone buy that at that price when you easily buy a better looking repro for half that price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

bpc908 posted:

Why would anyone buy that at that price when you easily buy a better looking repro for half that price

We've established this...

quote:

• All new cover art printed on archival paper using archival inks, placed in a sturdy plastic case to protect your investment.

It's an investment, unlike other shoddy repros.

• Locked thread