Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

My husband loves reading this thread over my shoulder and requested that I post this meatloaf I made the other night. He said it's everything that's wrong with American bacon culture. It's a pork sausage/ground beef meatloaf wrapped in bacon weave with a 2 lb block of cheddar and stuffed mushrooms in the center. He ate one bite and wanted to gag. I'm not sorry, he can't help being foreign.

I couldn't eat it either, I don't get how bacon culture got this far, nor can I figure out why the hell I thought it would be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Toriori posted:

I didn't know I had the 'cilantro gene' until I grew a poo poo load of it. I had such an awesome greenhouse that year, so proud of it all. The basil, the parsley, the rosemary...then I put the cilantro in my mouth and stared at the plant like some horrible accident had occurred, like I had accidentally swallowed a teaspoon of green Dawn dish soap.

I'm OK with cilantro; to me, it has a vaguely...plastic-y taste, but not enough to overwhelm the other flavor notes it brings. My wife, however, can't stand it. I've brewed wheat beer with coriander seed and it's an entirely different taste.

To contribute:

I drank the one on the left. It required several chasers.

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Jul 4, 2013

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm OK with cilantro; to me, it has a vaguely...plastic-y taste, but not enough to overwhelm the other flavor notes it brings. My wife, however, can't stand it. I've brewed wheat beer with coriander seed and it's an entirely different taste.

To contribute:

My roommate drinks one of these almost every day. I laugh every single time I open the fridge and see one, but I guess someone buys it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Stairs posted:

My husband loves reading this thread over my shoulder and requested that I post this meatloaf I made the other night. He said it's everything that's wrong with American bacon culture. It's a pork sausage/ground beef meatloaf wrapped in bacon weave with a 2 lb block of cheddar and stuffed mushrooms in the center. He ate one bite and wanted to gag. I'm not sorry, he can't help being foreign.

I couldn't eat it either, I don't get how bacon culture got this far, nor can I figure out why the hell I thought it would be a good idea.
One of two traditional Danish meatloaves (Forloren Hare/Mock Hare) is made with a bacon shell, so I don't think this really counts as going far. It's a nice way to add a bit of texture and flavor to a meatloaf, and it goes well with the traditional sweet(ish) loaf juice-based sauce with redcurrant gel in the case of the mock hare. Really, it's all about how you use it. Now if you made it only bacon weave and cheddar...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to bring back bat chat, but it occurs to me that if you boiled the bat alive in the soup it'd probably be urinating/defecating itself in the process...

:barf:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

PainterofCrap posted:

We bought a can of one of these as a dare one NYE. I took one sip and gagged, I think between us we managed to get through maybe 1/8 of a can before we poured the rest down the sink.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One of two traditional Danish meatloaves (Forloren Hare/Mock Hare) is made with a bacon shell, so I don't think this really counts as going far. It's a nice way to add a bit of texture and flavor to a meatloaf, and it goes well with the traditional sweet(ish) loaf juice-based sauce with redcurrant gel in the case of the mock hare. Really, it's all about how you use it. Now if you made it only bacon weave and cheddar...

I'll be less kind, that meatloaf looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKu3PcgYrU

AKA. Like a huge turd. I've had exactly 1 good meatloaf in my life. It had Ground Lamb & Pork, Figs, Almonds, Feta, Fig Jus, and served on Sweet Potato mash. I don't see bacon anywhere in this equation.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

PainterofCrap posted:

To contribute:

These keep getting posted and all I can say is:

Make your own with a better beer. They're good.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think you can find the grossest food by looking at what the oldest, hardest dudes eat, around here that's

Beondegi, or, silkworm pupae boiled in water and soy sauce.

They're in Korean bars in the same way you find peanuts or pretzels at American bars. They're not... bad, really. They just taste like stale tortillas, or like really lovely canned peas. You eat them because they're there and you're pretty drunk, but I've never seen anyone go out of their way to eat them unless they were super old and super hard.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Nostrum posted:

I've had exactly 1 good meatloaf in my life. It had Ground Lamb & Pork, Figs, Almonds, Feta, Fig Jus, and served on Sweet Potato mash. I don't see bacon anywhere in this equation.

My meaturd might have been too much, but that thing you describe sounds disgusting. Figs and almonds don't go in meatloaf. Neither does 2 lbs of cheddar, but still.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nostrum posted:

I'll be less kind, that meatloaf looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQKu3PcgYrU

AKA. Like a huge turd. I've had exactly 1 good meatloaf in my life. It had Ground Lamb & Pork, Figs, Almonds, Feta, Fig Jus, and served on Sweet Potato mash. I don't see bacon anywhere in this equation.
Well, the bacon is far from overpowering in forloren hare, and the sauce is sweet(ish) like I mentioned, so it has some of the same flavors as the one you describe here. Meatloaves are kind of a tricky subject though, since they can practically be anything as long as it kinda looks like bread made of meat. (And a terrible one is really terrible, like the meatturd in the video.)

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

MageMage posted:

Found this on Facebook with the caption "So I ordered a ceasar sald at the JFK airport":

Supposedly Caesar Cardini's original Caesar salad was made with whole romaine leaves, but I've never seen just a hear with some dressing thrown on top and croutons on the side.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Onion Knight posted:

I think you can find the grossest food by looking at what the oldest, hardest dudes eat, around here that's

They're in Korean bars in the same way you find peanuts or pretzels at American bars. They're not... bad, really. They just taste like stale tortillas, or like really lovely canned peas. You eat them because they're there and you're pretty drunk, but I've never seen anyone go out of their way to eat them unless they were super old and super hard.

The taste isn't even close to the worst part. Like you said, it's not even that offensive taste-wise. What is the worst thing is when they're actually being boiled. You think Durian smells bad, well boiling silkworms produces the most overpowering smell I've ever experienced.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onion Knight posted:

I dunno, one of my sisters liked eating them back when she was in elementary school, though I doubt she could bring herself to eat them now.

And they're not sold just in bars, even some street vendors sell them. I recall the smell being very distinct.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Picnic Princess posted:

These keep getting posted and all I can say is:

Make your own with a better beer. They're good.

Honestly even the canned ones aren't bad if the idea of a chelada doesn't make you run away screaming. It's the only way I'll drink Budweiser.

Edit: Wait, this thread has been going on for months, and I said almost the exact same thing the first time the subject of cheladas came up.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And they're not sold just in bars, even some street vendors sell them. I recall the smell being very distinct.

Yeah I should have mentioned that. Street vendors usually have gigantic vats of them that (I assume) are re-heated over and over and over because I've only ever seen other foreigners order cups of them so they can live out their own Bourdain-esque adventures.
Well, them, and super old dudes who talk about how healthy it is.

As long as I'm posting let me throw out another weird Korean food that is really the only bit of Korean cuisine that I can't at least tolerate (most of it is outright delicious if you're not familiar) and that is
Hongeo, or, fermented Skate.

The top-left on the plate, served as it usually is with a ripe kimchi and steamed pork.
It doesn't look like much, but it tastes like someone shoved the nozzle of a bottle of windex far enough up your nose to blast like four or five good sprays directly onto your brain. Even when true badass oldsters eat it they still wrap it in enough kimchi and pork to drown out the obscene ammonia bomb it is. I'm almost convinced the only thing it's really used for is as a hilarious prank when you get your new foreigner friend to try it without warning.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Onion Knight posted:

Hongeo, or, fermented Skate.

I tried this when I first moved to Korea, it wasn't so much the smell or the taste (though both were awful) that got to me but the texture. It was unpleasantly cartilaginous.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hongeo is like natto, the food that even a lot of the natives hate, but will eagerly feed to their foreign friends to see their reactions, cell phone cameras held at the ready.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Tollymain posted:

Not to bring back bat chat, but it occurs to me that if you boiled the bat alive in the soup it'd probably be urinating/defecating itself in the process...

:barf:

Well, even if it dies relatively quickly and doesn't defecate, that piss and poo poo will still be in the carcass and you'd be quite likely to release it if you ate it.

Theres a reason "whole" hog roasts have all their guts removed.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A curry from a chippie. When dipping in naan bread the oil layer washed any of the actual curry off so I decided to poor the oil layer into my dorm room sink.

That was a bad idea.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Hey everybody, let's see what's new at the Minnesota State Fair this year!

Candied Bacon Cannoli: The ultimate sweet-savory combo: chewy, caramelized bacon pieces paired with a sweet, smooth ricotta cheese filling in a fried, crunchy pastry shell.

Cocoa Cheese Bites: Wisconsin cheddar cheese nuggets breaded with cocoa puffs, fried and served with a chocolate dipping sauce.

Wine Glazed Deep Fried Meatloaf: Homemade meatloaf deep fried on-a-stick with a red pepper wine glaze.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The meatloaf doesn't sound too awful, just fried once more than necessary.

But I do wish people would stop wedging bacon into everything like it's the Ultimate Food, or a test of manliness, or the definitive rebuttal to any health-conscious diet. It's salty and fatty and triggers your reward centers, but if you ate it as often as some edgy internet morons would have you believe, you'd be dead.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think bacon is definitely becoming an ever-present annoyance thanks to terrible nerds and amateur Ron Swansons, but I mean it's still a tasty food.
Clearly it's not something you'd eat all the time - poo poo, it's a cannoli - but I could see it working well here, or at least being interesting. I bet it's nice with the ricotta.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I've always wondered how, in the course of a few years, bacon went from being the thing tedious people ate and went all "tee hee I eat bacon ooh I'm so naughty!", to being the next gelatin, by which I mean future generations will likely make entire websites dedicated to making fun of our bacon cookbooks and our obsession with putting it in goddamn everything.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

My roommate drinks one of these almost every day. I laugh every single time I open the fridge and see one, but I guess someone buys it.

They're hugely popular with Hispanics, at least in my area. I worked at a beer drive-thru a few years ago and we sold several cases a day of the 16oz cans to Hispanic members of road/construction/utility/oil field crews when they rolled through after getting off work for the day. White dudes on the crews usually grabbed some Keystone or Natural ICE, both of which are absolutely vile and disgusting, but are both stronger and cheaper than the regular varieties of Keystone and Natty. I've never tried a chelada beer, as I usually drink pale ales or bocks, but a friend of mine makes some drat good bloody marys using clamato juice.

quote:

Candied Bacon Cannoli: The ultimate sweet-savory combo: chewy, caramelized bacon pieces paired with a sweet, smooth ricotta cheese filling in a fried, crunchy pastry shell.

Not gonna lie, I would eat this and love it while :420: or drunk, though not when sober.

No photos, but a former roommate was all about EpicFoods (?, not sure of the name, but those guys who make and eat disgusting greasy poo poo and upload it to youtube) for a while. We usually have fairly similar tastes in food, but for a few months every time he cooked it would be disgusting things like hot pocket casseroles. That particular dish involved a layer of pepperoni pizza hot pockets on the bottom, a layer of cheese, a layer of simmered-down beef chili, another layer of cheese, a layer of thick inter-woven bacon, a layer of browned beef in vodka sauce, and then finally topped off with another extra-thick layer of cheese on top with some small pieces of bacon sprinkled on. Even without the heart attack-inducing amounts of fat in the casserole from the pounds of beef, bacon, and cheese it used, I have no idea why someone would think that pizza, chili, and vodka sauce would be great flavors to mix together in one dish.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I love seeing the gelatin monstrosities. Seeing them on Madmen is great too.
And yeah, I loving hate the LOL BACON RIGHT GUYS SO MANLY TAKE THAT VEGETARIANS fad.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Preem Palver posted:

No photos, but a former roommate was all about EpicFoods (?, not sure of the name, but those guys who make and eat disgusting greasy poo poo and upload it to youtube)

EpicMealTime. I know this because I was in college at the height of their popularity and the nerdy-as-gently caress volunteer service fraternity I was in held a "bake sale" on campus where we got pretty drunk and cooked a bunch of food like that and played up the characters and just generally had a good time with it.
I'm forgetting all of what we cooked but I remember that one was a bacon-wrapped embutido, some deep fried kimchi bombs wrapped in thin battered beef, and near the end deep fried oreos in a jack and beer batter.

I had a little slice of the embutido and a few of the oreos but I couldn't eat too much more. I mean ultimately a lot of that stuff tastes pretty good but you're not eating it for obvious reasons. I gained a certain... respect? For the Epic Meal Time guys because they apparently eat everything they make, which would take some serious dedication.

It was a huge success, though. We ended up making a ton of money, but really it was just because we were riding the coattails of youtube celebrities as they were blowing up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The only good thing about the Minnesota State Fair is the pond full of native duck representatives.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

As far as fair food goes, this is pretty mundane. Hell, compared to the average fair fare, that meatloaf is almost fine dining. Proper disgusting fair food is deep fried kool-aid, peanut butter and jelly, or various animal testicals. Step up your fair game, MN.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

PainterofCrap posted:

To contribute:

Apparently they have found the gene that will determine whether or not you like the taste of cilantro! :eng101:

Well, at least partially, apparently the environment does play a part as well in developing tastes

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't think enough people have informed this thread that cilantro flavor depends on genetics. Not nearly enough. We need it to be at least 50% of posts per page, not only 25% as it now stands.

Occultatio posted:

Hey everybody, let's see what's new at the Minnesota State Fair this year!

Cocoa Cheese Bites: Wisconsin cheddar cheese nuggets breaded with cocoa puffs, fried and served with a chocolate dipping sauce.

Wine Glazed Deep Fried Meatloaf: Homemade meatloaf deep fried on-a-stick with a red pepper wine glaze.

I'm not gonna lie, those last two look pretty decent if taken in moderation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Onion Knight posted:

EpicMealTime. I know this because I was in college at the height of their popularity and the nerdy-as-gently caress volunteer service fraternity I was in held a "bake sale" on campus where we got pretty drunk and cooked a bunch of food like that and played up the characters and just generally had a good time with it.
I'm forgetting all of what we cooked but I remember that one was a bacon-wrapped embutido, some deep fried kimchi bombs wrapped in thin battered beef, and near the end deep fried oreos in a jack and beer batter.

I had a little slice of the embutido and a few of the oreos but I couldn't eat too much more. I mean ultimately a lot of that stuff tastes pretty good but you're not eating it for obvious reasons. I gained a certain... respect? For the Epic Meal Time guys because they apparently eat everything they make, which would take some serious dedication.

It was a huge success, though. We ended up making a ton of money, but really it was just because we were riding the coattails of youtube celebrities as they were blowing up.

I'm pretty sure they had to stop that after they started making 20-30 pound meals. Muscle-glasses (the short jacked dude always wearing glasses) apparently would eat the most by far then just work out for 4-5 hours a day.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Occultatio posted:

This sounds pretty good, it's making my mouth water a little. On the other hand, I'm sure that two or three bites would be enough to get sick of it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I've heard it called pagash, Polish, pirogi, or just mashed potato pizza.

Basically a pizza with mashed potatoes instead of sauce, and usually lots of bacon, scallions, and garlic. Looks and sounds weird, but tastes ok. It's basically a giant wedge of heavy carbs though. Eat more than one slice and it'll feel like you have a bowling ball sitting in your stomach.

I think it started out in small pockets of the US where lots of Polish and Italian immigrants ended up next to each other, but it's starting to catch on. A place near me called Otto's in Portland, Maine makes a version with just small dollops of potato on top so it's like a topping instead of a huge layer over the crust. It's delicious.

Actual food porn:

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

kastein posted:

I don't think enough people have informed this thread that cilantro flavor depends on genetics. Not nearly enough. We need it to be at least 50% of posts per page, not only 25% as it now stands.

I'm not gonna lie, those last two look pretty decent if taken in moderation.

All of that looks amazing. :colbert:

e: oh god, I just looked at the rest of the menu. :barf:

manderson has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 11, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

manderson posted:

All of that looks amazing. :colbert:

I could live without the cocoa cheese bites, chocolate and cheese doesn't sound like something that'd sit well with me, no matter how much of a Wisconsinite I may be.

That mashed potato pizza looks delicious though (both types).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Onion Knight posted:

I think bacon is definitely becoming an ever-present annoyance thanks to terrible nerds and amateur Ron Swansons, but I mean it's still a tasty food.

Bacon is good, but throwing it on top of random recipes doesn't really improve the dish. Cannoli is good, and bacon is good, and I'm sure a cannoli with bacon in it would taste good, but the flavors don't really enhance each other. Combining fresh fruit and cannoli gives you something that is greater than the sum of its parts, but eating a cannoli with bacon on the side wouldn't taste any better or worse than mixing the two together.

Also, for some reason, this thread is giving me an urge to try eating insects if I get the chance.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

I could live without the cocoa cheese bites, chocolate and cheese doesn't sound like something that'd sit well with me, no matter how much of a Wisconsinite I may be.

I mean if they used better chocolate and a mild cheese I think it would work. Cheddar has its uses and that is not one of them.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Bacon is good, but throwing it on top of random recipes doesn't really improve the dish. Cannoli is good, and bacon is good, and I'm sure a cannoli with bacon in it would taste good, but the flavors don't really enhance each other. Combining fresh fruit and cannoli gives you something that is greater than the sum of its parts, but eating a cannoli with bacon on the side wouldn't taste any better or worse than mixing the two together.

Also, for some reason, this thread is giving me an urge to try eating insects if I get the chance.

I totally agree but I think specifically in this case candied bacon would work. I don't know about the shell (cannolo?) but I bet the creamy sweetness of the ricotta would play well with the salty smoky heaviness of a little bacon. I'd try it, at least.

Also you should definitely try insects, they're (usually) pretty tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I've been wanting to try insects for a while. There are a bunch of books on how to cook them. Weird.

• Locked thread