Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Why is Teppei with Joa :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Holy gently caress. 1980's shounen would be so proud of this fight :stare:!

But drat, I hope Setsuno doesn't end up dying trying to stave off her foes and going after Joa...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So did he cut teppei into pieces and clone him or something? I'm going with that and delicious roast teppei as well

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

A spine, you say? What is that and what does it do?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
What is going on right now? There was some imagination battle that ended up cutting off Toriko's leg and arm so his gourmet cells summoned his inner demon from hell to impale Starjyun, who after coughing up his entire body's weight in blood and losing his spine and probably a lot of internal organs was still able from certain death while Komatsu depletes all of his bodily fluids via crying. Is this battle even relevant?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Joa's come to murder and eat everyone now or something. Which, by the standards of this manga, makes him the real hero. From now on the story is about an evil Black Mage turning everyone and everything into finely-prepared meals. He'll get to Starjun and Toriko after dealing with the entire stadium and its occupants, then we can rename the manga.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Lpzie posted:

A spine, you say? What is that and what does it do?

People in Toriko don't have things like skeletons. They move around with a series of bladders(FULL OF MEAT) that articulate their various limbs through inflation and deflation.

Also, it's pretty rad that Toriko now has a stand.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

So Joa's come to murder and eat everyone now or something. Which, by the standards of this manga, makes him the real hero. From now on the story is about an evil Black Mage turning everyone and everything into finely-prepared meals. He'll get to Starjun and Toriko after dealing with the entire stadium and its occupants, then we can rename the manga.

I am okay with how Joa is portrayed.

I don't understand what Komatsu was trying to say to Starjyun though. Was he pleading with him to let him fix Toriko up in exchange for going with Starjyun? Was he also offering to fix up Staryjyun?

The context of the word bubbles didn't help very much, and this manga is notorious for having someone else speaking off screen in a panel that has someone else in it.

I originally read this as Star was going to use the "Dark Technique" of using a revitalizing kitchen knife to repair himself, but then he accuses Komatsu of "When did you learn that Technique?"

I am confused

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Does a revitalizing knife regenerate limbs for you?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Does a revitalizing knife regenerate limbs for you?

Works on anything short of death according to what we know. Starjun was going to use something else as his knife was broken.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Even if it does regenerate limbs, unless Komatsu is in a league far surpassing Ootake and Chiru at this point, it is unlikely that Just one swing wouldn't be enough to repair any of the damage of Toriko or Star. Maybe it would be enough to resusitate Toriko, but that hole in Star's stomach is just sheesh. It took Chiru several moments to revitalize Chin Chin for the small hole that Chiyo inflicted upon him.

Also, is Komatsu's knife considered to be a revitalizing kitchen knife? It is my understanding those knives were created from minerals and creatures who can actively regenerate, while his was created from the fang of the Derous. Is he packing knives besides his personal kitchen knife or can he use a technique that doesn't require a revitalizing kitchen knife?

If so, then he might literally be able to cut the evil out of people eventually

E: This seems to be what the wiki editors at the Toriko Wikia percieved from the encounter

As the outcome of the battle turns in Starjun's favor, Komatsu uses his Derous Knife to attack Starjun, stating that he would be Starjun's opponent. Starjun commented that he is a reliable combo partner but uses his flames to force Komatsu back, stating that his knife was never meant to hurt others. However, this angered Toriko, which caused him to release his inner demon through the use of Appetite Energy to punch a hole through Starjun's stomach. As Starjun collapses, he notes that his wounds were critical as he would have use that Dark Technique to survive. Komatsu then surrenders to Starjun as he couldn’t bear Toriko being hurt anymore. However, he asks Starjun to let him do 'one swing' to save Toriko. This shocks Starjun momentarily, wondering when Komatsu had mastered 'that technique.' He then tells Komatsu that he is returning to the Cooking Stadium due to the fact that “the dark clouds were not clearing.”

With this context, it seems evident that Komatsu is in a league close to Starjyun is for the purposes of cooking. He seems to have learned a technique that Starjyun himself was about to use.

Seebach fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 5, 2013

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
They way Starjun acts when Joa appears, do you think he is part of Neo?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Question. Why doesn't Komatsu continue attacking Starjun with his ultra knife?

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

Because it wasn't meant for harming people according to Starjyun.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

A Beast as strong as Derous would probably have stupendous regeneration

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Soylentbits posted:

Because at about that time Toriko used his Want Eat Monster to just straight up de-spine Starjun.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Obviously Toriko should just gobble down some of those sweet, sweet gourmet cell-laced Starjun chunks. :unsmigghh:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Toriko 241

Joa has a knife named Cinderalla that can "taste change" living beings. this manga :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It is so weird to see a conventionally pretty woman in this manga of bulging muscles and blood.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Occam's Razor of Anime makes it really obvious who Joa is.

Also I like how all it takes is one chapter to go from "gently caress this battle anime" to :allears:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Capture level 295, huh.

That knife is ridiculous.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So he did Literally cook Teppei... into a MINION!.

Never change Toriko :allears:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
My theory about Komatsu being able to eventually cut a dude into not being evil gets more and more plausible.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Frohze's face is such a stark contrast to the usual style I have to believe an assistant did the art for that. :stare:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Can Of Worms posted:

Frohze's face is such a stark contrast to the usual style I have to believe an assistant did the art for that. :stare:

It's also way different from every vague silhouette of Frohze that we've seen so far. I'm pretty sure she had long hair.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is Frohze some in-joke? Reminds me of Yokkyun from God Only Knows.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Maybe it's because the name Cinderella Knife, but she looks like shes drawn in a Disney princess style. Definitely different to everything we've seen, but pretty funny considering the exploding muscles and rage faces everyone else has had lately.

Edit: Something else flying under the radar is the involvement of G7 with NEO. At this point, NEO seemingly has an advantage.

Batmasterson fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 10, 2013

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Hasn't Frohze been referred to as a he pretty consistently?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Maybe he cooked himself into a woman?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Japanese only has a gender neutral third person pronoun: ano hito (あの人, literally 'that person'). "That person" sounds awkward in English, and we don't have any other gender neutral third person pronouns that don't sound awkward, so translations go with "he" or "she" based on the characters apparent gender. This kind of situation comes up every so often, when a characters identity is ambiguous.

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 10, 2013

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

This manga. Simply the best. You think you KNOW what's about to happen, then everything is flipped upside-down.

There is actually a lot to take in on this one chapter.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Whatever happened to that cookbook that Komatsu found in the gourmet temple with all this poo poo about cooking humans? With Joa now cooking people i hope it comes back into play. Now that he's mastered Food Honor he might be able to read it now?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought it was implied that it was made by Nitro.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

So Frohze and Acacia had children, then?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Wow, they are literally going to cook and eat God.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Wow, they are literally going to cook and eat God.

I thought this was well established to be quite honest.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm not sure why people seem so certain that Frohze is a woman and not just a feminine-looking man.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Look below, she has boobs

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

RatHat posted:

Look below, she has boobs

Ok, a VERY feminine-looking man. :v:

Also, Joa is scary looking. This author is just so good at drawing scary looking characters, I've never seen the whole glowing-eyes-in-shadow thing done quite as well as it has been done here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Seebach posted:

I thought this was well established to be quite honest.

Before, it seemed like God might be an ingredient or something, but with the shark jump over cannibalism into people-cooking, I'm expecting them to leave Gourmet World and eat with archangels and poo poo at the pearly gates while God's on the barbeque.

• Locked thread