Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

Rabidredneck posted:

Speakng of the Dangan Ronpa anime...filez

Man. They're really trying to cram it in as few episodes as possible. Introduction in the gym, rules kind of glossed over, no free time conversations at all. Movies didn't even have that cheerfully ironic "What happened to your friends/family? FIND OUT AFTER GRADUATION!".

Ugh. I don't know for sure but I remember hearing it was only going to be like 12 episodes as well? How on earth...

At least they got the music right.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
And here's a handy thread to discuss the anime in!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Rabidredneck posted:

Speakng of the Dangan Ronpa anime...Episode 1

Pretty sure that's :files: dude. The series has already been licensed by Funi or Crunchyroll or some other such service.

Also, we have a thread in ATDRW for this. We were specifically by Orenoren.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rabidredneck posted:

DanganRonpaThread

It's like, this is the thread that just keeps on giving.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm pretty sure that the footprints leading out of the house are saionji's. As for the announcement I thought that three people had to find the body consecutively and that they didn't have to all be there at the same time.

I actually don't think they're Saionji's because she was coming from the same direction everyone went to get to the beach house from the Diner. That's why she ran right past them, in order to establish that fact.

Also yeah from what I recall it can just be "once three people find the body AFTER it's murdered" meaning it can be together or consecutively, which would exclude the murderer unless they're in a group with the people that did it I think.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TCat posted:

I actually don't think they're Saionji's because she was coming from the same direction everyone went to get to the beach house from the Diner. That's why she ran right past them, in order to establish that fact.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here, but seeing how it's pretty obvious that Saionji was in the beach house (her running and crying, the gummi bear in the closet) just before, during and/or after the murder, there's only two ways she didn't leave those prints: she walked through the tunnel-side door, which would mean that Mahiru wasn't blocking it at the time and therefore not yet dead; or, Mahiru was dead and blocking the door and someone lifted Saionji up so she could go through the window. Neither option really makes sense to me.

e: Of course there's a slight possibility that someone moved Mahiru up against the door after Saionji had gone, but I believe the blood amount and splatter suggests otherwise. She died right there.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 5, 2013

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

tiistai posted:

Of course there's a slight possibility that someone moved Mahiru up against the door after Saionji had gone, but I believe the blood amount and splatter suggests otherwise. She died right there.

I could see this happening, because that's a lot of drat blood and I know head wounds bleed a lot, but they don't just fire hydrant everywhere. There also didn't seem to be much on the door, so I think this is gonna be a case of Togami and the Beastie Boys.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
REMOVED BECAUSE REASONS

V!ntar fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 6, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ettin posted:

If you absolutely have to watch DR videos on Youtube (hint: you don't) at least pause and wipe your watch history.
The new "suggested video" thing Youtube is doing is the dumbest drat thing.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

V!ntar posted:

Ray, if you are reading this, don't stop. You are a Super Community College Level Artist :v:

This actually linked me straight to youtube, where in the highest comment was a massive spoiler that ruins the entire game.

Don't click that link.

Color Printer posted:

I clicked it and went to polsy, not sure how you went straight to Youtube.

Still not playing the video because I'm not an idiot and I don't want to risk anything.

You're right, it's some stupid plug-in on my end, disregard the above then. Still a fair warning as to not click it either way.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 6, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

HoneyBoy posted:

This actually linked me straight to youtube, where in the highest comment was a massive spoiler that ruins the entire game.

Don't click that link.

I clicked it and went to polsy, not sure how you went straight to Youtube.

Still not playing the video because I'm not an idiot and I don't want to risk anything.

Valeris
Oct 9, 2012
It's looking like Peko is the main suspect here. The water bottles she could have poured all over herself to justify her,"swim," since the shower was broken. She also has the skill and precision to take down someone with a bat with only a blow or two. Granted there's not enough there yet to make a solid conclusion, just seems odd to me she just happens to be there to justify why it couldn't be her in regards to the footprints that were mentioned too.

NoiseFace
Jun 16, 2013

eifie posted:

Now I'm really starting to think this is Asahina from DR1. If you can remember, in DR1, Genocider would call her a dirty girl & talk about her large breasts & whatnot, & it would make Asahina extremely uncomfortable. More so than what is normal. They never really followed up on that, so I feel this is her, & what she said about her stepmom's boyfriend has something to do with her getting freaked out by Genocider's taunts.

Seeing as how some massages involve lightly striking someone's body, I kind of interpreted Akane's "full body massage" thing as meaning that her stepmom's boyfriend gets drunk and hits her rather than literally giving her massages or what not. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's some really dark humor, especially given that she talks so casually about it. Of course, this is Dangan Ronpa, so a little dark humor is to be expected.

Besides I'm pretty sure a lot of girls would be uncomfortable with someone calling them "dirty" and making fun of their breasts no matter what.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

NoiseFace posted:

Seeing as how some massages involve lightly striking someone's body, I kind of interpreted Akane's "full body massage" thing as meaning that her stepmom's boyfriend gets drunk and hits her rather than literally giving her massages or what not. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's some really dark humor, especially given that she talks so casually about it. Of course, this is Dangan Ronpa, so a little dark humor is to be expected.

No offense, but I think a lot of people are reading too much into this. It's pretty clearly a joke. Whether it's in poor taste or not is a different discussion, but it's kind of a one-off.

Her stepdad's into her (ew) and giving her full-body massages and the joke is that Akane's too naive to get why. It's kinda self-evident, and Hinata's response falls right in line with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NoiseFace posted:

I actually thought that at first as well. Then reading it over I realized what the actual implication was. Both are pretty horrible.

eifie
Jun 24, 2013

lotus circle posted:

Have we not gotten past this point yet? Akane didn't look or act freaked out at all when she mentioned this to Hinata. He seemed more uncomfortable with the idea than she was judging from the dialogue and how it was voiced. Hell at least with Nagito being Naegi you have matching voice actors, but Asahina and Akane aren't even voiced by the same person. If you want to make a theory for someone in DR2 being someone from DR1, you need a lot better proof than this.

Edit: And really if some crazy girl was rambling about how big your chest was, wouldn't you feel a little uncomfortable by that too?

I really wasn't making a theory or anything & after more thought & reading everyone elses replies I do feel pretty stupid for thinking so, heh. At the time that I was thinking they were the same person I thought that she is so different now because life was really rough after escaping the first round & it made her crack...or something. It was dumb really, sorry sorry D: oh also I didn't know that this was ever addressed because the few comments that I've read on these threads never mentioned it but that was my fault really okay I'll stop making excuses my bad!! Thanks to everyone who replied! ^^

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jabberwockyx
May 28, 2013
Something that I haven't specifically seen brought up: if we are to assume that there is an accomplice, given that the game suggests that it might be a possibility, if someone needs a boost out of the window in the shower room to escape undetected... wouldn't that person then count towards the number of people seeing the body? I believe it's only the actual person who carried out the murder who's exempt from the three person for the body announcement rule, so an accomplice would count as one of the people.

We know that Souda was the third person to see the body and trigger the body announcement. I think we can reasonably assume that Saioniji was one of the three as well, given that she was running away from the beach crying -- and now it looks like she might actually have been in the closet when the murder was committed, what with the gummi being found there. I don't know why she was in there... Perhaps Koizumi was supposed to be meeting Saioniji at the beach house, since they do seem to be good friends, and Saioniji was hiding to surprise her, when oops murderer (and accomplice?) finds Koizumi "alone" and offs her? Then the murderer rinses off with the water from the case and escapes out the window with the help of their accomplice, the accomplice leaves the beach house in a more normal fashion since they're not trying to cover their tracks, and Saioniji flees the scene, crying. Personally, I want to go find Saioniji and talk to her, I feel like she's going to be instrumental in helping to solve this case.

So if Souda was third, and Saioniji was one of the first people to see the dead body, then the potential accomplice would be the other person who saw the body. I know there was some talk about Kuzuryuu being one of the people who saw the body, since he was acting awfully twitchy earlier (although that seems pretty standard for him...) -- and his panic would make even more sense if not only did he see the dead body, he also assisted the murderer in staging the crime or escaping the scene of the crime.

My only qualm with this is that I haven't really noticed Kuzuryuu being exceptionally close to either one of the top two suspects for this murder, Peko or Sonia, so I'm not sure what would drive him to help them with their crime. But then, we've never really seen him be too close to anyone, so who knows where his alliances ally. But the fact that he's also played Twilight and has an envelope apparently associated with it also makes me believe that he has some role to play in this murder, accomplice or otherwise.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

slowbeef posted:

No offense, but I think a lot of people are reading too much into this. It's pretty clearly a joke. Whether it's in poor taste or not is a different discussion, but it's kind of a one-off.

Her stepdad's into her (ew) and giving her full-body massages and the joke is that Akane's too naive to get why. It's kinda self-evident, and Hinata's response falls right in line with it.

Reading Too Much Into Things with Super Dangan Ronpa 2

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013
We can already infer alot just from the situation. This case is essentially a closed room murder. The isolation of the crime scene and the fact that there is only a single way in or out that the 'detective' of this story was watching from the supposed time of the murder up to the discovery of the body give it a locked room vibe.

To borrow a page from Kirigiri in the first game- Closed room murders follow one of 4 basic patterns:

• The room was locked after the murder took place. Normally this means some trick was used to lock the door. In this case, it'd be something more like the method used to go out the window and escape without leaving tracks. Or a method to prop Mahiru against the door after leaving out it. It's possible, I suppose, that Mahiru blocked the door herself after being struck. Maybe as a last ditch effort to protect Saionji?

• The room was already locked when the murder took place. Usually means a remote murder- shooting through a peephole, poisoning, or some kind of elaborate trap to allow one to murder a person in an otherwise impossible location. Considering the victim is the person providing the 'lock', by leaning on the door to the tunnel, probably doesn't apply here.

• The culprit is inside the room at the time it is unlocked. This would mean the killer (or accomplice) was still in the beach house when Hinata came running, and then snuck in among the others after the discovery. Doesn't work for anyone in the diner since the murder took place at 3:00. And everyone that came to the beach house after the discovery came from the diner. This would leave the possibility that the killer is still hiding though. Or that Souda helped them escape out the window while Hinata was going around the building.

• It isn't a locked room after all. Usually this would mean something like a hidden passage, or would imply the 'locked door' wasn't really locked at all and that whomever opened it first was lying. Generally speaking, in mysteries that are considered 'fair', hidden doors and the like are frowned upon, unless the detective can discover the door on their own. Hinata didn't find one, so I don't think it applies here.

Other tricks could also be in play here. The timing of the discovery, the possibility that Mahiru might have taken a while to die (if she were attacked much before 3:00 almost everyone's alibis go out the window), leaving the mask at the scene, the empty water bottles, even leaving Saionji alone at the scene despite the fact that she's a witness: all of them should be doubted. Any one of these could be a ruse by the killer to lead everyone else off target.

My personal suspicions about Souda, for example, center mostly around the fact that everything just seems too drat convenient for him- he scheduled Hinata to meet him at 2:30 (and was a bit late), then leads him to the diner at 3:00, where they sit around for most of an hour for no real reason. Then is the first to discover the body in a place he couldn't have gone before then, and the victim died at a time when he has a perfect alibi (he was with the protagonist). His alibi is so perfect I can't help but feel it is actually suspiciously perfect. I might just have a paranoid mind though.

Patware posted:

Reading Too Much Into Things with Super Dangan Ronpa 2

Reading into things too much?

Now who would do a silly thing like that... *cough*

Knicknevin fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 6, 2013

jabberwockyx
May 28, 2013

Knicknevin posted:

My personal suspicions about Souda, for example, center mostly around the fact that everything just seems too drat convenient for him- he scheduled Hinata to meet him at 2:30 (and was a bit late), then leads him to the diner at 3:00, where they sit around for most of an hour for no real reason. Then is the first to discover the body in a place he couldn't have gone before then, and the victim died at a time when he has a perfect alibi (he was with the protagonist). His alibi is so perfect I can't help but feel it is actually suspiciously perfect. I might just have a paranoid mind though.

I do have to agree with the fact that things do seem extremely convenient for Souda, but wasn't the body announcement triggered when Souda walked in and found Koizumi's body? The murderer can't trigger the body announcement because they don't count towards the "three people must discover the body" rule -- and unless I missed something, Souda was alone when he went to the beach house, and Hinata was chasing after him when the announcement was broadcast, so it's not like he was with someone else who would have fulfilled the three-person rule. That's my logic for why I don't think he could be the killer, at least.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

jabberwockyx posted:

I do have to agree with the fact that things do seem extremely convenient for Souda, but wasn't the body announcement triggered when Souda walked in and found Koizumi's body? The murderer can't trigger the body announcement because they don't count towards the "three people must discover the body" rule

Although we can be pretty sure that the murderer doesn't count at the time of the murder, it's possible that they do count if they leave the crime scene and then return; we don't know. It seems likely that they'd be counted, just to avoid the possibility that three people come across a body and fail to trigger the announcement; I don't imagine Monobear would want the students to be able to narrow things down to 'one of three suspects' so easily. Plus, on a more meta level, the player is supposed to accuse Togami of the murder in the second case of the first game. If the murderer can't discover the body at all, Togami is almost entirely exonerated.

It's not impossible that the murderer can't trigger the body announcement, but I don't think we can be confident enough in that to strike anyone off our suspect list just yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think that makes very much sense as an alibi anyway, since the only reason anyone knows the time of death in the first place is the Monobear File. While the previous File did contain this information, would anyone have so much faith in the consistency of Monobear to base their entire scheme around that? And from meta-knowlege we know that Monobear will screw around with the precise info he presents in order to make the case more interesting. For example, omitting Yamada's time of death in Chapter 4. While Souda obviously doesn't know that, he also doesn't have a reason to trust Monobear at all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Knicknevin posted:

Reading into things too much?

Now who would do a silly thing like that... *cough*

Honestly, I think overreading things might be a good thing in a murder mystery, keeps you on your toes, and when done right, helps you pick up on details that a more casual look through might have missed. True, doing so for Akane's statement is a mite off (to say the least :shepface: ), but over-analysis of the crime scene can prove entertaining to read at least.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

John Dyne posted:

I could see this happening, because that's a lot of drat blood and I know head wounds bleed a lot, but they don't just fire hydrant everywhere. There also didn't seem to be much on the door, so I think this is gonna be a case of Togami and the Beastie Boys.

Okay. What with there being an evidence bullet and all, it is fairly likely that Mahiru was killed in the middle of the room and then was moved or moved on her own to the door, but I don't believe she stayed in the middle for long at all. Most of the blood has been pooled by the door and barely at all elsewhere. If she lied in the middle for even five minutes, there would be more blood pooled there.

Then again, Dangan Ronpa always goes full artistic with the blood. The amount is unfortunately almost never a very solid lead.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

While Dangan Ronpa often exaggerates the amount of blood, it's actually pretty good at dropping hints in the location of it, even when the games don't call any attention to it.

When Ishimaru's body was moved, there was a pool of blood left behind, but when Yamada's disappeared, there was a big Yamada shaped gap with no blood, because he wasn't dead, and just poured blood over himself. The initial reason people figured out Togami wasn't killed with the knife was because the blood pattern on it didn't match what it should have been if it was used to stab (it was only on one side of the knife, while if it was used to stab, it should have been on both).

Speaking of not calling attention to seemingly-important blood patterns, I noticed that there's blood on the doorknob.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

jabberwockyx posted:

The murderer can't trigger the body announcement because they don't count towards the "three people must discover the body" rule --

We don't actually know that. Let's be fair, Monobear may be a stickler for the rules, but anything not in the rules is fair game. And the rules don't specifically say the killer can't 'discover' a body. The rules haven't been used that way (thus far), but if it was somehow essential for making the trial more interesting, I can see Monobear making that call.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I wish people would stop trying to use the number of people finding a corpse to determine who can/can't be a murderer since it's about the least interesting way to do it. The least satisfying too. The alarm should sound when the non-murderers have observed 3 people observing the body, leaving you no useful information about whether a murderer is in the group of observers or not. No other murder mystery would give you such bullshit clues to work with, so I don't know why you're obsessing over this just-to-move-the-plot-along rule like this?

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
I don't know. It isn't just a rule for the player's benefit; the characters have been informed of it, too. They all know it's a thing. This leaves it open for characters to deduce things based on the rule and when Monobear announces the impending trial (assuming Monobear doesn't announce things with a delay). This also leaves it open for the murderer to attempt to manipulate the order in which students find a body to cover up their own involvement. Three people discovering a body at the point Monobear announces it means at most three from the group saw it for the first time, and at minimum one did, with two previous discoverers (who hadn't gotten around to telling people for whatever reason).

Based on this, we could theoretically have guessed whether Saionji saw the body or whether something else upset her based on how many people saw it later on prior to Monobear's announcement, but we weren't there at the time. It'd still be a usage that doesn't involve guessing who the murderer is based on the rule.

I do think it likelier that the other 'usage' of the rule will be invoked, though; someone else proposed a character going missing and not being discovered dead until chapters after the deed, which is something else the rule allows for. That or body-hunts where one person finds it, goes to report it, and returns to find no body.

Feldherren fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 6, 2013

jabberwockyx
May 28, 2013
Right then, I'll just go back to being a nonparticipant in speculation after this last point. I do happen to find it interesting, even if you don't, because this is the first time thus far where the body announcement has been triggered by only one person discovering the body, as opposed to group of people. Which is kind of interesting, in my opinion. Someone is allowed to suspect Souda because of sheer paranoia and "oh it's too convenient for him to have such an iron-tight alibi," and I am allowed to believe that there is no possible way for him to be the murderer because the murderer simply cannot discover the body, so I can reasonably rule him out of the suspect list.

And I'm not the first to find Kuzuryuu to be suspicious, and I do think that the body announcement might be a clue to figuring out who the accomplice was, if there even was an accomplice. And for all I know, maybe there was no accomplice at all, so maybe I am just talking out my rear end. I'm just stating that that particular rule is food for thought, if we were to assume that more than one person is a part of a crime.

I apologize for trying to bring up another angle for looking at things while we wait for the next update. I just thought that it seemed like we'd exhausted talking about the obvious clues and wanted to point out something I found relevant.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I just wanted to point out that we only know from DR1 that the murderer doesn't "discover" the body right after the killing. It's still possible that Monobear would count him if he leaves and returns to the crime scene later. I'm sure the game will have Monobear clarify the rule if it's ever important though.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Not sure if it's kosher to interrupt actual content chat like this but DanganRonpa is announced to be coming to the US.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
And if it's true - and it looks pretty legit at this point - then SHSL Translation is over.

Geg
May 29, 2013
I wish it wasn't just for Vita but I guess it's unlikely that they'd release old games on PSP anymore.

Still, good news. I guess this means it'll get a proper dub too.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

Fedule posted:

And if it's true - and it looks pretty legit at this point - then SHSL Translation is over.

Actually, I'm curious to see how a fan translation and actual release compare when it comes to translation. Not saying that you should continue working on the translation just for comparison's sake, but it would be cool to see how close the two are, at least up to the point it may have been worked on.

Or maybe I'm alone in this thought and it's a stupid idea on legal grounds and stuff. To which I'll humbly nod and leave it at that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Geg posted:

Still, good news. I guess this means it'll get a proper dub too.

This is doubtful. They aren't Aksys (who, going by Fate Extra, don't even bother translating all the text), but I don't see NIS wasting money for a niche product on something that the target audience will most likely just turn off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rodyle posted:

This is doubtful. They aren't Aksys (who, going by Fate Extra, don't even bother translating all the text), but I don't see NIS wasting money for a niche product on something that the target audience will most likely just turn off.

Well, they dubbed Sakura Wars so I guess anything's possible.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Robviously posted:

Not sure if it's kosher to interrupt actual content chat like this but DanganRonpa is announced to be coming to the US.

So have Oren and Fedule sent them their resumes yet? :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

A dub isn't unfeasible. Dangan Ronpa 1, at least, did not have -that- much voice acting. Much less than something like VLR at any rate.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rodyle posted:

If they didn't want to waste their money on a niche product, they wouldn't even bother getting the rights to localize it to begin with. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rodyle posted:

I can't even think of any games that NISA have put out without dubbing them.

• Locked thread