Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

While we're talking about the different versions, was curious-- are there any bad reasons (apart from price) of getting FF7 through the PlayStation Network, or am I really that better off buying the game and running it through an emulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

bobbertoriley posted:

While we're talking about the different versions, was curious-- are there any bad reasons (apart from price) of getting FF7 through the PlayStation Network, or am I really that better off buying the game and running it through an emulator?
I've got the PSN version and have had no issues with it, been playing it on both my PS3 and PSP. Unless you absolutely want the extra features an emulator provides I think it's a good option for getting a version of the game that just works without added effort on your part.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Aerdan posted:

Actually, the biggest problem with the PC port is that it hosed up Windows' MIDI synthesizer settings (which is why it sounds like rear end). :(

It sounds like this is literally exactly what happened. It also sounds like the guy who had good music quality might have had a card that didn't use the Windows sound fonts. I think Creative made/makes a card like that in their Sound Blaster line.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I used my Yamaha XG-compatible keyboard as a midi output device, and it sounded like the PSF. Well, probably not identical, but not far off.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Just listening to the tracks from the comparison video someone posted earlier, the PC version's music isn't too bad. I think I might actually prefer the midi mako reactor theme. I'm not sure how some of the later tracks hold up though. I might get the Steam version if it ever goes on sale for really cheap just for a slightly different experience than the console version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The method described here was painless and vastly improved the music. I compared the ogg files that the game originally used and the new ones and it was almost night and day in quality.

Still trying to figure out how to get the higher resolution backgrounds to work, but for the most part it running great. Did get the "no shader" models working, which I should grab a picture of that later.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

DerpAlert posted:

It sounds like this is literally exactly what happened. It also sounds like the guy who had good music quality might have had a card that didn't use the Windows sound fonts. I think Creative made/makes a card like that in their Sound Blaster line.

The fact that in the year two thousand and thirteen where small children listen to high quality MP3 files in quantities larger than the number of eggs you'll find at a grocery store on devices smaller than a bottle of water we have a high profile game using MIDIs is the most damning indictment of the FF7 rerelease I could ever think of.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hey Elentor! I'm finally ready to do that Speed Run Playthrough for the thread! Is it still alright if I do it?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 10, 2013

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Just listening to the tracks from the comparison video someone posted earlier, the PC version's music isn't too bad. I think I might actually prefer the midi mako reactor theme. I'm not sure how some of the later tracks hold up though.

The best-known track has no lyrics in the PC version (not giving the title in case *spoilers*, but I'm sure you can figure it out).

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Which, again, is weird, because I remember listening to that one on my PC version and thinking "huh, how did they get vocals in a midi file?" I figured they had some custom instruments or something.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
It most certainly did have vocals on my copy. It must be a soundblaster soundfont thing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Just listening to the tracks from the comparison video someone posted earlier, the PC version's music isn't too bad. I think I might actually prefer the midi mako reactor theme. I'm not sure how some of the later tracks hold up though. I might get the Steam version if it ever goes on sale for really cheap just for a slightly different experience than the console version.

I posted it, but I didn't say they were horrible or anything. There were just some volume balance problems, and a bit of slurring between audio tracks. It unfortunately meshes poorly with any sort of ambient or battle sounds, so the audio gets pretty messy in parts.

And yeah, I forgot about the minigame problem. My first playthrough was this horrible rubber-banding of bullet time during the busier parts of the chocobo track, and warp speed during that little outer space part at the end of the track.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Fionordequester posted:

Hey Elentor! I'm finally ready to do that Speed Run Playthrough for the thread! Is it still alright if I do it?

I would love to see this, if Elentor is okay with it. How stuff like speedruns and Low Level Games (thanks for those, by the way, OFC) work is crazy interesting.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Fionordequester posted:

If Tifa's character design doesn't bother you too much, sure, go for it.

(No, you're never living it down.)

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
The original PC version came with a software Yamaha MIDI soundfont thing. I think it may have been optional to install it, but it did greatly improve the quality of the music. Still wasn't as good as the PSX original though.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
If you ignore the MIDI quality of the PC version one other thing that really bothered me and I don't really see it mentioned anywhere (They may have fixed it in this re-release though.) is how the current dungeon or world map song always starts back from the beginning after each battle while it continues right where it got interrupted in the PS1 version. Makes it pretty much impossible to hear the entire world map song unless you deliberitely stand still for like 7 minutes.

Not that I'm planning to get the PC version, I'm fine with my PSN copy but just out of curiosity, do the music patches fix this as well?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think the biggest problem is more that the update list is basically a patch list. It's errors and bugfixes with the exception of the shaders which is basically polishing a turd when it comes to the graphics. You can only do so much with shaders when your characters are made of 15 polygons.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I had a big thing for MIDI back in the day, and that started because my first Final Fantasy was 7 on the PC (followed by 8 on the PC) so I loved the music, and loved MIDI. Years later, playing the PSX version, it didn't take me long to realise that the old MIDI parps were a load of crud in comparison to the PSX music. What was odd was that on the PC version there were a few WAV files which were used for background noises, like wind. One of the WAV files was just two seconds of a bell noise and some beats, which is a repeatable lead up to one of the tracks.

I'm not sure if using MP3 for music was a big thing in those days? I know some games used WAV for music, but they took up silly amounts of space. MIDI are tiny in comparison.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I had a big thing for MIDI back in the day, and that started because my first Final Fantasy was 7 on the PC (followed by 8 on the PC) so I loved the music, and loved MIDI. Years later, playing the PSX version, it didn't take me long to realise that the old MIDI parps were a load of crud in comparison to the PSX music. What was odd was that on the PC version there were a few WAV files which were used for background noises, like wind. One of the WAV files was just two seconds of a bell noise and some beats, which is a repeatable lead up to one of the tracks.

I'm not sure if using MP3 for music was a big thing in those days? I know some games used WAV for music, but they took up silly amounts of space. MIDI are tiny in comparison.

MP3 was still considered processor-intensive, and the system requirements were bad enough already.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

John Luebke posted:

If you ignore the MIDI quality of the PC version one other thing that really bothered me and I don't really see it mentioned anywhere (They may have fixed it in this re-release though.) is how the current dungeon or world map song always starts back from the beginning after each battle while it continues right where it got interrupted in the PS1 version. Makes it pretty much impossible to hear the entire world map song unless you deliberitely stand still for like 7 minutes.

Not that I'm planning to get the PC version, I'm fine with my PSN copy but just out of curiosity, do the music patches fix this as well?

Definitely remember that. Playing the PSN version, I'd realized that the only time I'd ever really heard the map music all the way through was when I was dicking around in the highwind for like an hour when I first got it.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

This is only tangently related, but apparently for Lightning's new game, one of the DLC bonuses is Cloud's outfit and it's the original blue one not the black EU one. I guess they came full circle with acknowledging the meme, unless they try to doubledip and euphemistically sell it as a "Soldier Uniform" since I guess it could technically be Zack's too. Tho personally I always thought the meme was about Square getting lazy with character models (wasn't the much older joke Cloud's face is lifted from Aya Brea?) since I can only see them similar in personality going by Cloud's original 2deep4u invented persona.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

penguinmambo posted:

since I can only see them similar in personality going by Cloud's original 2deep4u invented persona.

I'm sorry, I know you were making an altogether different angle of attack, but...

I can not not imagine Cloud being in some hip hop group going by that name, now. Or something music-related, at least. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regalingualius posted:

I can not not imagine Cloud being in some hip hop group going by that name, now. Or something music-related, at least. :v:
Maybe if he made dubstep exclusively on YouTube.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

penguinmambo posted:

I can only see them similar in personality going by Cloud's original 2deep4u invented persona.
Considering that's how most people choose to remember Cloud, that's probably what they used to draw comparisons between him and Lightning.

....And even then they were completely off!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Regalingualius posted:

Perhaps he should join Silent But Deadly, who would then in proper FF style change their name to ... But Deadly.

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~
The problem is that his debut would entirely consist of the lyric "I'm too deep for you." in his gruffest fake-man voice (think Raiden in MGR:R) and then nothing but wobble bass and shrieking electronic noises with the sound of a knife cutting into meat for 5 minutes.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
I actually don't mind some of the MIDI tracks on the PC port. Some of them are actually pretty drat good. But then when you sit back and hear the MIDI of the Boss Theme you just... ugh... you can't defend that. You just can't. Defend. That.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Alright guys, the first update is now underway! And if I do say so myself, it came out even better than I thought it would! I mean, it terms of actual gameplay stuff, nothing TOO radically different from the norm happens, but even here I think there's a lot of stuff that would fly over the typical gamers head. So expect to learn a lot of neat little tips and tricks from this update alone should Elentor give me the go ahead!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As long as you don't pass the main LP content, feel free to go wild.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Scintellating! Then let us begin!

So then, let's cut right to the chase. First off, the menu options. I think all of these but Fix is fairly self-explanatory, and even Fix is simply so we can save miliseconds by not having those sweeping shots you would normally get. I of course didn't even use it when doing this playthrough, so don't feel like it's something that you REALLY need to do if you're not going for World Record or something.

So then, let's cut right to the chase. Get one, and only ONE Potion from this guy, and nobody else. Any other that you need to collect specific items, I will tell you in this guide. Anything I don't tell you to get should be skipped in the interest of speed.

Also, once you get Cloud, you'll want to shorten his name to this. In fact, you'll want to do this with everyone except Red XIII, and also Yuffie and Vincent if you're going for a 100% speed run. The reason for this that for every extra letter in a character's name, the game has to spend extra frames typing out those letters in the textboxes, and despite the extra time spent shortening the names, most of them come up often enough in the game's script that shortening them ends up saving time anyways...

:eng101: MATH! :eng101:

Also, you'll want to be running away from almost all random encounters, as this game isn't really hard enough to warrant grinding under ANY sort of challenge, despite what my current HP might suggest. So why am I so damaged anyways? Well, that's from this fight.

See that there Tail Laser? That one really deadly attack you'd normally never see because you know better, right? Except things are a little different here. See, instead of using our limit breaks, we'll actually want to get the bars filled up, but then SAVE them for the next boss fight. But because Cloud usually either doesn't get his limit before Scorpion's tail comes up, or because he ends up using it once before that happens, you'll usually need to purposely activate one or two Tail Lasers to get his limit up again.

No worries though, Cloud's Bolt is more than enough to put away this monstrosity despite your handicap. And should Cloud or Barret end up too damaged, you can always fall back on that extra Potion (though actually World Record attempts won't be getting that extra Potion at the beginning, for obvious reasons).

No way of skipping that Potion unfortunately, but ONE DAY :argh:!

Have trouble remembering who opens what? Remember, the same people open the same doors they did last time!

The top option. Always, ALWAYS the top option unless I say otherwise!

See that Potion? Get it...

...and RUN, RUN LIKE MAD! IT'S MINE I TELL YOU MINE!! BWA HA HA HA HA HA....

::(:

Just...just talk to Jessie...

So then, here's another trick. See what I'm doing here? By walking off screen once, I actually skip some of the extra dialogue that you'd otherwise have with Barret, and cut straight to him just letting you in. Now the more observant of you will notice the weird shift in Cloud's position once going back to Barret's screen. This is for various technical reasons, but to make a long story short, let's just say that not only does my emulator desync extremely easily, but the way it handles saves is about as helpful as having a one-legged man as a partner in a butt-kicking contest :argh:.

Now back to the game itself, just WHY the game would let you skip text like that, I'll never know...and speaking of mysteries...

Women. And I guess really weird men, but let's not go there ok? I'm guessing some of you may be wondering "do I have to do anything special in order to get through that date scene the quickest"? Well fortunately the answer is "no". See, while Barret and Yuffie's dates are shorter than Tifa and Aerith's, they take too much time in picking specific dialogue choices to justify getting, and since Tifa and Aerith's dates take the same amount of time, just mashing the top choice won't make a darn bit of difference as far as that goes...

Of course, that's not to say it won't bite you in other ways :argh:!

So remember that one time in the game where you're on a train, when suddenly Jessie accidently flips an alarm?

Well once you get to the second train, you'll want to get a Turbo Ether this guy, and then go into the menu and equip that fancy new Assault Gun you've got. And once you've done that, you'll also want to remove Cloud's materia, and then move both Barret and Tifa into the back row.

But Fionordequester you might ask. Doesn't the timer keep on going when you do this? Why yes it does, and by the time you close the menu, this will happen...

Yes, the scene ends up as an anti-climax, and the group just heads off the train as normal, just further away from the Reactor #5 entrance.

So here's another example of saving time in unexpected places. You'll have to go up two more screens that you normally would, but there's enough extra dialogue with the AVALANCHE trio that you still end up saving time this way despite the encounters. So, why not take that opportunity to equip ourselves :eyewink:?

So pick up these two Ethers (yes, the top one is from Elentor's since I messed up my screenshots)

...get past the world's worst security system...

And then junk this piece of trash with your limit breaks!!

Oh yes, and some help from Tifa as well. For those curious, had I not removed Cloud's Ice Materia, this very likely wouldn't have been the stomping it was (though of course, there is always that chance that Airbuster will turn towards Tifa before she can have a chance to finish it off...not that it matters much).

Choose those two options in that exact order, push that barrel over after the second, tell Aerith to RUN! again the third time...

...all while pointing and laughing at Reno's humiliation :keke:!

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!

You know what, you're right...

A true mercenary would've gotten THIS as well as that Cover Materia and Ether we got last screenshot! Yeah, bet you guys didn't know you could get THIS inside your room! In fact, you get both this AND a Potion from that white square looking thing above your bed. Ye

Admittedly a bit heartless, but then how else am I supposed to buy 65 Grenades AND do what I want to do at the Wall Market?!? Because all those items I told you to collect so far? They were all for selling in order to get these babies! As for that 438 extra Gold, well...

...let's just say we're looking to become fabulous for our little excursion in the Wall Market!

So choose this option here...

Choose the "Digestive" option in this shop...

...and do everything as normal until choosing the bottom two options here...

Surprised? Yeah, turns out that dolling Cloud up is STILL around 30 seconds faster than beating up Kotch and Skotch despite what you may think otherwise. Do this, get the Blonde Wig, get this item here...

And um, we WILL definitely win...

...if you can call this winning :gonk:...

:cry:

BOTTOM...TWO...NOW!!!

Before waking these two up (Aerith then Tifa), and then put them both in the back row. And if you're wondering why Cloud keeps getting put in front, it's because for however useless most limits are in a speed run setting, one of Cloud's Level 1 Limit's actually has a unique niche to fill.

You see, the fact that his Cross-Slash limit can paralyze enemies actually ends up being fairly helpful for not only stalling some bosses, but also setting up the...Deathblow, as it were...and if you don't know what I mean, you'll see. But for now, we're going to want it by the time we fight the last three Disc 1 bosses, so Cloud needs to use Braver about 8 times before that point.

As for Aps...

...Shock him once...

...and then pelt him with Grenades the whole time. Yes, that Bolt was totally necessary, because 65 Grenades is just one less Grenade than is needed to last for all of Midgar. Plus, by just spamming Grenades, you'll often end up doing something like 1900 HP worth of damage by the end when all you needed to do was 1800 HP, so using that extra Grenade rather than a Bolt is also a bit of a waste.

Now then, get that Steal Materia on the way out, as well as the first Potion (on the path) and Hi-Potion (inside one of the trains) you come across in the Train Graveyard.

So Cloud has a full limit bar, and due to insanely fast speed, I only barely manage to Braver Reno before getting trapped, and blowing him up with Grenades. That is the most interesting thing I can say about this battle since, to this day, I STILL can't figure out why they would actually make Reno easier than Aps :cripes:.

Now then, back at the Wall Market, you'll want to sell both of the new Ethers you should've gotten in order to buy two Cover Materia for a certain boss later on.

So fun fact, those of you with good memories may recall how these bulbs cost 100 Gil apiece. Selling those two Ethers only got us up to 2388 Gil with which to buy two 1000 Gil materia. Add in the extra 300 for bulbs on top of that, and we literally only have 88 Gil to spare now. So basically, we ended up having to use almost every single bit of money we had to execute these strategies...

Fortunately, money won't be quite so tight in the future, so you can just skip that Ether on the way up :keke:!

Now this here is kind of interesting. First of all, no matter your choice, you still get to take whichever path you wish no matter what you told your party you were going to do. As for what to choose, technically, if you were to choose the top option and then get extremely lucky with the elevator, you can actually end up getting to the top faster than if you had used the stairs...however, the chances of that happening are only 20%, and since you'll also get this Elixer if you go up the stairs...

The stairs are, unfortunately, the best option :sigh:.

Grenades.

Then talk to this guy in a grey suit before getting on the elevator.

Now then, you'll want to get the Cardkey, but you DON'T want to have to save or take longer than needed, so what are you to do?

Well, if you read this specific section of the library shown in the image above, whatever this textbox says will point you to the right answer, alongside this handy dandy chart ;)!

BEST - 2 Economic report: Space Dev Program
KING - 1 Results of failed space mission "YA-79"
BOMB - 1 Breakdown of SOLDIER members by class
MAKO - 10 New plans for urban planning"

Use the elevator.

We may not be seeing the weirdest floor in Floor 63, but this certainly is a close second. So the first chest is always in the same place, but after that, the order in which you open these chests is entire determined by which burning, dark red scab looking thing you fill in on the green circle thing right here...

So place the first part just to the right of the entrance, and then continue counter-clockwise around. By doing that, the chests will open in this order:

code:
--------------------------------------
|                            |       |
|                            |  [5]  |
|                            |       |
|--------                    ---------
|  [3]  |
|       |
|  [1]  |
|-------|
|  [2]  |
|       |
|  [4]  |
|-------|-----------------------------
Make sure to go left to reach the fifth chest since it's a little bit faster than going right.

So have Barret take Aerith away (I'll justify this next update), and right before this fight, you should get that Poison Materia next to the save point for a boss later on. Also, this is the very first fight in the game in which you'll want to switch battle modes to "Wait" instead of "Active", because the Poison ailment becomes about three times as deadly under Active as it does on Wait, and while you don't HAVE to have Wait on to survive it, well...let's just put it this way...

This is the party on Wait...

And this is the party under Active...quite a difference huh? Of course, I didn't bother healing before either fight, so you can still easily kill HO512 under Active without losing anyone, just...it's not as fast.

No changes here.

Talk to Aerith first, then get some sleep by approaching the prison door afterwards. After that...

Get those Potions alongside the Trail of Blood.

And don't change Materia or anything here. But once you refuse to change that...

Use that Titan Bangle and some clever menuing to get that Silver Armlet on Aerith, and a Bronze Bangle on Nanaki. And then, finally, switch back to Active.

Now, despite that Silver Armlet on Aerith, there's a small chance that she'll die here without healing, but DO NOT USE HEALING OR LIMITS NO MATTER WHAT! The guy doesn't give enough experience to be worth the trouble, and Limits are just Grenades with longer animations, so just keep blasting away with Grenades.

As for Rufus, show Dark Nation your Braver...

And destroy Reno the same way as everyone else!

Now then, make a CAT party (Cloud, Aerith, and Tifa), and put everyone in the front row before moving on.

See this? This is me NOT getting owned by the bikers, unlike a certain OTHER LPer! See, the red motorcycles may be dodgy, but there's a little A.I. exploit that makes it so that as long as you have your thumb held down on Cloud slashing in either direction, they will NEVER attempt to go past Cloud. You still have to deal with the orange ones, sure, but there really aren't that many of them.

As you can imagine, this and several helpings of Bolt as well as the rest of our Grenades makes this fight a rather anti-climactic one despite it capping off Midgar...:sigh:...

So anyways, that is all of Midgar! This section took around 2 hours and 14 minutes for ME personally to get through (the best single segment runner I know of did it in around 1:59:16), so basically what took 19 updates for Elentor only took 1 for me. And seeing as though this is one of the more uneventful sections of a speed playthrough, well, just you wait ;)!

Well for starters, there are going to be at least two skips in the next section, one of them being a sequence break, and the other being a cutscene skip (though unfortunately not the Kalm one)! And THEN there's even going to be RNG manipulation in which we actually rig a back attack on one of the bosses! All this of course will come with LOTS of menu manipulation!

So how are we going to do all this? FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON LET'S PLAY, FINAL FANTASY VII!! This is Fionordequester signing out. Have a nice day and Godspeed!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 9, 2013

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

GIF

So then, here's another trick. See what I'm doing here? By walking off screen once, I actually skip some of the extra dialogue that you'd otherwise have with Barret, and cut straight to him just letting you in. Now WHY the game would do that, I'll never know...and speaking of mysteries...

No, I don't. I'm guessing there's supposed to be an animated gif there, but you seem to have forgotten it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Red Metal posted:

No, I don't. I'm guessing there's supposed to be an animated gif there, but you seem to have forgotten it.

Huh...well that's embarrasing. Excitement will do that to you I guess :sigh:. Alright, I'll fix that in a few moments.

EDIT: Aaaaaand got it! You should be seeing that GIF now!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 8, 2013

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Your library screenshot seems to be a repeated "poor grey-suit guy" screenshot

Also I kind of lost you with the "red scab" bit, and why you didn't rename Aeris to A, Cloud to C, and Tifa to T (like you mentioned doing)
What is the Bolt on Aps useful for? It could be my poor reading comprehension but I didn't quite get that either.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think it paralyzed him?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

Also I kind of lost you with the "red scab" bit, and why you didn't rename Aeris to A, Cloud to C, and Tifa to T (like you mentioned doing.

Hmm...I'll see if I can describe that more clearly. As for the renaming, I didn't feel like doing it, as it really does only save frames. Gotta enjoy my time right?

quote:

What is the Bolt on Aps useful for? It could be my poor reading comprehension but I didn't quite get that either.

Hmm, so it seems I should have explained that. Basically, 65 Grenades isn't QUITE good enough to last all throughout Midgar, so a single Bolt is used so that we won't run out by the time we kill Motorball. Plus, on average, just spamming Grenades all the way makes it so that you'll usually hit Aps for something like 100 more HP than you needed to hit him for by the time the battle ends, so doing that also wastes that one Grenade.

EDIT: Also, I have now sucked it up, redid the "grey suit guy" screenshot, added a screenshot to Floor 65, and explained why I used Bolt on Aps once more clearly. Hopefully this helps :)!

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 8, 2013

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Also, once you get Cloud, you'll want to shorten his name to this. In fact, you'll want to do this with everyone except Red XIII

Why wouldn't you shorten Red XIII's name as well?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Truman Sticks posted:

Why wouldn't you shorten Red XIII's name as well?

His name doesn't appear often enough in the script to be worth shortening.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
At first I had no idea what the gently caress you were doing.

Then I saw you save up your limits on Air Bomber. Very nice. :golfclap: this will make things interesting, we now have a pro run, a low run, and a speed run of this game all at once.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
By far, the most egregious crime the PC-MIDI soundtrack committed has not yet been shown in this thread.

Vague end-game music spoilers ahoy. I first played FFVII for the PC. I got to the end of the game, beat it, and everything was fine. Imagine my shock when I later discovered that the final boss theme actually had a chorus! Yes, the chorus is left entirely out of the PC version. This omission robs the tune of a lot of its charm. I don't think that the new PC version fixes this rather serious problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

At first I had no idea what the gently caress you were doing.

Then I saw you save up your limits on Air Bomber. Very nice. :golfclap: this will make things interesting, we now have a pro run, a low run, and a speed run of this game all at once.

And that's not all! I'm even throwing in strategies for a 100% run (defined thus far as "all optional bosses and all optional characters")! So expect those giant green and red pieces of garbage to be getting the speed run treatment as well ;)!

David Corbett posted:

I first played FFVII for the PC. I got to the end of the game, beat it, and everything was fine. Imagine my shock when I later discovered that the final boss theme actually had a chorus! This bit is left completely out of the PC version, and frankly robs the song of a lot of its charm. I don't think that the new PC version fixes this rather serious problem.

...You know, this is probably me having weird tastes, but I actually liked that version a bit better than the PSX version because of how much I liked the instruments. The chorus kind of drowns them out.

• Locked thread