Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glamorama26 posted:

Land of the Dead builds on a lot of the themes and ideas presented in Day and for that, I appreciate it. It just falls incredibly short in a lot of aspects, it's just pretty okay and that wasn't good enough for that series at that point at all.

Yeah, Romero should have stuck to his guns and made his original vision for Twilight of the Dead. Romero's idea was that as Dawn of the Dead had used the zombies to represent mindless consumers, Twilight would use them to illustrate the homeless problem. The old zombies had all decayed and become a negligible threat, so when you saw a zombie you didn't reach for your gun - you just crossed the street or kicked it out of the way if it reached for you, or simply ignored it if it didn't. It was one of the most interesting takes on the zombie theme I've ever seen, second only to John Ajvide Lindqvist's Handling the Undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

What's the consensus on Home Sweet Home? Aside from the absolute lack of chemistry between the married couple and the predictable plot, I found the whole thing pretty goddamn creepy. The opening segment, before a principal character says a word, is mesmerizing. Both my wife and I thought it could have been a short film. I've got tons of problems with this flick, but I'll be damned if it hasn't affected my thoughts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

What's the consensus on Home Sweet Home? Aside from the absolute lack of chemistry between the married couple and the predictable plot, I found the whole thing pretty goddamn creepy. The opening segment, before a principal character says a word, is mesmerizing. Both my wife and I thought it could have been a short film. I've got tons of problems with this flick, but I'll be damned if it hasn't affected my thoughts.

I remember being drawn into it weirdly but I should probably see it again.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

Yeah, Romero should have stuck to his guns and made his original vision for Twilight of the Dead. Romero's idea was that as Dawn of the Dead had used the zombies to represent mindless consumers, Twilight would use them to illustrate the homeless problem. The old zombies had all decayed and become a negligible threat, so when you saw a zombie you didn't reach for your gun - you just crossed the street or kicked it out of the way if it reached for you, or simply ignored it if it didn't. It was one of the most interesting takes on the zombie theme I've ever seen, second only to John Ajvide Lindqvist's Handling the Undead.

That would have been so much better than Land. In Land you get characters basically flat out telling you about the poors/rich people and how bad it is.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Drunkboxer posted:

That would have been so much better than Land. In Land you get characters basically flat out telling you about the poors/rich people and how bad it is.

Warm Bodies does everything that Land of the Dead did and does it better. If you've been holding out on watching it because you're afraid it may be too Twilighty, give it a chance. It's worth a rental at the very least.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OK Octopus posted:

Warm Bodies does everything that Land of the Dead did and does it better. If you've been holding out on watching it because you're afraid it may be too Twilighty, give it a chance. It's worth a rental at the very least.

I've been avoiding it because it seemed to be a little winky and self aware. But I'll probably end up seeing it anyway.

edit: I'm not going to post in the thread for it, because that thread is kinda terrible, but the Evil Dead remake was fun. I can see where people are coming from talking about how it doesn't quite have the insanity of the original, but I'm not sure anyone besides Raimi can capture that particular flavor of bonkers. It's the first really gory movie I've seen recently that isn't set it up to make it seem like I'm personally torturing the characters simply by watching the movie (I'm looking at you Saw/Hostel franchise).

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 7, 2013

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Land of the Dead is worth a watch, but for the love of god do not watch Survival of the Dead or Diary of the dead.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Land of the Dead is worth a watch, but for the love of god do not watch Survival of the Dead or Diary of the dead.

No, do watch Survival. It's amazing just how bad it is.

Andrew Verse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 7, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It is indeed worth a watch, but some of Romero's social commentary is even more ham-fisted than usual (like "shock and awe" the zombies) and it gave me the impression at the time that it was all downhill from there and I was right.

Never seen Survival, but holy poo poo is Diary a piece of crap. It went for the found footage concept but added a bunch of really terrible melodrama and lovely CGI gore and is flat-out BORING at times.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Justin Godscock posted:

It is indeed worth a watch, but some of Romero's social commentary is even more ham-fisted than usual (like "shock and awe" the zombies) and it gave me the impression at the time that it was all downhill from there and I was right.

Never seen Survival, but holy poo poo is Diary a piece of crap. It went for the found footage concept but added a bunch of really terrible melodrama and lovely CGI gore and is flat-out BORING at times.

I agree with your assessment of Land. I saw it when it was released, but I've never had a desire to revisit it. Romero isn't exactly known for being subtle, but this one really was too ham-fisted.

Survival is significantly worse then Diary. It follows the military people's story from Diary. it involves them on a farm or something? i can barely remember. It is one of the dullest films I have ever watched.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Is Land of the Dead worth a watch? I liked Night, Dawn and even Day (to a lesser degree) but I've heard mixed things about any of Romero's films after those 3.

The Crazies, another of Romero's 70's flicks, is worth a watch, and then it gives you an excuse to watch the remake with Timothy Olyphant, which is underrated in my mind.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Has there ever been a successful Day of the Triffids movie/miniseries?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

CobiWann posted:

The Crazies, another of Romero's 70's flicks, is worth a watch, and then it gives you an excuse to watch the remake with Timothy Olyphant, which is underrated in my mind.
I've seen the remake, didn't hate it but it wasn't very memorable either. Romeros version is on my list, thanks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tharizdun posted:

Has there ever been a successful Day of the Triffids movie/miniseries?

The original BBC series.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm currently watching The Strangers. Like right now. It's playing as I'm typing this. I'm 46 minutes in. I'm not wrong in saying that we're suppose to be cheering for the killers right? I mean they're doing the world a service in killing off the stupidest people on earth ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Another really great Romero film is Bruiser, I wish honestly Romero would go back to making just regular horror and art house horror films. I mean seriously Martin is loving amazing and if you haven't seen it you should. Not all of his films are brilliant every director has some stinkers but overall most of his movies are good.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Volume posted:

So I'm currently watching The Strangers. Like right now. It's playing as I'm typing this. I'm 46 minutes in. I'm not wrong in saying that we're suppose to be cheering for the killers right? I mean they're doing the world a service in killing off the stupidest people on earth ever.

The Strangers is a bad movie that sets a great tone/mood.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Question for the Horror Thread: Which are some of the best episodes of the Masters of Horror series? What are the essential ones I should watch?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

LesterGroans posted:

Question for the Horror Thread: Which are some of the best episodes of the Masters of Horror series? What are the essential ones I should watch?

Incident on a Mountain Pass is the best one. I liked Imprint, Jennifer and Cigarette Burns quite a bit too.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

My favorites are Jenifer, Deer Woman, Cigarette Burns, Haeckel's Tale, Pro-Life, Fair Haired Child, The Screwfly Solution, Right to Die, and The Washingtonians.

Carpenter's entries remind me of his Apocalypse Trilogy and I really enjoyed them quite a bit, particularly Cigarette Burns.

I'd probably have an easier time listing the ones I don't like. I didn't like the Miike one, Dream Cruise, or Sounds Like. Pick Me Up has a really neat premise but doesn't really live up to it.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Essential: Cigarette Burns, Deer Woman, Family, Pelts, Pick Me Up, Pro-Life

Most of them are pretty good though, the only ones I'd flat out call poo poo are Chocolate, Dance of the Dead, Dream Cruise, Valerie on the Stairs and Sick Girl.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Thanks, that's a good list to start with.

Has anyone seen that Fear, Itself anthology series? I remember seeing an episode or two but nothing memorable. Any of that worth checking out?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

LesterGroans posted:

Has anyone seen that Fear, Itself anthology series? I remember seeing an episode or two but nothing memorable. Any of that worth checking out?

Not really, no. A couple episodes get up to "mediocre" but there's nothing spectacular. The acting is mostly terrible, the episodes are predictable, it's just not very good.

It could be worth a watch if you're bored (I think most of it is on youtube).

Smapti
Jun 15, 2013

weekly font posted:

The Strangers is a bad movie that sets a great tone/mood.

I agree, although I think that tone is stolen wholesale from the vastly superior Them/Ils.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Drunkboxer posted:

I've been avoiding it because it seemed to be a little winky and self aware. But I'll probably end up seeing it anyway.

It's a good flick, as was said at least worth the rental. Nicholas Hoult acts the poo poo out of his part, and if nothing else it's amusing watching Rob Corddry work his way back to playing Rob Corddry in a film.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
To everybody who recommended to skip ABC's of Death, sorry I doubted you.

Great concept, terrible execution.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

User-Friendly posted:

Not really, no. A couple episodes get up to "mediocre" but there's nothing spectacular.

I liked the zombie episode v:shobon:v

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Everyone always recommends Cigarette Burns, but I was kinda underwhelmed by it. It's good, but it's really just a combination of The Ninth Gate and The King in Yellow. Don't go in expecting anything mindblowingly original, and you'll enjoy it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Silhouette posted:

Everyone always recommends Cigarette Burns, but I was kinda underwhelmed by it. It's good, but it's really just a combination of The Ninth Gate and The King in Yellow. Don't go in expecting anything mindblowingly original, and you'll enjoy it.

It's also got a bit of 8mm and In The Mouth of Madness mixed in. Frankly I liked it alot, pretty much my favorite of the series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Finally we've found the one person that likes Bruiser.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Finally we've found the one person that likes Bruiser.

It's a good film, not his best ,but it's way better than his last 2 films. I like it because it's this weird " What if George Romero decided to write and direct a Kafkaesque tale". It's this great bizzaro horror film. What do you not like about it?

I think at the time people were expecting something really different, but now it holds up more than it did then just because of it's weirdness. That and it's not really "horror" in a traditional sense, it's more of a "Twilight Zone" horror. So people expecting this gory film were probably a little let down.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 8, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like how oddball it is but it's no Monkeyshines (or Knightriders, for a total 'what the hell am I watching, this owns' kind of departure). I think it's kind of unfairly poorly regarded, but that's mostly because he has made far worse films since.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like how oddball it is but it's no Monkeyshines (or Knightriders, for a total 'what the hell am I watching, this owns' kind of departure). I think it's kind of unfairly poorly regarded, but that's mostly because he has made far worse films since.

I've actually never seen Knightriders, I have seen his others that is just the one that I've never seen. Yea, Bruiser is just loving bizzare, which is why I think it's great plus it's got some really good actors in it. Well actors that eventually became really good actors, I guess is a better way to say that.

I think it's great even more now than it was then. Plus it was his first film in like 10 years I think since The Dark Half which is another underrated Romero movie. In recent interviews it really seems like he wants to make that "last great horror film" and retire though.

I just really hope Surival isn't his last film , cause that'd be awful. I'm kind of curious how the remake of Martin is going considering the main character is basically a serial rapist that you're suppose to feel sorry for. I see them drastically changing that part of the film.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 8, 2013

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

I like the first episode more than I should.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Here's the trailer for Curse of Chucky - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTiXYGTtK4M

As for some content, Child's Play is the very first movie I ever remember seeing as a child, above The Neverending Story or Who Framed Roger Rabbit or any of that other silly nonsense. I even own the Child's Play DVD box set which doesn't include the first one because of all the bullshit about the movie rights but it DOES include Seed of Chucky which is a goddamned piece of poo poo but the other ones make up for it. As for the trailer, I'm diggin' the new look although it looked kind of strange a couple of times. I also laughed while he pushed her in the wheelchair because that poo poo is funny.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've always said that a fun movie would be a prequel to Child's Play. Back when he was still human and the Lake Shore Strangler with that voodoo pal of his.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Haven't cared about Childs Play movies since I was a kid, but drat did that that wheelchair action get a pretty big laugh from me.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly

LesterGroans posted:

I really liked Dreams in the Witch House. It's by no means perfect but I thought it was a lot of fun, and happens to be one of my favorite H.P. Lovecraft stories. Deer Woman was also rad.

Is anyone else excited about the upcoming Crystal Lake Memories documentary? Pre-order started today. I LOVED the book, and can't wait for this and the upcoming Blu-Ray Friday the 13th box set so I can finally watch parts V and VI in full HD goodness.

http://crystallakememories.net/

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Smapti posted:

I agree, although I think that tone is stolen wholesale from the vastly superior Them/Ils.

Just wanted to reiterate what an amazing movie this is and you should totally go watch it ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly found The Strangers far creepier than Ils. I can't ever explain why but The Strangers got under under my skin and every sound made me jump while Ils didn't effect me at all.

I think I'm one of the few that feels this way though.