Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pokaroo posted:

Nintendo, put more games on the Wii U eshop!!! I want to give you my money. Let me give you my money.

And the 3DS VC! There are so many awesome games out there, stop dribbling them out one or two at a time and start releasing more classic poo poo instead of "oh here's a Game Gear game that nobody remembers, but the rights were cheap!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Next week's JP VC releases, for those who care: Breath of Fire 2 (Wii U/SFC), Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Wii U/SFC), Esper Dream (3DS/FC), Kunio-Kun game #5807897 (3DS/FC).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 4):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pilotwings (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    King of Fighters '99 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario & Yoshi (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until July 11
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.66 / £5.99 until July 11

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Project X Zone - €34.99 / £27.99
3DS eSHOP
    Dress To Play: Magic Bubbles! - €3.99 / £3.59
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Sonic Drift 2 (Sega Game Gear) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Vampire: Master of Darkness (Sega Game Gear) - €4.99 / £4.49
    G-LOC: Air Battle (Sega Game Gear) - €3.99 / £3.59
DSiWARE
    99Moves - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
    California Super Sports - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until July 11

NA update (week of July 4):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pilotwings (SNES) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario & Yoshi (NES VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30 until July 11
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - $6.67 until July 11

3DS eSHOP
    Deer Hunter King - $4.99
    Fishdom H20: Hidden Odyssey - $4.99
    CRAZY CONSTRUCTION (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Sonic Drift 2 (Sega Game Gear) - $3.99
    G-LOC: Air Battle (Sega Game Gear) - $3.99
    Vampire: Master of Darkness (Sega Game Gear) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until July 8
    Mighty Switch Force! (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until July 11
    Order Up!!! (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until July 11
    Planet Crashers (3DS eShop) - $4.99 from July 8-22

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is Vampire: Master of Darkness any good? It looks like a fairly generic platformer.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Vampire: Master of Darkness is Sega's attempt to make a Castlevania clone for the Game Gear and isn't actually too bad. Also you get to play as some dude named Dr. Ferdinand Social.

It's actually a better game than the Game Boy Castlevanias, for what it's worth.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Humongous Pear posted:

Vampire: Master of Darkness is Sega's attempt to make a Castlevania clone for the Game Gear and isn't actually too bad. Also you get to play as some dude named Dr. Ferdinand Social.

It's actually a better game than the Game Boy Castlevanias, for what it's worth.

So is The War Z. Still, sounds cool. Guess I'll check it out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can't wait for the Wii U Virtual Console to catch up to the Wii Virtual Console in 2018

After the next Nintendo system has already been released

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quest For Glory II posted:

I can't wait for the Wii U Virtual Console to catch up to the Wii Virtual Console in 2018

After the next Nintendo system has already been released

I just wish the 3DS virtual console would release GBA games on it. (Outside of the ambassador program.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

But it's important that the Wii U get those GBA games instead.

In 2020, the year Sealab comes true.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Looks like D4's run of Neo Geo releases on the Wii VC is pretty much done, then. RIP Wii Virtual Console.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Discount Viscount posted:

Looks like D4's run of Neo Geo releases on the Wii VC is pretty much done, then. RIP Wii Virtual Console.

They released KOF99 just last week.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They released KOF99 just last week.

Right, but that's a catch-up game for Europe. It's been a month since Sengoku 3 hit the NA VC, and IIRC they'd been delivering a Neo Geo game once every three weeks for the last year or so. Hard to say if this is a minor bump or the end - I probably overreacted but man it's easy to get worked up about every little hitch in the schedule :smith: I'd see them throw up another Neo Geo game and think of the Wii VC as Li'l Brudder.

EDIT: This page hasn't been updated in a while but the latest game listed for Japan was released in April, while EU and US both have games from May listed. Probably means nothing but I don't like the sound of it :(

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 6, 2013

Signor
Oct 10, 2005
Huzzah!
Sorry if this has been brought up before but i can't seem to find an answer on this

I'm heading over to Europe for a year on exchange and i'd like to bring over my American Wii U. Obviously buying Pal games is a no no but what happens in regards to the eShop? Can i still use the american store or will the ip address send me over to Europe one automatically? And if i use the European version do digital games still have the same region issues?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Signor posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up before but i can't seem to find an answer on this

I'm heading over to Europe for a year on exchange and i'd like to bring over my American Wii U. Obviously buying Pal games is a no no but what happens in regards to the eShop? Can i still use the american store or will the ip address send me over to Europe one automatically? And if i use the European version do digital games still have the same region issues?

eShop region is based on the hardware account, nothing to do with your IP.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 11):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Star Wars Pinball - €9.99/£7.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Donkey Kong (July 15, NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until August 13
    Kid Icarus (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Metroid (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy either Metroid or Kid Icarus, get the other for half price! - ends July 25
    Mario & Yoshi (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until July 11
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.66 / £5.99 until July 11

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. (July 12) - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS eSHOP
    Kokuga - €14.99 / £13.49
    Football Up 3D - €6.99 / £5.99
    Murder on the Titanic - €14.99 / £14.99
    My Farm 3D - €7.99 / £6.99
    Shaun the Sheep: Episodes 1-15 (video) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Shaun the Sheep: Episodes 1-5 (video) - €2.99 / £2.69
    Shaun the Sheep: Episodes 6-10 (video) - €2.99 / £2.69
    Shaun the Sheep: Episodes 10-15 (video) - €2.99 / £2.69
DSiWARE
    Lost Treasures of Alexandria - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until July 11
    Football Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.19 from July 11-25

Donkey Kong is listed as being the US version, no word on Metroid/Kid Icarus.

Note the Wii U VC deal - buy one, get one at half price for Metroid/Kid Icarus, lasts two weeks.

EDIT: just noticed they referred to Pit as "Kid Icarus" in the press release. Nice work, NOE!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 8, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

EDIT: just noticed they referred to Pit as "Kid Icarus" in the press release. Nice work, NOE!

They must've gotten his name from the hit cartoon "Captain N: The Game Master" in which he is called Kid Icarus. And Mega Man is green. And Simon Belmont looks like a human Launchpad McQuack.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
To be fair the title does directly refer to Pit.

He is the Kid Icarus.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

They must've gotten his name from the hit cartoon "Captain N: The Game Master" in which he is called Kid Icarus. And Mega Man is green. And Simon Belmont looks like a human Launchpad McQuack.

Eh? Hasn't the title always been called Kid Icarus?

Can't wait, I love that game and I hate eggplant wizards. Also Star Wars pinball is gonna be spectacular. :). Good week.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Any suggestions for a game in the $10 or less price point? I'm more interested in games that aren't rereleases of GB/SNES/Genesis/whatever games, but suggest 'em anyway if you really think they're worth my time. I'm looking for value for money, and it's also important that I not be stuck in that one game for long periods of time, either because you can save or suspend save freely or because each play session is bite-sized.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently this showed up on the NA 3DS eShop today:

I checked the pages for details, but there aren't any. Hmm.

FredMSloniker posted:

Any suggestions for a game in the $10 or less price point? I'm more interested in games that aren't rereleases of GB/SNES/Genesis/whatever games, but suggest 'em anyway if you really think they're worth my time. I'm looking for value for money, and it's also important that I not be stuck in that one game for long periods of time, either because you can save or suspend save freely or because each play session is bite-sized.

You didn't specify a console (Wii U? 3DS? Wii?)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

You didn't specify a console (Wii U? 3DS? Wii?)

Awk! Sorry! 3DS.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Gunman Clive is fairly short, has Mega Man- style platform shooting, and is rather cheap.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pushmo or crashmo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awesome! posted:

pushmo or crashmo

This is the way to go! They've got plenty of bang for your buck, bite sized content (since you could just do a puzzle at a time or whatever), and they're fun. I'd suggest picking up both.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

FredMSloniker posted:

Pushmo and Crashmo
Mario and DK: Minis on the Move
Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2
Sakura Samurai

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh yeah, Sakura Samurai is pretty fun. I'm hoping it does well enough to inspire a new series with more depth.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh yeah, Sakura Samurai is pretty fun. I'm hoping it does well enough to inspire a new series with more depth.

I was gonna try that but then the video of it made it look sort of janky. It's a good hack n slash though?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Haven't played SakSam but from what I've heard from people who have: it's a decent Punch-Out!!/Infinity Blade clone.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Zip posted:

I was gonna try that but then the video of it made it look sort of janky. It's a good hack n slash though?

Sakura Samurai is all about timing- it's not like God of War or that new Castlevania. Even when you're up against a group, each fight is basically a series of single clashes between you and a single opponent. They will attack you, and you want to dodge at the last moment and then counterattack. You don't have to be perfect, and a lot of the time you can dodge early and still get your attack in, but you get a streak rating ("precision points") which is granted for dodging when the game wants you to and hitting enemies, and broken by getting hit or missing an attack. This video shows the combat pretty well, though obviously he's fighting early enemies and it gets more complicated (and demanding) as you get later into the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A minor Wii U firmware update has gone live, here's the changelog:

quote:

Version 3.1.0 U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Improvements to Standby Functions:

The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on. For further detailed information, click here.
Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Also...

quote:

*A system update providing further additions to system functionality is planned for release between the end of September and beginning of October.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Having the software updates actually pre-install instead of installing when the game boots is actually a pretty big deal. :shobon:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A minor Wii U firmware update has gone live, here's the changelog:

Also...
Oh yeah I forgot summer was in October, pretty cool guys.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh yeah I forgot summer was in October, pretty cool guys.

The system works far better than at launch right now, I'd prefer Nintendo get the next update perfect instead of sticking to a nebulous "summer" date.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Not sure if it had been announced previously, but NOE just Tweeted that the VC release of Shantae will be out on July 18th.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/355646607737360385

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh crap, I forgot about the weekly update...

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
Is Mario 2 the only new thing on the NA eShop this week?

balgaines
Jan 22, 2001

Time to get serious, people.
Metroid came out yesterday.

edit: on the Wii U VC. I think Mario 2 was the only thing on the 3DS but I'm not sure.

balgaines fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 12, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I guess everyone knows because it sent an update to your 3DS, but the new StreetPass games came out in NA today. $5 each, or 4 for $15.

They're alright.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

The T posted:

I guess everyone knows because it sent an update to your 3DS, but the new StreetPass games came out in NA today. $5 each, or 4 for $15.

They're alright.

came out yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Ugh, they look neat enough and I love that streetpass stuff, but $5 each? That's just too steep for something like this. What are the chances they'll ever get cheaper?