Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kloa posted:

How does someone go through that many MagSafe cords? Mine from 2009 looks brand new.

So long as you just make sure there's no strain on the cord when stowing it away, I see no reason for anyone to have to exchange their charger due to physical damage (no for electrical failure reasons or whatever). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
At work we have MagSafes from 2009 that are in perfect condition that get used all day every day, while being moved around.

I've never understood why anyone's adapter would fray other than from not taking care of it.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
It's because people pull on the cord rather than the connector.
I've got magsafes from 2007 that have been used daily without issue.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Don't buy a third-party one. I did, and it died in about three months.

Also, whatever you're doing to kill your chargers, stop.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I have a MagSafe adapter that is five years old and is in the same condition as when I bought it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

teen witch posted:

It appears my MagSafe charger is disintegrating. There is only so much electrical tape in the world.

This is my fifth charger in four years (blah blah blah death to MagSafe)

I need to get a new charger, while cheap 3rd party seems tempting, I'm PETRIFIED that I'll end up burning my house down. But I'd rather not shell out $80 for a brand new OEM one.

EDIT: what the hell do I do. Also, getting to the Apple store isn't an option until the weekend, when I'm free.

poo poo, my wife's Apple branded magsafe charger tried to burn our house down, so kind of a toss up. When magsafe goes bad, it goes bad in a usually pretty spectacular way.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Use the arms on the charger when putting it away too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone posted this yet, but AnAnd has posted their review comparison of the i5 vs i7 Macbook Air.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u

The i7 seems to be about 20% more powerful over all. Biggest surprise is that the i7 gets the same ish battery life on a low work load.

With my personal uses I have pretty much literally no need for the i7 (the biggest thing I do is Civ and it runs fine so far), but the nerd in me almost regrets not getting the i7. Almost regrets.

Edit: poo poo, horribly beat to this one.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 8, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't think anyone posted this yet, but AnAnd has posted their review comparison of the i5 vs i7 Macbook Air.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u

The i7 seems to be about 20% more powerful over all. Biggest surprise is that the i7 gets the same ish battery life on a low work load.

With my personal uses I have pretty much literally no need for the i7 (the biggest thing I do is Civ and it runs fine so far), but the nerd in me almost regrets not getting the i7. Almost regrets.

Did you miss it along with all the huge graphs on the last page ? :haw:

It's a huge improvement compared to the 10% gain the i7 previously had over the i5.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

poo poo, my wife's Apple branded magsafe charger tried to burn our house down, so kind of a toss up. When magsafe goes bad, it goes bad in a usually pretty spectacular way.

I haven't had it that bad, but I've had exposed wire a few times.

I go everywhere with my laptop in tow, and when I can, I do wrap the wires the correct way and treat it like the delicate wire flower it is. Clearly I don't do it enough (even though I managed to make this charger last a year, which is a new disturbing record).

(I'm not getting into the "Apple, what is it with you and cables" argument)

E: I'm also springing for the new charger, if MagSafe is what it is, third party might be even worse.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Pretty stoked that I just sold my 2011 13" MBA for $750. Local free online classifieds were painful with lowballs and really bad swap offers (the best being a broken-down ride-on lawn mower). I finally thought of using a local professional mailing list I have access to and 2 hours later got a taker. I remember someone in the thread suggesting I could get $900 for it but with similar-spec 2012 refurbs going for $850 online I'm pretty happy to have it over with and make a fellow professional happy. Thanks for the earlier responses though because they did help me with settling and being satisfied with what I got for it instead of having unrealistic expectations.

Moral of the story: mailing lists still have a purpose in 2013.

Now I get to have all of the fun of being in buy-a-Mac mode again, just in time for the back-to-school promo my part-time student wife can help me with.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I'm having to sell my new 11"/512gb/1.3ghz Air in SA-Mart, if anyone is interested. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558708

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
What's battery life running Windows on a Macbook Pro like nowadays? When I run Windows XP on my 2009 MBP, I get ~90 minutes.

Also am I correct in assuming that the latest MBPs with SSD drives have similar performance to the Air models?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Depends, but almost universally worse.

Yes, though afaik the Retina MBPs haven't implemented the PCI-based SSDs used in the new Airs, yet.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Windows 7 and Windows 8 are better optimized for battery life than Windows XP. But they won't be as good as OS X.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Huh so a new Mini would run me just shy of £900, and a 24" IPS monitor will add on £200. I assume it would be worth just paying another £120 and getting a refurbed 27" iMac? Hell, a refurbed 21.5" is just straight-up cheaper than a Mini and new monitor. I've been perfectly happy with my current 23.6" 1920x1080 monitor for working on and never found myself hard-up for screen space, has anyone used both the 21.5" and 27" screens and can comment on how useful the increased resolution and screen space is?

Also coming from plug 'n play PC, how easy would it be to fit my own SSD in place of the HDD that the refurbs come with?

Thanks dude, looks like a huge pain in the arse :( The main reason I'm buying a Mac is to streamline my setup so I can spend more time doing the work I'm paid for rather than fiddling with poo poo.
\/\/\/

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 8, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Creepy Goat posted:

Also coming from plug 'n play PC, how easy would it be to fit my own SSD in place of the HDD that the refurbs come with?

etalian posted:

Check here:http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936/1

From the teardown Apple just switched from 3.5" to the laptop 2.5" hard drive.

Still pretty miserable to take apart due to using the glue method to bond the chassis together.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
If I buy this new Airport Extreme that does the 802.11ac networks, do any AAPL devices currently support that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Samara posted:

If I buy this new Airport Extreme that does the 802.11ac networks, do any AAPL devices currently support that?
The new MacBook Airs do, and presumably anything new that Apple introduces going forward.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Samara posted:

The reviews are that

Samara posted:

The reviews are that the new MBAs support them, but something in the software prevents the speeds from reaching anywhere close to the higher maximums. I believe they said Mavericks should fix the issue.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So earlier in this thread I asked for brand recommendations on microfiber cloth/cleaner and people recommended that all I needed to clean my rMBP screen was any damp microfiber cloth. I just used a MagicFiber brand cloth dampened with a little water and it put a loving scratch on my screen. loving gently caress.

What brands do you guys use?

edit: it also ends up attracting more dust afterward anyway. gently caress these loving goddamn things

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 8, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Gecko Clearscreen is pretty good, it's a spray and cloth.

Before cleaning the screen I usually like to lightly wipe off any dust before using the spray so that I don't end up dragging it around and scratching the display.

With the clearscreen cloth I haven't had any issues with static either.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
My Macbook Air has now started to get hot when sleeping. I closed it while at 90% battery and a few hours later it's at 65% and hot. Luckily I'm already switching it for a replacement, I just hope it won't happen again.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Is it worth spending $50 more for the iPad 3 over the 2?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

$50 for a Retina screen is a steal

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Selklubber posted:

My Macbook Air has now started to get hot when sleeping. I closed it while at 90% battery and a few hours later it's at 65% and hot. Luckily I'm already switching it for a replacement, I just hope it won't happen again.

:ssh: then it's not sleeping. Something is keeping it awake, most likely some third-party software.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I'm looking at a 2013 MBA and was wondering if anyone can comment on running Windows 8 with Boot Camp (ie. can it be done yet). Details seem to be very thin on the ground. This would be my first time on a Mac and there are a few things (Foobar, paid up Office 365 subscription, not very graphically intensive Steam games) I'd like to have pretty much seamless access to.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The current Boot Camp supports Win8. It's not exactly seamless though as it requires a restart.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

hampig posted:

I'm looking at a 2013 MBA and was wondering if anyone can comment on running Windows 8 with Boot Camp (ie. can it be done yet). Details seem to be very thin on the ground. This would be my first time on a Mac and there are a few things (Foobar, paid up Office 365 subscription, not very graphically intensive Steam games) I'd like to have pretty much seamless access to.
You can install Office from your subscription on the Mac at least but Office on the Mac is kind of awful.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Mercurius posted:

You can install Office from your subscription on the Mac at least but Office on the Mac is kind of awful.

Any particular reason? For what it's worth, I'd be quite happy not using Office at all, but my uni sends documents out in .docx because, well, I don't know why.

Joe Don Baker posted:

The current Boot Camp supports Win8. It's not exactly seamless though as it requires a restart.

Yeah I figured. I guess I'm wondering about whether it actually runs well enough to be considered usable, or is that implied by "supported"? To be kinda specific, would I have problems with say an Xbox controller since I'd like to chill out playing some platformers every now and then and my house doesn't have a console (or a tv for that matter).

hampig fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 9, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

hampig posted:

Any particular reason? For what it's worth, I'd be quite happy not using Office at all, but my uni sends documents out in .docx because, well, I don't know why.

Yeah I figured. I guess I'm wondering about whether it actually runs well enough to be considered usable, or is that implied by "supported"?

I personally don't mind Mac Office so much. I used to swivel chair between Mac and Windows office and while they are different in some of the UI stuff they are nearly functionally identical. Outlook is the worst offender since you cannot create a local data file on a Mac but if you copy one from the PC it works fine. I have since replaced my work PC with an Air and it is fine for me.

As for booting windows I have an iMac from January and it runs a Windows in either Parallels or VMWare so well I have never had to do something that required booting fully into Windows, if that makes sense. If it runs that well in a VM on last years model I would be surprised if it was a problem booting natively.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

hampig posted:

Yeah I figured. I guess I'm wondering about whether it actually runs well enough to be considered usable, or is that implied by "supported"? To be kinda specific, would I have problems with say an Xbox controller since I'd like to chill out playing some platformers every now and then and my house doesn't have a console (or a tv for that matter).

I'm running Windows 8.1 Preview and everything works. That said, the trackpad is still a piece of crap just like every other windows laptop, but it's not worse than the others. USB, Bluetooth, everything has drivers available and functions normally. About the only other thing you'll notice is somewhat reduced battery life.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Cool Matty posted:

I'm running Windows 8.1 Preview and everything works. That said, the trackpad is still a piece of crap just like every other windows laptop, but it's not worse than the others. USB, Bluetooth, everything has drivers available and functions normally. About the only other thing you'll notice is somewhat reduced battery life.

Thanks. Any ballpark figure on the reduced battery life? I can live with 9 hours down from twelve, but 5 or 6 would be :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Two quick questions re: an old Mac Pro 1.1

1) It currently has 2x dual-core Xeon 5140s (2.0 Ghz) in it. If I wanted to swap those for 2x 5160s (3.0 Ghz), it should be ok to use the 5160s that were originally part of an HP server CPU/Heatsink upgrade kit, right?

2) Any concerns over possibly mixed steppings? Ideally they'd both be SLAB9 for the lower thermal output at idle, but it may not be possible to get a matched pair. I could guarantee a matched pair but I'd have to go with a set pulled from a working system, and using used (or even new-but-installed) parts would worry me a little.

Thanks!

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

hampig posted:

Thanks. Any ballpark figure on the reduced battery life? I can live with 9 hours down from twelve, but 5 or 6 would be :(

I don't use it much, but under light load it's estimating about 1-2 hours less, but if you hammer it (think gaming), it will gladly go down to 3 hours or so.

Edit: This is a 13" MBA 2013.

Cool Matty fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 9, 2013

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Cool Matty posted:

I don't use it much, but under light load it's estimating about 1-2 hours less, but if you hammer it (think gaming), it will gladly go down to 3 hours or so.

Edit: This is a 13" MBA 2013.

Thanks for that, gives me a much better idea of what to expect.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Another Haswell rMBP geekbench surfaced. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2139563

Looks like no dedicated gpu for 15".

E: VV Just meant it's running the Iris pro 5200 and not an nVidia card.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 9, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

tirinal posted:

Another Haswell rMBP geekbench surfaced. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2139563

Looks like no dedicated gpu for 15".

Wait, how do you figure that?

Hm, this comparison is interesting:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/compare/2139386/2139563

What's up with that lower L3 cache?

fookolt fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 9, 2013

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I don't really know how the geekbench tests work but I guess it would be entirely possible to use something like gfxCardStatus to lock the system into the integrated if that's all they wanted to benchmark.

I'm not sure what kind of thermal envelope they're working with for the newer retina MBP's but I think the 760M was only a few watts higher than the 750M/650M for quite a big performance improvement so I'm somewhat hopeful that the reduced power/heat from Haswell will allow them to shoehorn one in alongside the HD5200.

Seeing a 2.4GHz Haswell CPU keeping pace (and outperforming a bit in a lot of cases) with a 2.8GHz Ivy refresh is nice to see. It's also nice to look at Intel's ARK page for the i7-4950HQ and see that the processor they're using has the Iris Pro along with every possible option enabled. Really kind of interested to see what they do with the 13" as well.

Edit: I'm thinking of the 755m (same TDP as 750m) rather than the 760m. 760m is quite a bit higher TDP wise.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
The cost of a CPU with a 5200 pro is more than the combined cost of one with a throwaway 4600 and a 750M. There is no way they will include both, unless they wanted to make it a BTO option with hundreds of dollars of consumer markup.