Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Under 15 posted:

On the other hand, one of Yang's hobby horses is that terrorism can't change the path of history... that doesn't line up particularly well with what's been going on in the last twelve years.

Major spoilers for the end of the show the show goes out of its way to show that yang is wrong. Though the caveat above is probably more accurate (that terrorism cannot bring positive or progressive change). But yang is chatting nasty about them terraists, and then they kill him on his way to negotiate with Reinhard. Profound historical change.

The critical element is that, no, nothing positive has come out of terrorism in the last twelve years. Just death, and the squashing of rights in the name of security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I have to disagree with that. (ending spoilers) Yang's death isn't a profound change at all... Yang fights Reinhard to a ceasefire in the corridor and is stopped by the Terraists from (presumably) trading Iserlohn for Heinessen and peace. However, the very next year, Julian fights Reinhard to a ceasefire again in the corridor and successfully trades Iserlohn for Heinessen and peace. Nothing got changed; history was only delayed a bit.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the mkv files, but I just downloaded the show from the torrent listed a few pages back, and the first few files give me an error message. After that, VLC just opens most of the files and sits there, but for a few of the files it actually opens up and plays the show. My computer isn't that crummy. :smith:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, I was just reminded that Julian is the worst character and he sucks. Maybe it was the crappy subs but it seemed like the during entire show he wass treated like a brilliant young prospective leader sure to become the successor to Yang for no discernible reason.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

reagan posted:

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the mkv files, but I just downloaded the show from the torrent listed a few pages back, and the first few files give me an error message. After that, VLC just opens most of the files and sits there, but for a few of the files it actually opens up and plays the show. My computer isn't that crummy. :smith:

Your computer might not be crummy, but VLC is. Of course, if it's simply not opening the files, I'm going to assume your downloads are corrupted rather than anything else.

eXXon posted:

Oh, I was just reminded that Julian is the worst character and he sucks. Maybe it was the crappy subs but it seemed like the during entire show he wass treated like a brilliant young prospective leader sure to become the successor to Yang for no discernible reason.

The subs aren't crappy, and he literally did exactly that, which seems like a pretty discernible reason to me.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

AzraelNewtype posted:

Your computer might not be crummy, but VLC is. Of course, if it's simply not opening the files, I'm going to assume your downloads are corrupted rather than anything else.

The subs aren't crappy, and he literally did exactly that, which seems like a pretty discernible reason to me.

What player is recommended for these particular files? It's the blu-ray upload found here:

http://bakabt.me/163344-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-ginga-eiyuu-densetsu-bd-h264-720p-10bit-aac.html

Should I try the DVD batch instead?

http://bakabt.me/161010-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-ginga-eiyuu-densetsu-dvd-ca.html

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Major spoilers for the end of the show the show goes out of its way to show that yang is wrong. Though the caveat above is probably more accurate (that terrorism cannot bring positive or progressive change). But yang is chatting nasty about them terraists, and then they kill him on his way to negotiate with Reinhard. Profound historical change.

The critical element is that, no, nothing positive has come out of terrorism in the last twelve years. Just death, and the squashing of rights in the name of security.

I don't think anything positive comes out from terrorism but I do think Yang is right in that terrorism by itself cannot change the path of history. I'd argue that from a macro perspective, the events that history is going to remember are going to be such things like the rise of China or launching a probe to Mars.

From the show I think Yang is aware that he'll have an enormous impact on history, which is why he doesn't want to support or launch a coup since it will set a bad precedent but even he knows that his actions only delay the inevitable such as the reunification of the Republic and the Empire

eXXon posted:

I liked Julian. Throughout the series, I think it was implicitly implied that he was just as competent as Yang and he knew that but he's a great character for me because he keeps serving after Yang's death despite knowing that society would always heavily criticise him and that history would never recognise him as it did Yang. Everyone recognises Alexander the Great or Genghis Khan but few people would have heard of Philip of Macedon or Odegei Khan who arguably accomplished more.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

http://cccp-project.net/

Apparently episodes 1-2 from this set are known busted, but since the second movie takes their place in the chronology it may not matter so much.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to legally acquire this show in Blu-Ray that wouldn't be a loving nightmare? Like, at all? I'm on Episode 49 and after watching Yang and Julian shoot the poo poo about what has happened so far I decided that this show needs to sit in my shelf along with all the other shows that I cherished enough to buy. I love this loving amazing show and I want to actually invest more time in it that I already have.

Also, my drawing skills are slowly returning to form. Soon we'll meet again, Colonel Von Schönkopf. :kimchi:

vvvv I do know Japanese, although when you say very expensive, it kinda scares me into thinking that's it gonna be something akin to Custom-made-Guitar expensive. :ohdear: How much more expensive than the average BD we're talking here? vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 27, 2013

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Is there a way to legally acquire this show in Blu-Ray that wouldn't be a loving nightmare? Like, at all? I'm on Episode 49 and after watching Yang and Julian shoot the poo poo about what has happened so far I decided that this show needs to sit in my shelf along with all the other shows that I cherished enough to buy. I love this loving amazing show and I want to actually invest more time in it that I already have.

Also, my drawing skills are slowly returning to form. Soon we'll meet again, Colonel Von Schönkopf. :kimchi:

The only legal way to get this show in Blu-Ray is to buy the expensive Japanese ver which does not have English subs. You are best just downloading from the torrent from the previous post.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Quality-wise the Blu-ray rips are just upscales, so I wouldn't feel too bad about "downgrading" to the DVD rips. I haven't bothered to download the BD versions myself.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Wark Say posted:

vvvv I do know Japanese, although when you say very expensive, it kinda scares me into thinking that's it gonna be something akin to Custom-made-Guitar expensive. :ohdear: How much more expensive than the average BD we're talking here? vvvv

Several thousand dollars for the entire set. Yeah.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wark Say posted:

As stated above, but yeah. I don't know about the blurays but I know at some point the whole series on DVD (mind you, just SERIES and not movie / prequels) were in the range of 3,000 dollars USD.

If it makes you happy you can buy a nice passport HDD that'll hold the whole bluray rip and put that on your shelf (and save about 2900 dollars).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The blu-ray boxes do contain the movies and prequels at least, and the four boxes total slightly under $2500, so it's not quite as dire as you're saying.

It's still pretty dire though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kegslayer posted:

I don't think anything positive comes out from terrorism but I do think Yang is right in that terrorism by itself cannot change the path of history. I'd argue that from a macro perspective, the events that history is going to remember are going to be such things like the rise of China or launching a probe to Mars.

From the show I think Yang is aware that he'll have an enormous impact on history, which is why he doesn't want to support or launch a coup since it will set a bad precedent but even he knows that his actions only delay the inevitable such as the reunification of the Republic and the Empire

I liked Julian. Throughout the series, I think it was implicitly implied that he was just as competent as Yang and he knew that but he's a great character for me because he keeps serving after Yang's death despite knowing that society would always heavily criticise him and that history would never recognise him as it did Yang. Everyone recognises Alexander the Great or Genghis Khan but few people would have heard of Philip of Macedon or Odegei Khan who arguably accomplished more.
Agree with all of this. I also feel that he represents what Yang was talking about in regard to the flow of history and the power of the cause over isolated terrorism and individual atrocity - he carried on where Yang left off because he believed in the same things and wanted to continue the work. One of my favourite moments in the series was Julian's reaction to Yang's death - a character who's been completely inoffensive throughout the series turns into a beast in grief and rage..

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Agree with all of this. I also feel that he represents what Yang was talking about in regard to the flow of history and the power of the cause over isolated terrorism and individual atrocity - he carried on where Yang left off because he believed in the same things and wanted to continue the work. One of my favourite moments in the series was Julian's reaction to Yang's death - a character who's been completely inoffensive throughout the series turns into a beast in grief and rage..

As fitting for an honourary member of the Rosen Ritters. :black101:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

In the proud tradition where every good fleet commander (except Yang) is also an axe-wielding badass, crack shot and probably a fighter pilot Ace in their spare time.

Or maybe that was more the Gaidens making even Reinhard into some bloodthirsty ice-warrior, only slightly below Kircheis in killing potential (otherwise the perfect Augustus & Agrippa duo).

It's both :black101: and :iiam: at the same time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

In the proud tradition where every good fleet commander (except Yang) is also an axe-wielding badass, crack shot and probably a fighter pilot Ace in their spare time.

Or maybe that was more the Gaidens making even Reinhard into some bloodthirsty ice-warrior, only slightly below Kircheis in killing potential (otherwise the perfect Augustus & Agrippa duo).

Julian flew a Spartanian, but didn't seem particularly good at it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed with Rambo Reinhard in the prequels because in the series he isn't like that at all. isn't the only time he gets physical in the entire series in the flashback where he hits that noble in the head with a stick when he's got his back turned? I also don't like that they act like husband and wife in the prequels either, but at least Siegfried is the Daddy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The prequels are like the young adult novelization of what they did Before the series. It's not very good but occasionally interesting.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Madurai posted:

Julian flew a Spartanian, but didn't seem particularly good at it.

Dude shoots down like 3 fighters and a cruiser in his first outing, which seems pretty loving good. Like yeah, he's no Poplin, but then again: Who is?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Dude shoots down like 3 fighters and a cruiser in his first outing, which seems pretty loving good. Like yeah, he's no Poplin, but then again: Who is?

I did not remember that. Clearly, this calls for me re-watching the whole series.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I think he does that at the start of season 2, but watch the whole thing again anyway.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

DamnGlitch posted:

As stated above, but yeah. I don't know about the blurays but I know at some point the whole series on DVD (mind you, just SERIES and not movie / prequels) were in the range of 3,000 dollars USD.

If it makes you happy you can buy a nice passport HDD that'll hold the whole bluray rip and put that on your shelf (and save about 2900 dollars).

If he wants to learn French I seem to remember there being a French blu ray set for around 200 dollars or so.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Quick question getting into this and loving it.

But according to the op these are prequels:

(Optional Prequels)
Gaiden 1 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 2 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 3 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 4 - 12 Episodes
Spiral Labyrinth - 14 Episodes
Mutineer - 4 Episodes
The Duelist - 4 Episodes
Retriever - 4 Episodes
3rd Battle of Tiamat - 2 Episodes

Shouldn't i watch that before the main series?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

UberJumper posted:

Quick question getting into this and loving it.

But according to the op these are prequels:

(Optional Prequels)
Gaiden 1 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 2 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 3 - 4 Episodes
Gaiden 4 - 12 Episodes
Spiral Labyrinth - 14 Episodes
Mutineer - 4 Episodes
The Duelist - 4 Episodes
Retriever - 4 Episodes
3rd Battle of Tiamat - 2 Episodes

Shouldn't i watch that before the main series?
No, because they are significantly worse then the main series. They also assume that you are somewhat familiar with the setting and the characters.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
The only prequel sort of thing you should be watching is the "My Conquest is the Sea of stars" movie. The prequel OVA's were made after the main series' run and are not really referenced at all. You'll also be dealing with different levels of animation, whereas the main series is pretty nicely consistent.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I got a friend of mine onto this show, and I had him go back and watch the prequels (in chronological, not broadcast order) right after ...the end of season 2? Where Reinhard is crowned as Kaiser, and there's a nice natural breakpoint.
Because I always felt that watching the gaiden last was kind of a let down, since as has been noted they simply aren't as good as the main show.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Iserlohn posted:

The only prequel sort of thing you should be watching is the "My Conquest is the Sea of stars" movie. The prequel OVA's were made after the main series' run and are not really referenced at all. You'll also be dealing with different levels of animation, whereas the main series is pretty nicely consistent.

It's not a prequel. It's actually the start of the show. Being as it was released a full year before the first volume of the OVA. It introduces the setting and some of the characters.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Thanks, is there a list of character names with their portraits? I am having some problems remembering who is who unfortunately (i spent a good chunk of the first movie thinking the other character was yang). The wiki's have a ton of spoilers, which kind of ruins it.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

UberJumper posted:

Thanks, is there a list of character names with their portraits? I am having some problems remembering who is who unfortunately (i spent a good chunk of the first movie thinking the other character was yang). The wiki's have a ton of spoilers, which kind of ruins it.

The size of that would be absolutely huge. You don't need to know everyone by name, just be aware of the major players. They'll keep popping up the name/titles for a long time.

You'll learn to identify them in time. Just remember Yang and Dusty are two different characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

UberJumper posted:

I do have these handy for whatever reason:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Go RV! posted:

The size of that would be absolutely huge. You don't need to know everyone by name, just be aware of the major players. They'll keep popping up the name/titles for a long time.

You'll learn to identify them in time. Just remember Yang and Dusty are two different characters.

Yeah i have been doing that, i just kind of like to put a face to a name. :downs:

Nate RFB posted:

I do have these handy for whatever reason:

That is perfect thank you.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy

How could you possibly forget about Rai???

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Where would we slot Merkatz in these pics? Also, anyone else think he looks like Charles Bronson.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Iserlohn posted:

How could you possibly forget about Rai???

Or Buckock and Trung Yu-Chang. Marr-Adetta never forget :911:

That battle was Yang-worthy and the Empire only really avoided disaster due to their absolutely crushing numerical advantage.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Quick question do the other people (ie non main character types) get smarter in the series instead of being blindly and somehow criminally retarded? I watched up to episode 16 but it seems every one-off or somewhat important character is so retarded it breaks my immersion.

EDIT: Like trying to attack iserlohn after losing it; the loving fort that annihilated 6 or 7 alliance fleets. The food riots on the occupied planets, like seriously people need food and looting = riots

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Quick question do the other people (ie non main character types) get smarter in the series instead of being blindly and somehow criminally retarded? I watched up to episode 16 but it seems every one-off or somewhat important character is so retarded it breaks my immersion.

EDIT: Like trying to attack iserlohn after losing it; the loving fort that annihilated 6 or 7 alliance fleets. The food riots on the occupied planets, like seriously people need food and looting = riots

Short version: Yes.

Slightly spoilery longer version: The majority of the incompetent admirals get killed because they're idiots.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
To be fair, most of the military leadership being criminally incompetent has a pretty solid historical precedent! :v:

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Pornographic Memory posted:

Or Buckock and Trung Yu-Chang. Marr-Adetta never forget :911:

That battle was Yang-worthy and the Empire only really avoided disaster due to their absolutely crushing numerical advantage.

I loving love Admiral Trung Yu-Chang. "Sorry I'm late for the war council. Don't mind me, I'll just be eating this bag full of sandwiches."