Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

Is model master acrylic ok? Did I actually need the specific model-master acrylic thinner?

A caveat to that is model-master acrylic needs a acrylic paint retarder if painting through an airbrush (art supply stores will have these.) If you don't use this, it will dry inside your airbrush and clog everything up, and then you have to disassemble it and it is a huge pain

I've used 99% iso alcohol with Tamiya and had no problems. Also, if you are airbrushing with Vallejo, that stuff actually *does* need its branded thinner.

If it's oil based: mineral spirits from the hardware store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

If it's oil based: mineral spirits from the hardware store.

No, don't use mineral spirits as a thinner for enamel colors. Mineral spirits is a cleaning agent, it actually destroys the paint and will damage the brush (regular, bristles) if you use it as a thinner overtime. While you can get by with water or alcohol for acrylic paints, for enamel paints you need an enamel thinner, though usually it doesn't matter which specific brand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenDragon42 posted:

No, don't use mineral spirits as a thinner for enamel colors. Mineral spirits is a cleaning agent, it actually destroys the paint and will damage the brush (regular, bristles) if you use it as a thinner overtime. While you can get by with water or alcohol for acrylic paints, for enamel paints you need an enamel thinner, though usually it doesn't matter which specific brand.

You do realize several companies sell mineral spirits for the express purpose of thinning enamels and oils, yes?

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You do realize several companies sell mineral spirits for the express purpose of thinning enamels and oils, yes?

No, I didn't, but that's still wrong. Using mineral spirits may look like it's thinning the paint, but that's because it's breaking the paint so there's less actual paint in the medium.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also, if you are airbrushing with Vallejo, that stuff actually *does* need its branded thinner.

Yesterday I was going to airbrush Vallejo primer which usually dries on the needle pretty quick. So a couple of months back I mixed primer with Vallejo thinner in a bottle so that I would have easier access.
This mix worked well for a couple of months, but yesterday it had gone really thick. Thicker than the original even. Anyone know why?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Dude was really adamant about using the specific brand's thinner and to never use water or iso.

Nebakenezzer posted:

A caveat to that is model-master acrylic needs a acrylic paint retarder if painting through an airbrush (art supply stores will have these.) If you don't use this, it will dry inside your airbrush and clog everything up, and then you have to disassemble it and it is a huge pain

I've used 99% iso alcohol with Tamiya and had no problems. Also, if you are airbrushing with Vallejo, that stuff actually *does* need its branded thinner.

The only time Vallejo thinner makes an actual difference is when 1. you need to thin something pretty hard for airbrushing, and 2. for matt varnish, which is a tricky beast anyway so everyone recommends Testor/Model Master.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Will the model-master thinner I bought do this?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

Will the model-master thinner I bought do this?

Good question; unfortunately I've never used their acrylic thinner.

GreenDragon42 posted:

No, I didn't, but that's still wrong. Using mineral spirits may look like it's thinning the paint, but that's because it's breaking the paint so there's less actual paint in the medium.

OK, dumb question: assuming this is true, is there stuff at the hardware store that I can substitute?

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, dumb question: assuming this is true, is there stuff at the hardware store that I can substitute?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think so, unless you can find something that says that it's an enamel thinner.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenDragon42 posted:

Uh... what did you think you were thinning it to do man?

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

So I did some reading, and I gotta admit I was surprised to find out that thinners were based on mineral spirits. I guess I always thought that the thinner was doing something to the viscosity of the paint, rather than just breaking it down. Which would explain why you can't get back paint that has been over thinned by letting it evaporate.
I guess I'd edit my earlier statement to say "Use preferably the manufacturer thinner, but plain mineral spirits might work as well".

I've got another question though:
How can I keep the paint in airbrush bottles from drying in an easy way?
I've got the bottles with a pipe that plugs into the airbrush directly, and when I'm done with the spray session, I cover the pin hole in the cap and the pipe with masking tape, which seems to be working just fine, but it's very cumbersome to do it every time.
Is there some easy trick or some product that can do this easily?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

With Vallejo paints, water and their thinner medium actually give different results to the paint. With water the paint gets more fluid, but the color intensity stays strong. If you thin the paint with their thinner, the color gets much more translucent compared to water thinned paint.

edit; seems like I misremembered. It's the Glaze Medium that does this, and not the Thinner Medium.

Some content; this is a diorama I've been working on for quite some time now. It's the AFV Club 251/9 with GreatWall Hobby engine, Tamiya's Kübelwagen, and figures by Tamiya, Dragon, MiniArt and MasterBox. The setting is a rural road in the southern Netherlands in September 1944 during Market Garden. These troops are part of Kampfgruppe Walther, an ad-hoc unit of Heer, Luftwaffe, Fallschirmjager and Kriegsmarine personnel that attacked the eastern flank of the Hells Highway.
I'd like to know what you guys think of the layout and if you can guess what the story of the scene is.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 6, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

"Does that driver know his passenger lost his head?"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

"Does that driver know his passenger lost his head?"
War is hell.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I just finished a 1/35 Italeri Ostwind. I've never done a 1/35 kit before and I really liked it. I got the kit for $2 at a scale model club swap meet a couple years ago. The kit came with a crew and but I didn't want to leave them panzer uniform black so I went with regular feldgrau. The tanks were optional so I decided to make a little refueling scene.

http://imgur.com/a/jHKLv

Next project is a 1/350 Italian cruiser Zara. I've always wanted to try the red and white deck stripes they did.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I bought a Tamiya 1:35th Panther Ausf G, and decided to put some Zimmerit on it. Buying aftermarket kits is for suckers, so I decided to do it myself with some putty. It's looking pretty sweet while drying, hopefully it looks just as good when painted. Decals are going to be a bitch, though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Guys, GUYS! A kitten. Gotta' stop the blitzkrieg, it's in the manual.".

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Arquinsiel posted:

"Guys, GUYS! A kitten. Gotta' stop the blitzkrieg, it's in the manual.".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I forgot about that one. I was thinking of this old demotivator meme.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So a project I was working on just got ruined because I used CA glue to do my glazing. It was fine all day but when I looked at it this morning the glazing had horribly fogged over in patches. I'm reading now CA releases fumes which does this to most glazing...

I'm also reading they recomend PVA glue, which apparently is just "white glue". But now I'm reading there's tons of types of white glue and not all are PVA. Oh god thread help me, what's a good fast-grabbing glue that I can use to glue paper to glazing and glazing to plastic that won't fog my glass and grabs and dries reasonably fast.

I've used "canopy glue" in the past but the dying time killed me. That poo poo didn't even start to grab for like 30 min.

This perfect glazing, hours of work, almost totally ruined :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Speaking of nigh-complete disasters, I was all set for final assembly of the Camaro that I've been working on and upon attempting to join body to chassis (my favorite part), I managed to pretty much dismantle the interior completely. Luckily, it can all be re-glued, but I only wonder if it will do the same thing tonight when I reattempt it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Baronjutter posted:

So a project I was working on just got ruined because I used CA glue to do my glazing. It was fine all day but when I looked at it this morning the glazing had horribly fogged over in patches. I'm reading now CA releases fumes which does this to most glazing...

I'm also reading they recomend PVA glue, which apparently is just "white glue". But now I'm reading there's tons of types of white glue and not all are PVA. Oh god thread help me, what's a good fast-grabbing glue that I can use to glue paper to glazing and glazing to plastic that won't fog my glass and grabs and dries reasonably fast.

I've used "canopy glue" in the past but the dying time killed me. That poo poo didn't even start to grab for like 30 min.

This perfect glazing, hours of work, almost totally ruined :(

Try a gloss varnish over the affected glazing. It might fix things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So peel the windows off, brush on some fututure, and hope it fixes thing? the CA fumes reacted with the plastic glazing and turned spots totally opaque and has seemed specially attracted to finger prints, seemingly etching them into the glass :( I'll give it a try but I'm not expecting it to help.

What glue SHOULD I have used? Sites keep saying to use other "canopy glue" or "PVA". I can't seem to find PVA anywhere as no white glue tells me if it's PVA or not, and some are not. I tried canopy glue once. The first time I used it it was like water, had no grab and took forever to dry. The next time I used it it was a white-glue like sludge that grabbed but dried white and was horrible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're in yankland I believe the easiest PVA to find is "Elmer's". Otherwise it's the same white gloop you were using as a kid to stick lovely pictures together.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arquinsiel posted:

If you're in yankland I believe the easiest PVA to find is "Elmer's". Otherwise it's the same white gloop you were using as a kid to stick lovely pictures together.

At the small office supply place I went to there were like 4 types of elmers white glue and a ton of other elmers stuff. School glue, craft, household, something all acid-free and marketed for photos. Sticks, sprays, brush on stuff. None said if they were PVA based or not.

I asked the lady there and she said all the white glue would just harden and fall off plastic. I know I tried using my carpenters glue to glue some paper signs onto a building and within a week they had all fallen off on their own.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 8, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In my teens I was amused to discover that my crappy school PVA I bought for toy mans was the same stuff as my dad's wood glue, the "cement sealant" and a few other things lying around in the shed. He was not, since he had paid a hell of a lot more by volume for his.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I kinda want to do some scale modelling, since it was fun when I was a kid and painting miniature barbarians for D&D is something I do semi-regularly. The last models I built were warhammer things 8-10 years ago.

I'd like to make a world war 2 warship ship of some sort, preferably not a battleship or carrier to start with. I was thinking of Flower-class corvettes, but I guess there's only one fairly large-scale model available and I wanted something that will end up smaller.

Is 1/700 a good scale to build warships in if I later want to build more in the same scale? That and 1/600 seem to be common, as does 1/350 but that's a little too large for me.

Would any of these kits be a good idea to get back into this stuff with, or am I letting myself in for trouble?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-M...=item5658661f64

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dragon-M...=item1c260c2ea3

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/trumpeter/tr-05789

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 9, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ding! I use this for windshield/other windows with my cars. As long as you get a solid line, it will hold well and dry clear without fogging your plastic. CA glue will fog transparent plastic every time, but this has worked very well for me.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

AlphaDog posted:

I kinda want to do some scale modelling, since it was fun when I was a kid and painting miniature barbarians for D&D is something I do semi-regularly. The last models I built were warhammer things 8-10 years ago.

I'd like to make a world war 2 warship ship of some sort, preferably not a battleship or carrier to start with. I was thinking of Flower-class corvettes, but I guess there's only one fairly large-scale model available and I wanted something that will end up smaller.

Is 1/700 a good scale to build warships in if I later want to build more in the same scale? That and 1/600 seem to be common, as does 1/350 but that's a little too large for me.

Would any of these kits be a good idea to get back into this stuff with, or am I letting myself in for trouble?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-M...=item5658661f64

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dragon-M...=item1c260c2ea3

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/trumpeter/tr-05789

Those kits should be fine; they are all from good manufacturers. 1/700 and 1/350 are the two most common ship scales, and 1/700 in particular you get get just about everything.

Also, color me surprised that the Germans actually had destroyers in 1944.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Not only destroyers!. Several pre- ww1 Deutschland class battleships were in the kriegsmarine for training and light combat duties. All were sunk by the end of 1944 but this one sunk in such shallow waters that its crew were able to use its guns to defend the port they had sunk in from the soviets. The soviets after the war refloated her and used it as a target ship.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Those kits should be fine; they are all from good manufacturers. 1/700 and 1/350 are the two most common ship scales, and 1/700 in particular you get get just about everything.

Also, color me surprised that the Germans actually had destroyers in 1944.

Thanks. Guess I'll go 1/700 then 1/350 is going to produce giant-rear end battleships that I don't have space for.

Germany had heaps of different ships in ww2, you just mostly hear about Bismarck, Graf Spee, and u-boats (and Tirpitz if the dambusters come up).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Found in later '50s Life:

Also from old Life, just for EE

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also from old Life, just for EE

That's a PzIII, not a PzIV like the caption suggests. It's not very obvious in the first photo, but you can clearly see the 6 road wheels in the second one. Interesting photos, though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also not Tommyguns, but hey.

I love the old ads, because of the "anorak" thing with model shops here you can occasionally find an old Airfix kit that's been sitting there for decades with a half dozen or so incremental price increases on the stickers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Having read through world war 2 from the perspective of Life I can tell you that minor mis-identifications are pretty common. I think somewhere in their Normandy coverage they identify a front-on Mk.IV Panzer as a Tiger, for example.

Model note: I'm diggin' the tracks on the Mk. III filled with dry mud and grass, and vaguely wonder if there's a technique I can do to capture it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nebakenezzer posted:

Having read through world war 2 from the perspective of Life I can tell you that minor mis-identifications are pretty common. I think somewhere in their Normandy coverage they identify a front-on Mk.IV Panzer as a Tiger, for example.

Model note: I'm diggin' the tracks on the Mk. III filled with dry mud and grass, and vaguely wonder if there's a technique I can do to capture it.

Reading contemporary allied accounts from the West after D-Day, one might be convinced that every German tank was a Tiger.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nebakenezzer posted:

In a nutshell, plaster, paint, various grades of sand, and dried, thin gauge grass clippings. Of course, there are a billion and one custom products out there for recreating grass and mud, but you can recreate the effect with fairly basic materials.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finished my Tamiya Panther Ausf. G. Since it's mid-to-late war German, that means two things: awesome looking camo, and awesome looking Zimmerit texture!

It also came with one crewman figure. Kind of disappointing, since other Tamiya kits come with several, and they can actually fit into the tank. This one can only stand next to it.

Or on top of it, I guess.

The Zimmerit was my own improvisation, made with Tamiya putty and a screwdriver. I put a lot of effort into the upper front plate and the gun mantlet, but the skirts, turret sides, and lower front plate were just flat layers on which I scratched perpendicular lines. Those ones ended up looking better, somehow. Oh well, live and learn.

I also learned that you should put on the Zimmerit before gluing on accessories, not after. The sides of the tank and rear of the turret are regrettably bare.

Overall, a pretty sweet kit, especially since I got it with a steel barrel for $20. It was marked as half-done, but the only parts that were finished were the torsion bars (thank god, those are annoying as hell) and some of the turret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished my Tamiya Panther Ausf. G. Since it's mid-to-late war German, that means two things: awesome looking camo, and awesome looking Zimmerit texture!

It also came with one crewman figure. Kind of disappointing, since other Tamiya kits come with several, and they can actually fit into the tank. This one can only stand next to it.

Or on top of it, I guess.

The Zimmerit was my own improvisation, made with Tamiya putty and a screwdriver. I put a lot of effort into the upper front plate and the gun mantlet, but the skirts, turret sides, and lower front plate were just flat layers on which I scratched perpendicular lines. Those ones ended up looking better, somehow. Oh well, live and learn.

I also learned that you should put on the Zimmerit before gluing on accessories, not after. The sides of the tank and rear of the turret are regrettably bare.

Overall, a pretty sweet kit, especially since I got it with a steel barrel for $20. It was marked as half-done, but the only parts that were finished were the torsion bars (thank god, those are annoying as hell) and some of the turret.

Looks good! Nice experimentation with homemade Zimmerit. I also dig the weathering. Not too overdone, which I feel can make a model look gaudy and unrealistic.