Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I stayed at a hostel above a pub near Paddington and that was a fine location for frolicking about. Think I paid 20 quid per night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I'm thinking for my next trip I want to hit up the UK and Ireland. Is it fairly easy to get around? Or are both countries completely different when it comes to the transportation links they provide?

Also, is it just me or are the Mosquitos in Europe different from the ones in the US and Canada. Cause these bites are rediulous.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It might not be quite as clean or prompt as say Japan, but our (UK) public transport is reasonable. It'll become harder work if you want to visit rural attractions, but between the rail network and bus services, I'd have no worries about getting around.

There are over 3,500 species of mosquitoes.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks. I got some insane Mosquito bites on my hand since Italy and they don't seem to want to go away.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kolta posted:

I'm thinking for my next trip I want to hit up the UK and Ireland. Is it fairly easy to get around? Or are both countries completely different when it comes to the transportation links they provide?

Also, is it just me or are the Mosquitos in Europe different from the ones in the US and Canada. Cause these bites are rediulous.

Ireland's aaaalright I suppose - here's the rail network's website http://www.irishrail.ie/ (they handle the intercity routes and the Dublin suburban rail service - aka the DART). The buses are run by http://www.dublinbus.ie/ (Dublin and surrounding area) and http://www.buseireann.ie/ (cross-country network).

FYI buses usually work out a lot cheaper than the train and are not much slower.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks! Very helpful!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Waaaahhahahaaaaaa, incredibly excited for my trip which starts a week today. Starting in Amsterdam, then Berlin, Hamburg and Prague, night train to Venice, then Rome with a night or two in Sorrento, and finishing in Barcelona. Got 22 days to do this and I can't wait, never been so excited. Going alone, and the plan is very much subject to change. There's a moderately good chance I'll end up going east at Prague/Berlin and possibly ending in Istanbul instead, depending on how money's going and how I fancy it. Anyway, this plan seem okay? Any recommendations for hidden gems in any of these places? I'm interested in pretty much anything. History, art, food, and just generally absorbing the various cultures in such a woefully short time.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I have a friend that went to Istanbul. He got tear gassed and ended up on the local newspaper back home. Overall he liked his experience.

All I can say is try to enjoy your time and stay flexible. I find when you have a short amount of time and many places to visit it's better to be flexible.

E: Also befriend locals. We got a home cooked Italian meal and 2L of wine for free and made friends while we were at it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah that'd be the best, I'm very much up for making new friends and being flexible. One question I have is about Munich, and generally if it's good? It fits well with travel plans as far as making best use of night trains goes, but I don't know if it's actually a place worth staying in? I know almost nothing about it actually.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

WaryWarren posted:

I remember arriving at the visitor center around 9:30 and seeing people being separated by language, waiting for the first (10 AM) tour of the day. Our tour guide, funny old Polish lady, led us on a bus over the Auschwitz II and gave us a whirlwind tour of the larger camp as well (tour of I was quite brief too, unfortunately). When our tour was over, I stayed at II for a few hours on my own. I was able to better experience the camp without being prodded around with disgusting, boorish, middle aged British men during their stag party.

I agree about Krakow's underratedness as well. Kazimierz, the Jewish Quarter, is also worth seeing. I was able to find the Jewish orphanage that my great-grandparents lived in before being adopted by Polish Catholics. The food is top notch (stuffed Goose necks) and so cheap. I also recommend doing laundry at the Frania Cafe. Laundry facilities are in the back with a nice cafe in the front. The employees were attractive young ladies insistent on giving me the student discount. Le sigh.

Actually what is with all the British people there on parties? I saw a Hen party at the Salt Mines, a group of fat Brits at Auschwitz, and another Hen party in the Old Town.

Dammit, why didn't you tell me about the hot ladies at the laundromat... Could have used that after I stained my shirt with goulash!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'll probably be going to be going to Italy (Pisa) for a work conference in early October. The conference is for a week (during the workweek), so I'll have to be in Pisa for then. I have some flexibility with regard to when I arrive and depart, but I'd like to keep it to about 4 days (plus or minus a day) outside of the conference. Anyone have a good idea for a broad itinerary during then? Would Rome be the way to go? This will be my first time in Europe (if you don't count Israel).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

drainpipe posted:

going to Italy (Pisa) for a week. This will be my first time in Europe.

I'm sorry.

drainpipe posted:

Would Rome be the way to go?

4 days is not enough for Rome, but I would probably go to Rome and do as much as I could in those 4 days if I were in your position. That seems a better use of time to me than spending 4 days in, say, Venice, or trying to fit two places in with the requisite travel between them.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

drainpipe posted:

I'll probably be going to be going to Italy (Pisa) for a work conference in early October. The conference is for a week (during the workweek), so I'll have to be in Pisa for then. I have some flexibility with regard to when I arrive and depart, but I'd like to keep it to about 4 days (plus or minus a day) outside of the conference. Anyone have a good idea for a broad itinerary during then? Would Rome be the way to go? This will be my first time in Europe (if you don't count Israel).

"This will be my first time in the US (if you don't count Venezuela)."

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Actually what is with all the British people there on parties? I saw a Hen party at the Salt Mines, a group of fat Brits at Auschwitz, and another Hen party in the Old Town.

Dammit, why didn't you tell me about the hot ladies at the laundromat... Could have used that after I stained my shirt with goulash!

Easyjet fly to Krakow = stag/hen parties

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I was in hamburg last weekend. The number of stag/hen parties was off the charts. Yes, we all know that one of you is getting married, now gently caress off and leave us alone. I'm not buying a shot/condome/candy/whatever from 40 different groups of costumed idiots.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I live right next to a pedestrian zone that has these clowns milling about every loving weekend. poo poo gets old fast.

Jakabite posted:

Yeah that'd be the best, I'm very much up for making new friends and being flexible. One question I have is about Munich, and generally if it's good? It fits well with travel plans as far as making best use of night trains goes, but I don't know if it's actually a place worth staying in? I know almost nothing about it actually.

Munich is cool, stay a day or two. Better food than in the northern half of Germany imo. What would also probably work for your schedule is Vienna, also a nice city!

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
I'm going to be taking an intensive masters program at the University of Malta until October of next year and I'm still trying to get everything sorted out with only two months to departure. While I could happily dump a bunch of questions on you guys, I think I'll stick to some more pressing ones at the moment.

I'm currently in the process of filling out a Schengen Visa and am becoming extremely confused as to what exactly this entitles me to and what I'm already entitled to without it. According to the Maltese gov't, my being from the US allows me to enter Malta without issue as long as the stay is shorter than 3 months. Upon arrival, I am required to get a chest x-ray in order to receive a residency permit. Does this residency permit override my visa needs for a year? If so, does going this route restrict me from traveling anywhere else in the Schengen area? I have family I wish to visit in Sicily and Northern Italy (and, if at all possible, visit Germany and Denmark).

If I do need to fill out my Schengen visa, are there any areas I should keep an eye out for? I'm noticing its asking some oddly specific questions like how many days I intend to stay or states of destination. Should I just ballpark theses? The program is not specific on a drop dead date to leave and I haven't lined up flights yet to know just how many days I intend to stay in the Schengen Visa.

Also, the visa asks for recent passport photos. I have a US sized sheet prepared, but should I be meeting a certain Schengen standard? I've looked around and haven't found any info on this.

I apologize, I've got a hell of a lot I'd like to pick your brains about, but I don't have the time to shove it all into one post, but, like I said, taking care of this visa is the most pressing currently.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

elbkaida posted:

Munich is cool, stay a day or two. Better food than in the northern half of Germany imo. What would also probably work for your schedule is Vienna, also a nice city!

Yeah, was considering Vienna as well, although it seems like it'll be quite expensive?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Chips Challenged posted:

I'm going to be taking an intensive masters program at the University of Malta until October of next year and I'm still trying to get everything sorted out with only two months to departure. While I could happily dump a bunch of questions on you guys, I think I'll stick to some more pressing ones at the moment.

I'm currently in the process of filling out a Schengen Visa and am becoming extremely confused as to what exactly this entitles me to and what I'm already entitled to without it. According to the Maltese gov't, my being from the US allows me to enter Malta without issue as long as the stay is shorter than 3 months. Upon arrival, I am required to get a chest x-ray in order to receive a residency permit. Does this residency permit override my visa needs for a year? If so, does going this route restrict me from traveling anywhere else in the Schengen area? I have family I wish to visit in Sicily and Northern Italy (and, if at all possible, visit Germany and Denmark).

If I do need to fill out my Schengen visa, are there any areas I should keep an eye out for? I'm noticing its asking some oddly specific questions like how many days I intend to stay or states of destination. Should I just ballpark theses? The program is not specific on a drop dead date to leave and I haven't lined up flights yet to know just how many days I intend to stay in the Schengen Visa.

Also, the visa asks for recent passport photos. I have a US sized sheet prepared, but should I be meeting a certain Schengen standard? I've looked around and haven't found any info on this.

I apologize, I've got a hell of a lot I'd like to pick your brains about, but I don't have the time to shove it all into one post, but, like I said, taking care of this visa is the most pressing currently.

Entry rules for US citizens allow you to stay within the Schengen Zone for up to three months, in addition to whatever other visas you get from individual governments. Basically if you have a Maltese residence visa, then any time you spend in Malta doesn't count against your three months. It's less complicated than it seems at first glance.

Passport photos in the EU are 3.5x4.5 cm, the US uses 2x2" ones. You might need to have new ones made.

Chips Challenged
Jun 26, 2012

Bummer.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to retake the passport pics to those standards just in case. But I just dug up this from Malta's Ministry of Foreign Affairs that's been sitting in the back of my mind:

quote:

Residence Permits

On the basis of the Schengen Convention, now integrated in the EU framework, a valid residence permit from a Schengen State, together with a travel document, can substitute for a visa. Thus a third-country national presenting his/her passport and a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen Member State can be allowed to enter another Schengen Member State for a short-stay without needing a visa. This equivalence does not apply to residence permits issued by the United Kingdom and Ireland, since they do not apply the Schengen acquis.

http://www.mfa.gov.mt/Default.aspx?MDIS=534

Has anyone ever dealt with a circumstance like this? I intend to call up the embassy tomorrow to see if just receiving the residency permit and carrying my passport will suffice for traveling internationally through the Schengen region.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chips Challenged posted:

Has anyone ever dealt with a circumstance like this? I intend to call up the embassy tomorrow to see if just receiving the residency permit and carrying my passport will suffice for traveling internationally through the Schengen region.

Yes, I've dealt with this, and you're making this overly complicated. As a US citizen it won't matter at all. You just take your passport when you travel to another Schengen country. Since you're going to be in Malta, and thus you'll have to take an international boat or flight anywhere, you can't even leave the island without taking your passport. Note that the residency permit CANNOT be used in lieu of a passport for traveling to other countries. You have to carry both (or, in a pinch, just your passport, but technically you should carry both).

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

In paris for 4 days with a girl who will probably be my girlfriend pretty soon. Asked her out on our first real date and I wanna take her out to dinner and then do something else romantic. Help me with some ideas/places pleaseeee :)

My budget is definitley less then 200 euro but thats on the high end.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
I don't know about the romantic part, but tomorrow will be our national holiday so there should be plenty of people partying in the streets and there'll be fireworks at the Champ de Mars (gardens below the Eiffel Tower) around 11:30 PM.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Yeah, I heard. We're definitley going. Thanks for the help though!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cross post from the Android App thread: anyone use an offline map app in Europe and want to share their experiences? There are like a million apps that use OpenStreetMap data, wondering if anyone has any recs before I just start trying them. I'll be driving in BiH and Croatia.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I used city maps 2go on a recent trip where google maps caching was not available and it was totally useless. To the point where i gave up and just started using my Tom Tom navigation app.
edit: If you are going to drive and don't mind spending a little money Tom Tom is pretty nice. edit2: No Bosnia coverage with TomTom.

I am also interested in a offline maps app that does not totally suck (alternatively the European Commission can hurry up and unify the telecom market already).

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 14, 2013

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

I used city maps 2go on a recent trip where google maps caching was not available and it was totally useless. To the point where i gave up and just started using my Tom Tom navigation app.
edit: If you are going to drive and don't mind spending a little money Tom Tom is pretty nice. edit2: No Bosnia coverage with TomTom.

I am also interested in a offline maps app that does not totally suck (alternatively the European Commission can hurry up and unify the telecom market already).

Navigon is pretty lovely but it works acceptably and it has all of Europe except for Ukraine and Moldova

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If I am invited to dinner at a Dutch persons house what should I bring?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Kolta posted:

Maybe you just aren't used to them? I'm European and i get bumps and itches from mosquitoes only during the start of the mosquito season, then after a week i hardly get any itching and bumps for the rest of the summer/autumn because my body gets "immune" to the components in mosquito saliva that create the reaction.

I'm guessing, but couldn't it simply be that European mosquitoes are new to you and that's why you react so strongly to them? Because i don't think European mosquitoes are any nastier than North American ones (even less so from a disease perspective, for now).

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Goodpancakes posted:

If I am invited to dinner at a Dutch persons house what should I bring?

A bottle of wine, as is the case pretty much everywhere.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

So no romatic restaurant ideas? :(

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

spacebrospiff posted:

So no romatic restaurant ideas? :(

Depending on the type of people you both are, maybe a nice option would be for you to sneak off to a grocery store and stock up on bread, meats, fruits, cheeses, spreads, pastries, and wine. You'll also need something to carry it all. Don't forget about glasses for the wine and some cutlery. Find a nice spot to have a slow late afternoon picnic. Are you allowed to do this in the gardens of Versailles? Maybe the gardens that lead up to the Louvre pyramid. The steps at Sacre Couer? I'd say somewhere along the seine but from what I remember that's mostly for homeless encampments. Maybe there are some nice lawns overlooking the river somewhere.

Any restaurant you go to that isn't some kind of cheap fast food will be romantic if you make it romantic.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Jardin the Luxembourg is a really nice picknick place. Many sandwich, cheese, pastry and bread shops in the vicinity of the park can provide some plastic trays and cuttelery if you ask them nicely.

e; Borrow your wine glasses from the hotel

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 15, 2013

militarygrade
Apr 7, 2011
Me and the girlfriend are off to spend about 4 days in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. We're 22 year old students who like food and drinking. I've had a read of a guidebook, and have a good rough idea of stuff to do, but thought I might as well ask fellow goons if they have any specific tips or spots that are more under the radar. Thanks.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

militarygrade posted:

Me and the girlfriend are off to spend about 4 days in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. We're 22 year old students who like food and drinking. I've had a read of a guidebook, and have a good rough idea of stuff to do, but thought I might as well ask fellow goons if they have any specific tips or spots that are more under the radar. Thanks.

Main tip is go out into the countryside, really. Bohinj, Bled etc are gorgeous. in the Northwest were my favourite bits. But you'll find plenty of excellent food for very little money in Ljubljane as well.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Okay, goons, I've read 80+ pages of this thread, and have picked up some great tips. Thanks for that.
I now have a logistical passport question.

I'm hoping to go to Europe for 3.5 months this Christmas (early November to mid-February, around 110 days).

I'm a dual Australian/British citizen; I only have an Australian passport. I'm in the process of applying for my British passport, but it's taking much longer than anticipated, and I'm not positive that it will be here by the time I'm ready to leave.

If I go to Europe on my Australian passport, then have my dad mail me my UK passport when it arrives (I'll be staying in 1 place in Europe, so I'll have a postal address), could I then stay in Europe longer than the 90 days my Australian passport allows (and leave on my UK passport) ? Or would I have to leave the Schengen area on my Australian passport, and re-enter on my UK passport ?

Any help will be great, thanks.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ideally you'd head to the UK with your Australian passport to get your UK passport (and get the Schengen exit stamp), then re-enter Schengen on your UK passport.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I agree with the post above, as a dual citizen myself, I have to say you really want to be careful that you don't do stuff like that. Always make sure you enter and leave countries (or visa zones) on the same passport, or you might end up finding yourself accidentally banned from places in the future.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Jeoh posted:

Ideally you'd head to the UK with your Australian passport to get your UK passport (and get the Schengen exit stamp), then re-enter Schengen on your UK passport.

Thanks.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I agree with the post above, as a dual citizen myself, I have to say you really want to be careful that you don't do stuff like that. Always make sure you enter and leave countries (or visa zones) on the same passport, or you might end up finding yourself accidentally banned from places in the future.

It never even occurred to me that I might get banned. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
What would be the most cost-efficient way to get a one-way trip from Toulouse to Barcelona? Searching discount airlines, I haven't found anything that flies from Toulouse, save one that didn't fly to Barcelona.