Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Gas stations are pretty common in my experience. I think buffing the damage caused by running into things would help, though. Right now you can basically treat any car you come across as a big zombie eraser.

(OTOH running over zombies does nothing for your combat skills, so there is a trade-off already, but it's negligible if you're not melee-focused)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I think vehicles are pretty decently balanced right now actually. They wreck regular zombies but they can't move over to new maps so ants/bees/caves/labs/temples etc are still going to be just as hard if you've never skilled up in any weapon you can carry with you.

Also I don't know what people are talking about with common gas stations, every time I play the station is either right on main street with the bad poo poo or totally nonexistent.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Tyskil posted:

I think vehicles are pretty decently balanced right now actually. They wreck regular zombies but they can't move over to new maps so ants/bees/caves/labs/temples etc are still going to be just as hard if you've never skilled up in any weapon you can carry with you.

Also I don't know what people are talking about with common gas stations, every time I play the station is either right on main street with the bad poo poo or totally nonexistent.

I get most of my fuel from the gas pumps outside the Mine entrances.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

I get most of my fuel from the gas pumps outside the Mine entrances.

Holy poo poo I did not know there were pumps there :aaa:

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

Holy poo poo I did not know there were pumps there :aaa:

There are also occasionally pumps near hardware stores.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

odd2k posted:

Two words: Archery and vehicles. Both are insanely overpowered in the current build, and make things kinda boring imo.
Are you playing the nightly build? Because archery was overhauled substantially and is a lot more effort now, but also more interesting.

And yeah, vehicles can smoosh any normal zombie, but when you're at the point where you have a vehicle up and running, can mantain it, have a reliable supply of gas and the driving skill to use it, regular zombies aren't something you give a poo poo about anyways.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Are you playing the nightly build? Because archery was overhauled substantially and is a lot more effort now, but also more interesting.

And yeah, vehicles can smoosh any normal zombie, but when you're at the point where you have a vehicle up and running, can mantain it, have a reliable supply of gas and the driving skill to use it, regular zombies aren't something you give a poo poo about anyways.

Archery is a lot more effort than it used to be, but it's a ton more powerful. You don't have to supplement your bow with other weapons now, nothing can stand up to metal arrows. Plus it's really easy to skill up archery now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not like that was ever hard. What else are you going to do to the skill, though? Getting to the point where you can even make metal arrows takes a substantial investment into both Archery and Mechanics, skill level 7, plus a bunch of tools and resources. Even once you're done with that, all you have is a weapon that's decently powerful at short range and has no long-range capabilities whatsoever, it's categorically worse than pretty much any rifle at all. Plus you need to have at least 10 strength. It's something you base your whole build around.

I'm not really sure what's left that you can do to make archery less powerful without making it so useless that there's no point in using it anymore.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
There's probably a good middle ground out there; right now I feel the skill gains in archery from crafting are too high. If anything it should give you more practice in say, mechanics, than actually being able to fire the bow.

Also, I was able to make metal arrows pretty easily with only a 2 or 3 in mechanics. Probably because my archery was already so high, and that takes me back to the crafting issue.

I like the balance of the beginner archer, who can't hit things reliably that are far away and will often need to resort to other tools to get out of tough situations, but you escape from that too quickly by crafting your supply of arrows IMO.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not like that was ever hard. What else are you going to do to the skill, though? Getting to the point where you can even make metal arrows takes a substantial investment into both Archery and Mechanics, skill level 7, plus a bunch of tools and resources. Even once you're done with that, all you have is a weapon that's decently powerful at short range and has no long-range capabilities whatsoever, it's categorically worse than pretty much any rifle at all. Plus you need to have at least 10 strength. It's something you base your whole build around.

I'm not really sure what's left that you can do to make archery less powerful without making it so useless that there's no point in using it anymore.

Oh, I definitely prefer it the way it is now since it's a lot deeper, it's just a lot more powerful than it used to be. The range is 3 times as far as it used to be, and it can deal with robots and skeletons now. It's better than handguns now, whereas those used to be an upgrade over bows.

And you don't need to base your build around it anymore - some of the lesser craftable bows only require 8 strength, and after the addition of slingshots and short-duration crafting recipes at every difficulty level it's very quick and easy to level up archery from nothing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dyzzy posted:

There's probably a good middle ground out there; right now I feel the skill gains in archery from crafting are too high. If anything it should give you more practice in say, mechanics, than actually being able to fire the bow.

Also, I was able to make metal arrows pretty easily with only a 2 or 3 in mechanics. Probably because my archery was already so high, and that takes me back to the crafting issue.

I like the balance of the beginner archer, who can't hit things reliably that are far away and will often need to resort to other tools to get out of tough situations, but you escape from that too quickly by crafting your supply of arrows IMO.
Yeah, that's an engine issue. The primary crafting skill is the one that's most important for success and also the one that's getting trained the most. Just switching the primary and the secondary skill would probably do a lot to fix the "non-combat crafting makes you better at combat skills" problem. You can't make it not train archery at all without reworking how the XP system works, though.

esquilax posted:

Oh, I definitely prefer it the way it is now since it's a lot deeper, it's just a lot more powerful than it used to be. The range is 3 times as far as it used to be, and it can deal with robots and skeletons now. It's better than handguns now, whereas those used to be an upgrade over bows.

And you don't need to base your build around it anymore - some of the lesser craftable bows only require 8 strength, and after the addition of slingshots and short-duration crafting recipes at every difficulty level it's very quick and easy to level up archery from nothing.
I don't really think the range is that improved, it's just that the self bow is pretty much equal to what bows used to be and is crafted at about the same skill level, while all the other ones are upgrades that are harder to make and allow you to take archery into the late game. Which I think is ok.

If you want to be able to use archery into the late game it's still advisable to get high strength, though, because the reflex-recurve bow is categorically the best bow at range and damage and the only way to really approach the damage output of a firearms character. It also requires strength 12.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 7, 2013

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I agree that skill gains from crafting should be reduced. My current character, who has never fired a gun a single time, has a 4 in firearms just because I made a few suppressors with leftover pipes and rags.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cardiovorax posted:

It also requires strength 12.

Do you know what the penalty for not having this is, off hand? I have an archer with only 10 strength using one at the moment, but the effect isn't obvious to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dyzzy posted:

Do you know what the penalty for not having this is, off hand? I have an archer with only 10 strength using one at the moment, but the effect isn't obvious to me.
It lowers the bow's range by twice the amount of squares that you're under the required strength. So strength 10 => 4 squares less range. If you have half or less the required strength, you just can't fire the bow at all.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I just discovered that wood skewers can be a surprisingly effective anti-hulk weapon early on in the game in a pinch. I walked out of the shelter next to a huge town with just my starting gear, a short bow, a few skewers and some hardened wood arrows. I skirted the nearest few buildings and offed a few zombies, before getting rushed by a hulk backed by five or six zombies and a spitter. I figured I was dead meat, but managed to maneuver the hulk onto the frame of an abandoned car after taking several punches that put my torso in the red. At that point, I multidropped the skewers under the hulk, lit them with a pack of matches and fired arrows at the other zombies while the hulk burned to death before it could punch me again.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Wild T posted:

I just discovered that wood skewers can be a surprisingly effective anti-hulk weapon early on in the game in a pinch. I walked out of the shelter next to a huge town with just my starting gear, a short bow, a few skewers and some hardened wood arrows. I skirted the nearest few buildings and offed a few zombies, before getting rushed by a hulk backed by five or six zombies and a spitter. I figured I was dead meat, but managed to maneuver the hulk onto the frame of an abandoned car after taking several punches that put my torso in the red. At that point, I multidropped the skewers under the hulk, lit them with a pack of matches and fired arrows at the other zombies while the hulk burned to death before it could punch me again.

Used this tip to kill a few high level zombies. Pretty neat how much they hate fire. I also love setting houses full of zombies on fire and seeing everything fall apart and burn.

I've also found I'm much better off sooner in the game after reading this thread a bit. I took the advice of getting Tailoring and Survival, smashed out all the windows in the starting shelter for string to create a few pouches and then stockpile all the goods I need to create/repair any storage clothing, like backpacks or cargo pants, so that I don't have to worry about storage space when raiding for early tools. Also archery for the fresh cooked meat is pretty neat, too. Don't have to spam Eat on potato chips and beef jerky early on.

P_R_Deltoid fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 9, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It turns out that some of the developers and moderators in the DDA IRC room are bitcoin true believers! :haw:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Anticheese posted:

It turns out that some of the developers and moderators in the DDA IRC room are bitcoin true believers! :haw:

Bitcoins are a horrible thing to put your money in, are highly volatile, and are massively inflated by a wave of speculation and hype, but on the other hand there is a pizza place near my apartment that will deliver beer to my door in exchange for bitcoins so it's not all bad.

It's still pretty bad though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anticheese posted:

A lot of them are bronies too as I found out to my chagrin.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

So long as they don't put their stupidity in the game I don't even care.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Cardiovorax posted:

So long as they don't put their stupidity in the game I don't even care.

There is a fursuit in-game right now though.

EDIT: I don't care though, as long as they don't start putting poo poo like that among traits and npcs and all.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Also archery for the fresh cooked meat is pretty neat, too. Don't have to spam Eat on potato chips and beef jerky early on.

Yeah, but those chips and beef jerky get you empty bags for fletching. Fletching leads to metal arrows, which rip the absolute poo poo out of everything (by that time you should have a long bow or, optimally, a reflex recurve). After I hit like archery level 16 on the stable build I had to make a coilgun to make clearing cities rewarding again, otherwise it was 'F, F, B' for everything that wandered into range.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
After a certain point the 'B' isn't even necessary.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wild T posted:

Yeah, but those chips and beef jerky get you empty bags for fletching. Fletching leads to metal arrows, which rip the absolute poo poo out of everything (by that time you should have a long bow or, optimally, a reflex recurve). After I hit like archery level 16 on the stable build I had to make a coilgun to make clearing cities rewarding again, otherwise it was 'F, F, B' for everything that wandered into range.

Others have said this, but the skill gain from crafting is probably the main culprit here. By level 16 in a weapon skill you should be able to tear monsters apart. The problem starts when you can use arrows to get feathers and craft hundreds of fletchings to pump your skill up.

Also headshots from an entire screen away might be excessive.

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
is there any escape from sinkholes? My character is pretty kitted, I have a jackhammer and some gas for it, but I cant seem to find a way out, am I dead or can I escape somehow? I don't have a rope sadly!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

You might be able to drill your way to a shelter basement or subway/sewer system. Other than that, I'm not sure.

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
Bugger

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Others have said this, but the skill gain from crafting is probably the main culprit here. By level 16 in a weapon skill you should be able to tear monsters apart. The problem starts when you can use arrows to get feathers and craft hundreds of fletchings to pump your skill up.

Also headshots from an entire screen away might be excessive.

What monsters drop feathers, anyway? I've got stores full of fur, chitin and leather, but I haven't run into any feathers yet. I spent the first week or so surviving off of potato chips, beef jerky and coffee simply to get lots of plastic bags.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Crows, of course. They're a bit more rare than the other woodland critters, so you might not have stumbled over any yet. They drop like a hundred feathers each, though, so you don't need that many.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So does the latest version of GDA have all the cool stuff in the last release and the extra books and such?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
So you guys who are eating only beef jerky know that food that comes in plastic bags can be 'U'nloaded right? And that it just drops the food that you unloaded from the container into your inventory, where it seems to keep just as well?

e: One of the big things I like about Cataclysm is the pop-up menu thing they've got going in the inventory. It's so much easier to bring up an item's menu and be presented with options than ahve to remember about 50 different arcane keys for everything under the sun.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Apparently solar panels are unfucked now.

PiCroft, is there any chance you can merge in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/2008

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Anticheese posted:

Apparently solar panels are unfucked now.

PiCroft, is there any chance you can merge in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/2008

Sure, I'll take a look once I'm home.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Anyone know if bionics are or will be unfucked? Last time I made Robocop and travelled the countryside searching for bionics, I ragequit when I discovered the key to select my brand-new fusion blaster was a solid square.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

Tehan posted:

Anyone know if bionics are or will be unfucked? Last time I made Robocop and travelled the countryside searching for bionics, I ragequit when I discovered the key to select my brand-new fusion blaster was a solid square.

I think I remember this coming up earlier in the thread, but if you open your save file with notepad you should be able to assign it a different key.

Edit:

A Miserable Robot posted:

In your save file you should see something like this: "bio_night_vision d 0 0 1 20 28 0 0 0 0"

You would just change the "d" to an "e" or any other letter and it should reflect the change in game.

It shouldn't be too hard for them to remove those characters as possible options for bionics so the situation doesn't happen, though.

A Miserable Robot fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 11, 2013

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

A Miserable Robot posted:

I think I remember this coming up earlier in the thread, but if you open your save file with notepad you should be able to assign it a different key.

Hell yeah. Robocop rides again! Cheers.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Has anyone else noticed that maps/saves don't work correctly between nightlies, no matter how minor the changes? I've tried it out between nightlies that only changed descriptions and spelling mistakes, and still ended up with a map where all the roads were changed into walls and random switches dotted the countryside (that released monsters when pushed). It only gets worse the more changes that were made, and give up if any new tiles or fields were added.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, but that's normal. The way the game saves stuff is basically just by dumping the map buffer to a file. Even small changes will shift the way the game interpretes that file around a bit. The download page warns you of that, though.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Hey guys,

Just to keep you up to date, I'll try and get the GDA merged with the latest build ASAP. I've been busy with my day job recently, trying to get a build done on our current game and its been hectic. And I've also reacquired an obsession with New Vegas :sweatdrop:

I've been fiddling with an electricity system and I am making progress but it is nowhere near ready to put in a build so I've set it aside for the moment and will instead concentrate on getting GDA updated.

Please bear with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
After so many playthroughs, I've finally come across my first slime pit (right next to my starting shelter). Even just starting out, slimes are stupidly easy to deal with--they're slow and a nail-bat takes quick care of them. Of course they keep spawning from their slime pit though, and I want to know if there's anyway to destroy it?