Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm a commercial pilot! Passed my comm multi just now, hoo yes I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Rolo posted:

I'm a commercial pilot! Passed my comm multi just now, hoo yes I did.

Congrats! Do you have to do a separate checkride to get a commercial single?

Also, for the 121 guys here, what happens to the pilots in the case of AAR214? Will the captain in training be demoted to FO or canned altogether? I'm sure the check captain he was (presumably) with will get the axe. How about the relief crew? Any repercussions for them as they weren't the ones flying at the time?

Edit: Subjects help

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Rickety Cricket posted:

Also, for the 121 guys here, what happens to the pilots in the case of AAR214? Will the captain in training be demoted to FO or canned altogether? I'm sure the check captain he was (presumably) with will get the axe. How about the relief crew? Any repercussions for them as they weren't the ones flying at the time?

Really depends on their union, full cause analysis, etc. Keep in mind one person called the speed anomaly 7s before impact, so that could have been either guy in the jumpseats.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rickety Cricket posted:

Thanks! And yeah I do have to get a single add-on, but oh well, I'm ecstatic.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congrats Rolo! Are you on the path to CFI soon? We might end up geting our opposite ratings soon. I just got commercial single, need to add that multi soon :) I think it's going to be impossible to get my CFI before August 1st.

Simply not enough CFI's around the area for me to get any work done with them. I'm doing all the self study I can, but I know I'll end up short in something somewhere.

In OTHER news: I landed my mooney from the right seat all by myself today, 4 seperate times.

Did a first pass low and slow with all the junk out to see how it felt, and had a left seat pilot tell me if he thought he was on centerline. Next 4 landings were right on center line, but then veered far to the right after touchdown..... I'll have to fix that pretty quick!

phpro
Jun 22, 2010
phpro PPL ASEL

Passed my checkride a few weeks ago, forgot to update. Finished my license in 25 days of flying, but over a period of 35 days. Didn't fly for 10 days in that period due to weather.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Rickety Cricket posted:

I don't suspect any of them will get fired over this.

Some changes in SOP will be made probably. Perhaps forced unpaid leave for all pilots present in cockpit followed by retraining, more symbolic than anything.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Not to beat a dead horse that has already been thoroughly flogged in this thread but this is going to be a thing now:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ67.pdf

A few days ago I had a schedule almost identical to Rebecca Shaws the night of the accident. It worked out OK though because I have an ATP and she didn't. Those little words printed on a piece of plastic meant that I was impervious to fatigue and the stress caused by my impending displacement and life sucking commute*

*I want to move to base but I'm about to be displaced to who knows where in the next few months so moving until I find out is pointless.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

Not to beat a dead horse that has already been thoroughly flogged in this thread but this is going to be a thing now:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ67.pdf

A few days ago I had a schedule almost identical to Rebecca Shaws the night of the accident. It worked out OK though because I have an ATP and she didn't. Those little words printed on a piece of plastic meant that I was impervious to fatigue and the stress caused by my impending displacement and life sucking commute*

*I want to move to base but I'm about to be displaced to who knows where in the next few months so moving until I find out is pointless.

So is this ,essentially, the new rules as of Aug. 1, 2013? I remember reading a lot of speculation because I guess the rules had not been officially released. Is this that official release?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yes. Towing banners in a 15 mile circle for 1,500 hours will qualify you as long as you have 200 long hours of cross country time.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

So is this ,essentially, the new rules as of Aug. 1, 2013? I remember reading a lot of speculation because I guess the rules had not been officially released. Is this that official release?

This is the final ruling.

To summarize:

All 121 FO's must have an ATP by 8/1/13 with a full type rating by sometime in 2016.

FO's can get a restricted ATP if they are:
21 years old with the ATP time requirements.
21 years old with 750 hours of military time.
21 years old with 1000 hours and a BS in aviation.
21 years old with 1250 and an associated degree in aviation.

SIC only requires a 2nd class medical, PIC still requires first class.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
There's also a new ATP written going into effect as well.

Apparently the FAA figured out that most people just rote-memorize the current ATP written questions to pass the test, so they're creating a new written exam that will require specific training to take effective August 1.

If you complete the ATP written before that date, it'll be grandfathered in under the new regs.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

There's also a new ATP written going into effect as well.

Apparently the FAA figured out that most people just rote-memorize the current ATP written questions to pass the test, so they're creating a new written exam that will require specific training to take effective August 1.

If you complete the ATP written before that date, it'll be grandfathered in under the new regs.

I'm screwed 4 years from now lolz

EDIT:
As I'm reading through this I keep reading ATP and 1,500 hours, with no mention of cross country. Are they amending the 500 hour xc requirement? Cause that seems like a heluva lot of xc time to build while instructing.

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 11, 2013

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

I'm screwed 4 years from now lolz

EDIT:
As I'm reading through this I keep reading ATP and 1,500 hours, with no mention of cross country. Are they amending the 500 hour xc requirement? Cause that seems like a heluva lot of xc time to build while instructing.

I don't think they're amending the XC requirements for the normal (1500 hr) ATP. My understanding is that the reduced 200 XC requirement only applies to people using the Riddle exception, and everyone else gets the normal 500XC requirement

The current ATP written is kind of a joke. The performance chart problems are pretty simple, but the cross country problems are so obtuse (the three answers are only a few minutes apart) that there's almost no point in actually working them compared to just memorizing the answers. Plus, there are quite a few questions that make zero sense.

As an example, I just got this question on a practice test.

"You land long on an 8,500ft runway, and discover that the braking doesn't work, so you decide to take off and climb out. The engines take 5 seconds to spool up, and the aircraft requires an additional 10 seconds to lift off. The 4,000ft markers passed two seconds ago. Assuming an average groundspeed of 143 kts, do you have enough runway to lift off?"

The correct answer is "No, the runway is 99ft too short, and the decision was made 0.4 seconds too late"

What the heck does that have to do with anything in the real world? I'm pretty sure that in the event of a brake failure, most pilots aren't going to whip out a calculator and stopwatch (assuming they know their average groundspeed during this process) to try and figure that out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Now, now. You shouldn't question the judgment of Chuck Schumer and the world's foremost aviation expert, Saint Sully.

(This law is bullshit and I can't loving wait to do my Graduate Research Project on it to show how worthless it is. Especially in light of the fact that the Asiana captain had 9,700TT and 3,000 in type (twice the ATP threshold) and appears to have blown it badly.)

KodiakRS posted:

21 years old with 750 hours of military time.
21 years old with 1000 hours and a BS in aviation.
21 years old with 1250 and an associated degree in aviation.

SIC only requires a 2nd class medical, PIC still requires first class.

Wait, 21? They lowered the age to get the ATP, yet jacked up the flight time? How does a 21 year old even build 1,500 hours? :psyboom:

Is the 1,000 hour exemption for any BS in aviation? I had heard it was going to be for alums of certain flight training programs (ERAU, UND, etc.)...if that's true, my nearly completely lost morale may have gotten a slight boost. I'm an ERAU grad, but went the Worldwide route and did training locally.

Also, one of my best friends is a 2LT in the USAF that asked about the law and, when I told him about the military exemption, basically said ":lol: you're not getting out of the Air Force with just 750 hours".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 11, 2013

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wait, 21? They lowered the age to get the ATP, yet jacked up the flight time? How does a 21 year old even build 1,500 hours? :psyboom:

Is the 1,000 hour exemption for any BS in aviation? I had heard it was going to be for alums of certain flight training programs (ERAU, UND, etc.)...if that's true, my nearly completely lost morale may have gotten a slight boost. I'm an ERAU grad, but went the Worldwide route and did training locally.

They didn't lower the age for the full ATP. If you get the ATP at age 21, it's a restricted ATP (limited to SIC only, and likely only good within the US) until you hit 23. My understanding of the 1000hr exception is that you must have a BS in aviation and have completed at least the instrument and commercial certificates under part 141.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

They didn't lower the age for the full ATP. If you get the ATP at age 21, it's a restricted ATP (limited to SIC only, and likely only good within the US) until you hit 23. My understanding of the 1000hr exception is that you must have a BS in aviation and have completed at least the instrument and commercial certificates under part 141.

Thanks. Glancing through it myself, it seems as though you not only have to do the degree with the school, but also the flight training, which screams "Provision in the law installed to shut the schools which hate this law up".

So much for trying to save money, eh?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thanks. Glancing through it myself, it seems as though you not only have to do the degree with the school, but also the flight training, which screams "Provision in the law installed to shut the schools which hate this law up".

That's exactly what the provision is for.

When the bill was originally proposed, Embry Riddle threw a fit, since people were going to come out of there with massive debt (about $200,000 for a BS in aviation), and they'd be about 1,200 hours short of being eligible for a job at a regional. I know other colleges were involved in the lobbying as well, but since Riddle has the most to lose from a dropoff in flight students (almost no one will pay $150k for a non-flying degree from them), they were pretty much the poster boys for that exception being put into the bill.

Since this bill will seriously hurt some of the large non-university flight schools out there, I wouldn't be too surprised if it gets modified or interpreted to allow the flight training and classroom stuff to be done by separate schools.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 11, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Kinda sucks since I'd love to get the restricted one in a year when I'll have probably 1200tt and have finished my bs in aviation, from loving riddle, but because I didn't incinerate 200 grand and my certs were done under 61 I'm in eligible. (Even though I taught at a 141 school...)

Edit: I'm at like 1000tt right now but current job is a QoL job not a time builder.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

We've all seen bad aviation reporting before but I think this takes the cake.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/07/10/ac-boeing-flight-simulator-tuchman-pkg.cnn.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess Delta wouldn't let them into their 777 simulators that are within what 30 miles of CNN hq so they found some guy's FSX setup?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Asiana pilot is now claiming that a bright flash of light blinded him and thats why he crashed. Right.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

TIL you MUST use autoland under IFR. Jesus.

Tell me more, guy whose friend flies 777! :allears:

EDIT: Just looked up the flight school they did that bit at, "california airways". Per their website "Interested in learning how to fly? Take an intro flight for just $298." Hahahaha for the low low price of 300 dollars you get 30 minutes in a sim and 40 minutes in the air.

They do offer time in a King Air for $300 an hour which actually doesn't seem that bad. If one wanted to pay for King Air time for whatever reason.

Rickety Cricket fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 12, 2013

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Animal posted:

The Asiana pilot is now claiming that a bright flash of light blinded him and thats why he crashed. Right.

Yes, but was he cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night?

Sounds like it's mostly a case of the US media looking for a story, since the NTSB clarified the statement to say that the pilot stated the light didn't affect his ability to fly the airplane or his vision. CNN has also helpfully added that a cell phone or iPad didn't cause the crash, after they informed people that the airplane caught fire because something was burning.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Animal posted:

Hey, it happened in a Tom Clancy novel.:v:

Rickety Cricket posted:

TIL you MUST use autoland under IFR. Jesus.

Ah crap, I guess I've been blatantly violating the FAR's. If you're reading this and you're from the FAA I swear the controllers all said 3 miles" not RVR 1800, Honest.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Any EU goon here that happened to have applied to the recent Aer Lingus FO selection?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

azflyboy posted:

Yes, but was he cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night?

I know you can't hear it from here but I'm seriously :golfclap:'ing for you right now.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Animal posted:

He could see his whole career flashing before his eyes!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
This weekend my husband is finally doing his BFR after a break in flying of six years and the instructor has okayed me going up for the ride. I've never been in a small aircraft before (This will be a Cessna172...S I think?). How big of a barf bag should I bring with me?

We've started listening to aviation podcasts together. Do you guys have any favorites?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I love The Finer Points.

Wear extremely skimpy clothing. I fly in shorts and a breathable tshirt. Do not 'dress up' for this. Keep your eyes focused on the horizon if you feel weird. Don't be afraid to tell them you're not feeling well, as every pilot in the universe has gotten motion sick at some point.

But honestly it shouldn't be a big deal.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Just saw the 787 fire news :ohdear:. At least it doesnt look like a battery location, maybe the FA crew rest.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

as every pilot in the universe has gotten motion sick at some point.

speak for yourself, buddy :colbert:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Haha, I'm usually pretty good, but being in Phoenix in the backseat of an archer during July absolutely killed me. Extremely hot and bumpy. That's the only time I've ever puked in an airplane.
In unrelated news, I flew like 5 hours today of mind numbing proficiency check stuff and I'm totally braindead and exhausted, just the amount of mental energy used was so draining. 3 hours of photo work, lunch, and then vfr maneuvers/emergencies/landings. So, feeling even stupid-er than normal, but well on my way to the company deciding, "Well, he's a moron, but he's our moron."

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 12, 2013

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Knockknees posted:

This weekend my husband is finally doing his BFR after a break in flying of six years and the instructor has okayed me going up for the ride. I've never been in a small aircraft before (This will be a Cessna172...S I think?). How big of a barf bag should I bring with me?
Congrats to you guys for getting back into it! You should expect to be in the back seat, so you'll probably be mostly looking out the side windows. At least, I can never see much from the back seat of a 172 if I'm just looking straight ahead.

It's a bit like being in a small boat, because you'll feel gusts of wind pretty easily. There's a ton of stuff to look at through the side windows, so that's a great distraction. Bring a camera. :3: If you get nervous, remember that the 172 likes to stay in the air. A little wind is normal for it.

That said, bring more barf bags than you think you'll need. Try not to make anyone have to go in there and clean up after you. :) I don't know if taking something like Dramamine beforehand would help, but it'd be worth checking into if you're worried. I get motion sickness if I try to read in a car, but I'm fine in the plane.

And finally, if the ride is likely to be really bumpy and you don't like the roller coaster "floating stomach" feeling, don't be afraid to stay on the ground. I love flying, but I still didn't go up in a 172 with my husband until I was absolutely sure I wouldn't be a distraction.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

What time of day are you going? If it's a morning flight, there's a chance it'll be smooth as silk. Seeing as it's a BFR, be prepared for some maneuvers, especially steep turns, which might be hard on a GA rookie.

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess Delta wouldn't let them into their 777 simulators that are within what 30 miles of CNN hq so they found some guy's FSX setup?

Yeah, it appeared the sim they were using had Beechcraft gauges, so I'm not sure what they were "flying", unless it was a 777 with the standard panel that comes with the game.

azflyboy posted:

Sounds like it's mostly a case of the US media looking for a story, since the NTSB clarified the statement to say that the pilot stated the light didn't affect his ability to fly the airplane or his vision. CNN has also helpfully added that a cell phone or iPad didn't cause the crash, after they informed people that the airplane caught fire because something was burning.

"Don't worry, John Q. Public, it's still safe to fly. You're not going to die today. For more, let's call in Chesley Sullenberger for his input..."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 13, 2013

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Logged my first hour of actual today! Almost a full hour of hard IFR, it was incredible!! Flying in the clouds was awesome and flying above them was so beautiful. I can't wait to do it again! If anyone flew into DCA or IAD today you saw the rainy/crappy day we had. So pretty up top though :)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rickety Cricket posted:

Logged my first hour of actual today! Almost a full hour of hard IFR, it was incredible!! Flying in the clouds was awesome and flying above them was so beautiful. I can't wait to do it again! If anyone flew into DCA or IAD today you saw the rainy/crappy day we had. So pretty up top though :)

Weird in a cool way, right? My first hour of actual almost felt like sitting in a sim because it was smooth when we did it.

My (first attempt at the 250NM) Instrument cross-country was in solid IFR on a rainy day. Ended up having to go missed at the destination (the first time my CFII ever actually had to go missed) and fly all the way home after not getting down on two attempts.

Did it VFR a couple weeks later, which was an adventure in itself with gusts into the upper-20s and big-time turbulence below 5,000. As much as the low altitude rough ride and Westbound leg at 70kts sucked, we cruised at 9,000 on the way back, doing 169kts in a 172SP. :getin:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Jesus, haha. We got out there at 118 kts in a 172P which I think is the fastest GS I've seen so far. It was crazy smooth out today. Just a little bumpy in the climb out and descent, but even in hard IFR at 5,000 was smooth as glass.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
An older crop dusting video. http://vimeo.com/69854648
I'd certainly rather be flying than the flagman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

CBJSprague24 posted:

What time of day are you going? If it's a morning flight, there's a chance it'll be smooth as silk. Seeing as it's a BFR, be prepared for some maneuvers, especially steep turns, which might be hard on a GA rookie.

We're going late morning, so hopefully its nice and easy.

BUT we just found out that we accidentally scheduled it during the middle of a fly-in breakfast. That will make things interesting too...

• Locked thread