Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Be careful everyone.

I'm going to venture to guess that "Chrisopher" isn't a very common name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

nippythefish posted:

I'm going to venture to guess that "Chrisopher" isn't a very common name.

Sure Chrisopher and Jessica are bad guys but do I have to worry about Ray and Alan?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

I'll be so happy when this Keep Calm poo poo dies. I don't even understand how it became so popular in the first place.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I'll be so happy when this Keep Calm poo poo dies. I don't even understand how it became so popular in the first place.

A lovely mysogynistic website started using it as their motto, putting it on Tshirts that were always out of stock but than miraculously in stock for maximum sales. Something to do with Bill Murray as well.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ularg posted:

I watch Adventure Time when I'm having a lovely day as a grown rear end man.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with watching and enjoying any TV program for kids, or any other age range, as an adult, as long as you do not become a fanatic about it. The awkward is in how these people decide to base their lifestyle around celebrating their fanaticism for said program, I think we all know that, right?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SybilVimes posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with watching and enjoying any TV program for kids, or any other age range, as an adult, as long as you do not become a fanatic about it. The awkward is in how these people decide to base their lifestyle around celebrating their fanaticism for said program, I think we all know that, right?

That and also as long as you don't become somehow convinced that you're the real target audience for a children's show. Adventure Time is a little different in that it seems to be made with adults in mind to some extent but in the end it's still made for kids and so is MLP.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

JT Smiley posted:

I saw "Keep Calm and The Doctor" the other day. Like not "follow the Doctor" or "Watch Doctor Who" or anything with a verb. Just "Keep Calm and The Doctor". I was so angry.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

SybilVimes posted:

I would love to believe that so I can reenjoy the collection of VHS tapes I still own, but yeah more than like one episode a year starts to feel weird, even if I really love the show like I did growing up. First season of rugrats or AAH real monsters. I blame the internet for the insecurity.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Be careful everyone.

If they really exist and are hacking then they just find that image and view the share list, right?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ularg posted:

If they really exist and are hacking then they just find that image and view the share list, right?

And then they'll be able to find out your computer's ID :ohdear:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vriess posted:

Then anonymizer did something weird and switched #1 with #8.

Whole posts that got cut off:

Someone just posted that on my facebook feed. On the plus side, it's a long ago internet friend who constantly complains about failed relationships and not anybody I actually associate with.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Kimmalah posted:

That and also as long as you don't become somehow convinced that you're the real target audience for a children's show. Adventure Time is a little different in that it seems to be made with adults in mind to some extent but in the end it's still made for kids and so is MLP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTleunYqX0s

Don't be this guy basically

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

Someone just posted that on my facebook feed. On the plus side, it's a long ago internet friend who constantly complains about failed relationships and not anybody I actually associate with.

I sincerely don't get these people.

Being a nerd is now so cool that gorgeous women are desperate to be one so they can hang out with me and talk about Star Wars?

It seems win-win.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

GreenMetalSun posted:

Being a nerd is now so cool that gorgeous women are desperate to be one so they can hang out with me and talk about Star Wars?

It seems win-win.

They're not women, they're "females" taking over THEIR word. And they only date douchebags anyway (douchebag gamers/nerds I guess? I can't follow the logic any more.)

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

mng posted:

They're not women, they're "females" taking over THEIR word. And they only date douchebags anyway (douchebag gamers/nerds I guess? I can't follow the logic any more.)

You mean they date douchebag casual gamers.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GreenMetalSun posted:

It seems win-win.

I think it's a mix of people worrying way too much about "posers" in whatever subculture they're a part of and lot of weird issues with women in general.

There's might be some bitterness there because a lot of these guys think "she's nerdy, we're soulmates!" and then it doesn't work out because surprise, surprise it takes more than video games to hold a couple together. I know I've lost a lot of nerdy guy friends that way.

mng posted:

No, no you see women have sex with douchebags in order to get pregnant with their superior alpha male genes and then pose as a nerd get some nice nerdy beta male to raise their kid.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

That dude is weird as hell, but he make a good point he says towards the end "you're never going to make any money if you don't realize who you should be marketing to" or something along those lines.

And now Hasbro is making another MLP spinoff that has all of characters as anthropomorphized adolescent girls.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

:stare: Boy that's... one hell of a leap of logic. "Corporations have a disturbingly large influence on the government THEREFORE obviously separation of church and state is bad :downs: "

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

:stare: Boy that's... one hell of a leap of logic. "Corporations have a disturbingly large influence on the government THEREFORE obviously separation of church and state is bad :downs: "

Ooooh. Swing and a miss. So close on that Facebook post. Really glad they thought that thumbnail was a good idea. What a pleasant image to casually scroll to.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

(snipped because holy gently caress that thumbnail :gonk:)

You're forgetting the (probable) dogwhistle racism in the opening line of the article that your friend linked.

And I can only imagine how people who're calling for such an extremely strict theocracy would react when they found out that the rules actually applied to them now, especially if it was an interpretation to the letter of the creed/holy document they follow.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

GreenMetalSun posted:

It seems win-win.

I think the line of logic is that these people simply feign being a nerd because it's become sort of in vogue recently with people who don't actually understand or care for it on any deep level but have no actual interest in being one or the nerds themselves.

I don't think this kind of person actually exists, is the hang-up I have with that logic. I have never met a person who pretends to know their poo poo about the subject when in reality they're faking it to gain favour with this also mythical group that supposedly likes the idea of a nerd but not an actual nerd. Usually people accused of this are either just girls because girls, or people who just don't like the same things as that person.

It's a bit hosed and it stops making sense pretty fast if you try to think about it too hard like I've done. Of course now even that line of logic has just been perverted even further from just being merely broken into being a horrible, toxic facet of nerd culture.

I can't really get into the heads of these people too well either and I'm going to stop staring into the abyss before it stares back.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Exactly. God forbid my friends girlfriend or my friend doesn't know the whole Halo timeline like I do. We just play League of casualslegends and rant about Star Wars.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

NeurosisHead posted:

And now Hasbro is making another MLP spinoff that has all of characters as anthropomorphized adolescent girls.

What the bronies won? gently caress this planet.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

The sort of person who complains about "girl gamers" and "fake nerds", I've found, is someone who has built their entire identity around the idea that nerds are supposed to be social outcasts, so it gets them really annoyed when other people can enjoy the benefits of nerd-dom (i.e. having things that you are passionate about and having other people who are interested in similar things) without the supposed downside. To them, it isn't "fair" that someone's allowed to like the same things they like unless that other person has also gone through the same sort of experiences with being ostracized and marginalized.

(Obviously they ignore the fact that nerds haven't been picked on in any sort of systematic way since, what, the 1980s, and that what they interpret as being maligned for being a nerd is actually just due to their own social inadequacies.)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

That dude is weird as hell, but he make a good point he says towards the end "you're never going to make any money if you don't realize who you should be marketing to" or something along those lines.

Don't Bronies already write anthropomorphized Pony fanfic?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Flaggy posted:

Don't Bronies already write anthropomorphized Pony fanfic?

And now hasbro can cash in on it with official merchandise.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

kannonfodder posted:

And now hasbro can cash in on it with official merchandise.

I guess they figured if they have to deal with bronies they might as well get paid for it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

(Obviously they ignore the fact that nerds haven't been picked on in any sort of systematic way since, what, the 1980s, and that what they interpret as being maligned for being a nerd is actually just due to their own social inadequacies.)

Obviously the people bashing girls for pretending to be nerds (assuming that has ever happened) are ridiculous, but are you saying nerdy kids haven't been disproportionately bullied since the 80's? I don't have kids and honestly don't know if schools have just resolved that problem nowadays.

Aside from that I think you're probably right, but I imagine plenty of people posting this crap were in fact nerdy kids in the 80's so maybe this situation will resolve itself over time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

davebo posted:

Obviously the people bashing girls for pretending to be nerds (assuming that has ever happened) are ridiculous, but are you saying nerdy kids haven't been disproportionately bullied since the 80's? I don't have kids and honestly don't know if schools have just resolved that problem nowadays.

Aside from that I think you're probably right, but I imagine plenty of people posting this crap were in fact nerdy kids in the 80's so maybe this situation will resolve itself over time.

I think he just means that stereotypical nerdy things like being interested in computers and video games used to be a real social stigma but is much less so now that it's all become very mainstream. More likely if you have nerdy interests and get bullied it's because you're just a socially awkward kid (which pretty much always makes you a target and unfortunately seems to be common among gamers). Or like :smuggo: Facebook guy, you've made such a huge deal out of it being part of your identity that it's obnoxious.

I was a nerdy kid and got bullied a lot, but it was never about liking video games or getting good grades, it was because I was shy/weird and socially awkward in general. In fact, my interests were the main reason I had any friends at all most of the time. For reference this was all throughout the 90s when this stuff was acceptable but still considered a little odd.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

davebo posted:

I think it would be better to say that in almost all likelyhood the nerds who are grown rear end men(children) haven't been bullied since High School.

Sandweed posted:

What the bronies won? gently caress this planet.

Money won.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Biting Treyvon Martin commentary here. The thumb-nailed picture is all that is in that loving long url. Oh also, the one commenter is not the same as the OP, I can see how using similar colors would make that confusing.

This guy has been having a hell of a time hiding his true feelings about the trial as it's been developing this past couple weeks. Every day he posts something a little less vague and a little more that-brown-kid-had-it-coming.

FATTIES CAN'T BE JERKS THEY ARE JOLLY!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

I think he just means that stereotypical nerdy things like being interested in computers and video games used to be a real social stigma but is much less so now that it's all become very mainstream. More likely if you have nerdy interests and get bullied it's because you're just a socially awkward kid (which pretty much always makes you a target and unfortunately seems to be common among gamers). Or like :smuggo: Facebook guy, you've made such a huge deal out of it being part of your identity that it's obnoxious.

I was a nerdy kid and got bullied a lot, but it was never about liking video games or getting good grades, it was because I was shy/weird and socially awkward in general. In fact, my interests were the main reason I had any friends at all most of the time. For reference this was all throughout the 90s when this stuff was acceptable but still considered a little odd.

Yeah, basically I just mean that no one now gets bullied "because they're a nerd".

And yeah also that at some point if you're in your late 20s and still fuming about what some mean kid did to you when you were 11, you should probably get over it.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Also, I love what today's update to Social Fixer does to the anonymise function:

Great practical joke guys, that newsagent guy won't know what hit him! YouTube sensation, guaranteed!

Can I buy a couple of stamps, CHICKEN FUCKER!??!?

:rolleyes:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Yeah, basically I just mean that no one now gets bullied "because they're a nerd".

And yeah also that at some point if you're in your late 20s and still fuming about what some mean kid did to you when you were 11, you should probably get over it.

"But my co-workers sit around all day talking about their fantasy football league and don't include me because I told them sports are for stupid jock dummies and now no one likes me so I'm totally a persecuted minority!"

Please don't post any facebook screencaps of people like that because if my made-up persecuted manchild geek vision is actually real, I don't want to know.

Edit: VV Holy crap. I thought it was redundant the way he said anthropomorphized teenage girls since teenage girls are already humans, but they're not even actual humans. They still have horse ears, tails, and wings, possibly hooves? I think I'd rather people write disgusting fanfic about talking horses just so it keeps them far away from actual little girls.

davebo has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jul 10, 2013

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Just to belabor the point, here have some info about it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

Just to belabor the point, here have some info about it.

Welp threw up in my mouth a bit. How awful do you suppose the brony community is going to do with this new show?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Somehow I don't think this is true. I'm not a kid, and I haven't been for a long time, but I imagine nerdy kids are still picked on the same way they have always been. The difference now is that activities that used to be exclusively "nerd territory" are now acceptable. Skinny little weaklings with no social skills are still getting picked on I'm sure.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Leon Einstein posted:

Somehow I don't think this is true. I'm not a kid, and I haven't been for a long time, but I imagine nerdy kids are still picked on the same way they have always been. The difference now is that activities that used to be exclusively "nerd territory" are now acceptable. Skinny little weaklings with no social skills are still getting picked on I'm sure.

Kids get picked on for many things,owning an Xbox is not one of them. That's his point.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Flaggy posted:

Welp threw up in my mouth a bit. How awful do you suppose the brony community is going to do with this new show?

They hate it. It's too girly. :ironicat:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I bet none of these so called "geek" girls even bite the heads off live chickens in circus side shows. FAKERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I guess she's not strictly being an idiot, but after years of her constantly talking about her pride in Mexico... I found it oddly fitting (for lack of a better word) that she had never been there before and was given some insight on her first trip.

I've posted this blurred guy before. Red is some friend of his. Here's an older post that I posted in this thread previously.

He'll treat you with the same respect you treat him. Point blank, apparently. :jerkbag:

Zesty has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Jul 10, 2013

• Locked thread