Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Might wanna get rid of that hotlink or the mods and whatever website that was from will get mad at you!

Cheers i didn't notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Maybe it's because I'm an astronomer, but the first thing that came to my mind when lost on another planet is to look at the stars and try to figure out how far from Earth you may be. v:shobon:v

Even if you are an astronomer, how would you be able to recognize ANY stars if you were located somewhere else in the galaxy? I mean, how would you even start?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Rewatching Atlantis, just finished McKay and Mrs. Miller. I never noticed it before, but parallel-universe McKay is totally doing the Terminator time-travel pose when he arrives in this reality.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Even if you are an astronomer, how would you be able to recognize ANY stars if you were located somewhere else in the galaxy? I mean, how would you even start?

That's what I was wondering too. I mean sure, if you were dropped on Alpha Centauri or something, there'd probably be enough similarity to take a guess. But if you could've been anywhere in the galaxy, could you even identify a single specific star without either a general sky position or the context of a constellation with the naked eye? Honest question since you're an astronomer, JetsGuy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I finished season 1. I really liked how they ended on a more serious note. I thought it was a bit silly that they didn't believe Jackson about his trip to another reality, after seeing O'Neill age 100 years and being revived from death by the Nox, etc. but I guess they have to create drama somehow. I'm a bit surprised how decent the effects look now, they don't look nearly as bad as other 90s shows.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

alg posted:

I finished season 1. I really liked how they ended on a more serious note. I thought it was a bit silly that they didn't believe Jackson about his trip to another reality, after seeing O'Neill age 100 years and being revived from death by the Nox, etc. but I guess they have to create drama somehow. I'm a bit surprised how decent the effects look now, they don't look nearly as bad as other 90s shows.

I agree; a lot of the effects (even early spaceship stuff) hold up quite good.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Flame112 posted:

Holy poo poo, "It's Good to be King" is such a great episode. Maybourne being a king, Jack taking out a mothership with a puddle jumper, Teal'c being even more badass than usual. Casual use of time travel by the ancients for some reason. It's kind of perfect.

That's actually a semi-sequel to Atlantis's "Before I Sleep", where it's suggested that the Lantean scientist Janus - who created the Atlantis-based Time Jumper (which gets destroyed and sinks to the ocean floor when Weir is 10,000 years in the past) - will later follow up on his time-travel research in the Milky Way. The second, Milky Way-constructed Time Jumper shows up then in "Good to be King", and gets used in a big way later in the season.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Idran posted:

That's what I was wondering too. I mean sure, if you were dropped on Alpha Centauri or something, there'd probably be enough similarity to take a guess. But if you could've been anywhere in the galaxy, could you even identify a single specific star without either a general sky position or the context of a constellation with the naked eye?
Constellations are just names for groups of stars that appear to be closely together and form patters in Earth's sky. But just because two stars appear to be close together from our point of view, doesn't mean they actually are. An individual star from a constellation can be extremely far away from the other stars in its constellation and can instead be close neighbours with a star from a completely different constellation.

If you're standing on a planet at the other side of the galaxy, the night sky would look nothing like that of Earth.
And using constellation to indicate points in space like the show does is a bit silly and one of those things that one just shouldn't think too hard about.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Constellations are just names for groups of stars that appear to be closely together and form patters in Earth's sky. But just because two stars appear to be close together from our point of view, doesn't mean they actually are. An individual star from a constellation can be extremely far away from the other stars in its constellation and can instead be close neighbours with a star from a completely different constellation.

Right, I know that. But when you're standing on Earth, the only reason you can distinguish, to pick out a random star, Gamma Draconis from any other K-type star is because of where it appears to be relative to the other stars in the Draco constellation standing on Earth. And if you were on another planet and you didn't know where you were in the galaxy, by the naked eye you probably couldn't identify Gamma Draconis because you wouldn't have the context of the rest of the constellation to identify it specifically. That's why I said that from a nearby star you could probably take a good shot at identifying where you were; most constellations would likely look nearly identical within, say, 20-30 light years of Earth, with just enough change to be able to pinpoint your location with a few calculations even with just looking with the naked eye.

I was asking how, without the context of Earth-based constellations as a reference point to identify exactly what star you happened to be looking at, how you'd be able to identify where you were at a random point in the galaxy by looking at the stars with just the naked eye.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Aatrek posted:

That's actually a semi-sequel to Atlantis's "Before I Sleep", where it's suggested that the Lantean scientist Janus - who created the Atlantis-based Time Jumper (which gets destroyed and sinks to the ocean floor when Weir is 10,000 years in the past) - will later follow up on his time-travel research in the Milky Way. The second, Milky Way-constructed Time Jumper shows up then in "Good to be King", and gets used in a big way later in the season.

Those kinds of little crossovers are why I'm taking my gf through the show in run order, switching discs around SGA 1-3/SG-1 8-10; those little things, like seeing how SG-1 gets the ZPM for the Daedalus to bring to Atlantis during The Siege, seeing the jumper in It's Good to Be King, etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Idran posted:

That's what I was wondering too. I mean sure, if you were dropped on Alpha Centauri or something, there'd probably be enough similarity to take a guess. But if you could've been anywhere in the galaxy, could you even identify a single specific star without either a general sky position or the context of a constellation with the naked eye? Honest question since you're an astronomer, JetsGuy.

Surely not "anywhere in the galaxy"

The furthest star you can see in our galaxy with the naked eye is about 4,000 light years away. The galaxy is about 100,000 light years across.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 11, 2013

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Surely not "anywhere in the galaxy"

The furthest star you can see in our galaxy with the naked eye is about 4,000 light years away. The galaxy is about 100,000 light years across.

Oh haha, right, I didn't even think about that aspect.

And honestly I wasn't asking to nitpick, I was just wondering if there was something I wasn't realizing that'd make it possible, since it'd be pretty cool if so. A neat (if useless) skill, that'd be.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Even if some of the same stars visible from earth were visible on the planet you were on, how would you recognize them? If you were able to recognize a constellation, that would be amazing and might tell you a lot, but otherwise, you don't even know which way is "north" on this planet, much less which way would be north from earth perspective. All of the stars would be difference brightness's to the naked eye because they are difference distances, so some of the same stars may not look the same. even if you had an advanced telescope, you could expect stars to have different red-shifts than normal, which could make them harder to identify. Although if you could positively identify a few stars, using red-shift differentials could (possibly?) help you position yourself if you didn't have points far enough apart for triangulation...

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

All the way back in the movie they managed to figure out where their MALP was (even with it being on the other side of the known universe in another galaxy a planet very close to earth), without it even leaving the pyramid the stargate was in :v:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheeze posted:

All the way back in the movie they managed to figure out where their MALP was (even with it being on the other side of the known universe in another galaxy a planet very close to earth), without it even leaving the pyramid the stargate was in :v:

On a 2D screen too. You can't think too hard about the science in Stargate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatekeeper posted:

Rewatching Atlantis, just finished McKay and Mrs. Miller. I never noticed it before, but parallel-universe McKay is totally doing the Terminator time-travel pose when he arrives in this reality.

Of course he is, if you were about to use an experimental travel device you'd do the same thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Idran posted:

Actually, within a sphere of about 50 lightyears from Earth anywhere from a few to nearly all of the constellations would be recognizable. If you got dropped on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri the sky would look virtually identical, only the very closest stars would be significantly shifted. You can see for yourself with a free astronomy program like Celestia.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Actually, within a sphere of about 50 lightyears from Earth anywhere from a few to nearly all of the constellations would be recognizable. If you got dropped on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri the sky would look virtually identical, only the very closest stars would be significantly shifted. You can see for yourself with a free astronomy program like Celestia.

This is pretty amusing related anecdote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6jSfRuptY

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

IRQ posted:

On a 2D screen too. You can't think too hard about the science in Stargate.

It is based on the Ancient Aliens myth, which The History and Science channel seem to think is legit.

I have a question, I skipped S5E13 of Atlantis as soon as I discovered it was a clip show, did I miss anything?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
nah. episode 13 was the bye week. Last 5 mins Woolsey steps up and becomes Mr Atlantis instead of Mr IOA

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

In the last 20 seconds of Atlantis some chick shows up to hit on Ronin and pretends like we should know her, who is she?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Mrens posted:

In the last 20 seconds of Atlantis some chick shows up to hit on Ronin and pretends like we should know her, who is she?

She was one of the gateroom techs seen throughout s5, then she saved Ronan from Michael's hybrids with some kickboxing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

McSpanky posted:

This is largely the point I was trying to make. Yes, for those of you asking, if you're pretty much anywhere in the galaxy, the constellations would look completely different which would make identifying even individual stars by eye almost impossible without magic space GPS.

The reason I brought it up is it is a gradual process due to the three dimensional nature of constellations.

At a rudimentary level you may find out you're very close to Earth at the very minimum. If you're a bit away from Earth you may see some recognizable ones.

I guess just my thought, in desperation, would be a curiosity as to how fat away I might be.

In the case I look up and see the exact same constellations, I might even time the sidereal day on the "ice planet". The fact that the constellations matched and that a sidereal day would the exact same would lead me to the conclusion I was on Earth. Why? Because it would be insanely unlikely that I not only am in a planet close enough to Earth to have the same stars, but the same sidereal day too? The universe would literally have to hate me.

Not tht I know what they'd do with the short range radios. Maybe try to call McMurdo?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
MacGyver should have built a Radio Telescope out of bubblegum wrappers and paper clips so Carter could use pulsar mapping to get a fix on their location. God I am so loving sick of all the lazy writing in sci-fi shows.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

JetsGuy posted:

Not tht I know what they'd do with the short range radios. Maybe try to call McMurdo?

Well if you knew you were on Earth, you'd immediate guess why dialing Earth wasn't working for you. Then you'd just furiously dial some other world.

Of course, if the show only took place 30 years in the future, the military might finally have modernized GPS equipment, including chips in the radios. While useless 99.9% of the time to Stargate teams, it would be something of a giveaway in this case.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PittTheElder posted:

Well if you knew you were on Earth, you'd immediate guess why dialing Earth wasn't working for you. Then you'd just furiously dial some other world.

Of course, if the show only took place 30 years in the future, the military might finally have modernized GPS equipment, including chips in the radios. While useless 99.9% of the time to Stargate teams, it would be something of a giveaway in this case.

Not really...

O'NEILL
"What if we're on Earth?"

CARTER
"We can't be on Earth, the GPS isn't getting a signal."

PAN UP to show the thick ice walls and how far away the surface is above.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Not so fast sir. The majority of the signal loss from EM signals on that band are actually in the transition between the air and whatever other medium we're talking about. The water itself tends not to be such a huge problem; after all, the atmosphere is loaded with water. One of the reasons all the GNSS systems use that band is because water doesn't respond to it. Depending on how solid the wall of ice actually was, it might only need to do two transitions, which would make your signals easily trackable. If your tracking loops start up at all, that's all the evidence you need.

Also, Carter climbs to the surface. :eng101:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Okay, the GPS device itself doesn't work in the extreme cold. Happy? :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Okay, the GPS device itself doesn't work in the extreme cold. Happy? :colbert:

It is just a tv show and you should really just relax. LA LA LA

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

PittTheElder posted:

Not so fast sir. The majority of the signal loss from EM signals on that band are actually in the transition between the air and whatever other medium we're talking about. The water itself tends not to be such a huge problem; after all, the atmosphere is loaded with water. One of the reasons all the GNSS systems use that band is because water doesn't respond to it. Depending on how solid the wall of ice actually was, it might only need to do two transitions, which would make your signals easily trackable. If your tracking loops start up at all, that's all the evidence you need.

Also, Carter climbs to the surface. :eng101:

Transition through the damaged gate causes a localized EMP that fries all their equiptment.

[TECHNOBABBLE] fulfills [PLOT REQUIREMENT], now watch me shoot this alien.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Budget dictated that people who go off world don't need the GPS locators. You know how expensive that Spacegate is to keep on?

For the same reason, they cut anything that isn't a dessert from the mess hall's menu.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Met posted:

For the same reason, they cut anything that isn't a dessert from the mess hall's menu.

This gave me a laugh. I so want to eat at their mess hall.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Don't they usually have some idea of where they are going before they even send the MALP through?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I don't think so.

Pretty sure they just have a big list of gate addresses from that old gate traveller guy and then from Jacks brain.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Met posted:

Budget dictated that people who go off world don't need the GPS locators. You know how expensive that Spacegate is to keep on?

This would be the real reason they wouldn't have such things.

I was originally trying to make a bad joke about how outdated military GPS receivers are, that's all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MrBling posted:

I don't think so.

Pretty sure they just have a big list of gate addresses from that old gate traveller guy and then from Jacks brain.

They had the list from Abydos and the list from the Ancient repository.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

SpookyLizard posted:

Don't they usually have some idea of where they are going before they even send the MALP through?

Surely they don't risk losing an expensive MALP without first doing a rudimentary check if anything is even materializing at the other end. Therefore, I like to think that there's a guy at SGC whose job is to dial potential gates all night long. If a gate address works, he saunters down to the gate room, puts a rubber band around a dollar store walkie talkie, chucks it through the gate, and then checks a box on a clipboard if it squawks. On his way back up the stairs, he stops by the giant closet full of walkie talkies and batteries to grab another armful.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

alg posted:

The episode with the Mongols and the kid that Carter didn't want to explode were both pretty lovely but everything else has been fun. Do they ever visit civilizations that are technologically advanced?
Surprisingly, the Mongol episode was written by the same person who wrote the racist TNG episode that the cast members hated.

alg posted:

I picked up this series on Amazon when it was on sale last week for $50. I'm enjoying it as a 90s cheesy adventure show. As a trekkie, it's pretty weird to see a team just go from planet to planet loving poo poo up instead of observing a Prime Directive.
Honestly, I think it is great when it plays up the cheese. Window of Opportunity and The Game have to be some of the most fun episodes of Stargate franchise especially since one of them references Civilization.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 15, 2013

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Luigi Thirty posted:

They had the list from Abydos and the list from the Ancient repository.

And later in the show they figure out how to grab past addresses from off world DHDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

MadScientistWorking posted:

Surprisingly, the Mongol episode was written by the same person who wrote the racist TNG episode that the cast members hated.

To be fair, a lot of the blame for the Trek episode really belongs to the director. The writer didn't say "make 'em all black" -- that was a decision made by the director. If they were white, or ethnically diverse, it would have just been another episode.