Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Agreed posted:

Kinda want to stick to what I know, and I know that this Corsair K60 is totally awesome. Are the keycaps on the K95 different? Or just new, and thus not much contact with skin oils yet? I can get a pretty good sense of how it might feel initially by just feeling the difference between the commonly used typing keys and the less commonly used function keys - the typing keys have Dogen's magical skin oils on them, which apparently makes for a great set of keycaps, while apprently he wasn't a big fan of the function keys and as a result they're still pretty unused and have a distinctly different feel to them.

Given that I know I like this and I don't intend to use PS/2, this has 20-key rollover anti-ghosting while the keyboard you linked has 6-key tops via USB... And that I want the macro keys for productivity purposes, I think I'll go with the K95. If I find that it's horrible or something, I'll return it. Not a huge issue, yeah?

Edit: And ordered, picked two-day shipping with rush processing (have to get this K60 boxed and sent in for RMA, don't want the prepaid label to croak on me).

Don't get me wrong. It's a good board, and the macro bank is absolutely fantastic, not to mention the board looks simply outstanding in front of a gaming rig. I've just used so many "gaming" mechanical keyboards, and I've found that standard mechs seem to work better for me. The only "gaming" mech that I've really fallen in love with was the SteelSeries 6GV2 Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I definitely appreciate the recommendation, though - just trying to save me what you felt was some hassle, nothing at all wrong with that.

And to clarify my earlier post, I don't mean the depressed keys feel different, obviously they do since the whole raison d'etre of the K70 was because the shitstorm over the K60 having dome switches on the Esc-F12 and control group keys - I mean the keycaps are basically virgin and feel newer. Kind of like the less shiny keys on the rest of the board feel. I'm okay with that and over time I figure my fingers will soften the keycaps or however that works if it is an issue; if I find it to be a serious thing I just can't put up with, I guess I'm out shipping (though maybe not, Newegg is really good about that kind of thing) and the restocking fee. But it is very well reviewed by people who have owned the K60 or K70, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll love it :)

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Agreed posted:

I definitely appreciate the recommendation, though - just trying to save me what you felt was some hassle, nothing at all wrong with that.

And to clarify my earlier post, I don't mean the depressed keys feel different, obviously they do since the whole raison d'etre of the K70 was because the shitstorm over the K60 having dome switches on the Esc-F12 and control group keys - I mean the keycaps are basically virgin and feel newer. Kind of like the less shiny keys on the rest of the board feel. I'm okay with that and over time I figure my fingers will soften the keycaps or however that works if it is an issue; if I find it to be a serious thing I just can't put up with, I guess I'm out shipping (though maybe not, Newegg is really good about that kind of thing) and the restocking fee. But it is very well reviewed by people who have owned the K60 or K70, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll love it :)

To be fair, the keycap thing is pretty much my only gripe. You'll probably love the board. I just still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Razer BlackWidow. Ugh. That thing is utter garbage.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Dogen posted:

Why didn't you pick up a K95? If you got the 70 from amazon or somewhere you could probably return and buy a 95 if you really need the macro keys...

The K95 had a lot of negative reviews, so I decided on macro mouse+k70 instead. I also wanted more deskspace so smaller keyboard + mouse with macros seemed like the optimal configuration for me. If a good macro mouse didn't exist, I would have definitely gone K95.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 10, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

isomerc posted:

To be fair, the keycap thing is pretty much my only gripe. You'll probably love the board. I just still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Razer BlackWidow. Ugh. That thing is utter garbage.

I have no idea how Razer stays in business. Inertia? I mean I have a couple of Razer gaming mice that I got for $5 a piece on Woot-offs and a Razer headset that was under $30 and worked fine for making calls nationally or internationally, but at the full price expected for those units I would have been amazingly disappointed. They're crap compared to alternatives. What's the deal, there?

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Agreed posted:

I have no idea how Razer stays in business. Inertia? I mean I have a couple of Razer gaming mice that I got for $5 a piece on Woot-offs and a Razer headset that was under $30 and worked fine for making calls nationally or internationally, but at the full price expected for those units I would have been amazingly disappointed. They're crap compared to alternatives. What's the deal, there?

Black and green is their bread and butter, man. Never underestimate the desire of pubescent males to want to look like 1337 h@x0rs. In all fairness, I have the Razer Blackshark headset, which is absolutely phenomenal post-mod. Also, their Mamba mouse is supposedly incredibly nice. I've been a big fan of Steelseries gear lately though. SS is all about function, and it seems like they really dont care for the bells-and-whistles that Razer is known for. SS kind of embodies the "elegance in simplicity" design philosophy that I find really appealing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Mamba is the only mouse I could find with a charging cradle that doesn't look like a Decepticon testicle.

I needed a cradle.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The Mamba is the only mouse I could find with a charging cradle that doesn't look like a Decepticon testicle.

I needed a cradle.

Its little brother, the "deathadder," which is the stupidest name ever, is kind of a pain in the rear end. The click distance is way too big, so clicking becomes laborious, but I've heard they addressed that with the Mamba.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The products I have are all in the Carcharias series, two mice and one headset. They're functional if not extraordinary and as mentioned both mice were under $13 shipped, the headset was super cheap. I will say this, it has reasonable sound quality, I appreciated the in-line volume pot and mic mute for conference calls etc., and you can literally wear them for a full work day without issues because they're so comfortable and light with excellent air permeability.

But everything in the middle seems like total garbage. Compare that to a product stack like Corsair has where in each category of stuff they make (or, rather, put their name on), it's worth the money, and I would argue that DOES extend down to the Builder series of power supplies because they're cheap as hell and do a lot better than Deer or Foxconn oems. They don't pay CWT to use the good parts so their voltage regulation under extreme circumstances blows, but they are still A Solid Option in the price range. Same deal with their cases, their cooling. You pay more, you get more, but not one of them is just a piece of poo poo. People speak well of their speakers (though as someone who works with audio professionally, forgive the brief hypocrisy as in recovery from surgery I've temporarily been using a Logitech Zsomething-something 2.1 cheapo multimedia set and they do the job fine for what they are, ALL MULTIMEDIA SPEAKERS ARE A WASTE OF CASH :saddowns:). And of course their RAM, from value to super high performance.

I don't think the same can be said for Razer at all, they seem to have a product stack that has a lot of bloat/garbage that doesn't really fill a particular need.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 10, 2013

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I think razor's edge is that for whatever reason, they're the only mechanical/gaming keyboards I ever see in a lot of stores. Wal mart and best buy here ONLY had razor keyboards when I went to test them out. I was talking to a friend about the mechanical I was planning to get, and he said, "The razor one at best buy? Isn't that like $100?". So I think they're riding on "gamer" name recognition and the fact that many brick and mortar don't stock alternatives.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Agreed posted:

I don't think the same can be said for Razer at all, they seem to have a product stack that has a lot of bloat/garbage that doesn't really fill a particular need.

I really don't think this could be stated any better.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
This may be mechanical keyboard heresy, but does anybody make one with a trackpoint as well? I've gotten far too used to my Thinkpad and when I'm on my desktop lately, I hate to leave the keys to reach for the mouse only to come right back to the keyboard. Obviously I'd still use a proper mouse for gaming, but for quickly changing window focus before typing again, I love the trackpoint.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Peanut3141 posted:

This may be mechanical keyboard heresy, but does anybody make one with a trackpoint as well? I've gotten far too used to my Thinkpad and when I'm on my desktop lately, I hate to leave the keys to reach for the mouse only to come right back to the keyboard. Obviously I'd still use a proper mouse for gaming, but for quickly changing window focus before typing again, I love the trackpoint.

Unicomp makes the Endurapro, but unfortunatley it's a copy of a much older version of the Trackpoint and it's not very good.

If you ever find one, post it up, because I also love trackpoints and would love a mechanical with one that doesn't require hacking stuff to pieces.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Peanut3141 posted:

Yeah, Lenovo makes a couple of boards like that, they're essentially clones of the Thinkpad keyboards. Check the accessories section of their site. Nothing current has an integrated numpad, but legacy models are still available if you poke around on Amazon etc.

Now, if you meant you're hunting for a trackpoint trackpoint keyboard with mechanical switches, that's mostly a desperate and hopeless quest unless your motherboard is ancient or has multiple PS/2 ports. There was an interesting product concept called "guru board" a couple of years back, but it's vaporware as far as I know. Unicomp still sells buckling-spring trackpoint keyboards, but those come with their own unique noise and feel (separate from Cherry/Alps/etc).

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

swarthmeister posted:

Yeah, Lenovo makes a couple of boards like that, they're essentially clones of the Thinkpad keyboards. Check the accessories section of their site. Nothing current has an integrated numpad, but legacy models are still available if you poke around on Amazon etc.

Now, if you meant you're hunting for a trackpoint trackpoint keyboard with mechanical switches, that's mostly a desperate and hopeless quest unless your motherboard is ancient or has multiple PS/2 ports. There was an interesting product concept called "guru board" a couple of years back, but it's vaporware as far as I know. Unicomp still sells buckling-spring trackpoint keyboards, but those come with their own unique noise and feel (separate from Cherry/Alps/etc).

Yes, I've seen the Thinkpad keyboards someone cut off the laptop and then attached to a USB cable (ok, so maybe they just look like someone did that). I'm not interested in those.

I'm looking for mechanical switches. If I'm going to spend $100 on a keyboard, I should be able to get exactly what I want, right? For me that means a trackpoint. Maybe someone needs to kickstart this poo poo. I'd be contributor #1.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I think razor's edge is that for whatever reason, they're the only mechanical/gaming keyboards I ever see in a lot of stores. Wal mart and best buy here ONLY had razor keyboards when I went to test them out. I was talking to a friend about the mechanical I was planning to get, and he said, "The razor one at best buy? Isn't that like $100?". So I think they're riding on "gamer" name recognition and the fact that many brick and mortar don't stock alternatives.

I wouldn't trust Razer's keyboards with a ten foot pole. Even by some of their mice, the quality is hit or miss for sure. First Razer mouse I had lasted me four years until the back button started to register twice. Second Razer mouse had that same issue within a few months.

I have the Carcharias headset like Agreed does as well, but the quality of them is a bit shoddy. Sometimes I'll hear the sound perfectly, and sometimes I'll have to wiggle and adjust them to hear through them better, as if a wire needs to be in the right position.

What I've read on Razer's keyboards, they don't sound much better and the other mechanical boards I've used seem like better ones for your buck anyway. I know Corsair makes an excellent gaming keyboard with mechanical keys.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Does anyone know anything about the aluminum Shine 3's? I'm thinking about getting one (because I hate my wallet obviously). It looks like according to this link they'll be limited to 999.

The aluminum version is referred to as the Year of the Snake model right? Want to make sure before I pre-order at NCIX: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=85563&vpn=DK9008Shine3-YOS%20Red&manufacture=Ducky Also is that the only place to pre-order them from?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Wowlyyshiiit, this thing is a beast of a keyboard. God drat, wow. Backlit keys are really cool, although I do understand what you meant by them feeling different - it's a difference in kind, not a difference in degree compared to the K60, but if the K70 is also backlit I'm guessing this is just the new way they do things. It does not give me personally the nails-on-a-chalkboard feeling you described, and it will get softer over time.

Man, this is a shitload of keyboard in front of me. Kind of daunting. Whole bank of macro keys, custom lighting profiles, custom macro profiles, wow. 20-key rollover via USB easy peasy, types just as well (with a little bit more tactile feedback, probably just because it's brand new and these keys haven't even hit a thousand strokes each, let alone into the hundreds of thousands to millions that keyboards can get over a few years of use).

I am enjoying every word that I type. I just want to type things. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. Haha, rock and roll.

I don't want to make a rash judgment here, but as my second mechanical keyboard in the same family, I think I can conservatively say that I loving love this keyboard so much that I want to make my marriage polygamous and marry it :allears:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Black or Silver k70?

(ps I hate you all, for convincing me to upgrade from a k60)

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Is the KBtalKing Pro any good?
I've been looking for a bluetooth mechanical keyboard and this is pretty much the only one I have found.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

I don't want to make a rash judgment here, but as my second mechanical keyboard in the same family, I think I can conservatively say that I loving love this keyboard so much that I want to make my marriage polygamous and marry it :allears:
I thought you were marrying Noctua?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Calidus posted:

Black or Silver k70?

(ps I hate you all, for convincing me to upgrade from a k60)

I went silver so all the LEDs on my desk would be matching blue but otherwise I would've gone black tbh

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Tunga posted:

I thought you were marrying Noctua?

Harem?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

These non-clicky keys on the K70 make plenty of click, so what do the clicky kind do? Do they click twice, from pressing and then hitting the base? Or do most people not type as hard as I do?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Aphrodite posted:

These non-clicky keys on the K70 make plenty of click, so what do the clicky kind do? Do they click twice, from pressing and then hitting the base? Or do most people not type as hard as I do?

Well that's the noise of the key hitting the plate - of you bottoming out. Tactile keys have a 'bump' that you can feel when the key actuates. Browns have the bump with no additional noise, blues make a click when you hit the bump.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dogen posted:

Well that's the noise of the key hitting the plate - of you bottoming out. Tactile keys have a 'bump' that you can feel when the key actuates. Browns have the bump with no additional noise, blues make a click when you hit the bump.

Right, so is that 2 clicks with a blue then? Bump, then bottom?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Right, so is that 2 clicks with a blue then? Bump, then bottom?

From what I've gleaned here in the thread, yeah, and bottoming out isn't really any less likely with tactile feedback because once the actuation point is reached the resistance drops considerably. I'm not sure how that works, exactly, but that was what I was told by others who have used more than just the (delightful) cherry reds.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

theperminator posted:

I've been looking for a bluetooth mechanical keyboard and this is pretty much the only one I have found.

I haven't used one or read any reviews, but KBTalking is a company that grew from a keyboard forum (Korean, I think, but I may be mistaken), so I'd expect them to be really strict about making quality items. Also expensive!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Any recommendations for a Windows 7 HTPC setup? Preferably something that also has a touchpad or something.

Oh, and is there anything like that Phantom lapboard where I can easily use a mouse and keyboard for leaning back on a couch and still enjoying my multiplayer PC FPS games?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Lenovo just came out with a wireless trackpoint keyboard. It's bluetooth, though.

A friend of mine has the Logitech couch mouse and claims that it 'suits his needs' in terms of mousing around on an armrest or pillow. Haven't tried it myself, though. It's just a wireless mouse with a smooth bottom and some tweaks to the sensor, apparently.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
This is also for my girlfriend and so we're looking for something with a touchpad. Trackpoints ain't her style :(

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

theperminator posted:

I own a KBT Race and I had only one problem with it when it first arrived. The X key was swapped with a K key. I emailed the retailer (MechanicalKeyboards) and they sent me a new one pretty quickly.

Other than that, the keyboard was great but was quickly replaced by the K70 once I got it. The K70 is just a masterpiece.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

fookolt posted:

This is also for my girlfriend and so we're looking for something with a touchpad. Trackpoints ain't her style :(

Logitech k400 is probably the most obvious choice, then.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

theperminator posted:

I've got a KBT Race I'm using both at home for gaming and at work for development, and it's really great. I also got a few good reviews about the Poker, so if their Pro is on par in terms of quality, it's a fine piece of keyboard.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Skiant posted:

I've got a KBT Race I'm using both at home for gaming and at work for development, and it's really great. I also got a few good reviews about the Poker, so if their Pro is on par in terms of quality, it's a fine piece of keyboard.

I just received my Poker II the other day and am MORE than satisfied with it. I've got a Corsair K95 at my gaming machine at home and a Steelseries 6GV2 Red at my office, but I end up toting my Poker (Blue) back and forth every day. It's everything I could want in a keyboard and I love it more than my family.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I've joined the red switch crew with a CM Stealth. Not much to say about it as far as build; it's as nice as my old branded Quickfire in blue. The red backplate is a nice touch and I still like the matte finish they use on their cases.

As much as I like having a loud keyboard the stiff breaking point of blues started bothering me. Being able to type with a super light touch on the reds is fantastic when I'm typing 10k+ words. I also use felt tips, fountain pens and 2B pencils because I like writing with a soft touch so maybe I'm just crazy/have babby fingers though.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 13, 2013

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Internet Friend posted:

I've joined the red switch crew with a CM Stealth. Not much to say about it as far as build; it's as nice as my old branded Quickfire in blue. The red backplate is a nice touch and I still like the matte finish they use on their cases.

As much as I like having a loud keyboard the stiff breaking point of blues started bothering me. Being able to type with a super light touch on the reds is fantastic when I'm typing 10k+ words. I also use felt tips, fountain pens and 2B pencils because I like writing with a soft touch so maybe I'm just crazy/have babby fingers though.

Yeah the blues can be a bit irritating. I'm currently using blues, but I have a red board on standby to combat typing fatigue. Being a web developer, I really like using blues at work. The tactile response as helps my keying accuracy, and thus leads to less bugs.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe
After a particularly long stretch of work typing, I realized my palms were starting to hurt, for the first time I can remember. I just lay them on a hard-rear end wooden table.

Is there a specific wrist rest that will work well with a G110? I don't want to use that plastic lovely one that came with it. I think I may have lost it somewhere anyway. Since the lower end of the keyboard isn't perfectly straight I figured I'd at least ask if there was one that fit well with it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I thought the standard ergo advice is to not let your wrists touch anything because they shouldn't be bent like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Cream_Filling posted:

I thought the standard ergo advice is to not let your wrists touch anything because they shouldn't be bent like that.

Was it? People have told me about the 'give your forearms plenty of space to lie down on the desk' too. Conflicting info I guess.

• Locked thread