Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Ok so I re-downloaded this and I haven't played multi in like a year and I remember the servers being total poo poo.

Servers are working just fine now but now I feel like I'm semi-gibbled and can really only compete in bronze or silver.

So I'm saving my credits and buying arsenal packs because well my level 20 human engineer with Overload/Incinerate/Combat drones with 1 geth pulse rifle is so much better than the other classes I have open to me.

Should I be doing something different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok so I re-downloaded this and I haven't played multi in like a year and I remember the servers being total poo poo.

Servers are working just fine now but now I feel like I'm semi-gibbled and can really only compete in bronze or silver.

So I'm saving my credits and buying arsenal packs because well my level 20 human engineer with Overload/Incinerate/Combat drones with 1 geth pulse rifle is so much better than the other classes I have open to me.

Should I be doing something different?

There's a separate ME3 Multiplayer thread where people will probably reply more in-depth and more quickly, but in a nutshell, there's been a lot of power creep since the release of the game, and if you're just starting out, you'll be missing a lot of the top-tied equipment and characters the game is balanced around (especially against Collectors. Gold Collectors can be really, really tough).

That said, some of the starting stuff is still pretty drat good. Human Engineer in particular is great as long as you keep your cooldown close to 200% so you can reliably do fire explosions with Incinerate -> Overload combos. Ideally you'll be running the class with a Hurricane but you probably won't have that yet. Geth Pulse Rifle isn't really an amazing gun, but then most ARs that are not the Harrier or the Lancer are pretty underwhelming.

That said, Gold is absolutely viable even if you don't have "perfect" gear or characters, it's just that you need to be a bit more careful, defensive, and it'll become a bit more of a chore because you'll just need really long to take some enemies, especially bosses, down. But unless the rest of your team is utterly useless so you'll have to essentially solo the game, it's absolutely viable to compete with a level 20 starting character and lovely guns, especially with caster characters like the Human Engineer or the Human Adept.

Pop in to the MP thread and I'm sure Goons will be willing to drag you through Gold so you can farm some credits and also give you advice on builds and loadouts if you post your MP manifest.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The starting human characters are fine for Gold, and you won't need any fancy ultra rares to do well there. Just a few uncommon and rare unlocks and you'll be set.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
ME2 question time! I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of the game, as I just played the whole section where you control Joker, the crew of the Normandy 2 is abducted, and Shepard is urged to go after them. The problem is that I previously did all the loyalty missions and THEN the one where you get Legion, and I just read in the IGN guide that if you choose to do his loyalty mission in between the crew abduction and going to save them, you'll save a lot less. I remember having a brief conversation with EDI and Joker before Shepard and co. left and the Collectors showed up, but I'm not sure if an option to delay that whole part was available. I want to reload my save before all that, activate Legion, and do his mission before the crew abduction. Is that possible, or am I kind of screwed in that regard?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Behonkiss posted:

ME2 question time! I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of the game, as I just played the whole section where you control Joker, the crew of the Normandy 2 is abducted, and Shepard is urged to go after them. The problem is that I previously did all the loyalty missions and THEN the one where you get Legion, and I just read in the IGN guide that if you choose to do his loyalty mission in between the crew abduction and going to save them, you'll save a lot less. I remember having a brief conversation with EDI and Joker before Shepard and co. left and the Collectors showed up, but I'm not sure if an option to delay that whole part was available. I want to reload my save before all that, activate Legion, and do his mission before the crew abduction. Is that possible, or am I kind of screwed in that regard?
Yes, if you do as you say, go back and activate Legion before touching the galaxy map, everything will be fine.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Behonkiss posted:

That's a convoluted section of the game, and you are kind of screwed, so going back to a previous save may be your best bet. Here's how things go in my standard playthrough of ME2:

- Starting from the Collector ship, I finish all Loyalty Missions except Tali's and, obviously, Legion's.
- Do the Reaper IFF mission.
- Activate Legion and immediately have my first conversation with him.
- Do Tali's loyalty mission, taking Legion along because it's funny.
- Go talk to Legion, who will give me his loyalty mission.
- Do Legion's loyalty mission, taking Tali along so that they can AI Hack all day, every day.
- Collectors show up and abduct the crew
- Immediately launch the suicide mission.

I've done this exact sequence three or four times, moving different Shepards through the trilogy, and it always results in me saving everyone in the crew. What I think happens is that when you do the Reaper IFF mission, you're given one more mission before the abduction hits. But Legion's loyalty mission popping up resests that, and you get a second mission. I just did this sequence last night in my "gently caress, I guess I should see what happens if I keep Alenko alive" Shepard I'm playing through, and I saved everyone.

The key is that once the abductions happen, you can not complete another mission or assignment. To save everyone, you need to leave for the suicide mission right then and there.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Which ending is, per the game's code, the Paragon ending? I thought I remembered somebody stating that Destroy is the "good" ending despite it being color-coded as red.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Which one do you think fits better?

EDIT: Not being pithy, I've seen good arguments for 'both' and I think they're fairly open to interpretation in that regard.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Which one do you think fits better?

EDIT: Not being pithy, I've seen good arguments for 'both' and I think they're fairly open to interpretation in that regard.
I'm not referring to what I interpret as the paragon choice. I'm talking about which is actually programmed as the paragon choice.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm not referring to what I interpret as the paragon choice. I'm talking about which is actually programmed as the paragon choice.

There isn't one. The game files have them labeled as such: http://oi41.tinypic.com/2edp2xc.jpg (link to image just in case someone hasn't seen it yet.)

"End03_LondonBlue, End03_LondonBlueBad, End03_LondonBlueGood, End03_LondonGreen, End03_LondonGreenGood, etc."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

There isn't one. That's a major part of why I asked. The intent of the endings was to encourage speculation and discussion, by the writer's own admission, so I think it was an intentional choice.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Crows Turn Off posted:

No idea how they're programmed or how the devs intended them. I think the closest thing we got are the filenames of the ending videos which are literally labeled "[ending]_red.bik", "[ending]_blue.bik" and "[ending]_green.bik", for whatever that's worth.

Also, Destroy is colored red but represented by Anderson, Control is colored blue but represented by TIM.

Maybe it's intentionally vague, maybe they didn't think it through and didn't know how to clearly define it themselves.
There certainly is no clear consensus among fans as to which is more representative of Paragon / Renegade and there are good arguments to be made for both alignments for either ending.

E: Kinda beaten.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

There isn't one. That's a major part of why I asked. The intent of the endings was to encourage speculation and discussion, by the writer's own admission, so I think it was an intentional choice.

Well, they definitely succeeded at that.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

There isn't one. The game files have them labeled as such: http://oi41.tinypic.com/2edp2xc.jpg (link to image just in case someone hasn't seen it yet.)

"End03_LondonBlue, End03_LondonBlueBad, End03_LondonBlueGood, End03_LondonGreen, End03_LondonGreenGood, etc."

I think that just refers to the quality of the ending. "LondonBlueGood" means no damage to Earth, "LondonBlueBad" means Earth is severely damaged, etc. It doesn't mean Control is better than Synthesis.

I recall that speculation when ME3 was released was that the 'colors' were intentionally reversed, with red being the Paragon option and blue being Renegade, if for no other reason than Shepard 'sees' Anderson and TIM making their choice.

There is always a discussion in RPGs about, if there are multiple endings, whether the one that is most difficult to achieve (for whatever reason - having enough meta-game knowledge to make the right choices, having to do lots of side missions, etc.) is the "best one." ME3 is different because if you think Shepard lives in the 'breathe' scene, then Destroy with lots of War Assets is the most difficult to achieve. If you think Shepard dies no matter what, then it's Synthesis.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

monster on a stick posted:

I think that just refers to the quality of the ending.

Yeah, that was the point; there is no coded designation of "Paragon" or "Renegade" or even "creepy forced singularity."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Paragon and Renegade die with Anderson and TIM. The general idea seems to be that when Shepard meets the Catalyst, they are 'beyond good and evil'.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Also, if you select Control and were playing a Renegade Shepard, they seem to be batshit insane with their ranting about leading an unstoppable army and "keeping a watchful eye" over the survivors. It's a pretty Renegade ending, maybe more so than killing off the Council back in ME1 so you could have an all-human one. I think I tried that ending once and :gonk: went back and chose something else.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, the control ending especially is different depending on if Shepard is renegade or paragon. I don't think the other endings are affected by that (aside from being affected by what choices you made to get to that point, of course).

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Going to replay ME1 again, never finished it. I remember getting bored by so many loving driving stuff. Any tips for stuff to skip to just get on with the series? 1 is really strange, with all the weapons and stuff.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Going to replay ME1 again, never finished it. I remember getting bored by so many loving driving stuff. Any tips for stuff to skip to just get on with the series? 1 is really strange, with all the weapons and stuff.

Don't get bogged down with loot. Every half an hour or so check you inventory, make sure everything you have equipped is the best, then sell everything as soon as possible. Buy Spectre level gear as soon as you're able.

Similarly, don't feel compelled to complete every sidequest you come across. There's actually not that many in Mass Effect 1 and a lot of them induce tedium.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Sistergodiva posted:

There's really no reason to do all of the sidequests, which involve most of the driving (and the driving on the main storyline planets isn't actually that bad I think).

If you want to streamline your experience, just do the sidequest on Luna, the ones your party members give you (talk to them regularly on the Normandy between missions) and of course do the Bring Down the Sky DLC. Every other sidequest that involves landing on a planet is pretty safe to skip, really.

There is some fun stuff happening in some of them, but they all involve driving around the rather annoying, randomly generated geometry one way or another.

But really, if it's keeping you from going on with the Series, just do the main plot missions and the stuff I've mentioned, you won't be missing out on much and the sidequests become much better in the other games.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Plus you can use the gibbed editor (if you're on PC) to check the flags for the sidequests anyway.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

mastajake posted:

Plus you can use the gibbed editor (if you're on PC) to check the flags for the sidequests anyway.

Can you do that very easily for ME2 quests by the way? I'd like to check off a bunch of stuff for the ME3 import I'll be doing in a bit and I can't really decipher what I need to do in order to make it recognize that I'd met, for example, everyone from the Overlord DLC.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Can you do that very easily for ME2 quests by the way? I'd like to check off a bunch of stuff for the ME3 import I'll be doing in a bit and I can't really decipher what I need to do in order to make it recognize that I'd met, for example, everyone from the Overlord DLC.

Similarly, what do you have to check to keep Wrex alive? I started a new ME2 game (no import) and unchecked all the "Wrex killed..." boxes I could find, while checking the "Wrex recruited" box, but when I got to Tuchanka I was greeted by Wreav :(. I don't want to have to play through ME1 all the way just to keep my buddy alive.

I'm on xbox360 if that makes a difference.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Please note that using the Gibbed editor without knowing exactly what each thing you're checking actually does will ruin your day. I accidentally checked two conflicting boxes with regards to Tali and it wouldn't load the area containing the first face-to-face encounter with her on Haestrom (same area as the Colossus). Took me forever to figure out why it wouldn't load the door lock. :doh:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Which sniper rifle do y'all like? I started with the Valliant and basically it made every other weapon, including the heavies, irrelevant.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Which sniper rifle do y'all like? I started with the Valliant and basically it made every other weapon, including the heavies, irrelevant.
Black Widow all day errday. I stick it on engineers, sentinels, loving everything. I just finished up an insanity sentinel run with the BW equipped. Except vanguard. Because if you're using a gun while vanguarding you're Doing It Wrong.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's a toss up between the Indra and the Viper for my soldier.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Finally got back onto this one for a trilogy-spanning runthrough. After changing from ME1 Engineer to ME2/3 Vanguard, when all of my previous runs were Soldiers all the way through...

Holy gently caress Vanguard is awesomely fun from the get-go this time around. Finally managed to get to 200% reduced cooldowns, meaning I now spend most of my time Charging and Novaing, including up against Atlases and Banshees and the like. It's to the point where I'm using the shotgun (can't remember the name, it's the one you buy from Spectre requisitions) mainly for filler in situations where the shield drop from Nova is too dangerous. Now it feels less like the class of high risk high reward, and more pure fun that I felt Soldier lacked.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vanguard is the 'push buttons, win gaem' class.

Not that any class is difficult in ME3. They just don't feature the same level of spam.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

sassassin posted:

Vanguard is the 'push buttons, win gaem' class.

Until a drat Banshee shows up :argh:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I thought vanguarding was more fun in ME2. The ridiculous amounts of invulnerability frames Charge/Nova spamming gives you doesn't make it a very "high risk" tactic at all.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Valiant is a top-tier choice for a good chunk of the game; if you want to try something different the Viper and arguably the Raptor are solid as well, especially against Cerberus. Once the game starts throwing Brutes and Banshees en masse at you, you're really going to want to move to a Black Widow for its extra punch; or if you have the Citadel DLC you can slap a High-Velocity Barrel on the Valiant instead and that should work too.

Note that squadmates have some weird behaviour with reloading, I don't remember exactly the details but IIRC it made the regular Widow the best sniper rifle for them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Until a drat Banshee shows up :argh:

Nah, banshees just mean you have to add one more button to your "win gaem" formula (just back up a bit before you nova)

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nah, banshees just mean you have to add one more button to your "win gaem" formula (just back up a bit before you nova)

Dodge away at the apex of your Nova. It still hits at the same spot, but now you're safely out of grab reach. In short, play some MP, it'll let you practice combat until it's all muscle memory and destroying two Banshees at a time is a breeze.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Charge/Nova Vanguard is the "get bored after an hour" class

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Charge/Nova Vanguard is the "get bored after an hour" class

I cannot believe this in any way.

edit:

lenoon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 12, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

lenoon posted:

It's because the SP is just piss-easy, especially with the invulnerability frames of Charge and Nova. Vanguarding is still pretty fun on MP, where Gold/Plat provides a decent challenge.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

lenoon posted:

edit:

There's a version of this updated for ME3 novaguarding but I can't seem to find it right now. Charge-Nova-Nova-Charge all the time every time! And you're yelling incoherently like an anime!

http://youtu.be/1MIzrBSCfF0
Multiplayer, but the same principle applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

GenericOverusedName posted:

There's a version of this updated for ME3 novaguarding but I can't seem to find it right now. Charge-Nova-Nova-Charge all the time every time! And you're yelling incoherently like an anime!

http://youtu.be/1MIzrBSCfF0
Multiplayer, but the same principle applies.

:shepface:

• Locked thread