Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Polymerized Cum posted:

That buzzing sound you all hear in the background is the flurry of 787 orders being switched to A350.

I doubt people in charge of that kind of decision are doing this prior to finding out where the fire started.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/07/developing-ethiopian-boeing-787-involved-in-incident-at-london-heathrow/#.UeA-nkHVCYS

Aft galley, perhaps, maybe someone stuck a fork in the microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Yeah this looks more like a galley fire than a battery one. The fire was located at the back of the plane in the cabin. The batteries are located at the front of the plane underneath the cabin.

Also, the plane arrived at LHR at 6:30 am and caught fire at 4:30pm. It should have been totally powered down at that point.

Seph fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 12, 2013

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
So a hole burnt through the top of the fuselage... is that repairable?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

movax posted:

Wind River :negative:

Hey now, those only crash sometimes. Also they wont be making whatever board they are using when (if) the X47 goes into production. So tack another few mill onto the price for DMS.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Seph posted:

Yeah this looks more like a galley fire than a battery one. The fire was located at the back of the plane in the cabin. The batteries are located at the front of the plane underneath the cabin.

Also, the plane arrived at LHR at 6:30 am and caught fire at 4:30pm. It should have been totally powered down at that point.

Unfortunately the words '787' and 'fire' have already been together in a headline :(

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
That fire is right above the FA crew rest area I think, really hope its not electrical related.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Picture of the damage. This looks pretty bad. Anyone have any idea if this is repairable?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Seph posted:

There's also a battery in the aft (adjacent to the galley) for the APU.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Seph posted:

Picture of the damage. This looks pretty bad. Anyone have any idea if this is repairable?

Of course, you just drill out the rivets-oh... that's going to suck to fix.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

ehnus posted:

Maybe flight-rated Bondo kind of like that speed-rated duct tape :v:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I bet Boeing will repair that regardless of cost. They're going to do pretty much anything to avoid a 787 hull loss I imagine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ehnus posted:

I like how the livery is so you know that every angle of it will make sure to frame the "Boeing 787" label.

So how are composite airliners put together?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Looking up some of the fuselage photos, it looks like that rear section might be able to be replaced.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like the burn marks stop before the edge there so thats good I guess?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

So a hole burnt through the top of the fuselage... is that repairable?

normally, yeah, but 787... I'm curious to know what the Structural Repair Manual says. I'm going on course at the end of the year so I'm sure I'll find out.

Though the temptation is to assume it's another fault with the airframe, it's also Ethiopian. I have personally seen the poo poo they fly in and out, and suffice to say they would not be released as serviceable by any reputable airline. Their engineer is one of the nicest guys you could meet, but I wouldn't want to have his job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

THE RED MENACE posted:

There's also a battery in the aft (adjacent to the galley) for the APU.

It isn't in this Boeing document though? http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/arff/arff787.pdf

(page 7)

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Linedance posted:

normally, yeah, but 787... I'm curious to know what the Structural Repair Manual says. I'm going on course at the end of the year so I'm sure I'll find out.

Though the temptation is to assume it's another fault with the airframe, it's also Ethiopian. I have personally seen the poo poo they fly in and out, and suffice to say they would not be released as serviceable by any reputable airline. Their engineer is one of the nicest guys you could meet, but I wouldn't want to have his job.

Yeah, but they only received their first 787 on August 14, 2012, that's not a whole lot of time to get clapped out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ehnus posted:

Yeah, but they only received their first 787 on August 14, 2012, that's not a whole lot of time to get clapped out.

Not to mention the time it was grounded from the battery issue the first time.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

movax posted:

What's the AI IRC?

It's actually #flightsim. Years ago the Ask/Tell thread tried to start a pilot/aviation channel and I was the only one in it for months.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Phy posted:

A team from University of Toronto have won the Igor Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter competition, which includes a $250,000 prize. How'd they do it? With a monstrous yet extremely lightweight quadrotor powered by a dude on the better part of a bicycle frame. How monstrous are we talking? The quadrotor takes up a great deal of an indor soccer park, and the blade speed seems to be on the order of about 10 rpm.

The team website. Great job, folks! Now let's see you flip it through a moving window frame like the GRASP lab manhacks!

Wow!

When I was a kid, I had a book of the early attempts at building flying machines. Balloons, ornithopters, things that looked like a box kite with tumors, you name it. Most of them were designed by men with balls of steel and not much understanding of flight... or engineering.

That quadrotor looks like something straight out of that book. I have the goofiest grin right now.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

But there's a picture of an aft APU battery in the galley? There's no way it caused that fire though.

Edit: wait is that at passenger level or below deck?

Double edit: of course its below deck I'm an idiot

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 12, 2013

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
People at Waddington getting the hairdryer treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLg2iRkOdQ

Leading to an amazing

RAF Statement posted:

The approach of the Typhoon was completely normal. Individuals placing themselves under the flight path should not be surprised if they experience jet wash.

Which I guess is military speak for

:black101: don't stand there dumbshits that's why there's a sign telling you not to :black101:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

THE RED MENACE posted:

But there's a picture of an aft APU battery in the galley? There's no way it caused that fire though.

Edit: wait is that at passenger level or below deck?

Double edit: of course its below deck I'm an idiot

But the aft battery bay is between doors 2 and 3 and the fire was like right above door 4?

The burn marks are where the FA rest area is...

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2013

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

But the aft battery bay is between doors 2 and 3 and the fire was like right above door 4?

Oh I agree that the APU battery didn't cause the fire. I was just pointing out that it exists.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

block51 posted:

X-47B stuff

So when do Jessica Biel and Jaime Foxx show up?

Edit: You know, I'm surprised at how relatively inexpensive it is to get trained up and certified as a private pilot, even including aircraft rental and fuel. The school at a regional airport by me is under $9k for everything needed to gain a private pilot license. $9k all in.

They say the course is designed to be completed full-time in 14 days, which seems like a very short amount of time in which to go from never flying anything to soloing.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 12, 2013

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

KTVU (San Francisco area TV station) fails at journalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sat3m3cj-u8

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular posted:

KTVU (San Francisco area TV station) fails at journalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sat3m3cj-u8

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ahahahahaahah

Probably not even an intern, people are loving moronic.

@KTVU if you feel like throwing poo poo there way. Asked if it was an intern.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

People at Waddington getting the hairdryer treatment

On the subject of which... I was moderately disappointed by Waddington. It was the first airshow I've been to since 1987, ie prior to Ramstein, so I was somewhat expecting a neutered display. But I dunno, just not the same without low level passes, fuel-air explosions, or even a proper vulcan scramble (granted, they stopped in '81 anyway, so didn't see any for the last few years when I went regularly).

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

SybilVimes posted:

On the subject of which... I was moderately disappointed by Waddington. It was the first airshow I've been to since 1987, ie prior to Ramstein, so I was somewhat expecting a neutered display. But I dunno, just not the same without low level passes, fuel-air explosions, or even a proper vulcan scramble (granted, they stopped in '81 anyway, so didn't see any for the last few years when I went regularly).

The problem is that we just don't have the air power these days. I grew up at RAF Finningley where my dad was stationed during the 80's. Airshow day was a full-on affair with a display of every aircraft we had - Lightning, Buccaneer, Jaguar, Phantom, Tornado, Herc, Nimrod, Shack, BoB flight, the Arrows to name but a few and that was just ours, never mind all the international displays.

I went to Waddo the other year and thought it was crap, a display of a Dassault Falcon by some contractor to the RAF (Cobham)? FFS I'm not interested in that!

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

No crew rest on this aircraft. Ethiopia didn't order one.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Insider factory update: The Challenger 350 is doing quite well, first test set of wings are in the box jig, first production set of wings are in the structures jig. There's not more then 50 challenger 300 wings to be completed, iirc and then full production of the 350 will commence. CS series airplanes have had recalls of bombardier employees returning to de-happy-land within the past 3 weeks. Expect CS series airplanes to be in production within the next month. Air Canada is going to have a poo poo as soon as Porter has the CS in operation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible...it made me laugh.
Third person died today. :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
NTSB just blamed an intern for confirming those names.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Confirming is such a weird term to use here, it makes it look like the news called and said "are these comedy names the actual names of the pilots?" and he said "yup".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Confirming is such a weird term to use here, it makes it look like the news called and said "are these comedy names the actual names of the pilots?" and he said "yup".

The intern probably thought it was a prank call from his frat brothers or something.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

One of the great trolls of our time.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ok so wait, did someone tell the news those names, and then they called the NTSB and it was confirmed? Or did they call the NTSB and ask for names and the intern told them those?

If it's the first and they got trolled by two people, that's amazing.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Holy poo poo :laffo:

Someone had to have looked at these before they went on air? "Seems legit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

Ok so wait, did someone tell the news those names, and then they called the NTSB and it was confirmed? Or did they call the NTSB and ask for names and the intern told them those?

If it's the first and they got trolled by two people, that's amazing.

I think someone told the news station those names and the NTSB confirmed.

Also, this is disturbingly cheap: http://www.trade-a-plane.com/listing?id=1654823

Since the 411 was only made for a few years and has had a suspiciously high accident rate maybe they're hard to unload?