Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Uthor posted:

Infinity #4 Skottie Young Variant

Can we just have this as the art to the comic? No "epic" art, just Skottie Young or the people from Power Pack (forgot the artists name) doing a big event in this style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Gatts posted:

Can we just have this as the art to the comic? No "epic" art, just Skottie Young or the people from Power Pack (forgot the artists name) doing a big event in this style.

I would buy a graphic novel of Infinity Gauntlet, redone in this art.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The Infinity Mitten

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Somebody get Marvel on the line. L'il' Marvels is an idea with wheels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Choco1980 posted:

Somebody get Marvel on the line. L'il' Marvels is an idea with wheels.

We already had Mini Marvels and it was awesome. But then they decided to kill it in favor of Super Hero Squad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We already had Mini Marvels and it was awesome. But then they decided to kill it in favor of Super Hero Squad.

Seriously what a dumbass idea. Glad I snagged the Mini Marvels digest, but I wish they had reprinted it in full size. Or OSHC.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Not too bad of a trade off. Though SHS didn't exactly have Mini Marvel's charm it was still a fun series.

Also

Dacap posted:

Kelly Sue DeConnick posted this on Tumblr:

Taken form Hawkeye 11

That is the most wonderful thing I've seen all week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilverSupernova posted:

Not too bad of a trade off. Though SHS didn't exactly have Mini Marvel's charm it was still a fun series.

What?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From Suicide Squad 22

:haw:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Batman and Robin are working their way up a building.

Batman '66 #2

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Batman '66 is the first DC comic I have been excited to read since possibly ever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wow, can't believe they kept in the ol' "guest star popping out the window" gag.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Wow, can't believe they kept in the ol' "guest star popping out the window" gag.

They keep everything, it is glorious.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Uthor posted:

Batman '66 #2

:stare: My girlfriend is actually from Transylvania and refers to it only as "old country"...

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Speaking of Dracula, Billy the Kid has his little secret all figured out:

(Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities and the Orm of Loch Ness #2)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Um...what?

Source unknown, but it does explain Mystiques skull belt.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Say Nothing posted:

Considering the sig on what looks like a panel, that's a custom piece or random web art.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Pretty much everything written by Warren Ellis fits here, but I just read Nextwave, and giggled at this panel because of the reference:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Say Nothing posted:

Um...what?

It's from one of Comics Should Be Good's "The Line It Is Drawn" compilations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gatts posted:

Wasn't that basically the gist of 'a vs. x'? (the lower case is important)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

There's an old saying*.

"The essence of comedy is pain. And there's nothing more painful then a man falling in love with a woman."

So with that in mind let's find a comic romance that is hilarious and involves lots of pain.

Oh,I know. How about the time that the Red Skull BASICALLY created the plot for 50 Shades of Grey.

Our love story begins in Captain America #394. The Skull is tired of being kidnapped by WW2 survivors and superheroes, so he fakes his own death so he can get back to his real business. Financing other subversives and criminals.

So the Skull hires some random dudes who just fly into a maximum security prison and spring one of the worlds most wanted terrorist. (The Skull was paying them a WHOPPING $20,000 each to do so.)

So after this exciting break out, the Grey Skull comes face to face with his new employee and offers to make all her wildest fantasies come true.

Up next, the Courtship of Viper.
*= Okay it's not an old saying. It was said by Rhea Perlman on a retrospective about Cheers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

More Batman '66 #2

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

I like how none of these supervillains are relevant today except for Taskmaster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

I like how none of these supervillains are relevant today except for Taskmaster.

Zola is the main bad guy in Captain America right now. Strucker was in Secret Warriors a lot. Sin helped "kill" Captain America and stuck around through much of Brubaker's run.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Roboto posted:

Sin was relevant in Fear Itself, which wasn't so long ago.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the Watchdogs popped up recently in Scarlet Spider, even.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mister Roboto posted:

I like that there's someone in the Marvel universe named "Gamecock".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know Scourge NEVER makes sense, but I don't see what the Red Skull has to gain by killing really stupid z-list villains.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I really want to know what Number Seven of the Secret Empire's role is. And also what the Secret Empire is.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

RandallODim posted:

I really want to know what Number Seven of the Secret Empire's role is. And also what the Secret Empire is.

If we tell you, we'll have to kill you give you a number.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mister Roboto posted:

This was one of the first comic arcs I owned as a kid, so you can imagine my confusion at who any of those people were.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RandallODim posted:

I believe the Secret Empire showed up in the Daredevil story arc where he's wanted by all those super-gangs.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Wasn't the Secret Empire run by Richard Nixon, or at least a Richard Nixon stand-in?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Starsnostars posted:

Wasn't the Secret Empire run by Richard Nixon, or at least a Richard Nixon stand-in?

Yes and it was an amazing arc.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Starsnostars posted:

Holy poo poo, it was. There have been multiple incarnations, and Not-Nixon led the second one.

Wikipedia posted:

The Secret Empire was defeated by Captain America, Cyclops, the Falcon, and Marvel Girl, and Captain America pursued Number One into the White House. Rather than face capture, Number One unmasked himself then committed suicide. The leader of the Secret Empire was revealed to be a very high U.S. government official attempting a coup d'état. Although his identity and face are never revealed to the reader, it is strongly implied in the dialog that Number One was the President of the United States. The government covered up his guilt and suicide with the help of a double. This led to Captain America giving up his role for a while and taking on the role of Nomad. The story was first published in 1973, when the sitting president was Richard Nixon, embroiled at the time in the Watergate scandal. Writer Steve Englehart specifically intended this issue as a metaphor of the Watergate case and the Nixon era.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mister Roboto posted:

Even when I was a little kid, I thought "Doesn't Taskmaster feel uncomfortable sitting in a room full of lunatics?" But he's a survivor, bro.

Lurdiak posted:

I know Scourge NEVER makes sense, but I don't see what the Red Skull has to gain by killing really stupid z-list villains.
I came to ask this exact question. There was a later issue where Mother Night used her illusion powers to take on the role of The Scourge and hoodwink Captain America, but I have no idea why Skull made it a pet project. The liberal in me wants to say that he sponsored an ultraviolent vigilante for the same reason he sponsored a far-right radical group like the Watchdogs.

RandallODim posted:

The Secret Empire was a secret evil organization. Like all such organizations, it wanted to conquer the world, and like all such organizations, it was eventually revealed to be a subdivision of HYDRA. Besides what the others told you about it being run by Richard Nixon, it showed up again in Amazing Spider-Man, in a story where Spidey had to team up with Moon Knight, Night Thrasher, and the Punisher to save Nova from being turned into a cyborg minion.

To answer your question, Number 7 was the guy in charge of their current cyborg minion, Midnight. (I know, I know.) He used to be Moon Knight's buddy. When Midnight's nurse disabled the failsafe that kept him under control, he crushed the hand Number 7 was using to hold the remote, then swung him headfirst into a wall. It was pretty graphic, and probably still better than death by Red Skull Gas.

The main Secret Empire dudes always wore identical concealing disguises, and fought over who got to be, literally, #1. I say, what's the point of ruling the world if you have to do it in Orko pajamas?

The Question IRL posted:

Oh,I know. How about the time that the Red Skull BASICALLY created the plot for 50 Shades of Grey.

Our love story begins in Captain America #394. The Skull is tired of being kidnapped by WW2 survivors and superheroes, so he fakes his own death so he can get back to his real business. Financing other subversives and criminals.

I think this had an effect on me as a child. "You mean people who claim to protect American values by beating up people who are different...are the real Nazis?"

quote:

This definitely had an effect on me as a child.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 16, 2013

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Halloween Jack posted:

This definitely had an effect on me as a child.

What kind of effect? Did it make you want to dress your secretary up like a evil nun?
Or did it make you want to drink really strong coffee? LIKE A NAZI NIHILIST!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Jesus, man. Don't overthink it. He makes messes and yells at women while they clean it up. Most natural thing in the world.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

The Question IRL posted:

What kind of effect? Did it make you want to dress your secretary up like a evil nun?
Or did it make you want to drink really strong coffee? LIKE A NAZI NIHILIST!

Yes and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I only know Secret Empire from said Daredevil arc and the totally boss why isn't it on digital Taskmaster mini.

• Locked thread