Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Man, on a whim I decided to check out attack on titan the other day and wound up marathoning the entire series up till now in one sitting and loved it, which made trying to read through this whole thread full of people following it weekly kind of depressing. I have to admit the recaps at the beginning of every episode became increasingly grating but I found the entire thing to be pretty enjoyable. It was quite evident the pace slowed after episode 7 or 8 too but it definitely wasn't a dealbreaker. I even rewatched the most recent episode after reading impressions here, and while all those issues are certainly there, I can't help but feel like part of the reception to it has been coloured by the frustration of the episodes leading up to it, it was what really sold me on the Titanform development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

TITAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS :argh:.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Oh hey, the full version of the OP is out! It's... really loving weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ftEAb7aEp0

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's like they just made the opening, then realized "oh poo poo, we have to put a full version out" and pasted some other song in the 2nd half.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tae posted:

It's like they just made the opening, then realized "oh poo poo, we have to put a full version out" and pasted some other song in the 2nd half.

I guess, but I thought it brought the two together nicely at the end.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I quite enjoyed it. :shrug:

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Tae posted:

Pretty much. Also all the random sound effects and German speaking in the background make it sound like a PV rip more than an actual single.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Pretty much. Also all the random sound effects and German speaking in the background make it sound like a PV rip more than an actual single.

You should check out Sound Horizon and be amazed

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That AoT web game is seriously addicting. I keep on dying horribly, though. :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

That AoT web game is seriously addicting. I keep on dying horribly, though. :(

It's true to the series! :downs:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's true to the series! :downs:

It is pretty faithful! I feel good about taking down one Titan, and out of nowhere another unceremoniously belly flops onto mo and I explode into a pile of blood and body parts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah drat, 13.5 is indeed just a recap. What me and a few others probably theorized was (Ep 14 preview spoiler)It would be Eren telling his story in the trial that is happening next episode, with maybe small bits of the courtroom as new animation in this episode, but it seems that it's 100% recycled footage this time around. Kind of a shame, but I can only hope this lets them catch up and put out solid episodes from here on.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah drat, 13.5 is indeed just a recap. What me and a few others probably theorized was (Ep 14 preview spoiler)It would be Eren telling his story in the trial that is happening next episode, with maybe small bits of the courtroom as new animation in this episode, but it seems that it's 100% recycled footage this time around. Kind of a shame, but I can only hope this lets them catch up and put out solid episodes from here on.

Yeah I was hoping it was that too. A missed opportunity.

But we get this tidbit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Kind of a shame, but I can only hope this lets them catch up and put out solid episodes from here on.
Shame? That's good news. I don't have to waste half an hour this week for 5 new minutes of footage. There's just no AoT this week.

Which is a loving good thing. They should do that more often, considering the animation last episode. (I know, Japanese TV schedules and all that nonsense.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If nothing, at least we got to hear more of that gorgeous soundtrack in context. It was also a pretty well done recap.

kant
May 12, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

It is pretty faithful! I feel good about taking down one Titan, and out of nowhere another unceremoniously belly flops onto mo and I explode into a pile of blood and body parts.

It's a great game and for all those broken people out there like myself the author said he'll add an inverted Y-axis option soon. He replied surprisingly quick.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just started watching this and I'm surprised how good it is. I'm only on like episode 6 though.

I'm not really an anime guy, I don't really understand most of how this stuff works. I'm just streaming it off Hulu. Is that bad? Someone on reddit said something about "sub groups", which I assume means there isn't just a universal sub. Is the Hulu one inaccurate? If so, should I watch it on a different site instead?

(I posted this in the manga one apparently first oops)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

I just started watching this and I'm surprised how good it is. I'm only on like episode 6 though.

I'm not really an anime guy, I don't really understand most of how this stuff works. I'm just streaming it off Hulu. Is that bad? Someone on reddit said something about "sub groups", which I assume means there isn't just a universal sub. Is the Hulu one inaccurate? If so, should I watch it on a different site instead?

(I posted this in the manga one apparently first oops)

Hulu is fine. Some people just insist on pirating simulcast shows for some reason. :iiam:

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Streaming it from Hulu is fine. When people talk about "sub groups" they're referring to groups of people who produce unofficial (and therefore copyright-infringing) translations/subtitles of an anime and release them for people to watch, usually via bittorent. These are collectively called "fansubs." There are quite a few persistent groups of fansubbers that do several shows and often have their own quirks in how they sub.

Here in ADTRW we don't talk about fansubs for anything that is legally available to watch in the West, typically via Funimation, Hulu, or Crunchyroll. These guys get official contracts from the copyright holder to produce and distribute an English translation. It's a pretty recent phenomenon that these guys are able to stream episodes very shortly after they air in Japan, and in many cases fansub groups still provide a faster-released and/or higher-resolution version that many people will still (illegally) watch, but we still don't talk about them as long as a legal release is available.

edit: Actually the ADTRW wiki has a huge FAQ here that's full of stuff you probably don't care about but if you have any other questions it would be a good place to check

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 8, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The fansubs for Attack on Titan are total crap. So I don't really recommend them anyways. The legal ways to watch the show are way better.

Also this exists;

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

The more people who view the legal way the better. Hulu and Crunchyroll are great with me. For some reason I have the worst luck with Funimation. At the same time i'm not watching those simulcasts so maybe those are better than their general library.

I said come in! posted:

Also this exists;

The Fabolossal Titan

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ViggyNash posted:

If nothing, at least we got to hear more of that gorgeous soundtrack in context. It was also a pretty well done recap.

Yeah, nothing like a trainee squad getting massacred to motivational/montage butt rock.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
A lot of people seem to be complaining that that was a recap episode (honestly we just needed filler to kill time, i think)

but i'll be totally honest, i'm fine with watching them beat the poo poo out of titans in unique and/or violent ways, and if they want to just make episode after episode of titan crushing, i'm fine with it

in a way i'm almost weirdly disappointed in the way the show's going, that's not quite the twist i was expecting and i feel like it almost takes away from the show. but it's still good, so whatever.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxOpp_00t5k

OP2 for your viewing pleasure. It shows some new characters and flashes of things to come so spoilers, click at your own risk.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Azzents posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxOpp_00t5k

OP2 for your viewing pleasure. It shows some new characters and flashes of things to come so spoilers, click at your own risk.

So now we have Japanese Dragonforce. I guess it works. The quality shown there does make me hope for better things though, maybe they figured out their workflow.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Dang, I wish all the animation looked like that.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Azzents posted:

Unless they hold the OP back for however long, isn't that inevitable just watching the show normally anyway?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first OP also had spoilers! Like how it showed the scene where they fired at titans from the elevator.

If I remember right it even reused the animation a bit too :v:

(But anyways that was one of those things where unless you knew it was referencing something that does happen, you just don't really think about it)

As a non-manga reader nothing about this 2nd OP seems like an obvious spoiler?* We know Levi is an important character and we also know that Eren is probably gonna fight more titans in his titan form, no surprises there. I'm sure there's some spoilery stuff hidden in it that's probably obvious if you've read the manga but hey, that's the norm for almost every Shounen anime opening ever.

*I don't consider seeing character designs of future characters to be spoilers so if you're super paranoid about wanting to be in the dark you should probably skip it!

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 13, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

EDIT: No, I see you've got that covered.

Yeah, the OP's harmless.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Zogundar posted:

Unless they hold the OP back for however long, isn't that inevitable just watching the show normally anyway?

Just covering my rear end in case someone does cry spoilers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Srice posted:

I'm sure there's some spoilery stuff hidden in it that's probably obvious if you've read the manga but hey, that's the norm for almost every Shounen anime opening ever.

I haven't watched the new OP yet (on my phone right now), but it's probably just that, yeah. I remember a few people got right away that the scene in the first OP with Eren 3DMG-ing along the streets of Trost ended JUST before he got his leg bitten off, but obviously if you've never seen the show then it's just a cool scene.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Did a girl bite her thumb (1:07), emerge from a pool of blood (1:17) and transform into a female titan (1:21/23)?

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
I think that was the titan lover girl being covered in titan blood and smiling at 1:17.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

DerLeo posted:

So now we have Japanese Dragonforce.

Man, you weren't lying! Not quite as good as the first OP, but to be honest, they kind of struck gold there. I haven't seen an anime opening go viral that quick in a while. I'm gonna be keeping Guren no Yumiya as my ringtone I think.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Phobophilia posted:

Did a girl bite her thumb (1:07), emerge from a pool of blood (1:17) and transform into a female titan (1:21/23)?

No. All of those events are unrelated.

The first one is the girl that basically heads up R&D for the scouting legion. She has a habit of biting or sucking on her thumb in the manga, not really a nervous tick but that's what she does when she's thinking. The pool of blood is someone(not sure who, probably just Whoever For Dramatic Effect) in the stomach of a titan, that's what we see when Eren is in the stomach of the titan in whatever episode that happens in. The last is a titan but there's basically a shitload of titans so whatever.

edit: actually all this subtlety and mystery over what may or may not be spoilers in this OP are pointless, there's nothing there. I went ahead and removed spoilertags because all it would do is further people to analyzing every frame to find some semblance of a spoiler where there are none. The OP is spoiler-free.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 14, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

another pic of swole mikasa

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The two heroes of Attack on Titan, and Eren Jaeger.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

another pic of swole mikasa

Forget Mikasa, look at Levi. He could stop two barrels of buckshot just by clenching those abs.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Emlan, the lady with the anime dogs, made an AoT picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DerLeo posted:

So now we have Japanese Dragonforce. I guess it works. The quality shown there does make me hope for better things though, maybe they figured out their workflow.
"Dragonforce" was the exact thing that I thought of on hearing it.

• Locked thread