Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

The King of Swag posted:

After so many playthroughs, I've finally come across my first slime pit (right next to my starting shelter). Even just starting out, slimes are stupidly easy to deal with--they're slow and a nail-bat takes quick care of them. Of course they keep spawning from their slime pit though, and I want to know if there's anyway to destroy it?

Have you tried fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Not yet, but I'm not sure how I'd build a big enough fire to cover all the slime fields. Also, I haven't updated the nightly in about a week (just did it now), and noticed that at some point in that time, they've completely broken text wrapping. Text wrapping in the crafting window was broken, but now it's broken in every window.

Edit: Bandages are broken as gently caress in this build; activating them automatically adds one to your inventory, so if you have at least one, you have an infinite amount. If you still need more, activating and then canceling out nets you one extra.

Double edit: Going to give it a few weeks before I play again, because everything that can be broken seems to be broken. The commit log seems pretty innocuous, but whatever they've done over the last week, they've really screwed the pooch.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 12, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

The King of Swag posted:

Not yet, but I'm not sure how I'd build a big enough fire to cover all the slime fields. Also, I haven't updated the nightly in about a week (just did it now), and noticed that at some point in that time, they've completely broken text wrapping. Text wrapping in the crafting window was broken, but now it's broken in every window.

Edit: Bandages are broken as gently caress in this build; activating them automatically adds one to your inventory, so if you have at least one, you have an infinite amount. If you still need more, activating and then canceling out nets you one extra.

Double edit: Going to give it a few weeks before I play again, because everything that can be broken seems to be broken. The commit log seems pretty innocuous, but whatever they've done over the last week, they've really screwed the pooch.

I'm looking into this now. I can't see any problems with the message draw code, so could you post a screenshot of the text wrap issue?

I'm trying to find where the bandages are getting decremented but it looks like the problem was in the last version of GDA as well and I didn't notice. I've gone back a previous version and it seems to work so ~3-4 weeks is roughly when it got broke.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Speaking of fire, there seem to have been a few modifications to how fire works in the latest nightly. For one, setting a random bush on fire will no longer make a fire that spreads out over a number of fields. There will just be one square that gets a lot bigger than it used to, while lasting for a substantially longer time. I'm thinking this is a step in the right direction.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The bandage stuff has been fixed. The DDA team has done some pretty major changes to the way the item use works and they were doing some funky poo poo with maintaining a copy of an item then adding it back afterwards for some reason.

I've also made it possible to smash ovens, granting heating elements and sheet metal. I've bumped up the nutrition on MREs to at least double their previous values.

Still can't see any text wrapping issues. :/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The devs are honestly doing a good job. They can't fix everything at once, but they're trying! That counts for something.

Can't find any wrapping issues, either. Just saying.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Yeah I agree, I think its something they overlooked when changing the system over. Because frankly its a big change, the last version used the "eat" function to cover the interactions with bandages (along with lots of other consumables that aren't actually, you know, food or otherwise edible), the new system uses a saner system, but they forgot to decrement the charges of items that you use.

I'm going to take a look at increasing the length of time fire burns when provided with different types of fuel. I think adding a log, or other wooden items, should increase the lifetime of the fire by quite a bit.

e: also, the unfucked solar stuff is merged in so it'll be available in the next version of GDA.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 12, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of fire, there seem to have been a few modifications to how fire works in the latest nightly. For one, setting a random bush on fire will no longer make a fire that spreads out over a number of fields. There will just be one square that gets a lot bigger than it used to, while lasting for a substantially longer time. I'm thinking this is a step in the right direction.

Well from looking at it, it seems like it now takes into account fuel sources such as wood,liquids and materials.

For example, wood and vegetable materials burn slowly and produce a lot of smoke. Paper feeds the fire pretty nicely but is consumed quickly. Adding bullets to the fire will cause small explosions. Cotton and wool feed the fire very little but burn slowly. flesh is similar to cotton and wool, but produces more smoke.

Liquids such as alcohol and gasoline provide a massive boost to the fire and produce a buttload of smoke (any other liquid will kill the fire) and any powders will feed the fire relative to the amount you feed it but will be destroyed immediately, so its good for an instant boost but not as a long-term fuel.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Sorry for the late reply; I want to make it clear that I'm playing DDA and not GDA. I've never even played GDA--I like the continuos updates of DDA, even if it means you occasionally need to put the game down while they fix poo poo. As for the text wrapping issue, it'll take me a while to get a screenshot. I'm posting from a phone right now, and won't be near anything resembling a house for a while.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Now we just need to be able to disassemble books into paper and we can have proper fire starting mechanics.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Nevets posted:

Now we just need to be able to disassemble books into paper and we can have proper fire starting mechanics.

Just put this in.

It gives paper that is the book/magazine volume*2*10, so a book of volume 3 will give 60 pages.

There are a couple of considerations, first, it isn't possible to have objects of a volume that isn't an integer, so its either the pages have no volume and weight (allowing you to convert books that have volume and weight into a large quantity of weightless, substanceless paper) or have volume of 1 for paper, which is rather silly because then a book of volume 3 will be torn into a quantity of paper that has volume 60. Until or unless volume and weight become floating point values(extremely unlikely), there isn't any way around this.

Secondly, for the sake of realism/common sense, a book that is torn into pages would ideally give a few dozen pages at minimum, but this could give a player a gigantic amount of burnable material for virtually no effort. Its already possible to get easy access to slow-burning wood in the form of breaking virtually any piece of furniture so this might be balance breaking.

I'm going to put a new build of GDA together tomorrow, so if anyone has any further suggestions or if there's any part of this paper stuff you want to give input on, feel free and I'll take it into account when putting the new build together.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Haha, now I am imagining being chased through a library, frantically treating sheets out of books to light zombies on fire.

Hooray for oven smashing! It was frustrating not having any electronics stores in any nearby towns.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 13, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I swear if I don't find a hotplate in the next 24 hours, I'm going to set this two horse town on fire.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Caufman posted:

I swear if I don't find a hotplate in the next 24 hours, I'm going to set this two horse town on fire.

The only place I've found hotplates is in an electronics store. Maybe on a zombie as well, but that's totally unreliable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PiCroft posted:

There are a couple of considerations, first, it isn't possible to have objects of a volume that isn't an integer, so its either the pages have no volume and weight (allowing you to convert books that have volume and weight into a large quantity of weightless, substanceless paper) or have volume of 1 for paper, which is rather silly because then a book of volume 3 will be torn into a quantity of paper that has volume 60. Until or unless volume and weight become floating point values(extremely unlikely), there isn't any way around this.
I could have sworn they already were, at least internally. Didn't somebody in the thread talk about how meds start having a weight if you collect enough of them? Bullets seem to work that way, too. Maybe you can implement a similar mechanism for paper. Make the game think that 20 pages are one whole object or something.

PiCroft posted:

Secondly, for the sake of realism/common sense, a book that is torn into pages would ideally give a few dozen pages at minimum, but this could give a player a gigantic amount of burnable material for virtually no effort. Its already possible to get easy access to slow-burning wood in the form of breaking virtually any piece of furniture so this might be balance breaking.
I don't think that's really a problem, it can't be worse than the Skewer thing. Plus, starting fires is really just about the most basic interaction you can do in Cataclysm. It's supposed to be easy.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I have glitched and I need to use debug, but Z isn't working, what did I cockup?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

PiCroft posted:

That doesn't sound right. There's tons of stuff in the game with non-integer volume and weight. Almost everything that you normally find in stacks, in fact.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is there a way to make your inventory reuse old letters? It seems that after you use something up it still doesn't use that letter again, and you end up with things attached to symbols pretty quickly if you survive long enough.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I have glitched and I need to use debug, but Z isn't working, what did I cockup?

You need to bind a key to it now

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The ammo/meds stuff calculates volume/weight for items with charges which is why you get bullets/meds gradually increasing in weight. Both weight/volume is in integers and is floored so it rounds down in all situations. To get round this, I've made pages into "comestibles" which means its possible to actually eat the paper. It'll depress you a lot though so don't do it.

E: also, I added amplifier circuits and copper wires to the ovens so if you break them and you're having difficulty getting a hotplate, 3 of the most difficult to find components are dropped by it.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 13, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

So here's GDA 0.4.3:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GoonDDA%200.4.3.zip

Smashable ovens, items with charges now fixed, books can be (D)isassembled into paper which can act as fuel for fire, MRE nutrition bumped up.

Plus, merged with the DDA build as of a couple days ago so the un-hosed solar panels are in as well.

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.

PiCroft posted:

So here's GDA 0.4.3:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GoonDDA%200.4.3.zip

Smashable ovens, items with charges now fixed, books can be (D)isassembled into paper which can act as fuel for fire, MRE nutrition bumped up.

Plus, merged with the DDA build as of a couple days ago so the un-hosed solar panels are in as well.

I'm excited but I can't figure out how to run this.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Awesome, does this have the weird bandage bug people were talking about earlier?

Edit: Yeaaah, I think you uploaded the uncompiled version.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 14, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

loving kill me, I'm such a moron.

Here's the compiled version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Goon%20DDA%200.4.3.zip

I specifically compiled it, then dragged the wrong zipped folder in :negative:

Yeah it has the bandage issue fixed. I think it applied to any item that had charges, but its been dealt with now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wow, just found out about this game and this sounds amazing. Could more people post more crazy and bizarre play throughs? Love to read post apocalyptic adventures. :allears:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I just started playing and got couple of questions:

1. How is determined the size of character's volume? Is it the storage you get from items?
2. Can I open windows from outside without smashing them and getting cut like a moron when climbing inside?
3. Is it necessary to do something about pain? If so, how?
4. I found a car but couldn't figure out if it had all the necessary parts, I assumed control but it didn't budge so I assume it was missing something. Also, is there a way to check if the parts are working, e.g. it might have wheels but they might be punctured (is this even possible?).

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

lordfrikk posted:

I just started playing and got couple of questions:

1. How is determined the size of character's volume? Is it the storage you get from items?
2. Can I open windows from outside without smashing them and getting cut like a moron when climbing inside?
3. Is it necessary to do something about pain? If so, how?
4. I found a car but couldn't figure out if it had all the necessary parts, I assumed control but it didn't budge so I assume it was missing something. Also, is there a way to check if the parts are working, e.g. it might have wheels but they might be punctured (is this even possible?).

1. Your clothing and bags have a storage value that adds to your totally carrying volume.
2. I don't think you can open them from outside, but if you break the window and then use '*' then 'h' I think (it should be 'clean window' in the construction menu), you can clean it out so you won't cut yourself at least.
3. Pain lowers your stats. You don't HAVE to do anything since it will go away on it's own, slowly, but you can eat painkillers (asprin, oxycodone, etc) to lower it faster.
4. if you (e)xamine the car, you can move the cursor over it to see the status of it's parts. Anything grey is broken. If something important is broken, the max safe speed will be 0. Otherwise, if it has fuel the max safe speed should be some positive number.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hell yes, with working solar panels I can finally get an RV kitchen up and save batteries.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have a crowbar, you can Apply it to windows and doors to pry them open. Sometimes it takes multiple tries, and sometimes you might just break the window.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ZombieApostate posted:

3. Pain lowers your stats. You don't HAVE to do anything since it will go away on it's own, slowly, but you can eat painkillers (asprin, oxycodone, etc) to lower it faster.
Which is way more dangerous than it sounds. One of the lowered stats is speed. Once you take a few good hits, you won't be able to punch back worth beans anymore and probably can't run fast enough to flee, either. Always try to have a few strong painkillers with you.

You can take them in advance, by the way. They'll just block the pain as you take hits. Don't take too many, though! Painkiller overdose actually can kill you. I lost a good character to painkiller-caused random heart stoppage once.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Also you can get addicted to the stronger painkillers, which sucks. My last amazing character found a Last Man On Earth shelter and was busy setting up turrets around it until he got the shakes and pain from opiate withdrawal. I foolishly decided to continue setting up autoturrets and was too slow to draw my weapon when one of them mis-identified me as a hostile and gunned me down :saddowns:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just found a money bundle in a gas station. Completely at loss as to what to do with it, I threw it at the feet of Shrieker and lit a match. Then I cooked my lunch over it's smoldering carcass.

There's probably some sort of metaphor for capitalism here.

GodExtreme
Aug 8, 2008
just a quick thing, if I turn NPCs on in the Goon DDA build they are very buggy and crash the game, yet in the normal cata build they don't seem to, is there anything I can do to fix this?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

GodExtreme posted:

just a quick thing, if I turn NPCs on in the Goon DDA build they are very buggy and crash the game, yet in the normal cata build they don't seem to, is there anything I can do to fix this?

I haven't looked at NPCs for a while, I was under the impression they were still a ways off from being usable again. I'll take a look when I get home from work.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

NPCs are an absolutely terrible thing at the moment.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If I make an RV unit, can I make a wheeless car with some solar panels and storage batteries and just assemble it outside my shelter to power it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't really understand why everyone else seems to have so many problems with NPCs. I always play with NPCs on and I have never gotten a crash just for having them around, just the occasional error message. They're pretty useless, mostly, but I like to keep them around just for the fact that they can apparently spawn with any item in the game in their inventories.

GDA doesn't really do anything to change how NPCs work, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is there a way to examine a vehicle besides using e? I stopped while building my rv kitchen unit, and now I can't continue because using e on it just brings up the 'the water tank is empty' line.

Am I screwed?

edit: Oh, RV units only let you get a drink? Why can't we top off containers like we can from other water sources, like toilets?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 15, 2013

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Is there a way to examine a vehicle besides using e? I stopped while building my rv kitchen unit, and now I can't continue because using e on it just brings up the 'the water tank is empty' line.

Am I screwed?

edit: Oh, RV units only let you get a drink? Why can't we top off containers like we can from other water sources, like toilets?

You can still siphon from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!
Can someone make a consumable item to teach a martial arts style? It would be nice to use some MA when you get the perfect blend of mutations and cybernetics. Really liking Krav Maga when you have a lot of skill and decent stats since you have 3 skills that can activate for defense while your dodge is low.