Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I've heard a few of their songs, and I'm partial to Kicking Pigeons. Their covers are really good too. I still put their version of Centerfold on road trip mix tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I've heard a few of their songs, and I'm partial to Kicking Pigeons. Their covers are really good too. I still put their version of Centerfold on road trip mix tapes.

Kicking Pigeons, and Give it A Try are what usually plays by them. I like what I've heard in-so-far, but 2 out X might not mean anything.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Longshot, but I have a ticket for tonight's Streetlight Manifesto concert in Springfield, VA that I can't use. Free to good home. Post an email and I'll forward the e-ticket with PDF attachment. No idea if it'll work, but the TOS doesn't seem to disallow it since I'm not selling it

http://www.empire-nova.com/eventdetails.aspx?eventId=433

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I used to listen to [spunge] more often but I was a fan of Lyrical Content(from Pedigree Chump) and Home Video(self titled album)

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Hobbit posted:

I just leave my glasses in the car. Just don't ask me to read anything at the show.

Any goons gonna be at the Lancaster Streetlight show?

I'll be there, if a little late. I'll have a No On 15 shirt on, say hi if you see me. I'm excited since I've never been to the chameleon club.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I'm interested to see what WaffleZombie thought of that show but I was not impressed. I have never met a crowd with more assholes in it before and I have been to major political conventions.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
What happened?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
The problems began when Rodeo Ruby Love was on stage or were just about to come on stage. The Chameleon Club is a small venue so the floor is always tightly packed. Three teenagers push, not nudge, but push their way through the crowd to the center and begin slamming each other. The music wasn't suited for moshing but they got more and more aggressive. This pulled many of the other throw-down-gonna-gently caress-you-up assholes onto the floor.

Before Streetlight went on stage the floor got even more packed, which was expected. However, tons of people were now coming down from the bar, many very drunk, and we're all in bad moods. Floor is filled but they're pushing to the center of it anyway. Again, these people weren't nudging through the crowd they were just pushing people out of their way, so fights were starting. Streetlight is not even on stage yet and one guy actually starts moshing. Insanity ensues on the floor. More fights. As soon as this died down (Streetlight is still not on stage) people at the back of the crowd all start pushing forward making the crowd so tight I could barely breathe. The whole mass of people is swaying all over the place. I got knocked off my feet a lot but had no wear to fall.

Streetlight comes on stage; crowd pack and swaying somehow gets even worse. When they started playing the back pushed again, the front pushed back, and a pit tried and failed to open in the center. I spent a minute in the maelstrom before I and my friends fled towards the back. On the way we had to fight past drunk guys that didn't want to let us pass despite one of the girls in our group screaming "I want out" at them. The drunks just kept pushing us back towards the center.

Once we got out we and a few others formed a skank pit at the back of the crowd. It was good for a little while but after a couple songs some assholes from the crowd came to our pit and kept slamming us trying to break up the skanking. More fights.

As for Streetlight themselves they seemed like they were phoning it in. Exact same set list as was experienced by goons at earlier shows and that really didn't scratch my itch. On top of that Tomas had no energy and barely interacted with the crowd. The band just rushed through set.

When the show was over all the fighting inside the venue carried itself onto the street. A cadre of cops broke up the hostilities with mace and horses.

In summary: band didn't care, too many drunks, too many bros, too much aggression, too little crowd control.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Man that's awful. I've never had a bad time at a Streetlight show, and I was bummed they weren't coming near me for their last tour, but if that's what it would have been like I'm glad my memories are untarnished.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I've now seen Streetlight three times and they're 1/3 for good shows. The first time I saw them it was also a pretty bad show but for other reasons, although they also lacked decent energy and audience interaction at that show. Tomas was trying then, at least, but everything he was saying was just pissing us off.

I get the impression that Streetlight's, or maybe just Tomas's, attitude is that the audience is there to listen to him play his music rather than to be part of the music. The best ska and/or punk shows are always the ones where it's hard to tell where the performance begins and the audience ends.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
My only bad Streetlight experience was the time they played my school's festival and campus police tried to cut their set short after about 3 songs. They refused to stop playing until their sound was cut. At least they got through Mephisto's Cafe.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Less Than Jake headlined a festival at my school a few years back. Half way through the set someone passed a beer to the stage and one of them started drinking it. A cop rushed onto the stage to get the beer since the event was supposed to be dry. The cop was handed an empty, upside down can, then a belch came through the microphone.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Hobbit posted:

I've now seen Streetlight three times and they're 1/3 for good shows. The first time I saw them it was also a pretty bad show but for other reasons, although they also lacked decent energy and audience interaction at that show. Tomas was trying then, at least, but everything he was saying was just pissing us off.

I get the impression that Streetlight's, or maybe just Tomas's, attitude is that the audience is there to listen to him play his music rather than to be part of the music. The best ska and/or punk shows are always the ones where it's hard to tell where the performance begins and the audience ends.

I've seen Streetlight twice and the energy and the audience interaction were great both times. It depends on the crowd; I have to imagine if the crowd is a bunch of obnoxioius drunken assholes Tomas would be slightly disinclined to interact meaningfully with them, but if the crowd feeds the band positive energy you're gonna get some back. When they were here a couple weeks ago Tomas was all over the place on stage, letting the crowd help with the parts that needed gang vocals, shooting water bottles into the crowd, smiling and having a great time. I definitely felt like I was part of the experience, and I feel for you that you didn't get that at your show man. That sucks.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Well, you win some you lose some. I'm just glad it wasn't a really expensive show. I just listened to four Bosstones albums in a row and that renewed all my faith in ska. I really want to see them again.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Hobbit posted:

Well, you win some you lose some. I'm just glad it wasn't a really expensive show. I just listened to four Bosstones albums in a row and that renewed all my faith in ska. I really want to see them again.

Luckily for me, they're playing a free show in Boston this weekend. It's nice getting to see them more than once a year and not having to pay $25 to do it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Awesome OClock posted:

Luckily for me, they're playing a free show in Boston this weekend. It's nice getting to see them more than once a year and not having to pay $25 to do it.

What where how did I not hear about this

It's a moot point anyway, I'm gonna be in Maine this weekend :sigh:

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

What where how did I not hear about this

Boston Common. It was announced maybe a month ago. There's some sort of Festival going on, I guess. The Bosstones are the one noteworthy thing that's going on.

Edit: Now with links. http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/gotoit/2013/07/outside_the_box.html

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
If you're in Baltimore this September, they are also playing this very weird festival: http://www.theshindigbaltimore.com/

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Awesome OClock posted:

Boston Common. It was announced maybe a month ago. There's some sort of Festival going on, I guess. The Bosstones are the one noteworthy thing that's going on.

Edit: Now with links. http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/gotoit/2013/07/outside_the_box.html

Aww Dag, Taj Motel Trio is playing at the same time as the Bosstones on sahday (#menino) at city hall plaza.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Awesome OClock posted:

Also that same day:
http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3523864&REFERRAL_ID=twfb&pl=mideastrestaurant
The Middle East Downstairs

Bim Skala Bim
Pressure Cooker
John DeCarlo and Company
Mr. Kowalsky
Riki Rocksteady
with DJ Bob Da Boom

18+
$10adv/$12dos
8pm Doors

Show starts at the same time as the Bosstones, but Bim won't be on until after the Bosstones are done so plenty of time to hop over to the Middle East and see some more awesome ska.

I also got some cool mail today:

edit: also just managed to pick up a non-repress copy of Let's Face It, which completes my collection of Bosstones studio albums LPs.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 15, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Huh. I didn't even know Bim Skala Bim were still a going concern.

lessthankyle posted:

If you're in Baltimore this September, they are also playing this very weird festival: http://www.theshindigbaltimore.com/

I live in Baltimore and I like a lot of these acts! Thank you.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

They really only seem to play when they want to, and then it's usually just one or two shows here and there.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
I think I'll probably hit the shindig. It is a weird line up but I like the Dropkicks, I like Joan Jett, I like the Bosstones, so whatever. The price is pretty good for a festival too.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'd like to go, but I also don't want to go to loving Baltimore.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'd like to go, but I also don't want to go to loving Baltimore.

Aw come on now. We, uh. Well its probably not as bad as you think.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Shabadu posted:

Aww Dag, Taj Motel Trio is playing at the same time as the Bosstones on sahday (#menino) at city hall plaza.

Luckily for you that's the Taj Mahal Trio, and not us. There's been a decent amount of confusion about that over the years.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Dammit. It turns out the Shindig is on Yom Kippur, which is about the only thing that would keep me from going.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Josh Wow posted:

Luckily for you that's the Taj Mahal Trio, and not us. There's been a decent amount of confusion about that over the years.

HOoray! Now I don't feel conflicted in the slightest. Although maybe I should get my eyes checked

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guppy posted:

Dammit. It turns out the Shindig is on Yom Kippur, which is about the only thing that would keep me from going.

This is why I'm not going to Riot Fest :sigh:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

ahahahahahahahahaha.

also Baltimore isn't that bad at all. I mean obviously don't be a loving idiot, but I've been going there yearly for Insubordination Fest and I've never had a problem. Just don't be dumb.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
You could visit some of the location shoots from the Wire while you're there.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I meant more like, Baltimore is a long drive from Boston. Not that it's a bad place to go.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

Gabbleduck posted:

I texted the Shindig details to my brother. When he called me back he didn't even say hello, just "Have you learned nothing from watching the Wire." Then we agreed to go.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Anyone get their second A Very Rosenstock Summer mp3 yet? :( I liked the first one so much, now I can't wait.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Anyone get their second A Very Rosenstock Summer mp3 yet? :( I liked the first one so much, now I can't wait.

He released this for free a few days ago. it's pretty good, I like it a lot.

Not sure if that's what you're talking about because I didn't buy the vinyl since I have no need for one.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
The Pietasters have some East Coast dates coming up.

Aug 2 in Baltimore
Aug 3 in Wilmington, DE
Aug 17 in Hampstead, MD

I might try for the August 17th date since it seems to be some kind of brewing fest.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Gabbleduck posted:

a friend of mine stayed at one of the motels from it a few Insubs ago and he was completely horrified and spent the night sleeping in the closet.

Also I have fond memories of walking from the hotel to the Sonar, which is about 5 blocks and looking down a street after hearing some uh, fireworks and having a police RV screech up and block off the street. Which happened like 2 or 3 times over the weekend.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Sonar isn't in a bad area. The hell is wrong with you people.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Speaking of Baltimore, I just saw that Streetlight Manifesto added a Nov.10th date at soundstage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh word, maybe I will get to see their Last Tour Ever. Thanks.