Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

:siren: These chips are are in short supply and will not be available after my supply runs out. :siren:

They still seem to be available at a normal price from here: http://www.segastyle.com/store/

Also, holy poo poo, there was a kit to play VCDs on Saturn!

Got anywhere else with them? They're going fast and it'll be crazy if these are the last Saturn mod chips that will exist.

e: There's the other kind

http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

e2: This store seems to have them if you ask for them

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Have you thought about bringing this up to the people working the store?

I have indeed, and have met met with everything from a polite "I see where you're coming from but these stickers are magical and don't leave any residue behind," to a blank stare as a 16 year old kid behind the counter waits for me to leave the store he earns his weed money from.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

I have indeed, and have met met with everything from a polite "I see where you're coming from but these stickers are magical and don't leave any residue behind," to a blank stare as a 16 year old kid behind the counter waits for me to leave the store he earns his weed money from.

I feel you man, I make my decisions on whether a store is ok to shop at or not based on the stickers. The one store I occasionally go to had an NES game with a staple in it the other day, and by in it I mean through the plastic not like inside the cartridge or anything like that.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

StellarX posted:

I own most of the everdrives at this point and the everdrive 64 is the best by far as far as compatibility. I've yet to have an issue with any rom I've thrown on it, including some hacks, translations, and things like Zelda 64 Master Quest. If it's not 100% compatibility, it's drat close.

That's good to hear then. I wanted to try a lot of hacks with it. I looked up the compatibility list and I already own most of the games it does not support, so that's not a big deal for me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I came across this and am now going to vanish for a while...

http://gbatemp.net/threads/rhythm-tengoku-translation-rhythm-heaven-silver.330147/

Rhythm Tengoku on GBA was translated to English.

Also regarding hacks it depends on what makes the hacks. All the SM64 hacks *do not* work.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Copper Vein posted:

Dear Retro Game Stores,

Don't put your adhesive price stickers directly on the goddamn labels of the cartridges. Some people give a gently caress about that, like people who will keep your store open by coming in to buy 20 year old carts, for instance.

Thanks,
Everybody in this thread.
I've personally never had a problem with this. The store I really like puts them on the top kinda half way over the top part of the label and the other half on the plastic, and the stickers do come off pretty cleanly (I do wipe them down with a napkin barely damp with rubbing alcohol afterwards to get the rest of the residue off). Maybe the stores you go to use different, shittier stickers? :confused:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Found my old Gameboy Color and Gameboy Pocket in a storage container today and am thinking of collecting fun original Gameboy games to play. Other than the big ones like Zelda, Metroid II, Tetris, Kirby, Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow what are some of the more fun or must have GB games? I'm happy to see the prices for most GB games are pretty low.

Also has anyone modded their GB pocket to add a backlight kit? I'm thinking of going with this kit in red (should go well with my black GB pocket) but am curious if anyone that's done it has regrets. The process doesn't look too bad--about on par with adding a frontlight to a GBA which I've done before.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Remember this?

I got a business card from the folks who make 'em. They don't have a web site, but they do have an e-mail address (2.5dsprites@gmail.com) and a Facebook page. I checked and they do ship, though it can be a bit expensive with packing.

Edit: Oh, and I checked, and this one wasn't for sale.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 15, 2013

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Copper Vein posted:

I've asked about the stickers too at a few places and it usually ends up with me looking like a person with really bad OCD while an employee explains that the sticker's residue is a futuristic space polymer that doesn't damage anything.

So every once in awhile if I see a game I want that has a sticker problem, i'll ask the person behind the register to remove it before I purchase it.

I highly suggest doing this, the results are great!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Neogeo consolizers, as a heads up, at least on the MVS1FZS board, the second channel's output is not hooked up to the second channel input on the opamp. That is, doing the standard stereo mod will still leave you with only one channel. I had to take a lead from the YM3016 (pin 10) to the c844g (also pin 10). But now I have, like, really stereo sound and it is glorious. I feel like the first dolphin pilot.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hey, so I'm stepping out of town Tuesday for a week, so I've got two points to raise:

A) If my retro santa comes through, I won't know until the 24th or so.
B) Anyone know of places to look for retro stuff in northeastern PA (aside from the usual flea markets and dirtmalls)?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hey just wondering, are people still interested in a GBA-size EZ Flash 3-in-1 or an NES Powerpak with 2 GB card?

Also, I seem to currently have one round button Saturn and one oval button, which would be best for modchipping it up for backed up games?

In other news, Ebay is currently offering "800,000 free insertions" for the week of July 14-20, might be a good opportunity to clear out your unwanteds.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Remember this?

I got a business card from the folks who make 'em. They don't have a web site, but they do have an e-mail address (2.5dsprites@gmail.com) and a Facebook page. I checked and they do ship, though it can be a bit expensive with packing.

Edit: Oh, and I checked, and this one wasn't for sale.

My friend's wife makes characters for me and her family every Christmas. It's really not that hard to make something like this on your own. The materials are cheap and there are tutorials all over on how to line up the beads for whatever sprite character you are making.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

flyboi posted:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/rhythm-tengoku-translation-rhythm-heaven-silver.330147/

YES holy poo poo I was just wondering the other day why nobody had done this. Perfect excuse to play through this game again.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

Hey just wondering, are people still interested in a GBA-size EZ Flash 3-in-1 or an NES Powerpak with 2 GB card?

Also, I seem to currently have one round button Saturn and one oval button, which would be best for modchipping it up for backed up games?

In other news, Ebay is currently offering "800,000 free insertions" for the week of July 14-20, might be a good opportunity to clear out your unwanteds.

I think I bought one from you before, but I'll buy another Ez flash 3 in 1 off of you if you're selling it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Depends what kind of chip. You are more likely to get a chip that works better with the model 2 (round button). I'm assuming this is a US Saturn?

My Saturn question is, has anyone destroyed their Saturn by disc swapping?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Depends what kind of chip. You are more likely to get a chip that works better with the model 2 (round button). I'm assuming this is a US Saturn?

i would be far more worried about scratching the discs since most worthwhile Saturn games are worth at least twice as much as a sega saturn by itself

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

flyboi posted:

Also regarding hacks it depends on what makes the hacks. All the SM64 hacks *do not* work.

Don't those Mario hacks need extra ram or something and can literally never work on real hardware? It's not an everdrive issue.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Yes I am very interested in GBA-size EZ Flash 3-in-1.

The round button Saturn is easier to mod. You want the round button Saturn.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Way back in the day I did the disc swap thing for a few months before I got a mod chip. It...it is not good. If you got the :retrogames: to burn on a Saturn, get a loving mod chip too. There isn't really any excuse.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Allen Wren posted:

B) Anyone know of places to look for retro stuff in northeastern PA (aside from the usual flea markets and dirtmalls)?

I've never even been to PA but the guys in YOSPOS recommend this spot for retro gaming fans:

http://www.tntamusements.com/

Install Gentoo posted:

As of two weeks ago I thought I was a loon for buying a duplicate Saturn modchip for fear they'd never be reproduced again, and sure enough I was right. Racketboy doubled their price and are not making them any longer.

However, just go here: http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

it's currently out of stock, but it's different than the Racketboy one in that a) it's not $80 and b) it works in all Saturns.

I can't vouch for its quality but I don't know how they could screw that up. It was in stock literally yesterday, so I am imagining it just goes in and out of stock.

Vprisoner posted:

Yeah, Drakon made mine as well. No Super 8 though. I had opened the cable up a little while ago to take a look. The RGB lines have blue sleeves (the heat shrinks I'm guessing) covering up to the pin with some bulges inside; I'm assuming those are the resistors.

Here's what the picture looks like at the moment with the resistors:

And here's the cable pinout itself:

Yeah the bulges are the resistors. They'd be way bigger bulges if it were capacitors. Just pull back on the sleeves and solder out the resistors. Do not remove the resistor that is jumping between two pins though (the resistor you can see since it is not under a sleeve).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I wasn't looking for advice, I was curious how insanely lucky I am. I've been disk swapping my Saturn since it was released and it works fine. Disc scratching would be a problem, but you disk swap back ups. I use the bootleg sampler for irony. Don't be like me children, mod your poo poo.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Install Gentoo posted:

I have also been looking for a ez flash so if you still have one available I am interested.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

As of two weeks ago I thought I was a loon for buying a duplicate Saturn modchip for fear they'd never be reproduced again, and sure enough I was right. Racketboy doubled their price and are not making them any longer.

However, just go here: http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

it's currently out of stock, but it's different than the Racketboy one in that a) it's not $80 and b) it works in all Saturns.

I can't vouch for its quality but I don't know how they could screw that up. It was in stock literally yesterday, so I am imagining it just goes in and out of stock.

Chip works great. I have one in my 64 pin model 2 and have had 0 issues with it.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

flyboi posted:

Chip works great. I have one in my 64 pin model 2 and have had 0 issues with it.

Same model here and works like a charm. Bought this one after buying Racketboy's red PCB without checking which revision of Saturn I had. This may be common sense, but :siren:Always check which revision of hardware you have before ordering parts for any mod:siren:, judging from button shape isn't enough. Though if you do have a model 2 32 pin and would like a red chip for less than $80, PM me for a great deal.

On a related note, I'm not a fan of Robert Webb (https://www.consolegoods.co.uk). I bought a Super UFO Drive 7(8? It's sitting in storage back in Oz) from him about ten years ago. I asked about PAL compatibility before purchasing and he straight up lied saying that the unit would function when a PAL cart was inserted to act as the CIC, promising it was 100% tested. It didn't work. He was of little help after the sale and hard to get any support/communication from. The thing was useless until I modded my SNES with a region switch. I'm only basing this opinion off my own experience, and any positive stories from people here may sway my opinion, but since then I've never heard anything good about dealings with him.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MediumWellDone posted:

Same model here and works like a charm. Bought this one after buying Racketboy's red PCB without checking which revision of Saturn I had. This may be common sense, but :siren:Always check which revision of hardware you have before ordering parts for any mod:siren:, judging from button shape isn't enough. Though if you do have a model 2 32 pin and would like a red chip for less than $80, PM me for a great deal.

On a related note, I'm not a fan of Robert Webb (https://www.consolegoods.co.uk). I bought a Super UFO Drive 7(8? It's sitting in storage back in Oz) from him about ten years ago. I asked about PAL compatibility before purchasing and he straight up lied saying that the unit would function when a PAL cart was inserted to act as the CIC, promising it was 100% tested. It didn't work. He was of little help after the sale and hard to get any support/communication from. The thing was useless until I modded my SNES with a region switch. I'm only basing this opinion off my own experience, and any positive stories from people here may sway my opinion, but since then I've never heard anything good about dealings with him.

Ha, I did the same thing unfortunately I accidentally broke the card loving around with it so I had to throw it away :saddowns:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flyboi posted:

Uh, quit ignoring my posts, son, drat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In other news I'm having a ton of fun with Rhythm Tengoku (Rhythm Heaven) on GBA. I found an IPS patch that patches all the text from Japanese to English, so I actually know whats going on now. I have never played a game that is so razor sharp responsive. I almost wonder if they're doing some predictive stuff, or if its just that responsive.

Either way, I cant imagine this game would even work on an emulator or even the GBA player for the GC with the lag introduced by a modern TV. Definitely something to experience on the original hardware.

Also, iastudent, glad you had a good :homebrew: experience in Madison!!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Uh, quit ignoring my posts, son

I've been away on vacation for a while so it's hard to keep up :saddowns:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flyboi posted:

I've been away on vacation for a while so it's hard to keep up :saddowns:

either way, we can be rhythm tengoku buds :hfive:

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

Yeah the bulges are the resistors. They'd be way bigger bulges if it were capacitors. Just pull back on the sleeves and solder out the resistors. Do not remove the resistor that is jumping between two pins though (the resistor you can see since it is not under a sleeve).
Sounds good. Drakon also suggested I replace the resistors with 220uf capacitors as a safety precaution. Would doing that have any effect on the picture itself?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Vprisoner posted:

Sounds good. Drakon also suggested I replace the resistors with 220uf capacitors as a safety precaution. Would doing that have any effect on the picture itself?

Caps should just level out the signal and provide more consistency.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Heran Bago posted:

Yes I am very interested in GBA-size EZ Flash 3-in-1.

Ok, I'll be PMing you shortly.

fatpat268 posted:

I think I bought one from you before, but I'll buy another Ez flash 3 in 1 off of you if you're selling it.

I'm going to give the other guy a chance first since I did already sell you one, but if he's not really in I'll message you.

Ah good, I'll take a look. It even looks like on some models I don't have to solder anything, is that right? I'm a terrible solderer so that's a bonus.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

Ah good, I'll take a look. It even looks like on some models I don't have to solder anything, is that right? I'm a terrible solderer so that's a bonus.

Just the +5V wire. You have to try really hard to gently caress that one up though.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I always thought the Neo Geo Pocket Color was pretty snazzy so I almost always buy up every game I see and I don't see them very often. This is today's haul. About $75 total. All of them are complete but the cardboard boxes are of course pretty worn.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Biomotor Unitron is rad.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

G-Prime posted:

Caps should just level out the signal and provide more consistency.
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about what voltage the 220uf caps should have.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

DisposableHero posted:

I always thought the Neo Geo Pocket Color was pretty snazzy so I almost always buy up every game I see and I don't see them very often. This is today's haul. About $75 total. All of them are complete but the cardboard boxes are of course pretty worn.

Did Shmorky draw the box art for Pocket Tennis?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Vprisoner posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask about what voltage the 220uf caps should have.

It really doesn't matter, the signal isn't that strong. Should be fine with 10V or whatever you have lying around. Hell I think DC uses 6V on the OEM scart leads.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Picked up The Firemen (SFC, cart only) the other day for little money. Any idea if it will sell well and for how much?

Also got Super Valis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
UPDATE:

We're halfway through July, 2013 and there still aren't any reliable Game Boy flash carts or hard drives that replace disc drives for our favorite disc-based systems (other than that one guy in Russia making some for the 3DO).

Stay tuned for further updates.

• Locked thread