Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

AGirlWonder posted:

That used to scare the crap out of me when I was little, more than any other segment.

Speaking of kids and scary things, did anyone catch Courage, the Cowardly Dog? I was in the target audience, and loved it. I'm wondering how it goes for anyone not relying on nostalgia.

I still catch it on reruns. Its also on Netflix I believe. I like it a lot. Some of the episodes are genuinely unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Courage the Cowardly Dog is a VERY unsettling show that I love very much. Everything from the colors to the characters and voices are deliberately designed for maximum creepiness. It's a great show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Courage was on when I was a kid (I think it first started when I was like 9 or so), and some of the episodes genuinely scared the poo poo out of me. I think it was one of the only animated shows to do that to me at that age.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rough Lobster posted:

Courage the Cowardly Dog is a VERY unsettling show that I love very much. Everything from the colors to the characters and voices are deliberately designed for maximum creepiness. It's a great show.

It's kind of inconsistent, really. If you go back and watch the earliest episodes it's just a slightly weirder Looney Toons ripoff; I don't think it really caught its stride until later.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Watched The ABCs of Death last night on Netflix. There were a few moments of brilliance in an otherwise inconsistent mess. Two stars.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
So what do you you guys think of Creepshow 2? I just finished watching it and I don't even know how to respond. "The Raft" was good but I had already read the story years ago and it doesn't hold up to what I remember. The rest of the film is so 80s it hurts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

MantisToboggan posted:

So what do you you guys think of Creepshow 2? I just finished watching it and I don't even know how to respond. "The Raft" was good but I had already read the story years ago and it doesn't hold up to what I remember. The rest of the film is so 80s it hurts.
Against all odds it manages not to be the worst film George Kennedy was in. Not even the worst '80s horror flick he was in (which has to be Uninvited (1988), unless I'm not remembering something even more stinky).

And the fact that it's Dorothy Lamour's last film manages to not be the biggest disappointment in Dorothy Lamour's film career (which has to be getting demoted from being the female lead in The Road to Hong Kong (1962) because Bing Crosby thought she was getting too old).

So I guess I think it's not quite as bad as it could've been. It doesn't hold a candle to the original, though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MantisToboggan posted:

I mentioned this earlier, but I thought the framing story was painfully bad. Is The Raft the story with lake monster? If so that was the only part I really liked.

The original definitely has campy/dumb parts but they come off as fun, in the sequel they just feel lame to me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Resolution is worth watching (even with a kind of lovely ending) because god drat, you want these guys to survive and get to the bottom of the mystery. You genuinely care about these two guys, and that's refreshing.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

The original definitely has campy/dumb parts but they come off as fun, in the sequel they just feel lame to me.

That's pretty much how I felt. It seemed like something out of Goosebumps or Are You Afraid of the Dark? which I suppose is ironic considering those shows were just being discussed here.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Finlands Sexiest posted:

You guys might want to check out Pawn Shop Chronicles. The second story in it is just hosed up.

Despite not being horror, though the second story was pretty horrific, this was a pretty good recommendation. It was just wall to wall crazy/weird/over the top, in a good way. What an unfortunate name and synopsis, though. I must have passed it over at least have a dozen times thinking that it was just going to be a Pawn Stars: The Movie type of thing.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Thirding Pawn Shop Chronicles, especially for those who loved Running Scared. yeah, not really Horror but any reason to get more people to see a Wayne Kramer movie.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I watched A Field In England last night and I'm not really sure how I felt about it. I'm a big fan of Ben Wheatley but this was a little bit surreal for my tastes. Also it didn't help that I couldn't understand what people were saying more than half the time. The fact that it's a loving beautiful movie certainly helps it out, and there are some awesome shots and sequences. Anyone else seen it?

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I know I'm a bit late to the Shining miniseries discussion but I wanna take part, damnit! Especially since I just watched it last week.

One of the things that really bothered me was that Stephen Weber (the guy who played Jack) seemed like the all American Dad. When he finally went batshit insane, it seemed like it was out of nowhere...there had been no underlying tension or anything leading up to it.

I mean maybe I'm just too used to Nicholson's performance but I feel (other than maybe a bit over the top) he was better at cultivating a more tense and agitated feeling than Weber did.

Also the Danny in the miniseries looked like an Alien Chipmunk and nobody was particularly likable except maybe Halloran.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
Any recommendations of good horror movies for 12-year-olds? I have 8 of them sleeping over for my daughter's birthday, and they want to watch scary movies and scream all night.

I'm thinking some of the cheesier ones from the '80's might work -- "Night of the Comets<" maybe, or "Night of the Creeps?"

I remember developing my enjoyment of good horror movies around that time, but damned if I can remember what we watched.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Gate.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I Spit on Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, and Snowtown.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Edwardian posted:

Any recommendations of good horror movies for 12-year-olds? I have 8 of them sleeping over for my daughter's birthday, and they want to watch scary movies and scream all night.

I'm thinking some of the cheesier ones from the '80's might work -- "Night of the Comets<" maybe, or "Night of the Creeps?"

I remember developing my enjoyment of good horror movies around that time, but damned if I can remember what we watched.

We watched Return of the Living Dead at my 12th birthday. It's kind of gory though, and there is nudity so I'm not sure if you'd be able to show the kids that one. Recent horror movies like Insidious or Sinister may be more appropriate.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Edwardian posted:

Blair Witch Project and Scream? Though the latter does have a lot of cursing, gore, and Jamie Kennedy.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Edwardian posted:

What about Leprechaun? I think I was 9 or 10 when I watched that at a sleep over. The reason it's great is because kids that age will find it scary and if it gets too scary they can nervously giggle about how ridiculous the premise is. That's what we did. :3:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Edwardian posted:

What are your limitations? What kind of content do you not want your daughter exposed to?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Edwardian posted:

Gremlins! I think people forget how violent and scary it is sometimes. Nothing too awful for kids though. Evil Dead 2 might also work because the violence is ridiculous and over the top while being genuinely jumpy at times.

Alien is probably the scariest but not sadistically violent or sexual (well, the subtext is but you get what I mean) film I can think off the top of my head.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Edwardian posted:

Goosebumps is on Netflix, made for kids and has some nostalgia.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Edwardian posted:

Any recommendations of good horror movies for 12-year-olds?

Tremors
Gremlins
The Blob 1988
Evil Dead 2
Creepshow
Blair Witch

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Recently watched Thale and while not a total success, I appreciated what they did with a limited budget. The scene with the lead scientist describing how dangerous Thale actually was over her preparing to murder the poo poo out of the rest of his team was a good time. Some bad CGI, but they got a lot out of their idea in a quick 75 minutes, so huzzah.

Gonna throw in some love for We Are What We Are too. A fairly unique film and goes a couple of places I wasn't really expecting. Really enjoyed it.

And if 12 year olds are going to be watching horror films and Monster Squad isn't at least considered, then I have no idea what to tell you. Guess you could just go with ruining any sense of fun they're gonna have by playing the original Chainsaw on a loop and not letting anyone get up to go to the bathroom or anything.

Wait, don't do that.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 15, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is Thale reminiscent of Splice? I kept getting that feeling watching the trailer.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is Thale reminiscent of Splice? I kept getting that feeling watching the trailer.

Definitely some similar things here and there with that and Species. She's of course super strong and animalistic as hell when pressed, but is actually quite sweet at times and never the monster Sil is. The Splice comparison could be made because the scientist(who's already dead when the film starts) who steals her from the research lab was essentially trying to raise her as a normal child (through some fairly hosed up methods admittedly) and essentially acting as a parent to her despite the fact that this was obviously never going to work out.

It's also got some very nice performances by its' leads. I was expecting something like Trollhunter and instead got a film that takes itself pretty seriously and somehow manages to pull it off despite it's batshit plot.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

We watched Return of the Living Dead at my 12th birthday. It's kind of gory though, and there is nudity so I'm not sure if you'd be able to show the kids that one. Recent horror movies like Insidious or Sinister may be more appropriate.

12 years old is the best age to watch RotLD part 2. Or a few years younger.

Also seconding The Gate.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I would worry about showing some of these classic 80s horror movies to them. You know, the kids now adays, dismissing the stuff from the previous generation, etc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Showing Evil Dead 2 to a group of 12 year old girls seems like a bad idea, unless you want their parents to forever ban them from your house. Yeah it can be goofy, but it's also super gory and they are probably too young for most of the dark humor.

I suggest Poltergeist.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you want to scare the crap out of a room full of 12 year olds, I think The Ring would be your best bet.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

axleblaze posted:

If you want to scare the crap out of a room full of 12 year olds, I think The Ring would be your best bet.

This is the right answer.

As much as I love the thought that 12 year old girls would appreciate Evil Dead 2 or Creepshow, I think The Ring is much better suited. It's also scary as poo poo.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Play Salo for them and then hold a roundtable discussion about the film, its' message and the act of coprophagy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

12 is a delicate age, it's right when kids should be sneaking around to watch super violent r-rated movies but their parents definitely shouldn't be in on it.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

axleblaze posted:

Yes. Hell, I was 17 when I saw it in the theatre and it still scared the poo poo out of me.

I know there are mixed opinions on Insidious, but it is only PG-13 and managed to creep me out in a few parts.

Also, I have heard from several people that Arachnophobia scared the hell out of them when they were kids. These people I know did not have a fear of spiders before they saw the movie. Worth a try, anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

12 is a delicate age, it's right when kids should be sneaking around to watch super violent r-rated movies but their parents definitely shouldn't be in on it.

Yeah. I feel like a movie like Monster Squad is more about being nostalgic about being 12 rather than actually being 12.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first Saw came out when I was 14 and I saw it soon after it came out. I'd recommend it :unsmigghh:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah. I feel like a movie like Monster Squad is more about being nostalgic about being 12 rather than actually being 12.

Eh, I must admit, you're probably right on this one.

The Descent might be a decent pick for the evening by the by.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Why not just leave a bunch of DVDs out and let them choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glamorama26 posted:

Definitely some similar things here and there with that and Species. She's of course super strong and animalistic as hell when pressed, but is actually quite sweet at times and never the monster Sil is. The Splice comparison could be made because the scientist(who's already dead when the film starts) who steals her from the research lab was essentially trying to raise her as a normal child (through some fairly hosed up methods admittedly) and essentially acting as a parent to her despite the fact that this was obviously never going to work out.

Sil is the monster in Species. The creature in Splice is called Dren.