Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Polymerized Cum posted:

I have yet to meet anyone who enjoyed or will recommend an accelerated PPL program.

I took the recommendation of a good friend to grind it out piece by piece in a C150, and i'm enjoying every minute.

Did you find an FBO that has CFIs and rentals or did you find your own CFI and rent independently? Or some other option...

VOR LOC posted:

Unfortunately that's the way the whole industry is going. Shorter and shorter training schedules that don't allow the pilots attending them to learn anything useful. Private, commercial and corporate training is all the same and it is all starting to suck.

That is really disappointing. I'm 30 now and have always had an intense interest in aircraft. I travel a lot for work and I've found myself more and more interested in the whole process, not only to have a better understanding of what's happening around me as a passenger, but also balance the total grind of commercial travel with the freedom of private piloting.

My goal is to eventually be able to fly the ~300nm up to Cleveland to visit family rather than drive.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I did a sort of an accelerated PPL with the Air Cadets here in Canada. We did it in seven weeks and let me tell you that was about as fast as I would dare anyone do it. It was pretty much an 8-5 job five days a week; I can't even imagine what it would be like doing it in two weeks... :psyboom:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Did you find an FBO that has CFIs and rentals or did you find your own CFI and rent independently? Or some other option...

That is really disappointing. I'm 30 now and have always had an intense interest in aircraft. I travel a lot for work and I've found myself more and more interested in the whole process, not only to have a better understanding of what's happening around me as a passenger, but also balance the total grind of commercial travel with the freedom of private piloting.

My goal is to eventually be able to fly the ~300nm up to Cleveland to visit family rather than drive.

My CFI is a pilot I work with, who gives me a slightly discounted rate. She also knows my work schedule, and will torment me if I cancel a session.

My rental is through a local FBO that she has a connect with.

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

Don't do it. Do a couple flights per week for a couple of months. Fly in a few different seasons. Enjoy it.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Also:

1) Rent the rattiest, most homely looking Tomahawk or 150 you can find. As long as it's safe, the money you spend renting time in a prettier plane is doing absolutely nothing for your logbook.

2) Agree to terms with your CFI ahead of time regarding cancellations due to weather, maintenance, NOTAMS or whatever. It's best not to find out later on that you're stuck paying $85/hr to sit in the hangar because the vice admiral of Botswana is in town and your airport is NOTAMed closed.

3) Study study study. Grab a sectional, find two airports and plan a flight. Get weather info and calculate winds aloft and fuel burn. Now do it again.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In regards to #1, I'm 6'1" 255lbs so that plus a full tank puts me right under the useful load. I was looking at 142/150 and discovered that issue, which is why I was looking at 172 rates as it has a ~760lbs useful load.

Other two points make total sense.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

From what I've seen those accelerated programs are only good for someone already well versed in the knowledge side and basically experienced with flight. They then can just go and knock out the requirements for the license. I went (stupidly) went to an accelerated-type school that ended up ending my pilot carreer-attempt as well as many others due to scamming us students (we should have known better, though). I already had my PPL from a well accredited 141 school which took me a year to get due to my work schedule. Years later when I attended this new school and was getting my bi-annual done as well as checked out for their planes, even though I hadn't flown in a few years, I was doing things better than the instructor who was 'training' me. He was fresh out of the accelerated program and I was his first student. Like was said earlier, they teach you how to pass tests and that's mostly it.

What's ideal is to find a school with a good reputations that gives block time discounts if planning anything long term like a license or rating.

Also, that Cessna mentioned earlier will be a great donation to an A&P school nearby. Mine had a 121 that severely educated many of us. Too bad nothing worked so we could see our tedious work in action. My favorite was the lavatory which was a curtain around a bucket made to look like a toilet.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is the NAFI a good way to find a CFI? The two schools near me are very much geared toward commercial/for hire training using super accelerated programs. Seem like it'd be possible to find a "freelance" CFI that'd be willing to use his own plane as part of the rate.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

MrChips posted:

I did a sort of an accelerated PPL with the Air Cadets here in Canada. We did it in seven weeks and let me tell you that was about as fast as I would dare anyone do it. It was pretty much an 8-5 job five days a week; I can't even imagine what it would be like doing it in two weeks... :psyboom:

I also did the air cadet program. One thing about it was that all of the students were previously licensed on gliders so we soloed less than 7 days after arriving on average.

We also spent the first four weeks on a pretty tight schedule cramming in every bit we needed to pass the MOT exam.

It would be pretty miraculous to get two weeks of good VFR weather around these parts.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

helno posted:

I also did the air cadet program. One thing about it was that all of the students were previously licensed on gliders so we soloed less than 7 days after arriving on average.

We also spent the first four weeks on a pretty tight schedule cramming in every bit we needed to pass the MOT exam.

It would be pretty miraculous to get two weeks of good VFR weather around these parts.

Same thing here. I did not do the glider scholarship and I soloed mid-pack between all the glider graduates. It was fast, we only trained 5 days a week, but the first people finished around week 5.5 and no one more than 6.

I think it's theoretically possible to do the 40 hours of ground training and 40 hours of flight training in two weeks but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Jealous Cow posted:

Is the NAFI a good way to find a CFI? The two schools near me are very much geared toward commercial/for hire training using super accelerated programs. Seem like it'd be possible to find a "freelance" CFI that'd be willing to use his own plane as part of the rate.

Cfi's with their own airplanes are usually pretty hard to find in that most Cfi's are young dudes building time to get other commercial jobs. If you can find a Cfi/Cfii at a small fbo near your house that might be your best bet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That almost makes up for losing the Schwalbe and the Mosquito. Almost

Well, The Lancaster eased the sting of no Mossie today

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

helno posted:

I also did the glider course the year before my PPL; funny you mention the weather because in my gliding year we lost almost two weeks to bad weather (including the first ten days or so because the airport turned into a sea of mud and mosquitoes), and we lost almost the same amount in the PPL course the following year.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Dude catches a baseball dropped from 1,200 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_xU63of7-s

He is one brave motherfucker to stand under a R-44 for that long

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the Thunderbirds are coming back.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/15/air-force-budget-cuts-thunderbirds/2517505/

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Polymerized Cum posted:

I've actually been to that stadium.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

MrChips posted:

I also did the glider course the year before my PPL; funny you mention the weather because in my gliding year we lost almost two weeks to bad weather (including the first ten days or so because the airport turned into a sea of mud and mosquitoes), and we lost almost the same amount in the PPL course the following year.

When/where did you do your course? I was CRGS in 98 and power at KW in 2000

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Military got some money from somewhere. There have been an assload of them in the air over the past week or two.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

fknlo posted:

Military got some money from somewhere. There have been an assload of them in the air over the past week or two.

Last week I was training on a new route and about an hour out of town we (my trainer and I) see a pair of A-10s from the local ANG unit circling around. One comes around in front of us over the highway, points his nose directly at our car then pulls up hard probably 3-500 feet above us.

I got to be an A-10s target. :v:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Last week I was training on a new route and about an hour out of town we (my trainer and I) see a pair of A-10s from the local ANG unit circling around. One comes around in front of us over the highway, points his nose directly at our car then pulls up hard probably 3-500 feet above us.

I got to be an A-10s target. :v:

Didn't someone in another thread say that A-10 pilots for practice hang out in pairs above an interstate and "call" cars for each other to target?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Polymerized Cum posted:

Didn't someone in another thread say that A-10 pilots for practice hang out in pairs above an interstate and "call" cars for each other to target?

Probably. I've done similar things with F-16s.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Polymerized Cum posted:

If you're driving a Range Rover or Jaguar, duck.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Polymerized Cum posted:

In high school, I lived next to a F-117 pilot. I thought it was cool when the stealths would fly over our house at night. I found out that the guys planning the missions would put the lat/lon of pilots' houses as bomb points. When the jets were flying over at midnight, they were practicing putting a 500lb bomb through my neighbor's front window.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Probably. I've done similar things with F-16s.

Do you score using the HUD film?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

If you're driving a Range Rover or Jaguar, duck.

Range rover is probably better armoured than a T90 anyway

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

I was wondering. The navy has been ramping up training flights and this morning we got overrun with air force T1s.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Polymerized Cum posted:

Can't help but think I'd stick my hand out of my sunroof, make a gun shape and fire back :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you score using the HUD film?

As far as we (AWACS) were concerned, if they said they saw it/got it, they did. On our end, the training was effective whether they told the truth or not.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

helno posted:

When/where did you do your course? I was CRGS in 98 and power at KW in 2000

I'm Prairie region; Gliding at Penhold/Innisfail in 1999 and power in Edmonton in 2000.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SybilVimes posted:

Range rover is probably better armoured than a T90 anyway

Not these piece of poo poo American market export versions, it's nothing but electrical glitches and poor fuel mileage. Also the operators don't have near the level of tactical training.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Question for those of you well versed in FAA certificate requirements:

I have a commercial rotary wing certificate with an instrument rating and would like to rent an R44 from a commercial company for sightseeing use. Does a commercial certificate have all the benefits attributed by a private certificate (since a commercial prerequisite is to hold a private cert)? I'm a military pilot, mind you, so I have never been issued a formal FAA private certificate.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In high school, I lived next to a F-117 pilot. I thought it was cool when the stealths would fly over our house at night. I found out that the guys planning the missions would put the lat/lon of pilots' houses as bomb points. When the jets were flying over at midnight, they were practicing putting a 500lb bomb through my neighbor's front window.

There was a story a few years ago of an Australian F111 commander getting into trouble running training missions on his ex girlfriend's house.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aargh posted:

There was a story a few years ago of an Australian F111 commander getting into trouble running training missions on his ex girlfriend's house.

"Why are we supposed to hit this waypoint at exactly M1.0 over a residential neighborhood at sea level?!"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Aargh posted:

Best commander :allears:

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Polymerized Cum posted:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17052608/Terminal-Velocity-Of-a-Falling-Baseball
The answer is on page 6.All in all not that impressed. A pitcher can throw a ball faster than that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Triggs posted:

Question for those of you well versed in FAA certificate requirements:

I have a commercial rotary wing certificate with an instrument rating and would like to rent an R44 from a commercial company for sightseeing use. Does a commercial certificate have all the benefits attributed by a private certificate (since a commercial prerequisite is to hold a private cert)? I'm a military pilot, mind you, so I have never been issued a formal FAA private certificate.

Yes.

A commercial certificate replaces a private certificate, and can be used for anything that would require a private certificate.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

otaku69 posted:

All in all not that impressed. A pitcher can throw a ball faster than that.

A grade schooler can throw a ball faster than that. 80 feet/second is only 55 mph.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Aargh posted:

There was also one where the defense minister was giving the RAAF poo poo, so they ran an F111 bombing mission on his office window (whilst he was in there).

The whole thing came out when someone (i.e a RAAF higher-up) leaked the gun camera - or whatever it's called - footage, causing the expected shitstorm embarrassing that minister. A day or two later someone else (the minister) leaked that the ministers office was actually the one directly above the one that was targeted, which the minister tried to spin about the incompetence of the RAAF, until the RAAF spokesman publicly pointed out that a 2000lb bomb going into the office immediately below yours will have much the same effect.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 16, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

otaku69 posted:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17052608/Terminal-Velocity-Of-a-Falling-Baseball
The answer is on page 6.All in all not that impressed. A pitcher can throw a ball faster than that.

they tacked that bit on at the end about him thinking he might break his hand or his neck, because :siren:DANGER:siren:, but whats actually impressive is picking up the ball and tracking it from that distance. A bit of wind and that ball could have landed 50' from where he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Polymerized Cum posted:

Well that would certainly explain why it always looked like an A-10 was going to attack me when heading to/from BOI along interstate 84.