Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiliconCow
Jul 14, 2001
01 Camry is going to cost more in repairs than what I could probably sell it for less what I can get for it now from junkmycar.

Proposed Budget: ~$20-26k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Sedan

Looking at an aged Acura TL, TSX, or BMW 3series (3-4 years old, 50-60k miles). Also considering a higher spec'd new or used Accord. The accord would be comfortable and the cheapest TCO which I appreciate. The acura might strike a reasoned middle-ish ground between the accord and BMW - still 'luxury' but I'm betting it'll be significantly less overall cost maintenance/repair costs vs the BMW both due to brand and because I'll be able to get one with much lower milage.. And on the end of the spectrum the 3series is the canonical luxury performance sedan and I definitely appreciate driving them - the handful of times I have. Honestly I can see myself regretting the BMW purchase either way... mostly owed to my own particular spending pathology.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
2010 Genesis V8, 2010 Pontiac G8 GT or 2010 Cadillac CTS.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

SiliconCow posted:

01 Camry is going to cost more in repairs than what I could probably sell it for less what I can get for it now from junkmycar.

Proposed Budget: ~$20-26k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Sedan

Looking at an aged Acura TL, TSX, or BMW 3series (3-4 years old, 50-60k miles). Also considering a higher spec'd new or used Accord. The accord would be comfortable and the cheapest TCO which I appreciate. The acura might strike a reasoned middle-ish ground between the accord and BMW - still 'luxury' but I'm betting it'll be significantly less overall cost maintenance/repair costs vs the BMW both due to brand and because I'll be able to get one with much lower milage.. And on the end of the spectrum the 3series is the canonical luxury performance sedan and I definitely appreciate driving them - the handful of times I have. Honestly I can see myself regretting the BMW purchase either way... mostly owed to my own particular spending pathology.

Thoughts?

Ditch them all and get an Infiniti G. Great reliability and much better performance than all of those cars, assuming the BMW is not a 335. The G is much better car than the 323 from a performance:value perspective. The 335 is likely a slightly better car, but they cost a lot more than a G and are no where near as reliable. Go drive a G if you havent, you'll see.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 14, 2013

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Saltin posted:

Ditch them all and get an Infiniti G. Great reliability and much better performance than all of those cars, assuming the BMW is not a 335. The G is much better car than the 323 from a performance:value perspective. The 335 is likely a slightly better car, but they cost a lot more than a G and are no where near as reliable. Go drive a G if you havent, you'll see.

I just bought a 2009 G37x and holy hell it is fun to drive and luxurious enough for my tastes. I managed to find an incredible deal (paid less than 21k for one with 35,000 miles on it) but you should be able to find one within your budget.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Thirding the G. I daily drive an EX35 and the sedan has the same powertrain and interior features (well from the front seats forward). It's worlds better than a 3 series for the interior. You can easily get one with fairly low miles in your price range.

Maultaschen
Jan 19, 2004

My 2000 Subaru has three transmission leaks, and needs to have the transmission rebuilt at 225k. I don't have the cash to do that, so I'm going to have to finance something. I can spare $1000 down at this time, and if I'm lucky I can get another $500-$1000 for the Subaru.

Proposed Budget: 9,000 - 11,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 5-door compact, 5- or 4-door anything else.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 46 miles round trip, about 3-5 times a week.
What aspects are most important to you? Not having major expenses until I've paid it off. Being comfortable with a 48 month loan. I'll probably have this long enough to need it to fit a car seat without major space issues.

Note: I'm lucky in that I can borrow my dad's car for long stretches of time, and use the Subaru for short trips in the meantime. Any additional savings that allows me to build will go to a larger down payment, but won't significantly change my budget.

I'm also saving for a wedding and honeymoon, so there's that.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So I finally have a job that requires a commute instead of walking downtown, and have decided on looking into buying a car again. I can drive my girls mini cooper most days of the week and carpool a few others, but the mini kind of sucks in the snow, and the commute is about 80% highway, and the transportation district here is pretty bad about not getting things plowed in time.

Things I am looking for: Preferably AWD, preferably a hatch, some power for highway speeds, something that isn't going to rape me in repairs or gas mileage, and something that is going to last me a while. I have excellent credit (750+),My budget is about 15-16k, and I have been looking at used WRX wagons, and used Audi wagons (can you tell I prefer hatches?). Any obvious stuff I am likely overlooking?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You care about repairs and fuel economy and the only 2 things you are looking at are a used WRX and used Audis? Are you posting ironically?

Well 16K I think you can get into a B7 A4 with the 3.2l V6, the fuel economy is terrible I'm sure but otherwise those can't be that bad can they?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 15, 2013

Kofi Annan
Jan 30, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Proposed Budget: $60,000 max (Canadabux)
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan or sport coupe
How will you be using the car?: Primarily urban driving with the occasional trip to the mountains, so the car will need to be able to handle decent amounts of snow and variable conditions.
What aspects are most important to you? Luxury/comfort primarily, decent fuel economy would be nifty. I'm a pretty large guy at 6'3", and have a hard time finding cars that I feel comfortable sitting in, so finding something that has sufficient space between my legs and the steering wheel, and head clearance are important factors for me. I've done the beater thing and after saving up, really would like to transition into a more stylish luxury car.

I've driven the bmw 3 and 5 series and liked them, and while I'd love a Z4 it'd be hugely impractical as a daily car given the winters here. I also really like the look of the Infiniti g37, but don't know how it stacks up against other cars in my price range.

Kofi Annan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 15, 2013

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I'm back, mostly because my grandma can no longer drive and she's offered me her car. I am unsure if I want to take it.

Proposed Budget: $3000-$5000
Body Style: Sedan, but prefer hatchback, wagon, small truck/SUV/crossover thingie.
How will you be using the car?: Short weekend trips, longer trips (800+ miles round trip) 2-3 times per year, possible short-distance commuting a few times per week.
What aspects are most important to you?: Low cost of ownership/repairs, functionality.

The Car In Question: 2001 Ford Taurus (unsure of trim). 43,XXX miles. She is the first and only owner. It's been in a few fender-benders (usually her running into stationary objects), and it runs well. Maintenance has been neglected in the past, mostly because she doesn't drive it much and she doesn't understand that, yes, you do still need to get the tires rotated and the oil changed and all that. It's a fine car and it looks excellent inside and out, but it's not my style and it's not as functional for what I'd like. When I think of moving, carting dogs around, and beach trips, "Ford Taurus" is not the first, fifth, or fifteenth car on my mind, but it's big and comfortable and would work fine.

My Other Option: See if grandma is okay with me selling the car and buying something a bit more in line with what I want. KBB and Craigslist make me think I could ask between $3000-$5000 for it. Does that seem right? It is reasonable to expect I could find a decent hatch, wagon, or small truck/SUV in that price range?

My Needs: I am leaving for school in a few weeks. I plan to walk/use public transit most of the time, but would like a car for weekend trips and visits home. I will also be looking for work and may have school obligations off campus, and while the bus goes where I need it, the schedule doesn't always work out. This would be an occasional driver, and I'm anticipating putting under 5000 miles on it in the next year. I have considered the on-campus Zipcars, but there are only two and the limited availability worries me. Rental cars are also an option, but from what I've put together the cost of renting as often as I'd like and the cost of ownership on a car that's being given to me level out, assuming there are no major repairs. If there are, the car can sit until I can afford them or be sold off and I can return to public transit only.

I should note this is Northern California: hilly, rainy, and on the ocean.

So should I take the free car and keep it? Should I take it and sell it? Should I never again touch an early 2000's Ford and pray nothing happens to me?

RabbitMage fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 16, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know much about cars, but I do know a little about college and how little it sounds like you'll use it. I would keep it and save up for a nicer car in the future. $3,000 - $5,000 isn't much and you would probably be better off having that money for college or post-college flexibility.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Those Tauruses had transmissions that were utter garbage, you shouldn't be surprised if you need a new one soon especially if it has the more powerful DOHC engine (the 3.0l OHV might last a bit longer since it only made like 140hp). Ford and GM worked hard in the 1990s to make sure anyone who bought a domestic FWD car never made that mistake again.

I think you should keep it, since you don't drive it much, and need it more as a "car in being", the long term reliability might be OK if you don't drive it too hard.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

Those Tauruses had transmissions that were utter garbage, you shouldn't be surprised if you need a new one soon especially if it has the more powerful DOHC engine (the 3.0l OHV might last a bit longer since it only made like 140hp). Ford and GM worked hard in the 1990s to make sure anyone who bought a domestic FWD car never made that mistake again.

I think you should keep it, since you don't drive it much, and need it more as a "car in being", the long term reliability might be OK if you don't drive it too hard.

The one good thing is that Taurus transmissions are cheap as hell at any junkyard in North America. Probably cheaper than a clutch for my subaru.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given it's been driven by a literal grandma for a mere 43k miles in the space of 12 years, I suspect the auto trans has not exactly been stressed. I doubt it'll be a big issue.

I'd hang on to it on the principle that it's probably mechanically sound, it's a "known known" and some "known unknowns", compared to any used car you can get off of Craigslist for $3k being a lot more "unknown unknowns". That is, a lot more likely to have some serious mechanical issue that you won't know about. Presumably you know exactly what maintenance your grandma did or didn't do. Get it checked out by a mechanic, of course, and if it has a serious issue (like a dying transmission) that changes the story a lot.

And to answer that question more directly: $3k to $5k is a reasonable amount of money to buy an older, high-mileage vehicle which runs, but probably has significant condition issues and/or major pending work. With this kind of car, the condition of a specific example outweighs the more general reputation for a given make/model/year. This makes it hard to recommend something particular. If you do decide to sell the Taurus and buy a used car, you should get a thorough Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPO) from a trusted independent mechanic before purchasing anything, and budget a good $1k spare for whatever deferred or neglected maintenance needs to be done in the first six months. $2k might be better.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Leperflesh posted:

Given it's been driven by a literal grandma for a mere 43k miles in the space of 12 years, I suspect the auto trans has not exactly been stressed. I doubt it'll be a big issue.

A grandma that almost certainly did not do the scheduled service on the transmission, or any other part of the car. That is on top of the fact that even a well-maintained AXOD/AX4N/4F50N is the worst loving lump of scrap steel ever to sit between the fenders of a production automobile. It's not a question of whether or not it will fail, it's a question of when.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Well, this car did go from California to Kansas and back. Twice.

I can see if I can check the service records (I am certain she has them) and see about having a mechanic take a peek at it to see what kind of shape it's in.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Throatwarbler posted:

You care about repairs and fuel economy and the only 2 things you are looking at are a used WRX and used Audis? Are you posting ironically?

Well 16K I think you can get into a B7 A4 with the 3.2l V6, the fuel economy is terrible I'm sure but otherwise those can't be that bad can they?

Well, luckily for me, I live in a state with a lot of specialized Subaru repair places. Several of my friends have subarus and they all seem to really like them, I've asked about repairs, and for the most part they have said if you do the maintenance you wont have very many problems. I was only mentioning audis because they are in the same price range, but am unsure what upkeep and repairs on them cost. So lets go with: AWD car/wagon, decent highway power, $15,000 budget, something thats going to get more than 20mpg highway, and isn't going to break down or need new parts every 5,000 miles. I'm open to any other suggestions too, they don't have to be an audi or subaru. (I will not buy a juke, both of my parents have one).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Old Man Pants posted:

and isn't going to break down or need new parts every 5,000 miles.

Well now that we have eliminated Ferrari and Lamborghini...

Go test drive a WRX, Mazdaspeed3, Mazdaspeed6, and the Nissan Juke R.

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
Hello good sirs. I've got a 2008 Honda Fit. It has been great, but I want to upgrade.

Some things my Fit lacks: Cruise control, Bluetooth/aux input, remote door unlocking, acceleration.

Some things the Fit does well on: Spacious interior, room for lots of poo poo on road trips, gas mileage.

Proposed Budget:
$20-30k. I could go higher, but I don't know why I should. I honestly don't know what makes some cars cost more than this.

Body Style:
Coupe, Sport, Sedan, or hatchback.
At least 4 seats. Probably at least 4 doors, but I could budge on that.
Room for more than zero suitcases. More than 1 would be nice.

How will you be using the car?
My median drive distance is like 3 miles, but I do 250-400 mile (each way) road trips 5-10 times a year.

What aspects are most important to you?
Comfort. Cool factor >= honda fit.
I live in Las Vegas, so air conditioning.

Some car-relevant things to know about me:
I've never bought a car before. I've never test driven a car before.
I have driven sedans, SUVs, trucks, and vans, but I've never driven a sports car or luxury car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mathhole posted:

Proposed Budget:
$20-30k. I could go higher, but I don't know why I should. I honestly don't know what makes some cars cost more than this.
but I've never driven a sports car or luxury car.

Well, that would explain that.

Your wants are kind of vague ("comfort" means different things to different people), and for ~30k (or a bit more) your options are vast. I think you should go out and test drive a variety of new cars and report back with what you liked/didn't like. Or at least some more specific desires, or even some models you're sort of considering. Does "upgrade" from a Fit mean you want something nicer, bigger, faster, better handling, more luxurious? Or do you just basically want another Fit (or similar economy car) with a higher trim level and more gizmos?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Buy a Prius. It has a motherfucking solar panel on the roof that runs the AC when the car is parked in the sun. Also does all the other poo poo on your list.

quote:

Go test drive a WRX, Mazdaspeed3, Mazdaspeed6, and the Nissan Juke R.

He doesn't want a Juke, the MS3 isn't AWD, the MS6 is an unreliable gas hog and so is the WRX(well, a gas hog anyway. Reliability probably depends on the previous owner).

Try a CRV, FOrester or RAV4.

Kofi Annan posted:

Proposed Budget: $60,000 max (Canadabux)
Body Style: Sedan or sport coupe
How will you be using the car?: Primarily urban driving with the occasional trip to the mountains, so the car will need to be able to handle decent amounts of snow and variable conditions.
What aspects are most important to you? Luxury/comfort primarily, decent fuel economy would be nifty. I'm a pretty large guy at 6'3", and have a hard time finding cars that I feel comfortable sitting in, so finding something that has sufficient space between my legs and the steering wheel, and head clearance are important factors for me. I've done the beater thing and after saving up, really would like to transition into a more stylish luxury car.

I've driven the bmw 3 and 5 series and liked them, and while I'd love a Z4 it'd be hugely impractical as a daily car given the winters here. I also really like the look of the Infiniti g37, but don't know how it stacks up against other cars in my price range.

I'd say get a V6 Chrysler 300. You can get the Luxury series with the nicer interior, AWD, 8 speed trans, and save the other $20k. Yes you can spend the whole $60k on a 5 series or a CTS-V but for your purposes I don't see what the point would be other than wasting fuel and tires.

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

Guinness posted:

Well, that would explain that.

Your wants are kind of vague ("comfort" means different things to different people), and for ~30k (or a bit more) your options are vast. I think you should go out and test drive a variety of new cars and report back with what you liked/didn't like. Or at least some more specific desires, or even some models you're sort of considering. Does "upgrade" from a Fit mean you want something nicer, bigger, faster, better handling, more luxurious? Or do you just basically want another Fit (or similar economy car) with a higher trim level and more gizmos?

I don't really follow cars. I don't even know what a good range of cars to test drive might be. Can you help me make a test drive list?

Throatwarbler posted:

Buy a Prius. It has a motherfucking solar panel on the roof that runs the AC when the car is parked in the sun. Also does all the other poo poo on your list.

Holy poo poo. I had no idea such a thing existed. It's added to the test-drive list.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mathhole posted:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea such a thing existed. It's added to the test-drive list.

I remembered wrong. It doesn't actually run the AC, but an HVAC fan to pull hot air out, and also it's only available on the top end trim. However the AC is electric instead of belt drive and you can actually turn it on and have it run for 3 minutes with the keyfob before getting into the car which is still pretty good.

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011
Proposed Budget: $22-26k
Body Style: Mid-size sedan
How will you be using the car?: 50/50 overland/highway driving
What aspects are most important to you? Driving feel, safety, RWD.

So right now I have a 2008 Infiniti EX35. It's a great car...for someone else. I basically disregarded emotion and picked it based on a test drive and spreadsheet criteria, but I find that it's more of sports car than what I like, which is a mid-size sedan with a low center of gravity. It also has poor rearward visibility, which is a liability on packed California highways. My favorite car I've had was a 1986 Mercedes 300E, which was basic, zippy and handled great. I'd like to find a spiritual sequel. What do you guys think?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mathhole posted:

I don't really follow cars. I don't even know what a good range of cars to test drive might be. Can you help me make a test drive list?

Check out a CPO BMW 335d. They are in a sporty chassis, will pull like no tomorrow (especially compared to your Fit), and will still get decent fuel economy (30-35mpg).

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 17, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mathhole posted:

To get a good sense for why more expensive cars cost more money, go test drive the BMW 335, the Audi A6, the Chrysler 300C, the Ford Mustang GT, the Volkswagen GTI and uh I don't know, that'll probably give you some sense of if you value the possible features that come with more money.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

symbebekos posted:

Proposed Budget: $22-26k
Body Style: Mid-size sedan
How will you be using the car?: 50/50 overland/highway driving
What aspects are most important to you? Driving feel, safety, RWD.

So right now I have a 2008 Infiniti EX35. It's a great car...for someone else. I basically disregarded emotion and picked it based on a test drive and spreadsheet criteria, but I find that it's more of sports car than what I like, which is a mid-size sedan with a low center of gravity. It also has poor rearward visibility, which is a liability on packed California highways. My favorite car I've had was a 1986 Mercedes 300E, which was basic, zippy and handled great. I'd like to find a spiritual sequel. What do you guys think?

How exactly is an EX35, an SUV, much more of a sports car than what you want?

Do you want a luxury sedan or something more basic?
That said, for a newer RWD mid-sized sedan your choices are:
BMW 5-series (3-series isn't mid-sized, though probably closer to an 80s 300E) -- Have some issues and need maintence
Infiniti G (which is a lowered EX, but will drive much better) or M (which is larger and a smoking deal)
Mercedes C and E class (Do not buy a $20k newer mercedes -- poorly built and unreliable)
Cadillac CTS (the newer one might be what you're looking for)
Lexus IS (maybe too small) or GS (too old people)
Pontiac G8 (get a v8 -- maybe too big?)
Chrysler 300C and Dodge Charger (If you're into that kind of thing)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don't forget the ATS!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I remembered wrong. It doesn't actually run the AC, but an HVAC fan to pull hot air out, and also it's only available on the top end trim. However the AC is electric instead of belt drive and you can actually turn it on and have it run for 3 minutes with the keyfob before getting into the car which is still pretty good.

If you'd be buying a new one, you might think about waiting a while - it looks like the 2015 model year will be the start of the 4th generation (if so, they'll probably announce something at the Detroit Auto Show next January):

http://blogs.automotive.com/spied-2015-toyota-prius-testing-in-la-traffic-139731.html

http://priuschat.com/threads/2015-toyota-ns4-advanced-plug-in-updates-photos-videos.128366/

And speaking of the Prius, I've just seen an incredible deal on a certified pre-owned 2012 Prius V with the advanced technology package ($26k where a new one would be around $36-37k). It has only around 17k miles and no reported damage. The one thing that has me concerned that it was originally purchased as a corporate fleet vehicle (which was the only prior owner). It's been said that former rental cars should be avoided, but is there any meaningful risk with a corporate fleet car?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cockmaster posted:

If you'd be buying a new one, you might think about waiting a while - it looks like the 2015 model year will be the start of the 4th generation (if so, they'll probably announce something at the Detroit Auto Show next January):

http://blogs.automotive.com/spied-2015-toyota-prius-testing-in-la-traffic-139731.html

http://priuschat.com/threads/2015-toyota-ns4-advanced-plug-in-updates-photos-videos.128366/

And speaking of the Prius, I've just seen an incredible deal on a certified pre-owned 2012 Prius V with the advanced technology package ($26k where a new one would be around $36-37k). It has only around 17k miles and no reported damage. The one thing that has me concerned that it was originally purchased as a corporate fleet vehicle (which was the only prior owner). It's been said that former rental cars should be avoided, but is there any meaningful risk with a corporate fleet car?

Well all right but I don't think many people are posting in this thread asking about still-unannounced cars that they are going to buy 18 months into the future.

nm posted:

BMW 5-series (3-series isn't mid-sized, though probably closer to an 80s 300E) -- Have some issues and need maintence
Infiniti G (which is a lowered EX, but will drive much better) or M (which is larger and a smoking deal)
Mercedes C and E class (Do not buy a $20k newer mercedes -- poorly built and unreliable)

Well if we're listing all of them,

First MY Jag XF should be getting into that price range
Hyundai Genesis
Mazda RX8
Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Car

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't forget the ATS!

Not for $26k

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011

nm posted:

The EX35 and Nissan Z series are both on the Nissan FM platform. All RWD Nissans are, but having driven my friend's 350Z it feels it works great for that car and not so great for the EX.

nm posted:

I'm not averse to basic, although from this list a used CTS seems most appealing. I think I'm done with Infinitis and Mercedes and BMW are probably asking for trouble.

Throatwarbler posted:

First MY Jag XF should be getting into that price range
Hyundai Genesis
Mazda RX8
Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Car

I hadn't considered the XF, which is a beautiful car. Is it a reliability nightmare?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

symbebekos posted:

I hadn't considered the XF, which is a beautiful car. Is it a reliability nightmare?
The XF has a very weird shifter, a knob that comes out of the console when you turn the car on. If it doesn't go up, you can't shift out of park.

I know you don't like you EX35, but I'd give the M35/37 a test drive. Really nice place to be, nice to drive, and the reliability is top notch (I can't vouch for the V8, no experience, but the v6 is bulletproof), and a hell of a lot of car for the money.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 17, 2013

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To get a good sense for why more expensive cars cost more money, go test drive the BMW 335, the Audi A6, the Chrysler 300C, the Ford Mustang GT, the Volkswagen GTI and uh I don't know, that'll probably give you some sense of if you value the possible features that come with more money.

Rock on. Thank you. This may take me a few weeks to do, but I'm on it.

New question: We're just a few months from when some of the 2014 vehicles will start coming out. Is that worth waiting for? I'm personally not in any dire need of a new car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mathhole posted:

Rock on. Thank you. This may take me a few weeks to do, but I'm on it.

New question: We're just a few months from when some of the 2014 vehicles will start coming out. Is that worth waiting for? I'm personally not in any dire need of a new car.

The 2014s are already out. Now is the time to buy 2013s at severely reduced prices.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

symbebekos posted:

Probably.

From the sounds of it you're not *that* big of a stickler for RWD are you? Because you could also consider a last generation Acura RL. It's AWD but the SH-AWD system apparently does this torque vectoring thing to the rear wheels that make it turn in more like a RWD car, and it's otherwise a pretty decent luxury full size car that doesn't have very good resale value compared to most Acura/Hondas.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
As a previous Acura RDX owner I can definitely say that their SH-AWD drive system is excellent and feels more like a RWD than a FWD. There's actually a display setting where you can watch the torque to the wheels to see where it's going.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Hi guys, I've been trying to look up reviews and details on this car but I can't figure out the exact model based on the ad. We've must moved to Rome and need to buy a car.

The ad is: http://www.autoscout24.it/Details.aspx?id=235434890&asrc=st

But it's in Italian. The gist of it is: Ford Fiesta, 4,500 euros (5917 USD) (private seller). New as of Feb 2007. 5 Seater, done 60,000km (37,500 miles). Diesel. Automatic transmission (must be an automatic transmission for the girlfriend, who is putting up the money for it).

It says Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Titanium Automatic 5 door. But I compare that to this list for Ford Fiestas from that era:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/ford/fiesta/hatchback-2002/

And I have no idea which one it actually is.

Similarly this review site for Ford Fiesta 2007s: http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/ford/fiesta/2007/single-page/

Has none that exactly matches that description.

So I suppose I'm just asking for either a clarification on the exact model (in case anybody can tell from the photos/ad), or just a recommendation based on that generation of Fiestas.

We're looking for a car that has these general qualities:

Proposed Budget: 5000 euros (7137 AUD, 6574 USD).
Body Style: Compact as hell (for parking in Rome), but with rear seats and luggage space that can transport 2 cats and maybe 4-5 suitcases. Preferably 4 door but 2 door is okay so long as we can get the luggage in and out.
How will you be using the car?: Driving to the station to get to work, and also taking it on weekend trips to different places in Italy, with or without the cats. We also want to be able to load all our junk into it (which isn't a lot, maybe 5 suitcases worth) when we move house. So a smart car is out, but we don't need a station wagon or a full-sized sedan.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Nope, we don't need luxury, just a reliable car that won't fall apart and cost a shitload for repairs now that it's getting a bit older.
What aspects are most important to you? Size, reliability & cost of maintenance, fuel efficiency (current petrol price is 2.50 USD per litre, or $USD 9.5 per US gallon).
We live in Rome.
Must have an automatic transmission.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 17, 2013

Kofi Annan
Jan 30, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

I'd say get a V6 Chrysler 300. You can get the Luxury series with the nicer interior, AWD, 8 speed trans, and save the other $20k. Yes you can spend the whole $60k on a 5 series or a CTS-V but for your purposes I don't see what the point would be other than wasting fuel and tires.

Is there a reason you'd recommend the Chrysler over the similarly priced 3 series? I never even thought about getting a Chrysler, I grew up thinking of Chrysler as having lower quality parts and being generally less reliable, but is this not the case anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

From the sounds of it you're not *that* big of a stickler for RWD are you? Because you could also consider a last generation Acura RL. It's AWD but the SH-AWD system apparently does this torque vectoring thing to the rear wheels that make it turn in more like a RWD car, and it's otherwise a pretty decent luxury full size car that doesn't have very good resale value compared to most Acura/Hondas.

I'm not married to RWD if I can get the same feel out of an advanced AWD system. That said, I think I might wait for the 2014 Caddy CTS to come out and see if it depresses the value of the older style, then buy one of those. Thanks guys!