Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

:siren: My RGGE:Summer Games package came! :siren:

I'm very excited to play Torneko: The Last Hope which I believe is a rogue-like/dungeon-crawl, which is a genre I love to death. Obviously any Dreamcast games are welcome in my house and all these of these are fantastic additions to my ever expanding collection. The Megaman disc is an enigma... apparently it's music published by Atlantic?? I'll have to find out more about this later.

Thank you Santa! Please identify yourself, the package was scuffed on your name and difficult to make out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I'm very excited to play Torneko: The Last Hope which I believe is a rogue-like/dungeon-crawl, which is a genre I love to death.

Bingo. It was made by Chunsoft, the same studio behind the Shiren the Wanderer roguelikes. There's I want to say 2 or 3 other SFC games in the series with Taloon as well.

Also, goon Doug Dinsdale worked on translating Torneko and from what I remember him saying, had little time & money to work on it. That combined with the game releasing with no fanfare and the relative nature of it meant it had no chance. :(

iastudent fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 15, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zenintrude posted:

I'm very excited to play Torneko: The Last Hope which I believe is a rogue-like/dungeon-crawl, which is a genre I love to death. Obviously any Dreamcast games are welcome in my house and all these of these are fantastic additions to my ever expanding collection. The Megaman disc is an enigma... apparently it's music published by Atlantic?? I'll have to find out more about this later.

Torneko is part of the Mystery Dungeon series. He's the merchant from Dragon Quest and goes into rogue-like dungeons to find things to sell. His first game was the original Mystery Dungeon game; if I remember correctly the one you received is the fourth Torneko game though the first one translated. Other Mystery Dungeon games are Shiren the Wanderer, Pokémon, and Druaga.

But hey, someone sent me a dusty box of dishes!

What's this?

Something tells me there's more to these gifts than meets the eye!

The Famicom game is the always popular Paris-Dakar Rally Special.

Thanks, Santa!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

zenintrude posted:

Thank you Santa! Please identify yourself, the package was scuffed on your name and difficult to make out.

Yay, I'm so glad they got there! When I read your genre preferences Torneko was the very first thing I thought of (a tiny part of me wanted to keep it, it's been on my hit list for a long time). The Mega Man thing is weird, it's a soundtrack that has pretty much nothing to do with the games, and as far as I know the music wasn't used in the TV show at all which it seems to be promoting. I wanted to get you some of the more expensive import DC games, or the twin sticks, but they were out of my budget and I don't own anything like that. If I ever win the lottery or marry someone rich I'll probably end up sending my giftee a giant crate full of awesome poo poo. Oh you like Neo-Geo stuff? Here have a working cabinet. :black101:

Also I apologize for my totally awful penmanship, 15 years of using a computer almost exclusively has ruined it. :downs:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

zenintrude posted:

Torneko is pretty awesome. I never actually finished it because I accidentally added an elemental damage thingamajig to my sword and certain areas got really frustrating. :(

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yay, I'm so glad they got there! When I read your genre preferences Torneko was the very first thing I thought of (a tiny part of me wanted to keep it, it's been on my hit list for a long time).

I just played the first dungeon in Torneko and it's incredible... the music is absolutely stunning and the game itself is a wonderful take on the rogue-like formula; it's a shame that games like this can't/won't come out on consoles any more. Thanks so much!

Does anyone know if Chocobo's Dungeon 2 is a worth pursuing once I beat Torneko?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheRedEye posted:

UPDATE:

We're halfway through July, 2013 and there still aren't any reliable Game Boy flash carts or hard drives that replace disc drives for our favorite disc-based systems (other than that one guy in Russia making some for the 3DO).

Stay tuned for further updates.

are those ps1 and dreamcast disc replacement projects still in development?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Does anyone know if Chocobo's Dungeon 2 is a worth pursuing once I beat Torneko?

My preference for the Mystery Dungeon series goes Shiren > Torneko > Druaga > Chocobo > Pokémon. I don't have Twinbee so I can't rate that one, but I really want to pick it up...

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Just took the resistors out. I'm probably gonna add the capacitors in later, getting nervous over my first soldering job is not how I'd want to put them in.
Before:

Without Resistors:

I honestly was expecting a bigger boost in brightness but I guess that's the best it can do. It's certainly a lot better looking either way. Increasing the gamma on the XRGB mini should help.

Edit: hahaha I forgot my plasma's naturally brighter, I'm pretty thrilled with the picture there.

Vprisoner fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 16, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

My preference for the Mystery Dungeon series goes Shiren > Torneko > Druaga > Chocobo > Pokémon. I don't have Twinbee so I can't rate that one, but I really want to pick it up...

I would also put the Izuna series somewhere in the middle. I certainly like the two DS games more than the Chocobo games.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For all those diehard Mega Man fans in here who can't get enough the fan made Mega Man Unlimited is now out
http://megaphilx.com/?page_id=26

It works with 360 controllers and has a system similar to Mega Man 9/10. It's hard as balls. I made it half way through two of the 8 stages before I said enough.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I appreciate fan made MM games, but they all tend to make them too hard and not as fun.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Harlock posted:

I appreciate fan made MM games, but they all tend to make them too hard and not as fun.

This one is supposedly really good.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Late to the thread here, but I'm definitely more of a gamer. I love collecting too, but they're video games - they're meant to be played and enjoyed. Let me put it this way: If I stumbled across a Nintendo World Championships cartridge at my Goodwill for $2, I'd be more thrilled than I ever have been in my life. I'd take it right home, pop it in my NES with my bare unwashed hands and and just play it. When I'm done, I'd put it in a nice case, stick it on my shelf, and occasionally enjoy it like the rest of my NES games. I mean, it's not like the value is going to drop anytime soon, and I'd never seal it right up so I couldn't ever play it again. I'd play it with my friends, we'd do the little competition, and if ever I have kids, I can flip it to pay for a good chunk of their college.

Video games are awesome, and keeping them sealed indefinitely is just an absolutely ridiculous concept. It's like paying a fortune to simulate those sad days at Target when you'd look at the games on the shelf but you couldn't have any.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 16, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Counterpoint: try playing Rainbow Man's stage blind with a 360 controller (which "sticks" sometimes in this game).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Yeah, Unlimited is pretty solid, and has some proper difficulty (unlike most bullshit romhacks).

If you're playing any 2D game with a 360 controller you need to reflect and find out where in your life you went wrong.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Man today was Retro Game Secret Santa day today because my gift arrived too!

CHRISTMAS IN JULY

SO MUCH CHEER I CANNOT STAND IT. Also pretty sure I have that green wrapping paper.

And the Haul.

The SFC game is Bahamut Lagoon, for some reason that got cut off when I cropped.

Thanks for the games, Bean (...whoever you are :v:)! Bahamut Lagoon was one I have always been interested in checking out, even if I can't read Japanese. I never owned Flashback on Genesis although I did play a bit of it on the Mac, but I know it's a classic, and Mutant Football is supposed to be loving amazing. And I've heard of Sword of Vermillion but know nothing about it, so I'm looking forward to that! The full hintbook is an added plus.

And while I already had Startropics, my copy has a dead battery, so maybe I can actually play it for real now! :)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DisposableHero posted:

I always thought the Neo Geo Pocket Color was pretty snazzy so I almost always buy up every game I see and I don't see them very often. This is today's haul. About $75 total. All of them are complete but the cardboard boxes are of course pretty worn.

I love how goofy and dumb the box art always is on Bubble Bobble games.

Also as someone posted earlier, the Ace Combat, Galaga, Dig Dug, and Mr. Driller series all take place in the same universe. Same United Government, same post-apocalypse. poo poo's fascinating.

http://ugsf-series.com/

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Keyboard Kid posted:

If you're playing any 2D game with a 360 controller you need to reflect and find out where in your life you went wrong.

I maintain that the silver one with the "transforming" d-pad is really good. You get the defacto pc controller and a really nice d-pad all in one. My worry is finding a replacement when mine wears out.

On other subjects: I like Sword of Vermillion. Trading it for a copy of Sonic and something else stupid was a regrettable act by younger me. It's a weird sort of "all rpgs to all people" kind of thing, encounters are action rpg, most of the game is overhead, but dungeons are first person. I get the feeling it was a kind of test bed for Phantasy Star 3 with all the novel features eventually thrown out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Is anyone else into playing & collecting original Gameboy & Gameboy color games? I'm really starting to rediscover and enjoy the system and am curious what are some of the fun, lesser known games to check out. I found this list while searching around and it seems pretty solid. Are there any other good roundups of GB games?

I want to stick mostly to the original GB & GBC games since I really love the simplicity of graphics, controls, and sound. Good games had to be supremely fun to play (like Tetris) in order to overcome the limitations of the medium. It almost feels like a lot of GB games were a second wind of the golden age of arcade games, especially the Gameboy games in the early 90's before there was a ton of licensed/franchise crap.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

mod sassinator posted:

Is anyone else into playing & collecting original Gameboy & Gameboy color games? I'm really starting to rediscover and enjoy the system and am curious what are some of the fun, lesser known games to check out. I found this list while searching around and it seems pretty solid. Are there any other good roundups of GB games?

I want to stick mostly to the original GB & GBC games since I really love the simplicity of graphics, controls, and sound. Good games had to be supremely fun to play (like Tetris) in order to overcome the limitations of the medium. It almost feels like a lot of GB games were a second wind of the golden age of arcade games, especially the Gameboy games in the early 90's before there was a ton of licensed/franchise crap.

Pokemon Pinball was my favourite GB game (aside from the main Pokemon games, of course) but I don't think it counts as "lesser known"

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Just got a question from a friend. He's just picked up an AES and has heard you can use Mega Drive power supplies with them. Anyone confirm this?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

H1KE posted:

Just got a question from a friend. He's just picked up an AES and has heard you can use Mega Drive power supplies with them. Anyone confirm this?

A photo from the racketboy forums of the Japanese AES power supply reveals it to be 10 volts, 1 amp, center pin negative which is, for all intents and purposes, a Genesis ac adapter. If the plug fits my guess would be "yes".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

Kirby's Pinball Land is one of my favorites. Zelda: Link's Awakening is my 2nd favorite Zelda game ever (after A Link to the Past). All of the Wario Land games are still great to this day, and Donkey Kong '94 is considered one of the best games ever made across all consoles (and fits your criteria perfectly).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really liked James Bond 007 on GB. It's a strange action adventure hybrid, almost like Zelda with guns but not as good. It's definitely the only James Bond game that plays out like a spy novel instead of nonstop shooting.

What I would do for a NOLF style James Bond game.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sizone posted:

A photo from the racketboy forums of the Japanese AES power supply reveals it to be 10 volts, 1 amp, center pin negative which is, for all intents and purposes, a Genesis ac adapter. If the plug fits my guess would be "yes".

Uh. Maybe. If it's an earlier model, it takes 5V. http://www.retrogamecave.com/neo-geo-ac_adapter.html

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

My latest video game pet peeve is enemies that crash into the ground and make you fall down or otherwise paralyze/freeze you. If I want to sit around and not interact with the game I'm playing I'll hit pause drat it. :argh:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is it possible to get a 360 controller or original gigantic Xbox controller and pay some guy to mod a good d-pad onto it?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Heran Bago posted:

Is it possible to get a 360 controller or original gigantic Xbox controller and pay some guy to mod a good d-pad onto it?

Anything is possible!

Real talk: this looks pretty nice.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 16, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Most of what's wrong with the D-Pad from it being on a long stem because Microsoft opted against putting a 2nd raised board just for the D-Pad to cut costs. Here's a picture of the internals:

You basically have to move that entire base every time you push a button. A proper modification would have to put the actual contacts on a raised platform of sorts, which was secured, and then have a traditional D-Pad on that. Not impossible, but definitely not easy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Quidnose posted:

And while I already had Startropics, my copy has a dead battery, so maybe I can actually play it for real now! :)
StarTropics! I just started playing that this past Saturday after having been fascinated by it for years and years. You are in for a treat :cool::respek::cool:

It's always been interesting to me how there's this original Nintendo IP that got a (fairly well-hyped, if I remember right) release and a sequel and yet it hasn't been nostalgia-mined to hell and back like, well, every other Nintendo IP.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Do any goons put those battery holder things in NES games? I hear with those you just have to open it up and switch out batteries like you would a watch and if they work and someone does it I'm thinking about getting it done for my games at some point so I don't have to worry about batteries dying anymore.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

juliuspringle posted:

Do any goons put those battery holder things in NES games? I hear with those you just have to open it up and switch out batteries like you would a watch and if they work and someone does it I'm thinking about getting it done for my games at some point so I don't have to worry about batteries dying anymore.

Just FYI, you'd still have to worry about them dying. It's just that they're easier to replace when they do. If the battery dies, or is removed, the save data is lost. The only way to prevent that is to back up the save data (USB CopyNES, or Retrode, for the consoles that can use it), or to have a secondary power source hooked up in parallel before you remove the battery. I've considered doing mods which include a secondary battery holder, so you can swap one at a time out and not lose data, long term, but haven't found a way that I like to actually do it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Most of what's wrong with the D-Pad from it being on a long stem because Microsoft opted against putting a 2nd raised board just for the D-Pad to cut costs. Here's a picture of the internals:

You basically have to move that entire base every time you push a button. A proper modification would have to put the actual contacts on a raised platform of sorts, which was secured, and then have a traditional D-Pad on that. Not impossible, but definitely not easy.

This is interesting. I always wondered why the XBox 360 d-pad is so abysmal. I can't play fighting games on it; my character always jumps when I press back.

I suppose you could get a Mad Catz wired 360 controller as those have normal D-Pads. I have no idea if Windows sees them as a Genuine XBox Controller® though, so I have no idea if it works natively with Steam games.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

juliuspringle posted:

Now that I've used my Retrode to pull my ancient saves from my SNES and GBx games I'm about to embark on a massive battery changing crusade. I've got a pretty good source for CR2032 batteries and the link in the OP for battery holders should be all I need.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Harwin/S8421-45R/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugroKgMqRF5lpIHcZ6NEyLCGl5ec7JhtISVsMkFtBSDxA%3d%3d

I'm going to be doing the Gameboy games first because they seem to be a lot easier. I've seen the electical tape version of this but I'm going to give the hot glue and/or solder method a try and see what happens. Once I get the method down it's SNES time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

G-Prime posted:

Just FYI, you'd still have to worry about them dying. It's just that they're easier to replace when they do. If the battery dies, or is removed, the save data is lost. The only way to prevent that is to back up the save data (USB CopyNES, or Retrode, for the consoles that can use it), or to have a secondary power source hooked up in parallel before you remove the battery. I've considered doing mods which include a secondary battery holder, so you can swap one at a time out and not lose data, long term, but haven't found a way that I like to actually do it.

This reminds me of another shortcoming of the CopyNES: it seems to prevent the Everdrive N8 from working (NES Powerpak still works fine). Fortunately I have a 2nd unmodded NES that the N8 works fine on.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Tyson Tomko posted:

Now that I've used my Retrode to pull my ancient saves from my SNES and GBx games I'm about to embark on a massive battery changing crusade. I've got a pretty good source for CR2032 batteries and the link in the OP for battery holders should be all I need.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Harwin/S8421-45R/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugroKgMqRF5lpIHcZ6NEyLCGl5ec7JhtISVsMkFtBSDxA%3d%3d

I'm going to be doing the Gameboy games first because they seem to be a lot easier. I've seen the electical tape version of this but I'm going to give the hot glue and/or solder method a try and see what happens. Once I get the method down it's SNES time.

For GB games, just get the batteries with clips. Any other method is just going to be ugly.

univbee posted:

This reminds me of another shortcoming of the CopyNES: it seems to prevent the Everdrive N8 from working (NES Powerpak still works fine). Fortunately I have a 2nd unmodded NES that the N8 works fine on.

We all know the retrode doesn't support dumping NES games, but I've seen a couple of people suggest that this works as a USB dumper for NES games:
http://www.infiniteneslives.com/aux3.php

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its not. For more reasons why, check out the dedicated megaman thread. We all really wanted to like it, but all got pretty drat frustrated with it really fast. Some of the levels took me as long to beat as the entirety of Megaman 2. Its THAT hard.

As with most fan games, they forget that they themselves are hardcore fans, and then they get better and better at playing their own levels as they test them, so they make them harder and harder. This is why playtesting with outside people, especially non-hardcore-gamers, is a really good idea. :eng101:

I could accept it as a game meant for hardcore fans only, but even then the game is pretty punishing.
Some stages are just... gently caress.

The robot master designs are cool and the art is good, I really, really wanted to like this. And the engine is smoother than some other fan games, but the level design is just a complete nightmare.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

For GB games, just get the batteries with clips. Any other method is just going to be ugly.

We all know the retrode doesn't support dumping NES games, but I've seen a couple of people suggest that this works as a USB dumper for NES games:
http://www.infiniteneslives.com/aux3.php

Thanks for the advice! So just to make sure I've got this down, I:
- pry old battery out of there and/or desolder current solder points
- use battery with tabs and solder the points marked with an X in this pic

This of course vs the other method of prying tabs up, taking out old battery, replacing with tab-less battery, taping up all ghetto style and hope it stays solid.

Also thanks so much for that link! I've thought about going the CopyNES but if this dealio can pull saves than consider me sold. My Ultima Exodus save is still clinging to life and I'd love to make some magic happen sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
You don't have to pry the batteries out. Just take something thin, like a small flat tip screwdriver, and wedge under the side of the battery. Heat up the solder, and then use a little pressure to free one side of the battery. Repeat for the other side.

There's no traces usually in the vicinity of the battery that you'd lift, but it's really a brute force approach if you're soldering in a new battery.

And yea, just pay attention to the polarity. The boards generally mark them, but just be careful.

• Locked thread