Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

Centurium posted:

Anybody been to http://www.derbiergarten.com/biergarten/files/7213/6985/9151/DBG%20Menu.pdf ? Other suggestions for german food? I have a craving for schnitzel.

Der Biergarten is awesome. Excellent beer selection and the food's great (the jagerschnitzel is my favourite). Also definitely get one of the pretzels, they're massive and delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

venutolo posted:

Eater's lists have been surprisingly good since they started covering Atlanta. I believe the first head/editor of Eater Atlanta was Jennifer Zyman, who used to write The Blissful Glutton food blog (which was in my estimation the best ATL food blog) and has and (I think) still writes for Creative Loafing and/or the AJC. When people are new to town or visiting for a few days and ask me for recommendations, I typically mention a few of my favorite places and tell them to look at the Eater lists.

I loved Blissful Glutton. She's writing more again, but it's not like the heyday. What are some well-written food blogs to look out for? They don't even have to be Atlanta-based, though it'd be nice.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

DNS posted:

I loved Blissful Glutton. She's writing more again, but it's not like the heyday. What are some well-written food blogs to look out for? They don't even have to be Atlanta-based, though it'd be nice.

It seems that Atlanta food blogging isn't as popular as it was a few years ago, so a number of the blogs I was reading have either stopped updating completely, or update with much less frequency than they used to. The ones I look at are:

Adventurous Tastes
Chow Down Atlanta
Eat Buford Highway
Eat It, Atlanta
Foodie Buddha
Savor Exposure (mostly food photography)

It is up to you determine if you think they're well written.

Mostly I get my information from Creative Loafing Food & Drink and Eater Atlanta.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
It it bad that I'm in love with Mr. Taco's tortas in Roswell? They deliver to my office, so it's a little hard to say no.

http://www.mrtacoatlanta.com/our_menu.html?tab=10#tortas

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
finally made it to chai pani - it was good! :) props for mango pickle on the table, I love that stuff with a passion.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

finally made it to chai pani - it was good! :) props for mango pickle on the table, I love that stuff with a passion.

Ah, so THAT'S what that stuff was. All I knew was that it tasted good on everything.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

Ah, so THAT'S what that stuff was. All I knew was that it tasted good on everything.

yeah, I go through jars of it faster than I go through a squeeze bottle of ketchup - which always disturbs me. (I think I just don't use much ketchup)

I like this brand the most, they sell it at the buford farmers market.

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Mothers-Recipe-Mango-Pickle-Hot-600.jpg

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

Glad you enjoyed Chai Pani! Their pickle is jar bought, but it's a really awesome brand. Patel Brothers and others sell another kind that's more lemony. They made some from scratch once, but it only lasted 36 hours before everyone devoured it. Pickle is great to add to the Daal soup when it's not salty enough. Otherwise, it's a total-sodium-overload! I'm reading a book on how to make authentic Indian Pickles (learned from the S. Indian Food thread), Usha's Pickle Digest (delivered from Chennai). It's crazy stuff, but hopefully I will make some batches.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Glad you enjoyed Chai Pani! Their pickle is jar bought, but it's a really awesome brand. Patel Brothers and others sell another kind that's more lemony. They made some from scratch once, but it only lasted 36 hours before everyone devoured it. Pickle is great to add to the Daal soup when it's not salty enough. Otherwise, it's a total-sodium-overload! I'm reading a book on how to make authentic Indian Pickles (learned from the S. Indian Food thread), Usha's Pickle Digest (delivered from Chennai). It's crazy stuff, but hopefully I will make some batches.

that's funny you should mention, my single complaint (if I had to be really, really nitpicky) about the entire meal was the daal soup was really underseasoned. didn't think to add the mango pickle! out of curiosity, what is the brand y'all buy?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

that's funny you should mention, my single complaint (if I had to be really, really nitpicky) about the entire meal was the daal soup was really underseasoned. didn't think to add the mango pickle! out of curiosity, what is the brand y'all buy?

There's like 50+ employees, so it really depends on who makes it. But yeah, it can be a bit watered down sometimes. Drop a spoonful of mango pickle in the daal and you'll be in heaven. That's really what's made for, to add flavor or kick to a bland dish. The pickle brand, I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's for sale up in the front retail area.

Next time you go, get a bowl, or ask for a cup, of Sambar soup. It's made with 18+ ingredients from scratch.

We can always do another goon-meet there if everyone is interested? It was quite successful last time :)

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Landrobot posted:

There's like 50+ employees, so it really depends on who makes it. But yeah, it can be a bit watered down sometimes. Drop a spoonful of mango pickle in the daal and you'll be in heaven. That's really what's made for, to add flavor or kick to a bland dish. The pickle brand, I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's for sale up in the front retail area.

Next time you go, get a bowl, or ask for a cup, of Sambar soup. It's made with 18+ ingredients from scratch.

We can always do another goon-meet there if everyone is interested? It was quite successful last time :)

I would be down for that.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I, too, would enjoy that. I have yet to visit Chani Pani yet.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I'd be up for it!

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Can anyone direct me to a restaurant in here with good boiled blue crabs? My friend has asked for his birthday. Both of us are originally from New Orleans, so I would preferably like somewhere that knew how to spice them similar to back home.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Where do you guys go for Tapas? My girlfriend has never been and I'm looking for a place to take her.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FLEXBONER posted:

Where do you guys go for Tapas? My girlfriend has never been and I'm looking for a place to take her.

san sebastian :colbert:

(iberian pig is probably the best thing in town, but a far cry from real pinchos/tapas/whatever)

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone try Ben's Brown Bag on Howell where Curly's(and before that, Leroy's) used to be? I feel like that location is cursed or something.

https://www.grubhub.com/atlanta/bens-brown-bag/?showSmallSearchWidget=Y

Really simple menu with burgers and chips. I might try it for lunch if I can get my coworkers along. Recently they've all been on a health kick and don't want to eat at these greasy places.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I had hopes for it, but it was just greasy and bland -- so much so that I can't remember what I got. Maybe a pork sandwich? The salt and vinegar fries were decent.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently, Hector Santiago will be the executive chef at Abbatoir. I'm certainly interested in this development.

Linton Hopkins knows what up when he says that The General Muir has the best weekend brunch in a little feature about restaurants he likes. I have literally been there for brunch every Sunday since they opened. This Sunday will be the first time I won't be as I'll be out of town.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I am willing to make a few cosmetic adjustments to myself to assume your identity by Sunday to continue your brunch streak.
Step #1- stilts / shoe risers.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
You'll also need to work on your boyish charm. And order the latkes.

kontona
May 3, 2003

anyone tried yum bunz yet?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

It was decent for the price, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Fillings were tasty for fast food, but too many were too similar. I couldn't tell three of the bao I got apart. I'd prefer a higher filling:dough ratio, or a larger, more costly bao maybe. As it is eating 4-6 bao is like eating a bowl full of dough. Lines and wait are still a problem because it's new.

If you're around west midtown or tech already, though, it's a good, affordable option that's a step up from fast food, which is desperately needed in the area.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

isomerc posted:

It it bad that I'm in love with Mr. Taco's tortas in Roswell? They deliver to my office, so it's a little hard to say no.

http://www.mrtacoatlanta.com/our_menu.html?tab=10#tortas

Thank you for this. I drive by Mr. Taco all the time but never went in. I figured it was a lovely chain. As soon as I saw the salsa bar I knew I was home.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Apparently, Hector Santiago will be the executive chef at Abbatoir. I'm certainly interested in this development.

0_0

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you're in the area to pass by Mr. Taco, check out Jerusalem Bakery. Holy loving poo poo I love that place. It's on Old Milton

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Gunshow verdict - very good.

A bit overpriced for their normal menu items, but the $5 'snacks' made it all worthwhile. Apparently a $5 snack can be just as substantive as a $12 plate. Some were really well executed, and the tapas/dimsum format was a lot of fun. Service could have been better - really overbearing at times, and then really absent other times, but not horrible. Got to talk to Kevin a bit too which was fun. Like that he's livin' the dream and apparently doing well thusfar - place was pretty packed on a Friday.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'd be interested in your recounting the Gunshow visit in full if you are up for it---it really sounded like the sort of place that will eventually wind up pretty special once they get all the kinks worked out and experience in dealing with each of the 2-3 seasons GA has left at this point as far as climate goes.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Last Friday, we brought some friends to Der Biergarten. Our first time there and I heard about it here. We absolutely loved it, and my 4 year old devoured a whole wurst and pretzel, so it's kid friendly too. I only had two different beers, but the other folks had several and liked everything they got.

We didn't order entrees per person, but just got a bunch of different appetizers and shared. For the finale we go the whole roast pork shank, and it was amazing. Crunchy, crispy, fatty pork skin. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it days later.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

AgentHaiTo posted:

Last Friday, we brought some friends to Der Biergarten. Our first time there and I heard about it here. We absolutely loved it, and my 4 year old devoured a whole wurst and pretzel, so it's kid friendly too. I only had two different beers, but the other folks had several and liked everything they got.

We didn't order entrees per person, but just got a bunch of different appetizers and shared. For the finale we go the whole roast pork shank, and it was amazing. Crunchy, crispy, fatty pork skin. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it days later.

My wife used to live near one of these places when she was in Queens a few years ago, and we also found something like this in Jersey City. Both of them were awesome. We'll have to add this to the ol' Foursquare list. Thanks!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I'd be interested in your recounting the Gunshow visit in full if you are up for it---it really sounded like the sort of place that will eventually wind up pretty special once they get all the kinks worked out and experience in dealing with each of the 2-3 seasons GA has left at this point as far as climate goes.

called on saturday for reservations at 6pm for a 9ish table, hostess said they were booked, then hemmed and hawwed and was finally like 'ok we can do it'. valet parked (didn't really need to, there's parking in the Shed at Glenwood) Seated quickly, the restaurant was only about 3/4 full at 9, which made me wonder about the hostess. There are several long tables with sort of like dividers inbetween them - so we sat at a table with some other folks, but wasn't a bad experience - there was enough space to still do your own thing. (unlike my experience at Seven Lamps, which was horrible)

First dish was brought within like 10 seconds of us sitting down, which was sort of cool because I was hungry as heck, but also felt sort of overwhelmed - I knew the format of the menu or whatever, so it was fine - but if you didn't I can imagine just being like 'whatttt.' This dish was a reasonably well composed seared salmon with fried shiso, cucumber, and a nori vinegarette. It was tasty enough, but definitely lukewarm, which I guess is why they pushed it on us. Hawk eyed RoomKommandant girl immediately came over to mark that we had ordered the dish on our menu - which I hadn't even had the chance to pick up yet. But it's fine, I'm making it out like it was worse than it really was. She then finally explained how things work. Our salmon turned out to be $13, which is fine, but would have been nice to know before saying yes. Again just being overly nitpicky - if I really cared the price I'm sure I would have asked.

We pinpointed some stuff we definitely wanted to try on the menu, which was sort of irrelevant since they just bring everything by when it's ready anyways. Next thing brought by was a chicken biscuit - a "Snack" (all snacks are $5 apparently, took me a while to figure this out) - which was loving the most delicious chicken biscuit I've ever eaten. It was also about as substantial as the salmon, so we quickly decided snacks were probably the way to go.

ate a couple other dishes, some spicy indian fried okra which was good, some pea salad which was mediocre, some Jamaican stewed goat which was awesome, and some other small snack things that were fine, I don't really recall. We were told at one point that we'd seen everything that they were still making on the menu, and were asked if there was anything in particular we wanted re-made. Didn't take them up on this. Got out with 4 glasses of wine for I think $88 after tip. Not too horrible. Kevin delivered a few of the dishes, got to talk to him a bit - asked him about how he developed the concept and talked about some restaurants in town, he seemed pretty pleased with everything, more power to him.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 15, 2013

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for that, definitely sounds like they are still finding their footing, but know where they are heading. I'd definitely be part of the "modest means" target audience, so thanks for the tip on snacks being potent probably mainly for that group. A delicious chicken biscuit is a pretty rare thing to hear somebody give a ringing endorsement for in the grand scheme of things---definitely bodes well.

No idea when I'll manage up there, perhaps sometime later this summer with a friend as we're about an hour+ outta town.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I'd definitely be part of the "modest means" target audience, so thanks for the tip on snacks being potent probably mainly for that group.

Yeah, it's definitely kind of pricey, like H&F or the Spence, or really any of those kind of trendier restaurants. Date night quality I guess, except this place is a little more casual (and much more well lit) even than H&F, so I dunno. Maybe the more 'let's have an adventure' side of date night. I'd definitely go back, but if you're scrimping to make it happen, I dunno.

I guess you could make more of a night of it, eat only snacks for a late 1/2 dinner at gunshow, and then head over to octopus bar after 10:30 or whenever. would be more bang for your buck and kind of fun food wise.

(and then you could brag to all your OTP friends about how hip you are)

edit: actually I think next time I go back, this is probably what I'm gonna do.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 16, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

(and then you could brag to all your OTP friends about how hip you are)

When is that ever something you're NOT able to do, though? Purely by virtue of not being OTP makes you hipper than those losers.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, you guys associate with OTP people?!?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
:(

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
If I never went OTP I would never get my fill of Hae Woon Dae and Gu's Bistro. And that would be a drat shame.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

venutolo posted:

Wait, you guys associate with OTP people?!?

jerk! ;)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

*Certain exceptions allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

When is that ever something you're NOT able to do, though? Purely by virtue of not being OTP makes you hipper than those losers.

da parent said he lived otp -_-

gotta bring tidings via 75/85 of the latest inner city happenings, which I guess get told and retold until they turn into legend and passed from generation to generation

anyways speaking of inner city happenings, that sydney marcus 400/85 interchange thing is supposed to be done by the end of this month I think. lol not gonna happen

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 17, 2013