Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Speaking of projects in moon dollars, Tangiers looks really interesting - like Thief meets David Lynch. From the videos the art direction is great, and the concept of the levels rearranging themselves based on past actions is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Naar posted:

Speaking of projects in moon dollars, Tangiers looks really interesting - like Thief meets David Lynch. From the videos the art direction is great, and the concept of the levels rearranging themselves based on past actions is pretty cool.

I will probably back it. I just love what they are doing.

And then I will turn off the project updates so I don't see it die a slow death. I really don't think they can make it... Curse you, moon money!

Edit: Actually, this is a 28 day campaign, so it does not look as bad for them as I initially thought.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 17, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its actually tough figuring out a conversion rate from money to franks or whatever that symbol stands for.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

Its actually tough figuring out a conversion rate from money to franks or whatever that symbol stands for.

It's easy.

The currency is Pounds. One pound is 454 grams. So you pay a kilogram for about every 2.2 pounds of kickstarter backing. I'm still trying to figure out what they want all this weight for, but who am I to know... I don't get imperial units. And what form do they want this weight in? Duct tape? Rebar? Rotten fish?

That is... Unless they want the British money Pounds Sterling, in which case google tells me it you multiply your USD by about 1.52 to get GBP.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=1+gbp+in+usd

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Only if you're too dumb to use google, I guess?

I honestly don't understand why people are averse to pledging to projects in GBP. I guess people who've never done any traveling and used other currencies at all?

poo poo, it's exactly this sort of idiocy that might prevent Satellite Reign from getting funded. Still only about 2/3 of the way there with just 11 days left.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kenshin posted:

I honestly don't understand why people are averse to pledging to projects in GBP. I guess people who've never done any traveling and used other currencies at all?

poo poo, it's exactly this sort of idiocy that might prevent Satellite Reign from getting funded. Still only about 2/3 of the way there with just 11 days left.

Hell, if you hit the "back project" button it tells you what it would cost in $USD, you don't even have to go look it up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Azhais posted:

Hell, if you hit the "back project" button it tells you what it would cost in $USD, you don't even have to go look it up.

Yeah but a lot of people are worried that the exchange rate will change significantly before their pledge goes through, without them noticing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Naar posted:

I came here to post this, but you beat me, so I'll just link the SA thread instead. Luckily I have a backup plan. Gods Will Be Watching is a cool adventure game up for funding on IndieGogo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
edit aaaaaaah moonies

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Most of the time the prices are ridiculous after conversion, is why. Dark Matter seems to be an exception I've rarely seen. Sorry, I love me some Syndicate but I'm not giving anyone ~$25 up front for access to the final game. And loving :laffo: for ~$55 for beta access(even though I never want betas of Kickstarter games, I want the final version).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kenshin posted:

Haha. You seem a bit upset. It'll usually end up that the last few days are almost as strong as the first few large growth days.

As for not pledging in other currencies, it probably has less to do with the symbol and more to do with the extra 50% price increase over :911::10bux:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you want my money its gotta be greenbacks.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Obsurveyor posted:

Most of the time the prices are ridiculous after conversion, is why. Dark Matter seems to be an exception I've rarely seen. Sorry, I love me some Syndicate but I'm not giving anyone ~$25 up front for access to the final game. And loving :laffo: for ~$55 for beta access(even though I never want betas of Kickstarter games, I want the final version).

Welcome to the wonderful world of What We Have To Pay For Games Over HereTM!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

What parallel dimension have I entered where $25 for a spiritual sequel to Syndicate is unreasonable? (or, actually, $20 for those of us who got the early bird special).

Ah well.

I do agree with you about betas, though, I don't ever back at beta levels, I just want the final games.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Obsurveyor posted:

Really? I mean $25 is the buy in on half of the kickstarters I followed (aside from early bird discounts). 1/4th being $20 and the last few being $15. And most beta buy-ins hover around that as well.

Edit:
Ravensdale/Stonehearth/Shadowrun/DG2: $15 So Four
Wasteland 2: $20 One
Eternity/Torment/Satellite/Original Sin: $25 Four

alright different spread then I thought but still I think $25 isn't unusual in the slightest.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 17, 2013

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

DoctorTristan posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of What We Have To Pay For Games Over HereTM!

Yup. No thanks. The other reason I don't want to pledge moon dollars is that I'd have to tie a credit card to my kickstarter account. I don't really want to do that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

graventy posted:

Yup. No thanks. The other reason I don't want to pledge moon dollars is that I'd have to tie a credit card to my kickstarter account. I don't really want to do that.
What? Why is that a problem?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Darkhold posted:

Really? I mean $25 is the buy in on half of the kickstarters I followed (aside from early bird discounts). 1/4th being $20 and the last few being $15. And most beta buy-ins hover around that as well.

Yes, really. Every game I've contributed to has been $10 or $15 for the final game copy and that's all I want. The only times it was higher was for things that included physical stuff.

Stainless did pretty drat fine with Carmageddon in :911:money:911: at $15 a copy. :colbert:

Darkhold posted:

Wasteland 2: $20 One

It was $15.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 17, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Obsurveyor posted:

Yes, really. Every game I've contributed to has been $10 or $15 for the final game copy and that's all I want. The only times it was higher was for things that included physical stuff.
My point was that you called it 'ridiculous' based on the conversion when its pretty standard.

quote:

It was $15.
Slacker backer. Sorry I just checked my receipt and didn't look up the original kickstarter. I paid $20. Even if you move it that's 5 to 4 and still hardly destroys my point.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 17, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Most high profile Kickstarters have moved to $25 a copy as of recently, notable examples of this trend being Satellite Reign, Massive Chalice, and all the CRPGs. Using that argument (that it's too expensive) as a basis on why one would not support a Kickstarter in a different currency seems more like a lame excuse to justify a "Not Invented Here" attitude, even if unconsciously.

Well, moving on:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gods Will Be Watching is a cool adventure game up for funding on IndieGogo.

I saw this on Eurogamer a couple of hours ago. It looks rather neat and the goal is incredibly low and they are nearly half way there, so I hope it turns out well.

And speaking of projects on Indiegogo, Yatagarasu has been on a lull for a good while now. I thought that after the success of Skullgirls and the fact the Yatagarasu guys are listening to feedback (they decided that the community was right about licensing GGPO instead of trying to re-invent the wheel) would have meant faster funding than this.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 17, 2013

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: I'm a bit surprised it only made it to 6,000. Curious how much of that was their presentation, and how much of it was "wait, that's not a $".

Their page is incredibly uninteresting. Nothing pops or makes me want to read any of the words they typed (the Calibri font reminds me of a college paper); all of their screenshots are incredibly dark and show the same environment; and there doesn't seem to be anything interesting or unique about the environment or protagonist from first glance.

I would think screenshots/visuals are probably the most important hook to draw backers in, but there doesn't seem to have been much time spent on them. This is coming from someone who spends 5 seconds scrolling down the page whereas I don't think most people even give that much effort.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Most high profile Kickstarters have moved to $25 a copy. Using that argument as a basis on why one would not support a Kickstarter in a different currency seems more like a lame excuse to justify "Not Invented Here".

I guess I haven't run into any that I'd want to contribute to yet, at the new prices. I take back the 'ridiculous' but I'm definitely not going to be contributing as much to Kickstarter games, if it's the new standard. $15 is a comfortable risk for a game that may never come out, get delayed for years or get its features cut back because they went over budget. $25 makes me a lot more inclined to wait for a Steam sale or pre-order special. A foreign currency on top of that is just one more negative point.

It's also not some kind of xenophobia about currencies. It's that I'm committing to pay for something that I don't know the price I'll pay at the time I commit. Even if it's just a couple dollars, it's still unknown. I'm sure the other side of the coin, the developers not knowing how much they'll get after dollar conversion, is just as daunting. It also has to do with the kind of game it is and what my expectations are.

If you want a specific example: Satellite Reign. The Syndicate games were never very deep as far as assets, the fun came from running the missions and how they turn out, so why do they need $25 a copy? It just seemed like they were playing on the sentiment about the original games with a healthy dose of wishful thinking. It looks like they've added a lot more information since the launch but it was pretty dire as far as actual info when they first put up the campaign. These initial impressions are everything, I don't often go back and look at a Kickstarter after the first time I see it and don't want to contribute.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it seems like people are reading into a whole lot of meanings behind someone having a maximum limit to what they'd pay.

There are some highschool level correlation == causation arguments here being thrown around, and I get that it's because it's a particular project we're passionate about or whatever, but these are arguments with a "here are two options as to why another project didn't fund, let's shape our definitions to fit those specific examples."

The problem is, until you can take statistically significant numbers of surveys for everyone who has and hasn't backed a project you're not going to start seeing actual shapes within the system ecosphere, beyond the super isolated environment we're exposing ourselves to.

Instead of shrugging and blaming the conversion of money, identify all of the variables - price, numbers of projects already backed, presentation of project, style of game wanted, time frame to completion, age and lifestyle of the backer, et cetera and so on - before you start to isolate particularities that may not ever even fit into a larger scale. Don't just say "Welp, people need to not be economically xenophobic,":shrug: and then run around screaming how life isn't fair.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 17, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Obsurveyor posted:

It's also not some kind of xenophobia about currencies.

Oh, I wasn't talking about you specifically, but that other guy who spends 70% of his posts on this thread saying things like he won't back X or Y Kickstarter because it's in "moon dollars", and ain't that just swell. The problem is that I suspect there are likely far more people who share this notion, screwing up the chances of good projects just because the developers were born on the "wrong" side of the world. I sincerely hope this is not the case, though.

Obsurveyor posted:

The Syndicate games were never very deep as far as assets, the fun came from running the missions and how they turn out, so why do they need $25 a copy? It just seemed like they were playing on the sentiment about the original games with a healthy dose of wishful thinking. It looks like they've added a lot more information since the launch but it was pretty dire as far as actual info when they first put up the campaign. These initial impressions are everything.

I don't disagree at all. I imagine a $20 price point would have worked better for them, and that they should have prepared enough material to be ready for the Kickstarter's launch. I believe the latter was also an issue with Massive Chalice, where there just wasn't enough information outside the core idea and the price point seemed high enough for many people.

Either way, $15 was a trend that Double Fine started back then with the project that brought Kickstarter into public attention, and the others followed. Soon as Obsidian showed that people would still pledge at $25, every other high profile Kickstarter has since mimicked it accordingly and this trend is likely not changing any time soon. Humbler indies are likely to carry on sticking with $10 and $15, though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

There are some convoluted steps to getting your kick starter in dollars if you're over seas and I know at least one campaign relaunched to do it. It sucks that anyone would need to do it but if I was helming a big campaign I would consider it since it does seem to make a difference.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Fifteen bucks is my impulse limit for software kickstarters. Once things go beyond that, I start asking myself hard questions like, 'Is an extra ten bucks worth it for a soundtrack I haven't even heard?' or 'Given the number of other kickstarters I've pledged to, and the number of those that are mired in development Hell or are (at best) running silently, am I better served waiting for this to pop up as part of an indie bundle or with a freshly Greenlit discount?'

I'm not going to get on KS developers' cases about it, though. If offering a finished game for a pledge of ten or fifteen bucks ends up being a deep discount to what is most of your install base, then... yeah, that's financially untenable. Related, I know Kickstarter's new toy feeling has been wearing off for me, and I'm just a customer. People have already discovered that tossing in fistfuls of feelies is a great way to drain a project's coffers; under-pricing buy-in pledges may be a more insidious sibling to that, that hasn't been identified until recently.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Looks like Dark Matter won't fund, which is a bit sad, though a lengthy backer email went out explaining what they're going to do. Looks like the plan is to polish up what they have as an "Episode 1", and release the game episodically instead.

EDIT: I'm a bit surprised it only made it to 6,000. Curious how much of that was their presentation, and how much of it was "wait, that's not a $".

Their splash image certainly didn't help... blurry as poo poo, looks like the worst sort of UE3 rough demo. Their Kickstarter page in general is lacking in the visually pop'y nice art department, even if their gameplay video looks perfectly competent.

I also wonder how much of it was down to the theme. "Space marine fighting aliens in dark corridors" is about as bland as you can get, and hardly something that only plucky indies could make happen. It looks very much like a low-budget Shadow Complex, and attempts to compete directly with that instead of going off in a new direction. Shadow Complex, meanwhile, had a budget of something like 2 or 3 million - and that was years ago.

When I looked at it I just saw how dark the screenshots looked and decided to pass. I'm not a fan of games where I have to squint or crank up the gamma. Mark of the Ninja is a good example of how to do a "dark" game while still being legible.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Seeking some wisdom, since you guys seem to know how these things go.

Polygon just covered Dropsy. GamesRadar did a story a few days ago too. It's been nice to see all this coverage lately, but with only a week remaining I'm afraid it's a bit too late. Have there been any "last few days" miracle stories? We're at $8,250 out of $25,000.

If it fails, my current plan is to relaunch the campaign sans fancy music guy and extra animation after this one ends. That chops $10,500 off the goal, and would allow me and my programmer to make the core game. I'd end up paying for the animator/musicians out of pocket. Is this a good idea? I know multiple campaigns for one project looks pretty bad.

Failing crowdfunding, are there any good alternate funding methods? Someone in the Dropsy Games thread suggested that I find a niche publisher, but other than the one he suggested I can't really seem to find a good match for the game. If none of that works, I'll just keep working on it as I have been and enlist some of the goon help I've been offered. I'd really like to get it funded though.

Here's the Kickstarter campaign again for reference.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I saw that article, pretty cool. I hope it works out.

I might try tweeting or emailing some of the bigger Kickstarter operators and see if they'll back you/pimp your project a bit. Like I follow the Obsidian Twitter and they regularly tweet stuff like "We just backed Project X!" If you can get a spot in one of the backer updates that Torment or something sends out that'd probably put a lot of new eyeballs on it. Granted, these are usually for more RPG/tabletop projects, typically, but who knows. Maybe look at the projects that have pledged to http://kickingitforward.org/.

If you do have to relaunch the Kickstarter, I'd say wait a bit and let the previous attempt fade from people's memories before starting it right back up. If you can put some more work into the game in the meantime, all the better as you'll have more content to show off.

Just a couple ideas from an observer.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I usually don't link Kickstarters and such on Facebook or Twitter, because my friends' taste in games seem to run from 'none' to 'farmville' to 'Star Trek: Online' with little deviation, but that riff on Five Years tipped my hand.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Gaspy Conana posted:

Seeking some wisdom, since you guys seem to know how these things go.

Polygon just covered Dropsy. GamesRadar did a story a few days ago too. It's been nice to see all this coverage lately, but with only a week remaining I'm afraid it's a bit too late. Have there been any "last few days" miracle stories? We're at $8,250 out of $25,000.

If it fails, my current plan is to relaunch the campaign sans fancy music guy and extra animation after this one ends. That chops $10,500 off the goal, and would allow me and my programmer to make the core game. I'd end up paying for the animator/musicians out of pocket. Is this a good idea? I know multiple campaigns for one project looks pretty bad.

Failing crowdfunding, are there any good alternate funding methods? Someone in the Dropsy Games thread suggested that I find a niche publisher, but other than the one he suggested I can't really seem to find a good match for the game. If none of that works, I'll just keep working on it as I have been and enlist some of the goon help I've been offered. I'd really like to get it funded though.

Here's the Kickstarter campaign again for reference.

I've backed a fair number of kickstarters that failed, reassessed, and tried again. Several made it the second time. I don't think people really look down on it, so long as you're being realistic about your goal- explaining what you did to come back with a smaller budget seems important.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Saoshyant posted:

Yatagarasu has been on a lull for a good while now. I thought that after the success of Skullgirls and the fact the Yatagarasu guys are listening to feedback (they decided that the community was right about licensing GGPO instead of trying to re-invent the wheel) would have meant faster funding than this.

Speaking of Yatagarasu, I hadn't noticed until I went back to the page that one of the backgrounds prominently features a giant tongue being impaled by a nail. That's... weird.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

And speaking of projects on Indiegogo, Yatagarasu has been on a lull for a good while now. I thought that after the success of Skullgirls and the fact the Yatagarasu guys are listening to feedback (they decided that the community was right about licensing GGPO instead of trying to re-invent the wheel) would have meant faster funding than this.

I would be making more noise about this to my fighting-game friends, but they're almost exclusively console gamers.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My fighting-game friends seem pissed that the 3DS version that was promised before seems to have no mention, among other things.

What happened to Skullgirls seems more like a miracle, I still don't understand how it got so much money. No way can you bank on that for future fighting game KS.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011
There's a new zombie survival game that is actually about survival and not hunting down zombies - 7 Days to Die.

The game pretty much combines Minecraft with an FPS, a functional enemy AI and a physics engine. So it's open world, has that grid based crafting system and the sort of resource collection you find in Minecraft, but also, probably, isn't a digital Lego simulator after the first 2 nights. I pledged in at the $15 tier which gets you the game when it's finished.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RADmadness posted:

There's a new zombie survival game that is actually about survival and not hunting down zombies - 7 Days to Die.

The game pretty much combines Minecraft with an FPS, a functional enemy AI and a physics engine. So it's open world, has that grid based crafting system and the sort of resource collection you find in Minecraft, but also, probably, isn't a digital Lego simulator after the first 2 nights. I pledged in at the $15 tier which gets you the game when it's finished.

It looks interesting, but some of the guys on the team worked on Duke Nukem Forever :ohdear:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

RADmadness posted:

I swear I saw a Clot from Killing Floor in that preview video.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

It looks interesting, but some of the guys on the team worked on Duke Nukem Forever :ohdear:

It does look interesting, but basing things on studio name I am not given much faith in the product "The Fun Pimps".

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 18, 2013

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
It's kinda funny. I recently developed a voxel engine in SharpDX because I wanted to create something similar but stopped working on it because I would be burned at the stake for creating another Minecraft like game.

Anyway, the stretch goals for that game are weirdly priced. 3 million dollars to implement a marching cubes algorithm? Ok...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Reason posted:

It does look interesting, but basing things on studio name I am not given much faith in the product "The Fun Pimps".

That's so bad and stupid that I don't want to support them. Ugh. I try to keep an open mind about stuff but that's cringe-worthy.

Edit: Yeah I just saw a picture of the main characters. The guy is dressed in functional hunting clothes, the woman is in denim with a midriff- and cleavage-revealing shirt. I wonder what it's like to have no self-awareness at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 18, 2013