Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

You did what? :ohdear:

If he's not trolling, he probably ruined it for everyone. That's what he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PaganGoatPants posted:

You did what? :ohdear:
He just done committed suicide. GOON JUSTICE.

kidding, for those not sure

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Imagine if the first 30-50 minutes of Speed Racer were devoted to explaining what a 'car' is, and why people were racing them. "I was fifteen when I saw the first speed race... They called them automobiles... Driving very quickly... We built them because horses were too slow..." Just interminably. That's Pacific Rim.

Del Toro fans might recall how Hellboy 2 unceremoniously ditches the bland human audience-identification character from the first film, having Hellboy and the other monsters go rogue from their government organization to have wild pagan monster adventures. Imagine if they killed off Hellboy instead. That's also this film.

The grievous sin of Pacific Rim is that both the monsters and robots have no personality. They don't. Gipsy Danger 'should be' a character, displaying a combination of traits from both pilots in its actions and mannerisms. This only occurs, however, in the actually-good sword scene. Mako presses a huge red button labelled SWORD, causing the limp blade to flop out of its sheath. She then yells "for my family!" and her rage causes the flaccid sword to literally grow erect so that she can thrust it into the kaiju. No other scene actually shows the psychological connection between pilot and machine in the same way that Mako's rage sprouts from the machine as a gleaming metallic phallus.

The next closest shot is when hero guy's brother holds a holographic boat gingerly in his hand, establishing that the blue augmented-reality interface represents the 'mind' half of some mind-body dualism. We are never provided with a Jaeger POV shot. What do they see? How do they see? The little blue boat is the closest thing, and the only. There's little other indication that the jagers are powered by psychological health. Since we don't know why they succeed, we don't know why they fail. (Was Cherno Alpha's crew just not vengeful enough?)

Consider the 'soulmate' imagery and the throwaway line about 'angering the gods' in the context of Aristophanes's speech from Plato's Symposium, in which humanity is imagined as a four-legged race of siamese twins:

Symposium posted:

Terrible was their might and strength, and the thoughts of their hearts were great, and they made an attack upon the gods; of them is told the tale of Otys and Ephialtes who, as Homer says, attempted to scale heaven, and would have laid hands upon the gods.

Doubt reigned in the celestial councils. Should they kill them and annihilate the race with thunderbolts, as they had done the giants, then there would be an end of the sacrifices and worship which men offered to them; but, on the other hand, the gods could not suffer their insolence to be unrestrained. At last, after a good deal of reflection, Zeus discovered a way.

He said: 'Methinks I have a plan which will enfeeble their strength and so extinguish their turbulence; men shall continue to exist, but I will cut them in two and then they will be diminished in strength and increased in numbers; this will have the advantage of making them more profitable to us. They shall walk upright on two legs, and if they continue insolent and will not be quiet, I will split them again and they shall hop about on a single leg.'

The resulting compulsion in humanity to reunite its halves is called 'love':

Symposium posted:

So ancient is the desire of one another which is implanted in us, reuniting our original nature, seeking to make one of two, and to heal the state of man.

Each of us when separated, having one side only, like a flat fish, is but the tally-half of a man, and he is always looking for his other half. Men who are a section of that double nature which was once called androgynous are lovers of women; adulterers are generally of this breed, and also adulterous women who lust after men. The women who are a section of the woman do not care for men, but have female attachments; the female companions are of this sort. But they who are a section of the male follow the male, and while they are young, being slices of the original man, they have affection for men and embrace them, and these are the best of boys and youths, because they have the most manly nature.

This is what the film is about, but this imagery of humanity being punished by the gods 'for a reason' is absent from the film. There is a line about global warming, but there is no imagery of global warming (outside of a quick-and-easy reference to Blade Runner in the design of the bone slums). We are told the apocalypse is coming, but there is little apocalyptic imagery because the film is already basically post-apocalyptic). The kaiju don't have the weight of a monster from Revelations - they aren't awesome in the original sense of the word. They're already commonplace - evoking malaise, not catastrophe.

Someone joked earlier about the kaiju being all female, but it's true. Being clones, the kaiju lack sexual difference - and there is an obvious theme of things squeezing in and out of yonic slits. The rift itself is a 'throat' that 'dilates' at regular intervals. A baby kaiju is birthed by Cesarian section, then Ron Perlman crawls out of a wound in its belly, covered in fluids. One kaiju gets Mako's erect sword rammed so hard down its throat that it's bisected. This is all Very Obvious.

But the kaiju, besides being gooey and female, don't do anything. There is maybe five minutes total of monsters attacking cities in the movie, and most of it takes place in a dream sequence. With a kaiju, what they destroy and how they destroy it is characterization. Consider how Clover decapitates the statue of liberty while screeching with wide-eyed terror in his film. I defy anyone to describe the actions of any kaiju here in even such basic terms.

What unsettles me in the film is that we open with the quick WWII montage - people used to believe in the fight (Rosie the Riveter!), but that iconography has been reduced to cliched fodder for action figures and videogames. You get the additional scene of the kid complaining about the old, crappy robot toy to cement this. But the message isn't that crass consumerism is bad. It's that we need new and better products to consume. The scene on the beach is a very obvious statement of 'this ain't your daddy's giant robot movie!' - which is definitely crass, no? It reminds of the mean-spirited scene in the Clash of the Titans remake where toy robot Bubo is thrown away, declared worthless now. Clash Of The Titans and Pacific Rim have the same screenwriter.

While I don't doubt Del Toro's genre intelligence (see the above reference to Plato), the end product seems mostly for the kind of 'fan' who says "of course I love star wars; I own all the actions figures!" and "of course I love kaiju films; I devoured that stupid poo poo when I was 12 years old!" You see this in the praise the film's unabashedness but not its quality. In cartoons, long scenes of characters back in base describing what's going on are a product of budgetary limitations. It's expensive to animate an expressive robot battle that conveys all the themes via punching. When Del Toro uses that 'anime style' here, it's like when deviantart people draw characters with anime side-mouths. It's an unnecessary compromise.

The fact is that Man of Steel deals with near-identical themes, but they show the ID4-hivemind terraforming laser, and they show humanity staring up in confusion as it looms over them. They show the mind-meld dream sequence where the apocalyptic plan is made visual. When Charlie Day has his encounter with the kaiju brain, he sits in a chair and tells us how cinematic it was - describing a zoetrope effect, 'like blinking your eyes really fast.' Thanks, Charlie! But why couldn't we see the kaijus battling T-Rexes on the cinema screen?

And when you really get down to it, Superman isn't a PMC.

(Now, watch as people use my demand for kaiju v. dinosaur big battels as evidence that I 'hate fun'.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
You hate fun.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
But..but...everyone knows what a car is already?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I saw this last night and loved it, it's everything I could've hoped for. I had the biggest grin on my face as the pilots got suited up at the start to that fantastic main them and it didn't go away for the entire movie. I think the ID4 comparisons are pretty much spot on, in fact when they mentioned they needed to go through the portal with a Kaiju I was expecting them to actually hide inside a Kaiju corpse which would've been an almost perfect parallel to them sneaking into the alien ship with one of their own fighters in ID4.

Overall it was just a really fun ride from start to finish, I really hope it picks up at the box office.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
There should have been some kind of scientific research Jaeger that they bring along to study the rift and nobody thinks it can hold its own in a fight until it does.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
SuperMechagodzilla, let me first say that I really respect how much effort you put into your critiques. I don't think anyone else approaches film quite the way you do, and it really is beautiful to see a unique viewpoint about media expressed in such detail. I say this with complete sincerity.

With that in mind, what I want to know is: in your ideal scenario, how would I respond to your post? Would I:

A.) Immediately concede that your argument is sound and cease enjoying Pacific Rim.

B.) Slowly process the points you have raised internally and, over a long enough period of time that the transition is unconscious, realize your argument is sound & etc.

C.) Enter into a protracted and spirited debate which would begin with us writing out long effort posts and end with everyone (in all likelihood) exiting the debate with the exact same opinion of the film they had going in.

D.) ???

e: Let me add as an additional caveat that I did not read the spoilered section of your post in which I assume you talked about Man of Steel; I have not yet seen that film.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 18, 2013

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
What the heck ... those heroclix thing is like $5 bucks a piece for shipping.

Items (5): $14.95
Shipping & handling: $22.45
Total before tax: $37.40
Estimated tax to be collected:* $0.00
Order total: $37.40

What gives? Is there a cheaper way to get the shipping?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Meowbot posted:

Yeah $5 is about right. It's not a small box.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Slate Action posted:

SuperMechagodzilla, let me first say that I really respect how much effort you put into your critiques. I don't think anyone else approaches film quite the way you do, and it really is beautiful to see a unique viewpoint about media expressed in such detail. I say this with complete sincerity.

With that in mind, what I want to know is: in your ideal scenario, how would I respond to your post? Would I:

A.) Immediately concede that your argument is sound and cease enjoying Pacific Rim.

B.) Slowly process the points you have raised internally and, over a long enough period of time that the transition is unconscious, realize your argument is sound & etc.

C.) Enter into a protracted and spirited debate which would begin with us writing out long effort posts and end with everyone (in all likelihood) exiting the debate with the exact same opinion of the film they had going in.

D.) ???

e: Let me add as an additional caveat that I did not read the spoilered section of your post in which I assume you talked about Man of Steel; I have not yet seen that film.

Alternatively: disagree with him. I know I do. How he says the atmosphere is lacking is beyond me. In the first five minutes there was an apocalyptic presence unlike anything I've ever seen- the weight of all the giants is absolutely tremendous and in saying it's absent I just have to conclude he was watching a different movie. Del Toro films have always had fantastic atmosphere and this one exceeds every one of them.

And the rest of the post is basically why so many people hate literary criticism in a nutshell (well mostly the penis metaphors). That said I do also respect how much thought he put into it :keke:.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 18, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Apparently, Coyote Tango is one of the possible Jaeger Heroclix. It's weird how much they're promoting a Jaeger that only appeared for maybe a few minutes, but hey, that's cool!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Meowbot posted:

You just ordered 120 little 3 inch figures. You know that, right?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Koramei posted:

That said I do also respect how much thought he put into it :keke:.

Why?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
We really need a looping gif of Cherno Alpha piston punching that headlocked kaiju in the face. There is no circumstance where watching that a couple dozen times wouldn't put me in a better mood.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I disdain everything you've said about this movie. I bear such contempt for your the way you've mischaracterized, misjudged, and misrepesented the film that I can only assume something is actually broken in your dumb brain to make your perception so utterly wrong. That said, you did take an awful long time saying it, and is that a Plato quote? Nice. Hats off to you, most reverend bloviating nimrod.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Slate Action posted:

With that in mind, what I want to know is: in your ideal scenario, how would I respond to your post?

When 140-ish pages have been devoted to calling this the best film ever, the idea is basically to get people explaining what makes it so. This is so that they can both reflect on why aspects of the film appeal to them, and to hopefully get me appreciating the film more (cause I want my money's worth).

Not long ago in the thread, people were going on about finding a canonical explanation for 'drifting'. The actual explanation is that the robots are powered by psychological health and drifting is (almost literally) the healing power of love. When Charlie Day hooks his brain up directly to the universe, he 'sees too much' and is nearly driven mad, like a Lovecraft character. He cannot weather the incomprehensible and terrifying universe alone. So, of course, he unites with his mathematical buddy to finally 'read the handwriting of God.' Mind-body duality, right? Theory and practice. The nosebleed theme is all about how your mental state is tied to your physiology - Mako needs to feel empowered in order to achieve an erection, etc.

This is all simply more accurate than the pointless theorycrafting stuff. The goal isn't to get people to stop liking the film, but for everyone to understand the film better. That includes myself.

My issue is not that the film is 'mindless entertainment' but that this stuff isn't conveyed as well as it could be. Scenes lack nuance. Mako is the only character whose journey is shown, and whose scenes really capture the surreal possibilities of operating in some kind of bizarre dreamstate, with different minds overlapping with a machine. Why is there only one dream sequence, and why is it easily one of the best scenes in the film? Do people really feel the power of love? Do they feel the lovecraftian terror? Like the scene where Day is convinced that God Himself has singled him out for death. Why does it feel like a joke?

And there's the question of who builds these things. Where does the funding come from? Shouldn't that be more clear, or are they trying to downplay it? Can downplaying the source of funding be considered a satirical point, like how nobody cares that the kaijus are caused by pollution?

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Carteret posted:

You just ordered 120 little 3 inch figures. You know that, right?

I work at a software company and everyone is a nerd. I could put these on every desk in the office and they would appreciate it more than dislike it. I will probably put them in various places throughout the building if I really do end up with 120.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm so excited to catch a supermechagodzilla post in its natural habitat! Usually I stumble onto these after the fact, while lurking. They're always a fascinating read.

Also, I sure do hope I get a Coyote Tango and a Cherno Alpha out of that box set. Never played HeroClix and have no intention to, but man.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a distinct lack of :krakken: usage in this thread. I really was expecting more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think we can chalk up "who builds the jaegers" to the same thing that makes the Federation of Star Trek possible: They're an optimistic projection of what humans could accomplish if they put aside their differences and worked together. They are so ridiculously big and powerful as a message of our untapped potential. I think the opening monologue basically says that all but outright.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Meowbot posted:

I work at a software company and everyone is a nerd. I could put these on every desk in the office and they would appreciate it more than dislike it. I will probably put them in various places throughout the building if I really do end up with 120.

That's not really what I would call the best reason to order so many, but it does sound pretty funny. Post pics. (If you get it.)

*Also, I hope your co-workers appreciate how lucky they are to work with you. :)

Ramen Pride! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 18, 2013

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Someone should combine that with this :3:

Also I'm so glad I followed this thread, totally jumped on the HeroClix thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When 140-ish pages have been devoted to calling this the best film ever, the idea is basically to get people explaining what makes it so. This is so that they can both reflect on why aspects of the film appeal to them, and to hopefully get me appreciating the film more (cause I want my money's worth).

Not long ago in the thread, people were going on about finding a canonical explanation for 'drifting'. The actual explanation is that the robots are powered by psychological health and drifting is (almost literally) the healing power of love. When Charlie Day hooks his brain up directly to the universe, he 'sees too much' and is nearly driven mad, like a Lovecraft character. He cannot weather the incomprehensible and terrifying universe alone. So, of course, he unites with his mathematical buddy to finally 'read the handwriting of God.' Mind-body duality, right? Theory and practice. The nosebleed theme is all about how your mental state is tied to your physiology - Mako needs to feel empowered in order to achieve an erection, etc.

This is all simply more accurate than the pointless theorycrafting stuff. The goal isn't to get people to stop liking the film, but for everyone to understand the film better. That includes myself.

My issue is not that the film is 'mindless entertainment' but that this stuff isn't conveyed as well as it could be. Scenes lack nuance. Mako is the only character whose journey is shown, and whose scenes really capture the surreal possibilities of operating in some kind of bizarre dreamstate, with different minds overlapping with a machine. Why is there only one dream sequence, and why is it easily one of the best scenes in the film? Do people really feel the power of love? Do they feel the lovecraftian terror? Like the scene where Day is convinced that God Himself has singled him out for death. Why does it feel like a joke?

And there's the question of who builds these things. Where does the funding come from? Shouldn't that be more clear, or are they trying to downplay it? Can downplaying the source of funding be considered a satirical point, like how nobody cares that the kaijus are caused by pollution?

When does Charlie Day's character (Newt, by the way) ever "hook his brain up to the universe"? He drifts with a Kaiju brain, which happens to drift him with the entire kaiju 'species' (entity, maybe?). A far cry from the entire universe).

As for Jaegar funding, it's the Pan Pacific Defense Corps that's funding the whole program. A major plot point that kicks off the bulk of the movie is the PPDC pulling their funding.

The Kaiju are not caused by pollution. Their masters are adapted to an environment that is (by our standards) polluted. I'm assuming this means warmer climate and more CO2 in the atmosphere due to Newt's mention of global warming and ozone depletion.

While I appreciate the amount of effort and thought you put into your critiques, it would be appreciated if you used the facts provided by the film itself when doing so.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Does anyone know how big the Heroclix boxes are? I wanna figure how much it's gonna cost me to ship it overseas.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

mania posted:

Does anyone know how big the Heroclix boxes are? I wanna figure how much it's gonna cost me to ship it overseas.

No clue. It's a Point of Sale Gravity-feed box, designed for the counter next to the register. By the time any of us get any good measurements, it'll be long gone.

BP Guthrie
Jun 13, 2006

What's this? My 'Hippy Sense' is tingling!
I normally find myself agreeing with SMG (god help me) but this time I can't. Are you saying the movie has no soul or heart because I just don't see it, the way I saw it the movie has nothing BUT heart.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's so shonen that they hug at the end instead of kiss. Everyone in this movie is 12 years old.
This is why I loved the film, it reminds me of when I was 10 watching Ultraman and Godzilla and Gamera. I never questioned the global economic and political implications of Godzilla and King Ghidora wrecking Tokyo for the 20th time, 10 year old me didn't care - dropkick him again Godzilla! Looking for hows and whys in this film is fine but I doubt you'll find them, I tried at first, but when HUNDU pointed out the 2 heroes hugging at the end (instead of making out) it clicked. Kissing and going to work is what boring grown ups do, heroes don't have time for that, it'd get in the way of rocket punching the next monster.

You could say that the film is designed to make dumb nerds like me feel that way, so I'll spend $ on seeing it 5 times and buying figures and XBox games, I think that's way too cynical for this film though. It's not Transformers. In many ways it's the total opposite of Transformers, in that it's a completely unironic version of grownups playing with kids toys and trying to be 10 again, where Transformers is the bitter, nasty, cynical version of that. I did not detect a hint of irony or satire anywhere.

It's not the best movie ever, it's got some pacing problems and I agree it needs to "show not tell" some more. But drat if it wasn't the most fun I've had at a movie in forever.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
Uhhhh ummmm...why does everyone think the Kaiju are all female, I mean did someone go around the rift pulling up their skirts?

Edit: VVV-

Jabbu fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 18, 2013

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jabbu posted:

Uhhhh ummmm...why does everyone think the Kaiju are all female, I mean did someone go around the rift pulling up their skirts?

One was pregnant. The others aren't mentioned. Thus, we know at least that the Kaiju are capable of being female. At least, that's how I see it having caught on.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man I wish my room wasn't already overflowing with boxes upon boxes of LEGO and clutter. As inexpensive and amazing as that Amazon price is, I can't bring myself to actually do it because I need to put my foot down and confront my problem with hoarding awesome stuff. I know I'll end up putting a Cherno Alpha figure on my desk, and then it'll end up buried underneath papers and notes and I'll pull it out years later only to start the process all over again. :sigh:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

SMG doesn't like Pacific Rim because Pacific Rim scares him. It is out and out, a film that utterly denies the relevancy of his existence - it outright says that the Philosopher, the man who stays up late at night wrapped in metaphor and ethereal wonder, typing out long form forum posts on the Internet; he does not matter.

It says that humanity survives upon the backs of those that do - from the opening shots referencing Rosie the Riveter to the utter demolishing of the wall by the Kaiju, that inaction is the Sword of Damocles that dangles above humanity's head.

**HEAVY SPOILER WARNING**

There is a very important reason the monsters of Pacific Rim lack personality - from their organic construction being built as soulless objects who do nothing but destroy massive population centers to their inability to know fear - they have more in common with natural disasters. Pacific Rim brings in the reality of tsunamis, tornados, and the like, by not characterizing them - they simply are, and they keep coming, and they keep getting stronger, faster, and more innovative. To treat them as something else would not only betray the ideal of the film, but also spit in the face of those who have suffered through the natural disasters the film ties itself to, by dressing them up in artistic rendition. It is a direct foreshadowing of their origin that comes later in the film.

The characters of the film in multiple ways look down upon those who do not do, those who seek inaction, that very ideal that makes people like SuperMechaGodzilla tremble in his socks at night. From our dashing, handsome young male lead Raleigh who is seen as cold, and lifeless outside of a Jaeger to being full of energy and life when he is in the Drift - the film opens with him losing his brother, his best friend to the Kaiju right before his eyes. In shock, in desperation for his own life, he manages to kill off the beast, before finally collapsing.

His washing up upon the beach, exhausted, broken, he collapses at the mere sight of a sad, old, and worse yet inactive man with his son, teaching him how to look for junk on the beach instead of a skill or a trade to help fend off the Kaiju menace. The combined horror of this and his brother's death drives him to hide, hiding in the construction of a wall, only to see another demolished before his very eyes. It takes only a few words from his old commanding officer, the wise Pentecost to bring him back into the fold.

Raleigh's first encounter on the Shatterdome is the young Mako, and the relationship between Pentecost and Mako is yet another shining damnation of individuals like SuperMechaGodzilla. Her only desire is to fight, to pilot, and this desire is so strong it drives her to insubordination. Yet Pentecost first met her as an inactive weakling to protect, and that first impression damns her in his eyes for eternity, no matter how hard she outperforms, how hard she begs, she's clawing for the chance to prove herself as a doer. Visually this is so directly communicated, from Pentecost standing atop the shoulders of a Jaeger, crowned in a halo, looking down at the dirty, pathetic, crying Mako.

It takes a fellow doer's insistence, Raleigh's, to finally convince Pentecost to let her join their ranks. Even though she's not ready, even though she's inexperienced, even though she hasn't done, they take a chance on her. As there are two people in the world, the philosophers and the politicians and those who would give up everything for the sake of laziness, even hiding behind a wall, in order to sit around and ramble. And there are those worshipped as celebrities, those who put their lives on the front line, those who would simply do what is necessary in the face of monstrous destruction.

Pacific Rim is a statement of humanity's necessity to constantly improve, to constantly build bigger, and better, and smarter than ever before. The death of the Russian and Chinese Jaegers are simply statements of this fact - they are torn apart because the Kaiju became more monstrous in response to them, while they chose to remain stagnant. Cherno Alpha is a Mark I Jaeger and Crimson Typhoon sticks with a tried and true Thundercloud Formation - the Kaiju adapted and became only more monstrous to break them. Pacific Rim is a love letter to the singularity, a demand for constant and unpredictable technological innovation and for humanity's courage to constantly move forward along a course uncharted.

This is what unsettles SuperMechaGodzilla, because what he sees as a call for consumerism, is a call for innovation, to build bigger and stronger. Charlie Day's character, the scientist Newton Geiszler, is a shining example of "hacker culture," of the kind of thinking man society needs - who throws together "junk" to achieve a monumental innovation - the drifting with the Kaiju brain. For this crime he is hunted down and almost eaten alive by the Kaiju, who seek to preserve the status quo, fearful of his disruption to the market of destruction.

The Kaiju are essentially the major record companies and Newton is early Napster, the only thing saving him are the hulking mass of other innovators seeking to disrupt their destructive profit model strangling small, starving artists through sharing music across the Internet.

SMG is Hermann Gottlieb, a wise mind who is condemned for his shambling and his inaction, who avoids taking the necessary risks. Only as the hour strikes 12, in humanity's darkest hour, does Gottlieb take the risk necessary to innovate a strategy to destroy the Rift and end the Kaiju threat. From shambling and nonsensical to being proud and intellectual, his portrayal in the film is a very direct line of indication.

The pilot and main character Raleigh emphasizes being unpredictable, to the dismay of Mako until she learns the absolute necessity of this strategy - hence the scene where she draws the sword, when she cries "for my family," a triumphant declaration of overcoming the monsters that have hurt her. Yet who is Mako's family that she refers to? Her dead parents, long forgotten? Or her adoptive father, Marshall Stacker Pentecost? Proving herself on the same level as Pentecost's favorite pilot, she slays the beast with ease, a declaration that yes, she was capable of defending humanity with the proper application of action.

In the final moments of the film, as the wounded Gipsy Danger drifts into the Rift, Raleigh disconnections the unconscious Mako, stating how he doesn't need her help, he only needs to fall, seeks to protect a fellow doer, preserving her for future defenses of humanity. Of course, he does this without knowing of the imminent computer malfunction, and once again, he is called upon to put it all on the line and commit to a dangerous gamble in order to detonate the nuclear reaction and defend humanity.

The end of Pacific Rim, the embrace of the two pilots Raleigh and Mako is sadly not a happy ending, but a horrifying one for the world - as they embrace as two of the last handful of people able to put it all on the line in order to defend the human race.

**END MAJOR SPOILERS**

With global warming, cowardly world leaders, and the corruption of hacker culture with massive "tech startup" corporations such as Yahoo and Skype and Facebook, Pacifc Rim is a cry to band together as individuals and innovate in the face of the monstrous destruction of humanity at massive, seemingly organic corporations. As great minds and innovators get sucked up to the Kaiju hive mind to build idiotic luxuries for the upper middle class like Instagram and Vine, we need to be building the Jaegers of our time - green energy, ways to feed the world, ways to unite and end inter-species conflict.

Pacific Rim demands that we unite and build. It damns the men like SuperMechaGodzilla who seek to sit in the corners and shout down those who build, yet rest easy in the status quo.

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 18, 2013

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don't know, the imagery of Gipsy's sword being a giant boner fueled by righteous hatred is pretty :black101: though.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
:siren:HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER:siren:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

When does Charlie Day's character (Newt, by the way) ever "hook his brain up to the universe"? He drifts with a Kaiju brain, which happens to drift him with the entire kaiju 'species' (entity, maybe?). A far cry from the entire universe).

As for Jaegar funding, it's the Pan Pacific Defense Corps that's funding the whole program. A major plot point that kicks off the bulk of the movie is the PPDC pulling their funding.

The Kaiju are not caused by pollution. Their masters are adapted to an environment that is (by our standards) polluted. I'm assuming this means warmer climate and more CO2 in the atmosphere due to Newt's mention of global warming and ozone depletion.

While I appreciate the amount of effort and thought you put into your critiques, it would be appreciated if you used the facts provided by the film itself when doing so.

The alien world at the other side of the rift is a metaphor for the universe. Specifically, it's everything outside the symbolic universe of everyday reality - it's the unsymbolizable Real - represented by both by the abjection and gore of the kaiju monsters, and the purely 'abstract' scientific knowledge visualized with the blue holograms. This is why both the kaiju's innards and the computer screens glow bright blue, and why the two scientists end up as a team. They're both struggling to understand the same thing. The rift is a (literal) traumatic rupture that thrusts incomprehensible and terrifying aliens into the 'everyday' world.

The monsters are caused by pollution because the pollution terraformed the earth into an environment that attracts them. Everyday life in America is sustained by 'invisible' disavowed costs (overseas exploitation, pollution, etc.). The kaiju emerge like terrifying hurricanes because it's a 'chickens coming home to roost' thing. Climate change causes severe weather, as we know. So, the aliens themselves are the personification of what is (literally) going on 'under the surface' and erupting traumatically. By not doing something sooner, the humans unwittingly invited them.

I will admit, of course, that the film doesn't convey all this as well as it could.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shots. Fired. And overall I agree pretty well with this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The alien world at the other side of the rift is a metaphor for the universe. Specifically, it's everything outside the symbolic universe of everyday reality - it's the unsymbolizable Real - represented by both by the abjection and gore of the kaiju monsters, and the purely 'abstract' scientific knowledge visualized with the blue holograms. This is why both the kaiju's innards and the computer screens glow bright blue, and why the two scientists end up as a team. They're both struggling to understand the same thing. The rift is a (literal) traumatic rupture that thrusts incomprehensible and terrifying aliens into the 'everyday' world.

The monsters are caused by pollution because the pollution terraformed the earth into an environment that attracts them. Everyday life in America is sustained by 'invisible' disavowed costs (overseas exploitation, pollution, etc.). The kaiju emerge like terrifying hurricanes because it's a 'chickens coming home to roost' thing. Climate change causes severe weather, as we know. So, the aliens themselves are the personification of what is (literally) going on 'under the surface' and erupting traumatically. By not doing something sooner, the humans unwittingly invited them.

I will admit, of course, that the film doesn't convey all this as well as it could.

Well, your post did not present all of that as your metaphorical interpretations. You presented several of your points as if they were factual presentations from the film (No, I'm not demanding every opinion be presented with "In my opinion" in front of it, just that interpretation be labelled as such).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Well, your post did not present all of that as your metaphorical interpretations. You presented several of your points as if they were factual presentations from the film (No, I'm not demanding every opinion be presented with "In my opinion" in front of it, just that interpretation be labelled as such).

Everything that occurs in the film is metaphorical. It's a film - and one with blatant psychosexual imagery at that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jesus Christ Jeffaroo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Everything that occurs in the film is metaphorical. It's a film - and one with blatant psychosexual imagery at that.

Yes, everything in a film can have many interpretations, but it's intellectually dishonest to present your specific ones as if they are factual. There is one objective experience that the film presents, with myriad subjective interpretations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BP Guthrie
Jun 13, 2006

What's this? My 'Hippy Sense' is tingling!
This is magnificent. I had been trying to say all along that the Jaeger pilots save the world because that's what heroes do (from the eyes of a 10 year old). Bravo sir.

• Locked thread