Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

DaveKap posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I can't seem to find TMo's 30 dollar plan on their site anymore. Did it just disappear?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Bottom Left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thanks. They're really trying to hide that plan and give absolutely no fine print for it. Do those 100 minutes roll over? I'm sure they don't but it's worth asking. :)

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

Thanks. They're really trying to hide that plan and give absolutely no fine print for it. Do those 100 minutes roll over? I'm sure they don't but it's worth asking. :)

No they don't and there are no free night and weekend or mobile-to-mobile minutes. You get 100 minutes during your billing period and they are lost if you have extra. If you go over it's .10/minute

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I switched over to Ting, and while the service is fine (and the price is awesome) I get like 1, maybe 2 bars in my own home. This lovely Sprint service is unacceptable anymore. I was looking at the $3 per day plan from TMo, and that looks like a good (if somewhat more expensive) replacement. What carrier-specific phone do I have to buy to take advantage of TMo's service (I've been on Nextel/Sprint forever, so I really don't know anything about who uses the same type of phones.)

Also, for the $3 per day plan, what kind of speeds do you see once you exceed your allotted 200 mb? I'm not too worried about hitting that, as on Ting, I've barely hit 175 megs in almost a month (though lovely service is also playing a part in that.) And how is signal strength inside buildings? Sprint is so bad that my phone is essentially useless once I'm inside most buildings.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, for the $3 per day plan, what kind of speeds do you see once you exceed your allotted 200 mb? I'm not too worried about hitting that, as on Ting, I've barely hit 175 megs in almost a month (though lovely service is also playing a part in that.) And how is signal strength inside buildings? Sprint is so bad that my phone is essentially useless once I'm inside most buildings.
I don't think I understand the point of that plan, btw. Is it supposed to only charge you for the day if you send/receive texts, calls, or data? Because otherwise it's 90 bucks a month and that seems like a ridiculously poor choice.

Edit: Sorry I typed this sentence out wrong because I am dumb. I've edited to look correct.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 18, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I can't seem to find TMo's 30 dollar plan on their site anymore. Did it just disappear?

As noted the Unlimited Data 100 minute plan is there but the $30 large minute 50mb plan seems to have maybe disappeared.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Stick100 posted:

As noted the Unlimited Data 100 minute plan is there but the $30 large minute 50mb plan seems to have maybe disappeared.

You mean on the bottom right of the same link?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DaveKap posted:

I don't think I understand the point of that plan, btw. Is it supposed to only charge you for the day if you send/receive no texts, calls, or data? Because otherwise it's 90 bucks a month and that seems like a ridiculously poor choice.
What? Why would they charge you for days you didn't use the phone? You get charged $3 per day for Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, and Unlimited Web - First 200MB at up to 4G speeds.

That being said, my math was off, and the plan wouldn't make sense for me, since I'd have to do it for three people.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

What? Why would they charge you for days you didn't use the phone? You get charged $3 per day for Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text, and Unlimited Web - First 200MB at up to 4G speeds.

That being said, my math was off, and the plan wouldn't make sense for me, since I'd have to do it for three people.

If you did T-mobiles regular plan ($50 1st line, $30 second, $10 for each line after (so total of $100), and didn't add additional data, that's unlimited/500MB per line per month. If you need more, 10 for 2 more gigs, 20 for unlimited (per line).

Might be a better bet than prepaid if you need >100 minutes.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

You mean on the bottom right of the same link?

Thank you I clicked the Which plan is right for you? link and they only show the unlimited data, $50, $60, $70 plans. It's funny they used to hide the $30 unlimited data plan and push the $30 1500 minutes talk | 30MB of data.

It does say now that the 1500 minutes talk/30mb of data plan is now only available in store.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

What carrier-specific phone do I have to buy to take advantage of TMo's service (I've been on Nextel/Sprint forever, so I really don't know anything about who uses the same type of phones.)
Any T-Mobile phone (obviously) and some AT&T phones will work on T-Mobile. You're probably better off finding an unbranded, unlocked phone, though.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

No but if your phone checks an email or someone sends you a text in a day you get charged $3 for that day.

In total for most people it seems like it would likely end up costing more than one of the other plans.

Also don't forget you don't need data and use calls/text lightly you can just buy minutes straight. I know someone who loves a Nexus 4 and uses it for calls and text / wifi only and ends up spending less than $100 per year for service.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Any T-Mobile phone (obviously) and some AT&T phones will work on T-Mobile. You're probably better off finding an unbranded, unlocked phone, though.
Will any unlocked phone work? I see "international phone" a lot, but I'm not really sure what that means, exactly... Also, looking at the TMo coverage map, and comparing it to Sprint's map, Sprint actually (supposedly) has better coverage and signal strength - which is phenomenally depressing. I really don't want to buy a phone then find out that my Ting/Sprint service was just as good...

I really don't know if my problem is my phone or Sprint service. I've got an E4GT - I know the phone is reviled, but I also know that Sprint's signal through buildings is pretty terrible. I don't know if upgrading my phone and staying on Ting is the answer, or if going to TMo is the way to go. Either way, I have to buy a new phone, and money is tight. I'd really hate to buy a phone for TMo and find out that I get an equal (or lesser) quality of service and wind up paying more for the plan.

I don't know what to do... :ohdear:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Will any unlocked phone work? I see "international phone" a lot, but I'm not really sure what that means, exactly... Also, looking at the TMo coverage map, and comparing it to Sprint's map, Sprint actually (supposedly) has better coverage and signal strength - which is phenomenally depressing. I really don't want to buy a phone then find out that my Ting/Sprint service was just as good...

I really don't know if my problem is my phone or Sprint service. I've got an E4GT - I know the phone is reviled, but I also know that Sprint's signal through buildings is pretty terrible. I don't know if upgrading my phone and staying on Ting is the answer, or if going to TMo is the way to go. Either way, I have to buy a new phone, and money is tight. I'd really hate to buy a phone for TMo and find out that I get an equal (or lesser) quality of service and wind up paying more for the plan.

Bit of a dick move but these are to cell phone companies so I don't mind. Go signup for service like a normal person and return the phone within the no questions asked time period (14 days). You'll pay for your part of the contract you used but get your phone deposit refunded. If you want to test Ting you could do the same deal at Sprint or have a family member try it out. Ting is a good deal if you don't want data. Ting's data prices are really expensive for 1-2 GB of data plus you are on Sprint so you are going to get unusable speeds. Best thing I've ever done was drop Sprint and get T-Mobile but I'm in Seattle where it's supposed to be one of the best T-Mobile areas so YMMV.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berzerkmonkey posted:

Generally any unlocked modern GSM (non-Sprint/Verizon) phone will work on both T-Mo and ATT. The exceptions if I recall are few and far between as long as you're not looking for a phone older than a couple years old. Specifically you're looking for AWS bands 2 and 4, aka 1900 and paired 1700/2100 respectively. I am fairly sure those numbers are still up to date. There are some PCS frequencies that I think may work in some areas due to the MetroPCS acquisition but those AWS ones are the ones you definitely need.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gariig posted:

Bit of a dick move but these are to cell phone companies so I don't mind. Go signup for service like a normal person and return the phone within the no questions asked time period (14 days). You'll pay for your part of the contract you used but get your phone deposit refunded. If you want to test Ting you could do the same deal at Sprint or have a family member try it out. Ting is a good deal if you don't want data. Ting's data prices are really expensive for 1-2 GB of data plus you are on Sprint so you are going to get unusable speeds. Best thing I've ever done was drop Sprint and get T-Mobile but I'm in Seattle where it's supposed to be one of the best T-Mobile areas so YMMV.

Remember Ting is Sprint minus Verizon data roaming. If you travel Ting may well leave you without a data connection where Sprint would work. TMo has been great while Sprint has been spotty in my city and my city is mostly done with Sprint NV but as always YMMV.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

gariig posted:

Go signup for service like a normal person and return the phone within the no questions asked time period (14 days). You'll pay for your part of the contract you used but get your phone deposit refunded.
Good call - I'll probably try that. I've got a TMo store right up the road from me. I hate to do stuff like this, but I don't want to drop $300 for a non-starter. Thanks guys.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The Entire Universe posted:

Generally any unlocked modern GSM (non-Sprint/Verizon) phone will work on both T-Mo and ATT. The exceptions if I recall are few and far between as long as you're not looking for a phone older than a couple years old. Specifically you're looking for AWS bands 2 and 4, aka 1900 and paired 1700/2100 respectively. I am fairly sure those numbers are still up to date. There are some PCS frequencies that I think may work in some areas due to the MetroPCS acquisition but those AWS ones are the ones you definitely need.

To expand on this here is a chart of which GSM carriers use which frequencies (MHz) for which services:
code:
Carrier   | 2G/EDGE    | 3G/"4G" HSPA                           | 4G LTE
AT&T      | 850, 1900  | 850, 1900                              | 700 (most areas), AWS (limited areas)
T-Mobile  | 850, 1900  | AWS (most areas), 1900 (limited areas) | AWS
AWS = 1700/2100 split, sometimes referred to as the "1700" band. Note: there is a separate 2100-only band that is used internationally but it is not compatible with the AWS band.

Carrier-branded phones generally only support the bands their carrier uses*. As you can see on the chart AT&T and T-Mobile use the same bands for 2G and have some overlap for 3G and 4G LTE. An AT&T phone will receive T-Mobile 3G in limited areas (which they are expanding as part of their 4G LTE upgrade) and will receive 4G LTE in areas where it is available. A newer T-Mobile phone on the AT&T network should be able to use AT&T 3G service (though older T-Mobile phones may not as T-Mobile did not previously support 3G on the 1900 band) and may be able to use 4G LTE in the extremely limited areas where AT&T has deployed LTE on the AWS band (but don't count on it). Because the AWS band is an oddity of spectrum allocation in North America, international phones (that are not from the Canadian carriers that use AWS) usually do not support it.

*A notable exception is the newest version of the North American GSM iPhone 5 which supports both T-Mobile and AT&T bands (other versions of the 5 and all models of the 4s and earlier generations only support AT&T bands for 3G).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 18, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, there wasn't supposed to be a "no" in that sentence so it looks really stupid. My bad.

Mr.Radar posted:

Because the AWS band is an oddity of spectrum allocation in North America, international phones (that are not from the Canadian carriers that use AWS) usually do not support it.
Does this mean buying an International S4 (octo-core omg omg) for TMo is a bad idea because it won't work on TMo's AWS band?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, there wasn't supposed to be a "no" in that sentence so it looks really stupid. My bad.

Does this mean buying an International S4 (octo-core omg omg) for TMo is a bad idea because it won't work on TMo's AWS band?

None of the versions with the octo core processor support the AWS band for 3G or 4G LTE (Wikipedia has a chart of all the variant models). You would still be able to get 3G on the 1900 MHz band if it is deployed in your area, though user reports say that even in areas where the 1900 MHz rollout has been "completed" T-Mobile's 1900 MHz 3G coverage is still much spottier than their AWS 3G coverage.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI for extreme penny pinchers HSN has a great deal going right now:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/99114/hsn-nokia-lumia-521-4-prepaid-windows-8-smartphone-for-tmobile-w-case-earbuds-car-charger

This is a 512mb WP8 Lumia device being offered for either $99 or $79. It has a low resolution screen but has reviewed pretty favorably. This phone is locked onto TMo, but should pair well with the $30 plans or pay per minute. I don't know of good VOIP solutions for using data.

WP8 works remarkably well with incredibly low specs. If you are tied to iOs or Android then this won't work.

WP8 Pros: Works fine to web surf, email, call, text, xbox integration, decent turn-by-turn
WP8 Cons: Everything else, there are few apps and those that exist are low quality and expensive.

The apps issue is to such a point that I would say if you plan to play games or use paid apps just stay away.

Note: This device can accept SD cards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Price on that thing is dropping fast.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="417526906"]
Buy an S4 off Craigslist and get a sim card from tmobile for like $1. Activate the $30 100 minute plan online. Port your number in after the account is already set up with a new number from tmobile.

Good idea unless you get a stolen phone/not paid for phone and your service gets blocked about 6 weeks in. This happened to me with a "refurbished" S3 I purchased off of Amazon.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

roffels posted:

Good idea unless you get a stolen phone/not paid for phone and your service gets blocked about 6 weeks in. This happened to me with a "refurbished" S3 I purchased off of Amazon.

Well yeah, feel free to include "make sure you don't get scammed/stub your toe/die in a car accident/etc" anywhere in there. That sucks that that happened through Amazon. I'm sure there's some kind of buyer protection for things bought through them?

Someone already covered how to buy off Craigslist, but to reiterate, do it at a tmobile store so you can verify that the phone isn't going to get blacklisted.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Not sure if you guys caught it yet, but there are rumors circulating that Verizon may try to buy up some of the telcos in Canada to make a move into that market (specifically Wind & Mobilicity). Something to keep an eye on if any Canadians are currently using either of those two telcos.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Does Tmobile prepaid pad taxes and fees after the 50/60/70 dollar base price? Or is it a clean 50/60/70 dollar cost each month?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Anyone who needs an activation kit with a sim card for T-Mobile can get it now for $1.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/99210/tmobile-tmobile-prepaid-phone-sim-card-activation-kit-full-micro-or-nano-size

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a friend that wants to move to prepaid, and she lives in an area that only gets good coverage from AT&T and Verizon. Since StraightTalk no longer sells AT&T sim cards, is Net10 her only option at this point? Can you still buy AT&T sim cards on Net10? She wants it for voice/data/text and probably uses less than 2GB of data at this point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hughmoris posted:

I have a friend that wants to move to prepaid, and she lives in an area that only gets good coverage from AT&T and Verizon. Since StraightTalk no longer sells AT&T sim cards, is Net10 her only option at this point? Can you still buy AT&T sim cards on Net10? She wants it for voice/data/text and probably uses less than 2GB of data at this point.

If she is gonna stick with straight talk for a while she can buy a ATT sim off ebay.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hughmoris posted:

You can buy an ATT Straight Talk SIM off ebay. If you want to start from scratch, you can get an ATT Net10 SIM, but they don't always offer them from the website.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I had no issues buying a net10 sim from target.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Net10 sim packs are like 15-20 bucks at target and carry a micro ATT sim, a full ATT sim, and a full T-Mo sim. Cutting them with scissors is not hard as I did it with the two big ones without issue, as well as a replacement SIM that came in the mail when I switched back to ATT and ported my old number back in after finding out T-Mobile's official policy is that Omaha does not exist.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Net10 sim packs are like 15-20 bucks at target and carry a micro ATT sim, a full ATT sim, and a full T-Mo sim. Cutting them with scissors is not hard as I did it with the two big ones without issue, as well as a replacement SIM that came in the mail when I switched back to ATT and ported my old number back in after finding out T-Mobile's official policy is that Omaha does not exist.

T-Mobile barely works in ANY part of Nebraska or Iowa.

Seriously, I traversed the entire state of Iowa and had absolutely NO signal from T-Mobile.

I had AT&T signal right up until I got to Vinton, IA.

T-Mobile just sucks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

T-Mobile barely works in ANY part of Nebraska or Iowa.

Seriously, I traversed the entire state of Iowa and had absolutely NO signal from T-Mobile.

I had AT&T signal right up until I got to Vinton, IA.

T-Mobile just sucks.

It's mainly the lack of coverage/refusal to expand in the region at all. T-Mo actually refused to allow the port-in of the 402 area code number I was assigned by Net10 and I had to have a 660 number (I guess it was something nearby but also within the KC market) assigned. It wasn't a big loss because I hadn't ported in my Sprint number but yeah they won't even let you port your number over if you're from the area. I have family with T-Mobile and N4s and can attest they most certainly do not suck when there's coverage :colbert: but unless you live in a CITY and not just a City or city you're SOL.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Regarding the $30/mo T-Mobile plan: Does anyone know how much you pay per minute if you exceed the 100 min limit? I'm not a big talker, but I do often exceed 100 minutes every month, especially if I get stuck on hold with someone.

Rkikzza
Sep 5, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Regarding the $30/mo T-Mobile plan: Does anyone know how much you pay per minute if you exceed the 100 min limit? I'm not a big talker, but I do often exceed 100 minutes every month, especially if I get stuck on hold with someone.

It's 10 cents a minute when you go over 100, but if I'm not mistaken you need to have money already in your account to cover the overage.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ok, thanks.

Miskatonic U.
Aug 13, 2008

Do you read Sutter Cane?
I had been on the t-mobile $30 plan, and changed to the $70 plan a little while ago. My situation has changed again and I don't really need the unlimited minutes anymore, but the $30 plan is no longer an option.

Is it the case that the plan is still offered through walmart/online, but is somehow promotional so I can't switch my existing service back? If that is the case, can I just buy another sim card from the t-mobile site, activate it on the $30 plan, and swap out the sim in my phone?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Yeah you need to get a new sim, and if I remember correctly they won't port your number from prepaid to prepaid, so unless something has changed you need to port your number out somewhere else and then back to your new account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadBeatsCrewDerk
Jul 18, 2005

WHAT IT DEW
BAD BEATS CREW

Lowen SoDium posted:

Anyways, you don't have PM so I will just drop my referral link here if you want to use it.

Just used successfully to get a Kyocera Rise (it finally came back in stock today) for $25 off. Looking forward to dumping Virgin Mobile where I spend between $35-45 a month for Ting, where the perfect plan for me will basically be $21/mo. I've been eyeing them and recommending them to friends forever, waiting for my balance on Virgin Mobile to finally reach $0 until I could jump on board.

If anyone wants to use my referral here you go.

• Locked thread