Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think if they do a sequel it will pretty much just be Aliens. New portal, 1000 Kaiju, a Jaeger from every country on earth and a category 10 they all have to turn in to Mechajaegar (Japanese Mick Jagger) to defeat by thrusting a giant country-sized pelvic sword in to it's breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
SMG, you will be forever one of my favorites for your surgical dismantling of people who liked Duke Nukem Forever, but I got to tell you I have no loving idea what that quote has to do with anything that I said. I mean, I've read it three times now and I don't see how it addresses anything I said, Zizeck is talking about "the neighbor" as a human being and metaphorical monsters but I've already said that the kaiju monsters are real, they are literally real in the world of this movie.

I almost typed something dumb about Zizeck's reaction to kaiju in the world of Pacific Rim before I had an epiphany: I guess I'm just too loving stupid to continue this exchange and I'm not afraid to say it; a man's gotta know his limitations. Feel free to point and laugh because buddy, you've Zizecked me right out of the conversation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Pacific Rim and Jeferoo both promote a strong authoritarian leader who stages a militia uprising that exalts youth, virilty, masculinity (etc.) as traits that will give them the courage to pragmatically 'do what needs to be done' to regenerate the ailing nation (or nations in this case). They have both promoted a conception of the nation as an organic and mystical community that should adopt policies against groups 'outside' that are deemed inferior or dangerous to the stability of the nation. They present technocracy and solidarity as the basic principles that would allow the collaboration of productive sectors, to enhance the power of the milita regime - while preserving private property and class divisions. The throughline in all this is war, glorious war - mass mobilization of the community that believes in the above against the enemy. It's fascist.

There are a few details in this analysis which I believe are inaccurate.

First, the value it exalts, more than youth or virility or even the very conspicuous masculinity, is trust. They need courage not to overcome the difficulty of the necessary task, but to heal from the pain of loss and open up to another person as an equal. Additionally, the most effective team of rangers is also the one that's most different from each other, showing an esteem for diversity not usually associated with fascism.

The outsiders, while dangerous, are definitely not deemed inferior; in fact, the jaegers consciously imitate kaiju througout, with Gypsy Danger being the most kaiju-like and the most glamorized of them all.

The PPDC is very pointedly not military (nobody in this film wears a uniform), nor is it a regime. The regime that does exist is the one that wishes to preserve class boundaries (helpfully identified by the geographical boundary 300 miles inland, that the rich people are hiding behind); the PPDC appears to have no ambitions regarding class at all, and while the authoritarian Stacker Pentecost is certainly portrayed as a worthier leader than his bosses, he seems content to lead his "resistance" only, and he makes several bad calls that are only rectified through acts of insubordination.

These inconsistencies might be individually trivial, mere nitpicking, but taken together they may indicate a pretty substantial deviation from the fairly strict definition of fascism that you offered.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 18, 2013

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

tekz posted:

Why is that "a problem"? Do you only enjoy movies that cater to your pet political cause?

The accusation was only SMG could.

Also you missed the part of the post that actually levied a critism of the Jaegers being consumerism or whatever.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
If I enjoyed Pacific Rim, what other related things should I watch/read? We had a discussion very, very early in the thread, but that was before anyone had seen the movie.

Big O, Eva, Gurren Lagaan, Gunbuster...is anything missing?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jack Does Jihad posted:

If I enjoyed Pacific Rim, what other related things should I watch/read? We had a discussion very, very early in the thread, but that was before anyone had seen the movie.

You'll probably dig Giant Robo.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Forget Evangelion, go watch Marcross or Maginzer Z. Both fit the themes and tone of this movie better.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they greenlight a sequel and wish to add star power I would like them to consider the Rock and Sam Jackson as their star pilots...who go out in the first 10 minutes of the film setting up Nick Frost and Simon Pegg to try and save the day. The entire marketing effort only shows clips within the first 10 minutes. It will be a 3 hour movie. Matthew McConaughey can take the Stacker spot. Chris Tucker will voice the Kaiju. Helen Mirren the love interest and rival pilot.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gatts posted:

If they greenlight a sequel and wish to add star power I would like them to consider the Rock and Sam Jackson as their star pilots...who go out in the first 10 minutes of the film setting up Nick Frost and Simon Pegg to try and save the day. The entire marketing effort only shows clips within the first 10 minutes. It will be a 3 hour movie. Matthew McConaughey can take the Stacker spot. Chris Tucker will voice the Kaiju. Helen Mirren the love interest and rival pilot.

The Rock's jaeger would have pecs that twitch and moveable eyebrows.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Save Eva for last since you might be able to catch all of the new OVA/movie things after you're done with everything else, and it's a total downer that doesn't match the tone or influences of PR nearly as much as some other stuff. Like, for instance, G Gundam, GaoGaiGar, maybe Patlabor. Make sure you watch the Gurren Lagann movies too, they're a great compressed version of the series with even more absurdly cosmic burning justice.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

SMG, you will be forever one of my favorites for your surgical dismantling of people who liked Duke Nukem Forever, but I got to tell you I have no loving idea what that quote has to do with anything that I said. I mean, I've read it three times now and I don't see how it addresses anything I said, Zizeck is talking about "the neighbor" as a human being and metaphorical monsters but I've already said that the kaiju monsters are real, they are literally real in the world of this movie.

I almost typed something dumb about Zizeck's reaction to kaiju in the world of Pacific Rim before I had an epiphany: I guess I'm just too loving stupid to continue this exchange and I'm not afraid to say it; a man's gotta know his limitations. Feel free to point and laugh because buddy, you've Zizecked me right out of the conversation.

As in World War Z, the monsters represent poor people.

In the literal reality of the film, they are large, reptilian poor people. See an entire slum growing from their bodies as they're consumed. Hannibal is fundamentally the same character as the Nigerian gangsters that (literally) feed on the aliens in District 9.

Bongo Bill posted:

There are a few details in this analysis which I believe are inaccurate.

First, the value it exalts, more than youth or virility or even the very conspicuous masculinity, is trust. They need courage not to overcome the difficulty of the necessary task, but to heal from the pain of loss and open up to another person as an equal. Additionally, the most effective team of rangers is also the one that's most different from each other, showing an esteem for diversity not usually associated with fascism.

The outsiders, while dangerous, are definitely not deemed inferior; in fact, the jaegers consciously imitate kaiju througout, with Gypsy Danger being the most kaiju-like and the most glamorized of them all.

The PPDC is very pointedly not military (nobody in this film wears a uniform), nor is it a regime. The regime that does exist is the one that wishes to preserve class boundaries (helpfully identified by the geographical boundary 300 miles inland, that the rich people are hiding behind); the PPDC appears to have no ambitions regarding class at all, and while the authoritarian Stacker Pentecost is certainly portrayed as a worthier leader than his bosses, he seems content to lead his "resistance" only, and he makes several bad calls that are only rectified through acts of insubordination.

These inconsistencies might be individually trivial, mere nitpicking, but taken together they may indicate a pretty substantial deviation from the fairly strict definition of fascism that you offered.

Your first point I covered in my previous post. The film advocates a form of friendship that's exclusionary. Everyone collaborates to form an organic community, but it's based around keeping the 'unproductive' people out. As in WWZ, there is the imagery of stupid ineffective walls - but the message in both films is (satirically?) that a wall isn't enough; we need to do more to protect our Family against the unfamiliar, crushing them under our boot-heels.

The solution is the same 'postracial' fascism as in Starship Troopers. See the closeup of the alien face as we shove the final nuke into it. "It's afraid!"

The kaiju are presented as inferior in the sense that they are 'just animals' and not deserving of ethical consideration. They are also obviously presented as extremely disruptive to the organic makeup of the nation. It's the same contradiction in antisemitism, where the jews are both all-powerful and ratlike. (And see the pejorative term 'kaiju' groupie' leveled at Charlie Day and the implicit fear of 'race-mixing'.)

By 'the regime' I'm talking about the militia (not military) group that Stacker wrests control of from the decadent know-nothing/traitorous bureaucrats. See also: Leonidas in 300, Koobus in District 9.... That's the sort of figure Stacker is. That the PPCD is not really concerned about class is precisely what's wrong with them.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 18, 2013

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Waffles Inc. posted:

this is a pretty cool post, guy

It has about as much substance and bearing on Pacific Rim as SMG's did.

In the literal reality of the film, they are large, reptilian poor people.

No, they are large reptilian hurricanes.

See the closeup of the alien face as we shove the final nuke into it. "It's afraid!"

This isn't even what occurs in that scene.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I remember when they crawled into the hurricane's womb and then stabbed its baby, then hurricane's body was stripped apart and eaten.

The heroes classify the kaiju using weird labels, not unlike the alien being assigned the name Christopher in District 9. They have reasons for doing so.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

There's the good old SuperMechagodzilla chauvinism where everything is from the human perspective. It's quite obvious from the film (for someone so into subtext you're very bad at the actual text part of things) that these are in essence terraforming machines and thus the equivalent of walking natural disasters.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I remember when they explicitly made the hurricane metaphor throughout the film, but that's because I was watching it and not choking on my own cum.

The idea of "the Kaiju are the poor" is insane.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The "bomb in the alien's face" thing is straight out of ID4, only the alien doesn't make any noise and there's no laughingskull.gif.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"I mean, you can't say they don't look like that, that's what they look like, right? They look like prawns."

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
If the monsters play into class considerations at all, it is as the destruction of the poor. They are Hurricane Katrina; the rich evacuate while the levees break and everyone else gets flooded.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Characters literally punch the pregnant 'hurricane' until it miscarries & dies.

The characters in the film say a lot of bullshit.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
For someone who's so keen on metaphor you've got a hard time grasping how it's actually used in fiction.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

Cool thanks for proving me right about the you not understanding text thing because you either can't read my post/didn't understand it/or didn't listen to the film when they bridged and understood how the monsters come to be.

Nessus posted:

I'm curious how you read the Kaiju walls in the context of your interpretation of the film. They seem to be the dominant image of the early parts of the film, anyway, even if they're shown to be worse than useless.

It's to keep the poors on the coast safe from...the poor?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Jaeger program has ways of shutting that down.

I'm curious how you read the Kaiju walls in the context of your interpretation of the film. They seem to be the dominant image of the early parts of the film, anyway, even if they're shown to be worse than useless.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bonaventure posted:

For someone who's so keen on metaphor you've got a hard time grasping how it's actually used in fiction.

There's a difference between the metaphorical implications of the film, and the metaphor employed by the blockheaded characters within the diegesis (via poo poo expository dialogue) to describe their enemies. Should I slow down?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If they're immigrants, then so are King Ghidorah, Gigan, Megalon, and any other alien-invader kaiju of the past several decades. If it is a metaphor than it isn't explored at all beyond there being a "wall" at some point- we don't have any misguided advocates for kaiju rights, there aren't any hidden kaiju who have forged their documentation, they make no attempt to impose a culture or way of life on us, they just show up and knock down buildings and then go away, either because they've been nuked or Jaeger'd. Their pattern of imagery is much closer to a natural disaster than an invading culture, unlike straight-up alien invasion flicks like ID4, Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, etc. where you do have large masses of aliens not only mobilizing but occupying our territory.

But it is interesting that, for all that the kaiju are innately hostile, our only means of survival and actually winning is to "drift" with them and discover what they're all about. In ID4 the alien explaining its plans to the President is largely incidental, they have to get a basic question of motivation out of the way before we kill them all. In Pacific Rim the heroes would not win if they didn't first interface with kaiju brains and then disguise themselves in kaiju trappings. Again I'm not sure how this maps to illegal immigration unless they're saying we should all act like Mexicans and go across the border to bomb the government or something- I'm not up on my nativist rhetoric these days but I've never heard that used as a plan before.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
If only a character had said "We used to have a problem with illegal aliens. But it turns out, real aliens were the threat all along."

Or maybe "We used to have a lot of words for the people we hated. Kike, spic, friend of the family. But it turns out, the real epithet is 'kaiju'."

I'm not sure why they didn't do this!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

In Pacific Rim the heroes would not win if they didn't first interface with kaiju brains and then disguise themselves in kaiju trappings.

http://tggeko.tumblr.com/post/55032773850

BP Guthrie
Jun 13, 2006

What's this? My 'Hippy Sense' is tingling!

Maxwell Lord posted:

If they're immigrants, then so are King Ghidorah, Gigan, Megalon, and any other alien-invader kaiju of the past several decades. If it is a metaphor than it isn't explored at all beyond there being a "wall" at some point- we don't have any misguided advocates for kaiju rights, there aren't any hidden kaiju who have forged their documentation, they make no attempt to impose a culture or way of life on us, they just show up and knock down buildings and then go away, either because they've been nuked or Jaeger'd. Their pattern of imagery is much closer to a natural disaster than an invading culture, unlike straight-up alien invasion flicks like ID4, Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, etc. where you do have large masses of aliens not only mobilizing but occupying our territory.

My original, tongue in cheek "reading" of the movie:

BP Guthrie posted:

Has anyone done an SMG-style subtext reading of this film?

The Kaiju are illegal aliens here to destroy our way of life. The Jaegers represent border patrol, effective for years but then overwhelmed as the number of Kaiju (Mexicans) increases. We build a wall to try to keep them out but it is ineffectual, and shown to be a ruse to make the poors feel better anyway. Only by working against the govt's orders are the remaining Jaeger (border patrol agents) able to protect the world (America) by destroying the passage between worlds (nuking Texas?).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

In the literal reality of the film, they are large, reptilian poor people. See an entire slum growing from their bodies as they're consumed. Hannibal is fundamentally the same character as the Nigerian gangsters that (literally) feed on the aliens in District 9.

Whoah hold on now, now that you're not dropping philosophical power bombs on me I can respond:

Hannibal is not an exploiter in the sense of the District 9 Nigerian gangster. He's not even in the same league. He is a scavenger, a carrion-eater, a bottom feeder with a carefully constructed image. He is a very successful scavenger, but he's not a exploiter or a killer. This is explicitly made clear when he sends Newt the scientist into a public shelter rather than (for instance) holding him prisoner as Kaiju bait or killing him because he represents a potential threat or any of a thousand other things that the Nigerian gangster would have done if he met someone who had mind-melded with the prawns. When you strip back the character's theatricality and posturing, you see that the Nigerian gangster is authentically base and power-seeking, willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goals - while Hannibal Chau admits that his image and name are a total fabrication and that for all his posturing he doesn't know his rear end from a hole in the ground (Hannibal's last words: "oh don't worry, this kaiju baby is totally dead, I could tell from the moment I saw it") They are fundamentally different characters.

I find the comparison to District 9 to be odd, because in District 9 the prawns are poor people because they are shown to be living exactly like poor people do: in slums, being economically exploited by the Nigerian gangsters, etc. They may be space aliens but they are shown to be treated like, and responded to, like a poor person and so this is supported by the text. In the world of District 9 you could swap a prawn for a destitute beggar from Calcutta and it would absolutely work. You cannot - you absolutely cannot - do this with a kaiju. Nowhere in the text of Pacific Rim are kaiju treated like a person, they are treated like a threat to be neutralized and destroyed. They are shown doing literally nothing but smashing and killing. If your point is that people build cities from dead kaiju and so they are a stand-in for cheap labor well let me point out they also build cities from natural resources - it takes labor and materials to construct a city, and I don't see the kaiju functioning as the labor at all (in fact, being explicit city-destroyers, they are pretty much the opposite of the poor labor that is exploited to raise those skyscrapers). So I don't see the equivalence at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 18, 2013

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

There's a difference between the metaphorical implications of the film, and the metaphor employed by the blockheaded characters within the diegesis (via poo poo expository dialogue) to describe their enemies. Should I slow down?

You shouldn't be condescending when the natural disaster metaphor extends beyond a character describing them that way. Perhaps you stopped watching before any of them showed up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

But it is interesting that, for all that the kaiju are innately hostile, our only means of survival and actually winning is to "drift" with them and discover what they're all about. In ID4 the alien explaining its plans to the President is largely incidental, they have to get a basic question of motivation out of the way before we kill them all. In Pacific Rim the heroes would not win if they didn't first interface with kaiju brains and then disguise themselves in kaiju trappings. Again I'm not sure how this maps to illegal immigration unless they're saying we should all act like Mexicans and go across the border to bomb the government or something- I'm not up on my nativist rhetoric these days but I've never heard that used as a plan before.

King Ghidorah is introduced as an opponent of Mothra, the Christian moth who promotes the universal love of Jesus. Being multi-headed and covered in gold, he is easily interpreted as an antichrist figure. That's why it's important for these guys to be understood as characters.

There is a literal virgin birth in the film, for the record.

The film is not about immigration, because the right people have already been 'let in'. See, for example, Mako being adopted. See her blue hair and monstrous outbursts due to kaiju-trauma she carries inside her, and how she quickly becomes a pariah (see also the imagery of charlie day being singled out by the group in the bomb shelter because of his connection with the kaiju). In the text of the film, 'kaiju groupies' are a phenomenon that characters are under pressure to deny being.

In the world of District 9 you could swap a prawn for a destitute beggar from Calcutta and it would absolutely work. You cannot - you absolutely cannot - do this with a kaiju. Nowhere in the text of Pacific Rim are kaiju treated like a person, they are treated like a threat to be neutralized and destroyed. They are shown doing literally nothing but smashing and killing.

This is an accurate observation, and you're not wrong. The difference is that I don't accept this credulously.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 18, 2013

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

This is explicitly made clear when he sends Newt the scientist into a public shelter rather than (for instance) holding him prisoner as Kaiju bait or killing him

Except Newt makes the remark that sending him to a public shelter was essentially sending him to be killed because of how useless of a protection it is. "This isn't a shelter, it's a buffet line!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Please elaborate on this?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Slums are also known to be highly susceptible to natural disasters, and spring up in the wake of them as well. Hannibal's operation is more like salvage than anything else, going out to be the first to strip away as much as possible of the wrecked (jaeger-like) vessel. Kaiju are machines, created things, and the imagery is of industrial tools, hazmat suits with air pumped into them like an antique diving apparatus, scofflaws packing booty away in crates. Hannibal Chau even has one eye - a pirate combing a shipwreck.

What's more, the first thing we see a jaeger doing is walking into a storm. These things were built to oppose natural disasters.

The newborn kaiju emerges from the womb walking and biting. It's an animal birth, a bestial thing of nature, not a helpless innocent that needs to be protected from nature.

Your first point I covered in my previous post. The film advocates a form of friendship that's exclusionary. Everyone collaborates to form an organic community, but it's based around keeping the 'unproductive' people out. As in WWZ, there is the imagery of stupid ineffective walls - but the message in both films is (satirically?) that a wall isn't enough; we need to do more to protect our Family against the unfamiliar, crushing them under our boot-heels.

Excluding an outsider and repelling an invader are different moral categories; many outsiders are portrayed as invaders, but in the case of a genuine invasion, it is not their otherness that the community needs protection from, as you'll see:

The kaiju are presented as inferior in the sense that they are 'just animals' and not deserving of ethical consideration. They are also obviously presented as extremely disruptive to the organic makeup of the nation. It's the same contradiction in antisemitism, where the jews are both all-powerful and ratlike. (And see the pejorative term 'kaiju' groupie' leveled at Charlie Day and the implicit fear of 'race-mixing'.)

By "race-mixing" do you refer to Newt's drifting with the kaiju brain, which proves necessary for victory? Drifting is portrayed as the ultimate intimacy, that only works between minds that have something in common. The kaiju can't be defeated unless they're empathized with, afforded the dignity of a bond as close as that between brothers.

The kaiju have a "hive mind," a culture that far exceeds the humans' in terms of the collaboration that the film portrays as the ultimate good. Nothing about them is treated with scorn or disgust - if anything they're better than humans for not making GBS threads where they eat, environmentally speaking. Only their aggression matters.

By 'the regime' I'm talking about the militia (not military) group that Stacker wrests control of from the decadent know-nothing/traitorous bureaucrats. See also: Leonidas in 300, Koobus in District 9.... That's the sort of figure Stacker is. That the PPCD is not really concerned about class is precisely what's wrong with them.

Granted. But the total absence of uniforms and uniformity is still more important than you think.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 18, 2013

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

AKA What's actually depicted in this film goes against my analysis. In summary suck it nerds, Micheal Bay rocks.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

NoneSuch posted:

Not to hand wave your criticism but pretty much this.

Hey in fairness, I thought the movie's art direction was uninspired too! From a purely visual/esthetic standpoint it failed to interest me and I thought it was funny Mike from Half in the Bag noticed this too and put it better than I could. The fights use a lot of flat medium shots that, considering what's transpiring onscreen, just look boring. Leaving aside my subjective dislike for the film's upbeat tone, its worst crime is that its battles are just haymaker-thrust slug matches dominated by weird lighting (seriously when Mako's pod emerges from the ocean into plain daylight with regular lighting I was surprised by what a relief I found it to be).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

if anything they're better than humans for not making GBS threads where they eat, environmentally speaking. Only their aggression matters.

If the real evil isn't the kaiju as a race but rather their hostility - implying that we'd get along perfectly fine with the kaiju if their masters weren't manipulating them into attacking us - then why isn't the solution to the film's conflict what SMG described earlier, where the scientists communicate with the kaiju and the Jaegers work with them to free them from their hostile masters? Can you imagine how much more rad that'd be on both a visceral and metaphorical level? The movie absolutely does not treat kaiju as "well they're nice and all, but they're killing the gently caress out of us so we've gotta fight back." Newt is openly ostracized for wanting to even understand how kaiju work. The movie purports the kaiju's existence as a problem.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Please elaborate on this?

The monsters are all female, vat-grown clones. they have no sexual difference and so can't get pregnant - but this one somehow did. It's kaiju jesus!

They jab a probe in his head.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

King Ghidorah is introduced as an opponent of Mothra, the Christian moth who promotes the universal love of Jesus. Being multi-headed and covered in gold, he is easily interpreted as an antichrist figure. That's why it's important for these guys to be understood as characters.

The film is not about immigration, because the right people have already been 'let in'. See, for example, Mako being adopted. See her blue hair and monstrous outbursts due to kaiju-trauma she carries inside her, and how she quickly becomes a pariah (see also the imagery of charlie day being singled out by the group in the bomb shelter because of his connection with the kaiju). In the text of the film, 'kaiju groupies' are a phenomenon that characters are under pressure to deny being.

This is an accurate observation, and you're not wrong. The difference is that I don't accept this credulously.

I think you are grossly misremembering the plot to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Ghidorah was an alien equivalent to Godzilla who destroyed their planet and chased the Venus princess to Earth. He was presented as a danger to what could happen if you don't work together and misuse things like nukes. Also there was no birth in Ghidorah. Ghidorah wasn't really anyone's foe and certainly not Mothra. It's character is basically identical to Godzilla in being an analog to nuclear weapons only unlike Godzilla he destroyed his planet instead of being contained and ask to fight for peace.

Mothra isn't really a Jesus figure and has always been a motherly figure. She wants people to live in peace with the Earth and the creatures there in. It's why she always is the one to stop Godzilla's fights and get him to help people. She certainly doesn't promote universal love and has often attacked humanity for disrupting the balance of Earth. She's a Gaea figure, the mother earth.

Also on the topic of Pacific Rim I figured the Kaiju were closer to the alien's Jaegers. Giant mass produced machines designed for one task that use the linking of information to achive that goal. They are the kind of opposite to the human Jaegers designed to destroy instead of protect. I half expected that scene to have an alien pop out like he was controlling it.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 18, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

If the real evil isn't the kaiju as a race but rather their hostility - implying that we'd get along perfectly fine with the kaiju if their masters weren't manipulating them into attacking us - then why isn't the solution to the film's conflict what SMG described earlier, where the scientists communicate with the kaiju and the Jaegers work with them to free them from their hostile masters? Can you imagine how much more rad that'd be on both a visceral and metaphorical level? The movie absolutely does not treat kaiju as "well they're nice and all, but they're killing the gently caress out of us so we've gotta fight back." Newt is openly ostracized for wanting to even understand how kaiju work. The movie purports the kaiju's existence as a problem.

The kaiju that attack the cities are of the same mind as the ones who built them, literally. As far as we can tell, invasion was a unanimous decision. If the kaiju are anything more than mere materiel, then they're willing participants in the invasion. They're not "nice," they're not being manipulated - but the threat they represent is physical, not social. They're after lives, not jobs.

Newt's opinion is vindicated in the end.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

randombattle posted:

I think you are grossly misremembering the plot to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Ghidorah was an alien equivalent to Godzilla who destroyed their planet and chased the Venus princess to Earth. He was presented as a danger to what could happen if you don't work together and misuse things like nukes. Also there was no birth in Ghidorah. Ghidorah wasn't really anyone's foe and certainly not Mothra. It's character is basically identical to Godzilla in being an analog to nuclear weapons only unlike Godzilla he destroyed his planet instead of being contained and ask to fight for peace.

In Ghidorah The Three-headed Monster, Mothra's self-sacrifice inspires Godzilla and Rodan to team up with her against Ghidorah. Ghidorah is eventually revealed to be an ally of the Xians, a group of colonizing rapists (they are literally defeated by a high-tech rape whistle).

Godzilla and Rodan must be mind-controlled into serving the Xians, but Ghidorah serves them freely. When freed from their magnetic waves, Godzilla and Rodan continue in Mothra's footsteps and kick rear end.

There is a very big difference between Godzilla and Ghidorah, in other words.

Also, I apologize for unclear phrasing. The virgin birth occurs in Pacific Rim.

Edit: Mothra is a figure of radical imbalance. She will destroy an entire city, like a hurricane(!!!), in order to defend the weakest members of an exploited group.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 18, 2013

• Locked thread