Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sean10mm posted:

The movie shows actual humans in that role - they make them work for food stamps on the levees Kaiju wall in unsafe working conditions in unsafe working conditions and relegate them substandard housing Kaiju shelters.

This is not accidental; these are the characters who lack the class-consciousness to say "we are the monsters; we are the storm!" and rise against Stacker, the aliens, and the 1% who've moved inland. But they are at the edge of starvation, and get all their news from CNN.

Newt has the the potential to pass down the revelation from Baby Kaiju Jesus, but uses the knowledge to betray the cause, giving it to Stacker instead.

However, there is some hope: the film is cleverly edited so that the anti-wall riots are interpreted as pro-jaeger, but that's highly debatable. It's unclear if the jaegers actually have popular support.

randombattle posted:

Yeah it's a direct sequel cause you find out that Ghidorah is a weapon that aliens control to destroy planets. He's totally a nuclear analog like Godzilla. I may be blending vs. Gigan or DAM when I remember Ghidorah wrecking poo poo but he was being controlled all the time as he's basically a Pacific Rim style Kaiju, a big bioweapon that is controlled.

Ghidorah doesnt just destroy planets, but helps colonize/rule them. Invasion of Astro-Monster makes it clear that Godzilla and Rodan are scapegoats; the real threat is capitalism, represented by Ghidorah as a literally golden idol.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is not accidental; these are the characters who lack the class-consciousness to say "we are the monsters; we are the storm!" and rise against Stacker, the aliens, and the 1% who've moved inland. But they are at the edge of starvation, and get all their news from CNN.

Actually, Mako does this. Mako was orphaned in Tokyo. Stacker refuses to let her pilot a jaeger, but eventually (enabled by Raleigh, who too was working on the wall in exchange for food stamps) she stands up to him, and becomes a ranger (remember that rangers consider themselves lucky to be able to get bread). Jaegers are kaiju and Gypsy Danger is more of a kaiju than most, and Mako's driving it. In the third act, Stacker clearly identifies Gypsy with Mako; she has become the monster and the storm, just as you say. And she and Raleigh together end up being the ones who collapse the rift, destroying the only thing that gave any legitimacy to Stacker's title of Marshal. All the jaegers are destroyed by this time, and in the absence of kaiju, none more will be built.

(Until the sequel, where the kaiju have built jaegers, and Herc is the Marshal, or something.)

However, there is some hope: the film is cleverly edited so that the anti-wall riots are interpreted as pro-jaeger, but that's highly debatable. It's unclear if the jaegers actually have popular support.

The jaegers certainly were popular when Yancy was alive, and there was that cheering crowd in Hong Kong.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 19, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Kramjacks posted:

Pentacost and Hanson work as a team to the end, but Raleigh just sends Mako away saying, "I can do this by myself, I don't need any help" and heroically completes the mission on his own.

This has been brought up before: Raleigh ejects Mako because she's unconscious (even if he needed her help, he wouldn't have it) and "All I have to do is fall." He didn't realize that the computer would malfunction and the manual override would be needed. He thought it would be as simple as going through the rift and blowing up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

Actually, Mako does this. Mako was orphaned in Tokyo. Stacker refuses to let her pilot a jaeger, but eventually (enabled by Raleigh, who too was working on the wall in exchange for food stamps) she stands up to him, and becomes a ranger. Jaegers are kaiju and Gypsy Danger is more of a kaiju than most, and Mako's driving it. In the third act, Stacker clearly identifies Gypsy with Mako; she has become the monster and the storm, just as you say. And she and Raleigh together end up being the ones who collapse the rift, destroying the only thing that gave any legitimacy to Stacker's title of Marshal. All the jaegers are destroyed by this time, and in the absence of kaiju, none more will be built.

The jaegers certainly were popular when Yancy was alive, and there was that cheering crowd in Hong Kong.

That does little to counter the observation that this harmony is based on exclusion (of the kaiju).

While Mako is beaten down and then stengthened by friendship-love, it's not translated into an authentically 'love they neighbour' universal love. Her victory does little to really upset the system. They're not going to disarm now that the threat is gone. They're going to find a new target. Perhaps the rioters?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How exactly are they named? Is there a queue of names they designate? Does Tendo Choi just get to pull some name out of his rear end?

"Kaiju detected!!! Codename...uhh...uhhh...Diarrheafeet!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if it's a list, like tropical storms.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wonder if it's a list, like tropical storms.

I'm more surprised that the codenames are very apt and seem to be assigned almost immediately after they're detected leaving the breach. Maybe they've got a video feed of the breach and use that to come up with nicknames.

:v: This guy's got a head like Frankenstein's monster, let's name him Karloff, after that famous actor!
:) Okay!

Edit:

That does little to counter the observation that this harmony is based on exclusion (of the kaiju).

While Mako is beaten down and then stengthened by friendship-love, it's not translated into an authentically 'love they neighbour' universal love. Her victory does little to really upset the system. They're not going to disarm now that the threat is gone. They're going to find a new target. Perhaps the rioters?

I maintain that Jaegers are only good at fighting other giant things. :colbert: Also I find the idea of them using the Jaegers on the anti-wall rioters disgustingly cynical.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 19, 2013

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You've got to name the action figures something!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All the jaegers in the world were destroyed, and the PPDC was defunded months prior to build the wall, and no kaiju means no parts whose salvage rights can be sold to Hannibal. They can't build any more unless the world governments, who previously decided to stop building jaegers, change their minds. Effectively, they did disarm.

If the world governments decide they need a new way to oppress the poor now that the kaiju are gone, they could go ahead and resume building their own monsters - but this would be a distinct change in their characterization. Bad filmmaking. They're greedy and short-sighted; they'd skimp on the reconstruction like they once skimped on effective protection.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can I just say how awesome the soundtrack is? That opening theme, all day, in head, listening at home gets me so pumped.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Also it's kinda weird that people think "people uniting to defeat a common, outside foe" is a solely fascist thing when communists and liberal democracies have done the same. Anything the slightly bit martial isn't automatically "fascist".

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Panfilo posted:

How exactly are they named? Is there a queue of names they designate? Does Tendo Choi just get to pull some name out of his rear end?

"Kaiju detected!!! Codename...uhh...uhhh...Diarrheafeet!"

I assumed Newt does it, and each time he comes up with a particular apt one he sticks his hand up for a high five, and Gottlieb just stares blankly at his palm.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

Also it's kinda weird that people think "people uniting to defeat a common, outside foe" is a solely fascist thing when communists and liberal democracies have done the same. Anything the slightly bit martial isn't automatically "fascist".

Where are you getting 'automatically' from?

You! I'm calling you out. Provide your ethico-political reading of the film-text or step aside.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To everyone who got in on that Amazon/Heroclix deal, the item is now listed as "Currently unavailable," and on my end at least, has not shipped. I expect to see them cancelling the orders tonight or tomorrow.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
A friend of mine sent me this awesome ILM work pin from Paciic Rim. I love the ILM symbol mixed in there.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

Where are you getting 'automatically' from?

You! I'm calling you out. Provide your ethico-political reading of the film-text or step aside.

This has been your entire basis for your argument. I don't know how on Earth (or kaiju dimension) you can call me out.

The Third Positionism argument is faulty too because in such a system there is still one nation at the lead and also ignoring the fact that by the end it's a small group and not a mass action.

Fuck This Puzzle fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 19, 2013

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I wouldn't want a prequel series because what made this movie exciting for me was how much the jaegers were the underdogs. They fought incredibly powerful kaiju and barely stayed alive. At every point I was thinking "it's over, the kaiju won." There wouldn't be any drama in a prequel series about the golden age of jaegers tearing down kaiju like they were nothing.

Is it a coincidence that after Newt drifts with a Kaiju, the next two Kaiju that come out are modeled after a newt and a bulldog?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

jscolon2.0 posted:

I assumed Newt does it, and each time he comes up with a particular apt one he sticks his hand up for a high five, and Gottlieb just stares blankly at his palm.

I did too, but the funny thing was that Tendo Choi designated Leatherback and Otachi as soon as they appeared. Now, some of them, I can imagine came from a pre-made list (Otachi, Onibaba, Trespasser, Scunner, Slattern, etc). But the descriptive ones, I imagine they had to have seen them. And I don't know if they saw Knifehead before they fought it- they just knew it was a Category III and it was on its way to Anchorage.

It would be fun to be the one to name the Kaiju. Only a matter of time before :smug: Anusface :smug: makes its rounds.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

This has been brought up before: Raleigh ejects Mako because she's unconscious (even if he needed her help, he wouldn't have it) and "All I have to do is fall." He didn't realize that the computer would malfunction and the manual override would be needed. He thought it would be as simple as going through the rift and blowing up.

Yeah thats a little different then I remember but still in the end he doesn't need any help, no teamwork is needed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pope Mobile posted:

Oh, Predator 2. The really, really bad one.

Are you crazy? That movie was great!

Granted I was ten when I watched it.

Kannen
Apr 24, 2007

make this page more CAW CAW!!

935 posted:

I wouldn't want a prequel series because what made this movie exciting for me was how much the jaegers were the underdogs. They fought incredibly powerful kaiju and barely stayed alive. At every point I was thinking "it's over, the kaiju won." There wouldn't be any drama in a prequel series about the golden age of jaegers tearing down kaiju like they were nothing.

Is it a coincidence that after Newt drifts with a Kaiju, the next two Kaiju that come out are modeled after a newt and a bulldog?

*gasp!* Did the Bulldog also succumb to hubris and drift with the Kaiju brain?!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

To everyone who got in on that Amazon/Heroclix deal, the item is now listed as "Currently unavailable," and on my end at least, has not shipped. I expect to see them cancelling the orders tonight or tomorrow.

Maybe, we'll see.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Lotish posted:

Are you crazy? That movie was great!

Granted I was ten when I watched it.

No your right, Predator 2 is pretty good.

Kannen
Apr 24, 2007

make this page more CAW CAW!!
Man, I would hope not, I'm looking forward to my pile of robot figurines for three dollars.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

This has been your entire basis for your argument. I don't know how on Earth (or kaiju dimension) you can call me out.

The Third Positionism argument is faulty too because in such a system there is still one nation at the lead and also ignoring the fact that by the end it's a small group and not a mass action.
I've advocated for 'uniting against common enemies'. Clearly I do not consider it inherently fascist to do so. I've gone over the fascist aspects of the film in detail already. This concerns the specific choice of enemy and the specific type of unity. Read again.

America is the obvious lead nation, and mass action is the ideal. This is why we see the crowds of people all working on the body of the robot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

America is the obvious lead nation, and mass action is the ideal. This is why we see the crowds of people all working on the body of the robot.

Exactly one character in the entire group (aside from maybe Newt?) is American. There's not a lot of emphasis on the idea of America being the lead.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

America is the obvious lead nation

Gipsy Danger is the only American Jaeger we even see. And Raleigh, Newt, and Hannibal Chow are the only (presumed) Americans in the film in general. The other Jaegers are Australian, Chinese, Russian, and Japanese, and Pentecost himself is supposed to be British.

America is not the lead nation by any stretch.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

I guess you consider a pit crew mass action and the first part is blatantly untrue.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Xealot posted:

Gipsy Danger is the only American Jaeger we even see. And Raleigh, Newt, and Hannibal Chow are the only (presumed) Americans in the film in general. The other Jaegers are Australian, Chinese, Russian, and Japanese, and Pentecost himself is supposed to be British.

Honestly that was something I liked about the movie, even being American myself. The American Jaeger had its own team, its own gimmick, its own appeal. If all the Jaegers were American, they'd be less unique.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xealot posted:

You're talking about the individuals' country of origin, and not the nation they represent. (They all live in Hong Kong, but we don't call them Chinese either.)

The nations are represented not by geographical location but by the jaegers themselves. Recall the propaganda film from Children of Men, which lists the all nations that have fallen: "The World has collapsed. Only Britain soldiers on." We see the same with the Jaegers picked off one by one, until America prevails.

It's not accidental that the various members of the PPDC are all part of the Global North, high GDP, or etc.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It's not accidental that the various members of the PPDC are all part of the Global North, high GDP, or etc.

I'm pretty sure not every nation bordering the Pacific can afford to field its own Jaeger, nor do they need to. I imagine the coverage for the field of operations of the Shatterdomes is sufficient that you don't need to place one in every single country.

edit: Also I don't think one nation wouldn't scram their Jaegers if they detected a Kaiju heading towards one of their neighbors.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Slate Action posted:

Mines "shipping now". Hope thats good news.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Panfilo posted:

Honestly that was something I liked about the movie, even being American myself. The American Jaeger had its own team, its own gimmick, its own appeal. If all the Jaegers were American, they'd be less unique.

I liked it on a whole Street Fighter level. Where the robots and their pilots are hilariously reductive stereotypes about their nation of origin. Crimson Typhoon is a giant red kung-fu robot representing the PRC. Cherno Alpha is a clunky assemblage of tanks and factory machines in gunmetal grey, accompanied by a Russian choir. Gipsy Danger itself had a whole cool retro aspect, there the name painted on the hull is like a 40's fighter plane, and the Becket brothers wore shearling leather aviator jackets.

It's 90's-style multiculturalism, where ethnic and national labels are worn prominently on your sleeve.

You're talking about the individuals' country of origin, and not the nation they represent. (They all live in Hong Kong, but we don't call them Chinese either.)

This isn't a relevant point. I'm talking about both.

The only character who is from and actually represents the US is Raleigh Becket. Pentecost is decidedly multinational (of British origin, serving in Japan, Hong Kong, and the US at different times in his career), Mako is Japanese and only "represents" the US in that she eventually pilots Gipsy Danger, and every other Jaeger and pilot are clearly from and aligned with some specific non-American nation.

There are themes of American exceptionalism because Gipsy Danger is the best fighting robot, but Mako's entire story is about conquering her fear and avenging her Japanese family. There isn't anything saliently "American" about it...in fact, based on all genre convention it references, it's a pretty Japanese narrative.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 19, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Mines "shipping now". Hope thats good news.

Mines been there since this morning when I placed the order.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've advocated for 'uniting against common enemies'. Clearly I do not consider it inherently fascist to do so. I've gone over the fascist aspects of the film in detail already. This concerns the specific choice of enemy and the specific type of unity. Read again.

With regard to the type of unity, you said this:

a strong authoritarian leader who stages a militia uprising that exalts youth, virilty, masculinity (etc.) as traits that will give them the courage to pragmatically 'do what needs to be done' to regenerate the ailing nation (or nations in this case).

You've got a strong authoritarian leader who is frequently wrong, succumbs to insubordination, asks specifically for obedience rather than loyalty or belief, and abdicates his position before the end.

For youth, younger brother Raleigh and rookie Mako are the heroes, but Chuck, the character specifically defined by his youth, has to get humility literally beaten into him, and his heroic moment happens when he's finally accepted as his father's equal.

Virility and masculinity I'll give you. But you don't have one word about how the most important relationship a ranger has is with their co-pilot, not with their commander or community. This is an even more anti-nationalistic idea than the international composition of the team.

But regarding what type of enemy they're united against - you seem to be saying the kaiju are fought because they're the other. You can tell they're the other because... they're alive and the protagonists fight them? At any rate, there's only one type of common enemy that's not the other, and that's the kind that's nobody at all, an unpersonified force of nature, which is by far the strongest reading of the kaiju.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

Peru?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

935 posted:

They were modeled after Cherno Alpha (gigantic brute with electric/nuclear generator) and Crimson Typhoon (acrobat with third, rear-mounted, grasping/crushing appendage) for a sick-rear end mirror match.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

The nations are represented not by geographical location but by the jaegers themselves. Recall the propaganda film from Children of Men, which lists the all nations that have fallen: "The World has collapsed. Only Britain soldiers on." We see the same with the Jaegers picked off one by one, until America prevails.

Because they can afford to build skyscraper tall fighting robots? That is pretty much going to be G20 territory. The Jaeger from Bangladesh would represent a vast percentage of their GDP (particularly in the near-lovely future with global climate shittyness), and if you tried to put it on film, it would be a hell of a tightrope to talk to make it at all representative to the world moviegoing audience as Bangladesh-ish without being grossly culturally ignorant and stereotyping. What would you even do?

I don't mind that the only countries that can field space programs, stealth fighter programs, and blue water navies are in the giant fighting robot business.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Piell posted:

If the sword is a phallus then what does it mean that Strike Eureka has labia-shaped knives?

Also, chestbreast missiles.

Level Slide posted:

Has Tiffany "Asuka Langley Sohryu" Grant done any live-action stuff? She should be a pilot in the sequel. Figured she'd be all over that, considering she is literally an anime.

She was in Arlington Road as one of Jeff Bridges' students. I'm not sure if she's got any lines though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

SMG's point about the represented nations in the film all being wealthy is definitely true. But I'd actually have preferred a version of this story that addressed systemic economic imbalances and the accompanying perceptions of the Third World. Because if wealthy developed nations like the US, Japan, and China are decimated by decay and resource drain, imagine what Bangkok or Lima must look like.

A story about a poor nation building a Jaeger, and the international condescension from wealthier nations at the attempt, would've been pretty awesome. Apparently there are tons of them in the encyclopedia of world-building poo poo GDT and Travis Beacham put together.

• Locked thread