Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

LargeHardonCollider posted:

Just got back into the Jeep world after I sold my 88 Cherokee to help pay for grad school. Here's my '04 TJ I just picked up with 72k miles and it's in beautiful shape.

Awesome, now screw on a bottle opener to the bumper and throw some tinfoil wrapped burritos into the engine bay and you're set for lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Real Q: Where can you buy a bottle opener to screw onto a Jeep bumper? No luck at Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond. For some reason I'm resisting buying one online.

Also I guess I'm in the middle of an engine swap or something, maybe I'll post pics in a bit.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Anyone have any info on the 3.8 and oil consumption. My brother called me lastnight and said his 07 JK with 30k miles had an oil change 2800 miles ago and lastnight was showing nothing on the dipstick. Theres no way this is "normal" consumption.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

User Error posted:

Real Q: Where can you buy a bottle opener to screw onto a Jeep bumper? No luck at Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond. For some reason I'm resisting buying one online.

Also I guess I'm in the middle of an engine swap or something, maybe I'll post pics in a bit.

Liquor store? Restaurant supply?

What are the options for easy replacements for an NV3550 transmission? I'm about to do the clutch again to replace a lovely throwout bearing, but I'm worried that the synchros are on their way out anyway, after nearly 170,000 miles (100,000 of those are abuse by the previous owner's wife, who wanted to learn on it). AX15? What is the six-speed from later TJs?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
6 speed is the NSG370, you can get them, they are expensive. Make sure you get one from a 4.0, oh and you're in for a complicated swap because the CPS mount is different and in a different spot on the NSG370 so the electronics involved in the swap are not for the faint of heart.

That being said, buy an nv3550 out of a 3.9L dodge dakota, late 90s to early 00s, pull the bellhousing off and put yours on. Tailhousing bolt pattern is the same, output shaft is the same, input shaft is the same, the only possible difference is that the bolt pattern may be clocked a little differently. I can check the parts catalog to compare clocking angle later if you care, but you can probably deal with it either way without too much pain, if any.

Why a Dakota donor? Because Dakotas with a 3.9/5 speed are incredibly common, as opposed to 00-01 XJs and late TJs with an NV3550, which are not. And Dakota parts are cheap, while wrangler parts are OMG EXPENSIVE if you ask we-pull yards, even though... they're the same goddamn parts in many cases.

You can recognize which trucks have 3550s instead of AX15s by checking the shift towers under the floor seal/boot. Yours will look different from AX15 ones and the same as NV3550 ones.

NV3550 shifter:

AX15 shifter:

Any reason you can't rebuild it? Rebuild kits are pretty cheap on ebay and it's not the most complex tranny out there. You could probably do it, including all tools, for under 600 bucks if I had to hazard a guess.

Side note - wow, NV4500 rebuild kits are cheap as hell too, only about 200 for a full kit with all synchros. Guess I don't have to worry so much about the one I'm going to be installing in my blue MJ at some point, then.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 14, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

6 speed is the NSG370, you can get them, they are expensive. Make sure you get one from a 4.0, oh and you're in for a complicated swap because the CPS mount is different and in a different spot on the NSG370 so the electronics involved in the swap are not for the faint of heart.

That being said, buy an nv3550 out of a 3.9L dodge dakota, late 90s to early 00s, pull the bellhousing off and put yours on. Tailhousing bolt pattern is the same, output shaft is the same, input shaft is the same, the only possible difference is that the bolt pattern may be clocked a little differently. I can check the parts catalog to compare clocking angle later if you care, but you can probably deal with it either way without too much pain, if any.

Why a Dakota donor? Because Dakotas with a 3.9/5 speed are incredibly common, as opposed to 00-01 XJs and late TJs with an NV3550, which are not. And Dakota parts are cheap, while wrangler parts are OMG EXPENSIVE if you ask we-pull yards, even though... they're the same goddamn parts in many cases.

You can recognize which trucks have 3550s instead of AX15s by checking the shift towers under the floor seal/boot. Yours will look different from AX15 ones and the same as NV3550 ones.

NV3550 shifter:

AX15 shifter:

Any reason you can't rebuild it? Rebuild kits are pretty cheap on ebay and it's not the most complex tranny out there. You could probably do it, including all tools, for under 600 bucks if I had to hazard a guess.

Side note - wow, NV4500 rebuild kits are cheap as hell too, only about 200 for a full kit with all synchros. Guess I don't have to worry so much about the one I'm going to be installing in my blue MJ at some point, then.

I have never rebuilt a transmission before and definitely don't have the tools to do it (I'm assuming some kind of press + the kit to properly use it etc.), and I've also heard that rebuild kits on ebay are chinese garbage and/or no genuine parts for them are left due to New Venture going out of business. This is for my only vehicle too, so I can't just have it apart in my garage for a week; well, I telecommute so I could probably get away with it, but having to bum rides to get tools or more parts in the middle of the job would blow.

Edit: Even if I bought one of the cheaper rebuild kits with synchros, the cost of tools to do the job would likely make it economically infeasible compared to just buying a replacement.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 14, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Can a manual pedal assembly be swapped into a WJ?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Maybe if they made them manual for export vehicles but I don't know for sure.

Also, you are going to have a lot of fun with getting the ECU to stop freaking out about the fact that it doesn't have a 42RE/44RE/45RFE/545RFE auto trans to play with anymore. Good luck with that.

Have a gander through the parts catalog for (example) the 00 WJ and see if you can find any mention of manual transmissions and related parts: http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD3/97-01/00WJ.pdf

e: I don't even see a chapter for the clutch. I think you're SOL on that.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 14, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

User Error posted:

This is the one I screwed onto mine. It's probably worth blasting with a coat of paint, I've got rust seeping out around the screws after about a month. The bumper flexes a little when its used, but not much.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So prior to my trip to Gettysburg for the 4th, I was getting my WJ sorted when I realized that my license plate lights were out. I bought replacement bulbs for the center brake and passenger side at rhe same time.

When I took off the housings to replace them, I noticed they were empty. Oookay?

I went ahead and put the new bulbs in, passed inspection and went on my honeymoon.

On the way there, we hit a good thunderstorm, so I turned the lights on. Every once in a while, we'd notice a funny smell, which I attributed to the new muffler, makes sense, right?

Second day in Gettysburg, we park right in front of our room and I leave the lights on to get unloaded with some light. Its then that I notice that only one is working.

poo poo.

I raise the liftgate and see a brownish/blackish blob on the one working. Its melting the housing.

Next morning, I take them off and see that both housings are melted, bulbs covered with plastic and the connectors are runny.

Never again will I assume that the computer or the employee at Advance will pull the right bulb. :bang:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I recently put new wheels on my TJ. The backspacing is about a half inch different so I was worried that they would now be hitting my fender flares. It looks just about perfect! I already have lower bump stops to put on, they should keep the wheel down another half inch or maybe a full inch, which should be enough for good measure.

These were taken yesterday on the Lawrence Welk trail in Escondido, CA. It's an awesome trail that's only about an hour from my house. That's close for San Diego :(

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 15, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

New decal for the Cherokee. I thought it appropriate, particularly with the four-banger.

'Course, now I'm thinking about installing a rear-defroster glass, so I'll have to replace the stickers I've put on there so far...

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Darchangel posted:

New decal for the Cherokee. I thought it appropriate, particularly with the four-banger.

'Course, now I'm thinking about installing a rear-defroster glass, so I'll have to replace the stickers I've put on there so far...

That sticker owns.

I am bad at taking pictures, but I got the 4.0 mounted in the Comanche and got pretty much everything hooked up Sunday. The last thing to connect before firing it up was the wire from the starter relay to the solenoid. The stud on the solenoid was gone. I guess I busted it off while lowering the motor into the MJ. Yesterday I was busy watching Sharknado so today I got a new solenoid, hooked everything up, and turned the key. Crank crank crank crank crank pop POP POP *flames* *FLAMES* OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK

I pondered the situation as flames leaped from between the firewall and the engine about 2 or 3 feet into the air. Luckily I'm a slob and had a 5 gallon bucket of 50/50 antifreeze nearby which I dumped onto the engine. That wasn't quite enough so I had to grab a beer from the fridge and pour it on the last of the fire. The postmortem revealed a busted O-ring in the pressure side fuel rail disconnect, a couple melted vacuum lines, and a few wires with toasted insulation.

I went to the parts store to get some 5/16ths fuel line, a couple disconnects, and some hose clamps. I replaced the faulty fuel line and the vacuum line to the MAP sensor, made sure the garden hose was nearby, crossed my fingers, and turned the key. It started right up and idled like nothing was wrong. Built AMC tough.

I've been meaning to get a fire extinguisher for the garage.

User Error fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 17, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

At least you've christened the new engine :v:

Glad you put it out better than that Miata 350 swap guy, that would have sucked. My condolences on the loss of your beer.

A few more of my favorite stickers:
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/atj30939.html
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/atj30169.html

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Trial by fire..........check

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

on 16 gallons of gas in a loaded down Cherokee through the Appalachian Mountains(70E->79S->68E->70E)

Kind of sad that 23MPG is absurdly good.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Veins McGee posted:

on 16 gallons of gas in a loaded down Cherokee through the Appalachian Mountains(70E->79S->68E->70E)

Kind of sad that 23MPG is absurdly good.

I got that on my wrangler once driving front wheel drive on 31s with 3.55s. :ohdear:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

No poo poo on the Cash for Clunkers sticker. Going to the local wrecking yard in the midst of that just made me ANGRY. Better cars than anything I was currently driving then, and possibly now, all over the place.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've seen mention of watching Jeep forums to buy a jeep ... which ones in particular are good? Any other good sources for jeeps? I'm looking for a two or four door XJ, probably '96+? (various googles show that power was bumped in that year, but I'm not really sure). Definitely 4.0L, 4x4, auto preferable. Budget is about $5k.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Krakkles posted:

I've seen mention of watching Jeep forums to buy a jeep ... which ones in particular are good? Any other good sources for jeeps? I'm looking for a two or four door XJ, probably '96+? (various googles show that power was bumped in that year, but I'm not really sure). Definitely 4.0L, 4x4, auto preferable. Budget is about $5k.

Craigslist would be a good bet.

XJ's are pretty drat cheap, theres several for sale near me, and all very reasonably priced. Sturdy little SUV's but kinda piggish on gas. There are a few years you need to watch out for the 99's to 01 have issues with the head castings and are identified on the cylinder head by 0331, but 96-98 are safe bets.

If you want to take it off road, there are a million and a half mods, and are retardedly easy to install with basic tools.

You really can't go wrong!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thanks! That helps. Are there any particular models that indicate the car isn't 4x4? I've noticed a lot of people won't mention it in their ads, so anything I can do to narrow down which ones I respond to makes it easier on me.

Basically: Is the Sport model 4x2 only?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
No, its just a trim package.

In the later models it went pretty simple, Base, Sport, and Limited. There are of course exceptions to the rule, but the higher the trim the better equipment. But don't expect luxury like the Grand Cherokee, it just means the difference between power windows and crank types.

Edit: vvv Thanks, I couldn't remember what the exact year was. I just know there was a few with issues.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 18, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sport generally is 4x4. If you get a frontal shot from the CL listing, just look for the differential hanging down on the driver side in the picture, that means it's at least partially 4x4. Make sure the transfer case and front driveshaft are there, a friend of mine got scammed on one that'd had a front axle put in, and a transfer case shifter, but no transfer case or front driveshaft...

NAXJA is a good spot to look for XJs/MJs for sale as well.

99 doesn't have the 0331 head issue, except maybe some very very late 99s, and I've never seen one with it. Just people claiming it might. So I'd bet against that, but check them for the casting number anyways just in case.

99 is the best OBD2 new body style year, 95 is the best OBD1 old body style year.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
The big thing on XJs is floorboard and rocker rust. Its cheap to repair depending on how you want to do it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm hoping being from Southern California, that *might* not be too much of an issue, but I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the info, guys! Hopefully I'll be an owner in short order :)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My headlights won't turn on today. 2002 wrangler. The high beams still work, and my running lights and fogs come on. I tried replacing one headlight to make sure it wasn't the bulb, no luck. The fuses all look okay under the hood, but I'm not exactly sure which one is supposed to handle the headlights.

I understand there are a lot of problems with headlight switches on wranglers, but I replaced that maybe 6 months ago because the fogs were sticking on.

Any ideas?

E: I'm pretty sure it's the headlight switch, even though it's only about 6 months old. I found a trick on jeepforum.com that kinda worked. Rev the engine a bit, hold the high beams on and flick the headlights on/off on/off a bunch until they turn on. I guess that warms up the switch or something. Problem is, mine come on for a minute this way and turn off a minute later.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 18, 2013

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for XJs lately and they are crazy cheap. You can find great examples for way under 5k now. Let me know if you want a tire kicking buddy. I owe you for helping with my Bricklin.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for XJs lately and they are crazy cheap. You can find great examples for way under 5k now. Let me know if you want a tire kicking buddy. I owe you for helping with my Bricklin.
i love that idea. Plus we need to work on the bricklin again! I got the mustang back together - your suggestion on website helped a lot.

Oh, and I wanted to add:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

kinda piggish on gas.
Current car gets 10mpg. Not an issue :)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 19, 2013

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I saw a white JK AEV double cab brute as I was leaving the gym today. I was half tempted to go chase it down in my white JK, those things are :krad:

Getting my tires re-balanced and an alignment this weekend, hopefully itll stop the front end wobble at 40mph. It's infuriating me, as I would actually like to drive my Jeep on the freeway for once.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Cross-posting from the questions thread and continuing my above question:

Astonishing Wang posted:

My headlights stopped turning off and on the other day, and it wasnt a bulb or fuse problem. I tracked it down to the multifunction switch, which is the left lever behind the steering wheel. It controls headlights, turn signal, fogs, etc.

I replaced this part 8 months ago so it seemed too early for it to go out, but luckily it came with a lifetime warranty. Replacing it fixed the headlight issue, but now my turn signals and hazards dont work. I looked at the fuses behind the glovebox and they look fine, but I noticed the 'MF SW' fuse was blown in the under-hood fuse box/PDC. It's a 20A fuse. I pulled the fuse and replaced it, and it blew right as I pushed it in. I didn't disconnect the battery before swapping the fuses because I didn't think there was any reason to.

When I pulled off the multifunction switch to replace it, I noticed there was what looked like melted plastic in one part. There is also a slight crack in the wiring connector housing that comes in at that same area. Also, the flasher relay was super hard to get back into place on the multifunction switch, but I think it went in ok.

Here are potential problems and fixes that I see:
1. disconnect battery before replacing fuse?
2. need a new flasher relay? Would a malfunctioning relay cause a fuse to blow?
3. The connecter needs to be replaced (god I hope it's not this)

Any other ideas? I can get some photos at lunch of the connector if it might help.

Kastein do you know of any vehicles that might have the same pigtail connector as the tj? I have mopar part #05183442AA as being a repair kit, but if I can find a good harness in a junk yard that would be nice.

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
To join in on the XJ chat, I'm going to look at a 98 2 door sport tomorrow, but I think the guy might want too much for it. It is stock, with a 4.0 and a manual, 207,000 miles. It does have brand new tires (Yokohama geolander ATS), and the dude apparently took meticulous care of it. It is in super nice shape, but he's asking $5250. I'm mainly buying it so I don't have to drive my E30 during the winter, but I'm also going to go camping in it and do a bit of off roading.

I really want a manual, but should I just wait for a different example to show up? I don't really care about the 2 door or 4 door part of it.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

TheCobraEffect posted:

To join in on the XJ chat, I'm going to look at a 98 2 door sport tomorrow, but I think the guy might want too much for it. It is stock, with a 4.0 and a manual, 207,000 miles. It does have brand new tires (Yokohama geolander ATS), and the dude apparently took meticulous care of it. It is in super nice shape, but he's asking $5250. I'm mainly buying it so I don't have to drive my E30 during the winter, but I'm also going to go camping in it and do a bit of off roading.

I really want a manual, but should I just wait for a different example to show up? I don't really care about the 2 door or 4 door part of it.

I paid $5K for a meticulously cared for '99 with half that amount of miles. From a dealership. Even then I overpaid, I would pass on that one.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I think I semi killed my xj yesterday sitting in Buffett traffic for a few hours. Ill post more when I get out of work.

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.

owls or something posted:

I paid $5K for a meticulously cared for '99 with half that amount of miles. From a dealership. Even then I overpaid, I would pass on that one.

What would a fair price be? I think I might be able to talk to guy down to 4500 or so. I have been watching Craigslist for a month and I've only seen rusted out junkers other than this one. It really is mint. But it has also been on the market for three weeks, so maybe the price is too high. He said he sold it already, but the dude couldn't come up with the cash.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

You know how a riding mower sounds when you put the choke on full then adjust the throttle so it idles like poppoppoppoppop and puffs black smoke? Well that's how my jeep sounded at one point yesterday. It eventually unfucked itself and behaved.

E: fuel system vapor lock? It was hot as hell out to begin with and sitting in traffic made my jeep a bit warmer than I would have liked.

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 20, 2013

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

TheCobraEffect posted:

What would a fair price be? I think I might be able to talk to guy down to 4500 or so. I have been watching Craigslist for a month and I've only seen rusted out junkers other than this one. It really is mint. But it has also been on the market for three weeks, so maybe the price is too high. He said he sold it already, but the dude couldn't come up with the cash.

Even here in Colorado that Jeep isn't worth $4500. I would say $3000, and that is in a market that loves XJs. I got my 99 with 103k and all the service records for $5300 in a private sale and I did pretty average for around here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have no idea on that pigtail, unfortunately. See if the XJ uses the same part number for the switch it plugs into, maybe? Or the ZJ/WJ?

TheCobraEffect, 2 door late models are rare, manual late models are rare. Good condition XJs are getting difficult to find, though still not rare.

I don't know what your local market looks like for XJ prices though.

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.

kastein posted:

TheCobraEffect, 2 door late models are rare, manual late models are rare. Good condition XJs are getting difficult to find, though still not rare.

I don't know what your local market looks like for XJ prices though.

I'm in the northeast, CT/MA/RI are where I've been looking and right now most of the XJs on the market are pretty beat. There are some lower mileage examples, but they have been beaten or seriously modified. I don't really care if it has a minor lift, but I don't want to buy some dudes rock crawler. This one has high miles, but the guy says he drove it 100 miles each way to work on the highway. and he has a journal of all the maintenance he has done. Brand new tires are also pretty sweet.

I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and see how well it has been maintained. It might be worth the extra dough, since these low mile, cheap and well maintained XJs don't seem to exist around here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ahhh, I'm right up in the corner of those 3 states basically.

Make sure there is no floor rust or rocker rust. Floor rust will concentrate behind the rear wheel wells and along the floors mostly between the frame rail and the rocker panel, as well as a bit up into the rear of the front wheel wells. Rocker rust will usually start as bubbling and softness under the rear of the door(s) right in front of the rear wheel well. If you see bubbling and there aren't any stone chips to explain it, you are looking at a future rocker replacement project. Otherwise you probably are anyways, but at least it'll be a few years before it happens and you have a chance of forestalling it by clearing out the rocker pinch seam drains religiously.

I agree on not buying someone else's beaten rig unless you know exactly what to look for, a lot of problems can be hidden to the untrained eye. I beat the poo poo out of my jeeps (mostly because they're all $500-1000 crapcans), but I know I'm probably the last owner before they go to the junkyard in pieces, so I'm not really screwing anyone except myself by doing that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

I need to get a new jack for my XJ now that it has a 3" lift and 31's on it. What does everyone else buy?