Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Thanks, glad to know I didn't just imagine it. Guess I'll check out Lightflow.

Two other things I've been trying to mess with little success, is there an easy way to replace the battery icon with one with a percentage in it? I tried OG Battery Mod, but it keeps failing. Also trying to replace the shutdown menu with something that lets me reboot directly to recovery but haven't found anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pilkington posted:

Thanks, glad to know I didn't just imagine it. Guess I'll check out Lightflow.

Two other things I've been trying to mess with little success, is there an easy way to replace the battery icon with one with a percentage in it? I tried OG Battery Mod, but it keeps failing. Also trying to replace the shutdown menu with something that lets me reboot directly to recovery but haven't found anything.
Dumb question but if you want this stuff why not just stick with CM? It's not like it runs badly on the Galaxy Nexus* at all.

*GSM Galaxy Nexus but I assume it's just as good on the VZW version.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
Been using CM for a while now but it randomly reboots enough to annoy me even after I've tried flashing new stable versions or nightlies. So I decided to go back to stock and just add the things I liked from CM. Right now I'm getting better performance on stock 4.2.2 then I was on CM but honestly that could be just from the reset.

If there's something that could fix some of the annoyances I was having, I'd probably go back to CM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pilkington posted:

Been using CM for a while now but it randomly reboots enough to annoy me even after I've tried flashing new stable versions or nightlies. So I decided to go back to stock and just add the things I liked from CM. Right now I'm getting better performance on stock 4.2.2 then I was on CM but honestly that could be just from the reset.

If there's something that could fix some of the annoyances I was having, I'd probably go back to CM.
I wish I could help you but I've had absolutely zero problems on CM10.1 going all the way back to about a month after the 4.2 merge on my GSM Galaxy Nexus.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah cm 10.1 on my Verizon gnex has been pretty solid lately.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I just found out (thanks to the kind goons in the Verizon Wireless Megathread) that the RAZR MAXX HD recently had its bootloader unlocked. I was excited, figuring now I can install a nice AOSP build onto this thing, and I only ended up getting confused.

The XDA forums are a complicated mess. In fact, I can't even find a forum for the RAZR MAXX HD. When you go to their forum listings, there is only a listing for the RAZR HD.

While I am not exactly pining for the days of flashing new roms every night, I did want to get rid of this MotoBlur garbage. My phone is already rooted, and even so, I was never able to get USB mass storage mode working (my car's weird USB port will only work with mass storage devices so it would be a nice thing to have).

Anyway, where do I go for a simple place to just tell me what the best ROM for this phone is and be done with it? I don't have the time to experiment, I just want plain Android, and I don't even so much as see anything in the way of anyone ever releasing a ROM for this phone. What gives? Am I looking in the wrong spots? It has been a long time. Or is the fact that the bootloader has been unlocked not that big of a deal and I shouldn't care?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Does anyone know the fix for the messaging app crashing when trying to send an MMS? I Googled around and checked the CM forums and found a bunch of people with mms issues but their fixes (renaming telephony.db, changing the APN settings but I don't know which one to use - it's currently set on LTE Verizon Internet VZWINTERNET) didn't work for me. It's obviously a common issue but I'm not finding a fix for me.

I'm running CM10.1.2 on a Razr Maxx

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 19, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Milky_Sauce posted:

I was never able to get USB mass storage mode working
Mass storage mode is pretty much incompatible with modern Android devices anyways. The exception is that if the device has a SD card slot, a custom ROM may enable mass-storage support for the SD card only.

Milky_Sauce posted:

What gives? ... Or is the fact that the bootloader has been unlocked not that big of a deal and I shouldn't care?
The bootloader unlock is a big deal, however its effectiveness is limited if the device is not particularly popular among device hackers. There's also the issue where Motorola could patch the unlock on a subsequent update. Although they're unlikely to "relock" an already unlocked device, it's something to watch out for.

The fundamental problem is that many folks have abandoned Motorola as their devices are carrier exclusives on a carrier (Verizon) that demands locked devices. It's much easier to work on devices like the S3 or S4 which are available on every carrier, and so, have a much larger hacking community.

There is an unofficial CyanogenMod 10.1 for the Razr HD that, I believe, is largely a one-man effort these days. It's possible it might work on the Maxx HD if the hardware is identical (aside from the obviously larger battery), but I don't know if the hardware is, and I wouldn't try the CM 10.1 port unless it's confirmed that it works.

Even here, the Razr HD has the benefit of being available in a unlocked version (no subsidy) that the few folks who have remained with the platform have been using. As such an unlocked version of the Maxx HD isn't officially available, and weren't unofficially available until very recently, it's not a specific target.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Does anyone know the fix for the messaging app crashing when trying to send an MMS?
Are you using an ad blocker? AdBlock Pro was (is?) blocking MMS proxies.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
No Ad Blocker. I couldn't find one that didn't look skeevy on the Play Store (which ones are good?)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
None that are on the Play Store. AdAway is solid though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah cm 10.1 on my Verizon gnex has been pretty solid lately.

Yo, seconding this. For the past few months my Verizon Gnex was having lovely battery life, performance issues, etc. The past week or so has been awesome, however.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Milky_Sauce posted:

I did want to get rid of this MotoBlur garbage

Install a new launcher, that'll take care of 99% of it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Does anyone know the fix for the messaging app crashing when trying to send an MMS? I Googled around and checked the CM forums and found a bunch of people with mms issues but their fixes (renaming telephony.db, changing the APN settings but I don't know which one to use - it's currently set on LTE Verizon Internet VZWINTERNET) didn't work for me. It's obviously a common issue but I'm not finding a fix for me.

I'm running CM10.1.2 on a Razr Maxx

I just went through this on my Nexus 4 because I was a meathead and used:
code:
adb pull /sdcard/data/data/com.android.prviders.telephony/ ./msgbackup/
adb push ./msgbackup/ /sdcard/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/

To backup my messages. Full disclosure because it was only because I only had access to recovery and couldn't do a proper backup.

Anyway doing an XML backup for SMS & MMS in titanium, then nuking everything inside of com.android.providers.telephony then restoring from XML fixed it for me!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking at getting the stable release of CM10.1 for my Nexus 4. I just have a couple of questions, the closest thing to this I've done is Jailbreaking which is literally plug in and press a button.

1: How likely am I to brick my phone, I can't afford to replace it
2: What happens if I need to send it in for warranty
3: The OP hasn't been updated since 2010, how reliable is the information there?
4: Is there an easy way to back up and restore all my data, according to the instructions I'll lose everything
5: Is updating to a new CM the same as updating stock where it auto downloads and installs or will I need to go through the whole process every time. Also, how hard is it to go back to stock and not lose data

E: Even rooting is so bleugh, I can't get it to recognise my device. I did find a backup thing too.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 20, 2013

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

SeaborneClink posted:

I just went through this on my Nexus 4 because I was a meathead and used:
code:
adb pull /sdcard/data/data/com.android.prviders.telephony/ ./msgbackup/
adb push ./msgbackup/ /sdcard/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/

To backup my messages. Full disclosure because it was only because I only had access to recovery and couldn't do a proper backup.

Anyway doing an XML backup for SMS & MMS in titanium, then nuking everything inside of com.android.providers.telephony then restoring from XML fixed it for me!

Thanks for the answer but I'll be damned if I have any fuckin' clue what you just said

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Milky_Sauce posted:

The XDA forums are a complicated mess. In fact, I can't even find a forum for the RAZR MAXX HD. When you go to their forum listings, there is only a listing for the RAZR HD.
That's because they're the same phone, the MAXX just has a bigger battery.

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

I have to say revealing the developer options on the Nexus 4 by tapping the build number 7 times was cute. Gives it a real easter egg type feeling.

e- they even have animations while unlocking! Nice little touches compared to when I rooted my Nexus S

Wrenever fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 20, 2013

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Milky_Sauce posted:

The XDA forums are a complicated mess.
Sounds like a new thread title.

Milky_Sauce posted:

When you go to their forum listings, there is only a listing for the RAZR HD.
It looks like both are covered under the same sub-forum.

Deadlysherpa posted:

I have to say revealing the developer options on the Nexus 4 by tapping the build number 7 times was cute. Gives it a real easter egg type feeling.
Nothing will ever beat the method for enabling developer mode on the Palm Pre.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
AOKP seems a bit better than cyanogenmod. More customizable and the stability seems about the same.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW

Pilkington posted:

This is the same problem i was having before switching to AOKP. My phone world restart primarily when i tried to take a video on snapchat or take a picture with instagram.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'm looking at getting the stable release of CM10.1 for my Nexus 4. I just have a couple of questions, the closest thing to this I've done is Jailbreaking which is literally plug in and press a button.

1: How likely am I to brick my phone, I can't afford to replace it
2: What happens if I need to send it in for warranty
3: The OP hasn't been updated since 2010, how reliable is the information there?
4: Is there an easy way to back up and restore all my data, according to the instructions I'll lose everything
5: Is updating to a new CM the same as updating stock where it auto downloads and installs or will I need to go through the whole process every time. Also, how hard is it to go back to stock and not lose data

E: Even rooting is so bleugh, I can't get it to recognise my device. I did find a backup thing too.
1. You can't brick your phone.
2. You'll need to restore the stock image which is trivial.
3. Not reliable at all if you mean for a how-to.
4. You can use adb backup or an app that utilizes it to do so but you must wipe your device to unlock the bootloader, no way around this. For the most part there won't be a lot of app data to preserve but it depends what you want to save.
5. There is an automated process for updating CM and going back to stock will require you to erase all your data and restore it using a backup program (assuming you run stock rooted).
E: Sounds like you're using Windows. Use the Universal ADB Driver.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nmfree posted:

Nothing will ever beat the method for enabling developer mode on the Palm Pre.

What was that? It's been ...over three years since I had mine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hooah posted:

What was that? It's been ...over three years since I had mine.

Konami code IIRC.

edit: yup.

http://www.webosnation.com/konami-code-enables-developer-mode-really

Type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" and the developer mode enable toggle shows up.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 20, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Milky_Sauce posted:

Anyway, where do I go for a simple place to just tell me what the best ROM for this phone is and be done with it? I don't have the time to experiment, I just want plain Android, and I don't even so much as see anything in the way of anyone ever releasing a ROM for this phone. What gives? Am I looking in the wrong spots? It has been a long time. Or is the fact that the bootloader has been unlocked not that big of a deal and I shouldn't care?
I didn't actually bother with any custom firmware stuff for mine - the phone's close enough to stock that Titanium Backup will take care of any useless stuff other than some random icons. With Apex or Nova Launcher you can freeze the Homescreen/Circles/Quickview apps to cover the rest of the Motorola stuff, although I wouldn't advise freezing the other Motorola Services since it can result in bad things. Anything related to VZW backup apps is fine to freeze though.

This is what I've frozen on mine to no ill effects after ~a month of use (the file #'s are different from current as this was prior to the update):
http://pastebin.com/MtJMA45f

You probably don't want to copy the list outright as apps like the file manager (I use root explorer), SmartActions, carmode/vehicle mode, and desk dock may be useful to you, and you should not disable the homescreen or quickview unless you have a custom launcher installed and in-use. Freezing the email app may remove push emails, but I stick to gmail and don't need realtime email updates on my phone so I froze it. You may want to leave emergency alerts in place, although I use a widget that already offers the feature so I didn't see a need to have both of them running.

Beyond that, Widgetlocker will let you change up the lockscreen and Autostarts will allow you to clear out run triggers for other apps you may use infrequently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I have a kernel automatically re-flash after a CM update?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Got it myself, you have to let go of Power and keep holding Vol Up + Home after splash screen.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 23, 2013

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So I havent' updated CM 10.1 on my VGnex in a long time (literally months). I just noticed I don't have the superuser app and one app even bitched that root was required.

Should I just install the newest 10.1?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Mass storage mode is pretty much incompatible with modern Android devices anyways. The exception is that if the device has a SD card slot, a custom ROM may enable mass-storage support for the SD card only.

The bootloader unlock is a big deal, however its effectiveness is limited if the device is not particularly popular among device hackers. There's also the issue where Motorola could patch the unlock on a subsequent update. Although they're unlikely to "relock" an already unlocked device, it's something to watch out for.

The fundamental problem is that many folks have abandoned Motorola as their devices are carrier exclusives on a carrier (Verizon) that demands locked devices. It's much easier to work on devices like the S3 or S4 which are available on every carrier, and so, have a much larger hacking community.

There is an unofficial CyanogenMod 10.1 for the Razr HD that, I believe, is largely a one-man effort these days. It's possible it might work on the Maxx HD if the hardware is identical (aside from the obviously larger battery), but I don't know if the hardware is, and I wouldn't try the CM 10.1 port unless it's confirmed that it works.

Even here, the Razr HD has the benefit of being available in a unlocked version (no subsidy) that the few folks who have remained with the platform have been using. As such an unlocked version of the Maxx HD isn't officially available, and weren't unofficially available until very recently, it's not a specific target.

datajosh posted:

That's because they're the same phone, the MAXX just has a bigger battery.

Thank you! I had no idea the phones were 100% identical. I would have thought there was at least a resolution or processor speed difference. That cleared it up big time.

I am going to give up on looking for custom ROMs on the phone. Shame the Bootlocker got unlocked only for no one to really care. :\

LCD Deathpanel posted:

I didn't actually bother with any custom firmware stuff for mine - the phone's close enough to stock that Titanium Backup will take care of any useless stuff other than some random icons. With Apex or Nova Launcher you can freeze the Homescreen/Circles/Quickview apps to cover the rest of the Motorola stuff, although I wouldn't advise freezing the other Motorola Services since it can result in bad things. Anything related to VZW backup apps is fine to freeze though.

This is what I've frozen on mine to no ill effects after ~a month of use (the file #'s are different from current as this was prior to the update):
http://pastebin.com/MtJMA45f

You probably don't want to copy the list outright as apps like the file manager (I use root explorer), SmartActions, carmode/vehicle mode, and desk dock may be useful to you, and you should not disable the homescreen or quickview unless you have a custom launcher installed and in-use. Freezing the email app may remove push emails, but I stick to gmail and don't need realtime email updates on my phone so I froze it. You may want to leave emergency alerts in place, although I use a widget that already offers the feature so I didn't see a need to have both of them running.

Beyond that, Widgetlocker will let you change up the lockscreen and Autostarts will allow you to clear out run triggers for other apps you may use infrequently.

Thank you for this. But I do want to update my phone to the newest update. Is there any way to do that without it removing the Bootloader loophole? Meaning, can I update somehow, and still be able to unlock the Bootloader in the future if the need arises?

And does this mean that huge list you gave me, every single one of those needs to be "reinstalled" before I am allowed to update?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Milky_Sauce posted:

Thank you for this. But I do want to update my phone to the newest update. Is there any way to do that without it removing the Bootloader loophole? Meaning, can I update somehow, and still be able to unlock the Bootloader in the future if the need arises?
Probably not. If you want an unlocked bootloader it's best to do it now before the update, since the update patches out the bootloader exploit. It'll be a long time before another exploit comes up to unlock it (if ever).

quote:

And does this mean that huge list you gave me, every single one of those needs to be "reinstalled" before I am allowed to update?
Anything that you freeze would need to be restored before you can do an OTA update. If you're planning to add in a custom ROM you may not need to bother though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheReverend posted:

So I havent' updated CM 10.1 on my VGnex in a long time (literally months). I just noticed I don't have the superuser app and one app even bitched that root was required.

Should I just install the newest 10.1?
There isn't a Superuser app anymore, it's integrated into the ROM. But yeah, you should update to at least the stable CM10.1.2.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I just bought a Nexus 7 and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent ROM. I've used Cyanogen on my phone for a few years, but since this is a tablet, I'm not sure if there is a certain ROM that is generally preferred or more efficient.

Here are a few I'm considering:

[ROM] [June 17][4.2.2][SmoothROM v5.2]Smoothest ROM-Deodex-Zipalign-Tablet UI-Stable

[ROM][7/20] PARANOIDANDROID 3.68 | HALO time

[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1.X [OFFICIAL] [STABLE]

Anyone have any experience with any of these on a Nexus 7 specifically? I'm not a fan of the bare bones android that comes stock on this thing, and there's so many drat ROMs nowadays I'm not sure what's decent and what's total crap.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update: SmoothROM is really impressive thus far. Even the installer is touch based and clean looking. The Franco kernel seems to be pretty favored and has overall the best performance/battery life.

Update 2: It seems as though they have removed the overclocking functionality from version 5.2 of SmoothROM. Other than that, I really like it and highly recommend it if anyone is in the market for a new, extremely customizable ROM on their N7.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 23, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Try them all and see what you like best.

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005

hooah posted:

How can I have a kernel automatically re-flash after a CM update?

Cyan Delta has an option to automatically flash a zip after each update.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm kind of new to trying to root android stuff, does anyone have a guide for rooting a first gen Kindle Fire? Everything I've found has failed to work. Last tried using this but the KFU could never detect my kindle.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My battery suddenly started misbehaving:

Is this a case of :arghfist: LG, or something else? As evidenced by my last couple of posts in this thread, I recently switched to Franco's Kernel (the latest stable version), and my Nexus 4 currently has the CM10.1 nightly from the 19th.

Also, re: MightyShadow, CyanDelta suddenly decided it can't detect the network anymore. Anyone have any idea why?

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 23, 2013

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Well what does Android say is causing the battery issues? If it's not very indicative, check out BetterBatteryStats off the market. Well worth the price for that app.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
BetterBatteryStats is also free on XDA, so please weigh that option.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm more concerned about how it stopped charging at about 75%, even while plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I'm more concerned about how it stopped charging at about 75%, even while plugged in.
It looks like the screen came on so maybe something was just using too much battery for it to gain charge (e.g. navigation).