Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Usually the updated version is more like an expansion and you still need the original game. At least, that's how it was for 3, 4, and 5. I never got 6 because I heard awful things and I got 7 on the 360 so no expansion for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, it's 2013 and Tecmo Koei genuinely still believes in separate add-on disc expansions. Xtreme Legends aren't very good from my experience either.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Don't they always release an upgraded version of these games in a few months? I want to order this, but I'm happy to wait for a better version.

You are better off riding the fresh release wave with the rest of us.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

That's kind of what I expected and if the answer had been different, it might be too late.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I have the 360 version and while there's slowdown at points, it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game.

Is the slowdown in that video just it to the extreme? If the slowdown is like the slowdown in DW 3/4/5 then I don't really care about it that much.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.
I had the 360 version for about an hour and could not stand it. Even when installed to the hard disk, massive slowdown occurred any time there was some sort of elemental effect on the screen. Maybe my hardware has some deeper issues that the rest of the 360 owners in this thread don't have?

I suppose it's possible that I ran head-first into the worst combination of things that caused the slowdown... (Shu story, mission 1, Yellow Turban Rebellion -> Cave with fire and ice effects EVERYWHERE.) When it took like, a full 45 seconds to perform Zhang Fei's EX combo ONCE, I knew that I wasn't going to enjoy the rest of game like that. Especially later on when my weapon would undoubtedly be covered in and dispensing out elemental effects.

If you have the option to play on PS3, definitely go that route.

All that aside, I'm really enjoying this game. The new weapons are fun, weapon switching is useful and the new auto-horse mounting button is THE SINGLE GREATEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO THIS SERIES.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Beanzor posted:

All that aside, I'm really enjoying this game. The new weapons are fun, weapon switching is useful and the new auto-horse mounting button is THE SINGLE GREATEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO THIS SERIES.

That was my exact thought once I realized how it worked. Red Dead Redemption needed this something powerful.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

That was my exact thought once I realized how it worked. Red Dead Redemption needed this something powerful.
Every game with horses fucks up the horses somehow. RDR is probably the best but yeah, any horse interaction when you're not actually on the horse must be PRECISE, or else both Marston and the horse will just stand there looking like idiots while you are being shot or whatever. DW8 completely solves that problem in a one fell swoop.

Ladders are still like that in DW8 though.

edit: speaking of which, have you ever noticed that in action games, your blatantly superhuman character who can run 60mph, take bullets like a motherfucker and jump 20 feet in the air, still has to climb and get on/off ladders like a normal, rather slow human? The only exceptions I can think of are the Assassin's Creed series, and Half-Life 2 where you shoot up and down ladders like greased lightning.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 19, 2013

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
It's there a requirement to get the 2 and 3 star awesome weapons ? I have a few now randomly in my inventory and they all rule. I'm talking about ones with gold stars instead of white orbs denoting levels.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Dynasty Warriors should do ladders like God Hand: Have a marker where you can just jump straight up and appear at the top of the ladder. Doesn't break the action and the opening FMV is mounting an upside down horse during an explosion so I think it thematically fits.

Also holy poo poo quick mounting horses is the best thing ever. Horses have made decent progress from what they were way back in DW3.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Dynasty Warriors should do ladders like God Hand. Have a marker where you can just jump straight up and appear at the top of the ladder. Doesn't break the action and the opening FMV is mounting an upside down horse during an explosion so I think it thematically fits.

Now I want a Dynasty Warriors-themed game in the style of God Hand. gently caress.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMs-WNN4-VA

Get ready. Sengoku Basara 4 is coming.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Really wish I had noticed the install option in the options screen. The loading of some events were killing me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: speaking of which, have you ever noticed that in action games, your blatantly superhuman character who can run 60mph, take bullets like a motherfucker and jump 20 feet in the air, still has to climb and get on/off ladders like a normal, rather slow human? The only exceptions I can think of are the Assassin's Creed series, and Half-Life 2 where you shoot up and down ladders like greased lightning.

I love ANY game that gives me, 'press button to slide down ladders'.

I got used to the horse mounting mechanics in RDR. I particularly liked parking the horse on top of animal corpses to get out of the skinning animation. It'd drive me nuts however when on occasion you'd get on your horse and the fucker would spontaneously die. Especially if you were on a live-capture bounty.

Policenaut posted:

I watched this trailer a couple hours ago and the best thing about it was my son watching it, and when the big 'BASARA 4' logo pops on at the beginning, he says, 'oh I know this game! It's the one with that guy that really, really, really hates Ieyasu right?'

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?

Policenaut posted:

So do we think there is any chance of Capcom pulling a Koei and releasing something on the English PSN for this game? Like no voice acting etc but translated text. I love the one that came out in NA but not really enough to import one when I have Dynasty/Samurai/Etc Warriors as alternatives for much cheaper than importing.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Man, gently caress the optional objective in Wei's Battle of Xu Province. I can't remember the last time I actually broke a controller. gently caress you, Tao Qian! :argh:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Does doing the What If objectives through story stage select affect anything, or do you need to go through the story again? Because I cleared the the mission to save Sun Ce, but I missed the pot the first time and got it on stage select, but I don't know what it means by affecting the Battle of Hefei and I don't think it happened.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The GIG posted:

Does doing the What If objectives through story stage select affect anything, or do you need to go through the story again? Because I cleared the the mission to save Sun Ce, but I missed the pot the first time and got it on stage select, but I don't know what it means by affecting the Battle of Hefei and I don't think it happened.

You can do everything through stage select.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I just spent 40 minutes as Han Dang in the battle of Yiling... trying to get an engineer to the fire attack point. I think I broke his ai as he was calling out the "come save me from officer!" text, by killing the officer DURING the announcement. So he spent the entire rest of the time (I was at 20 minutes left on the time limit when I quit) slowly running all over the map chasing enemy units, which refused to stop spawning... at all.

And that was my second attempt at the map. First ended with Lu Xux stuck between two trees on the last objective but unable to move at all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Kaidyn posted:

So do we think there is any chance of Capcom pulling a Koei and releasing something on the English PSN for this game? Like no voice acting etc but translated text. I love the one that came out in NA but not really enough to import one when I have Dynasty/Samurai/Etc Warriors as alternatives for much cheaper than importing.

Capcom USA has said there is zero chance of another Basara game ever coming to the West.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So I've managed to get some noticeable slowdown when I rage attack into like a million guys. I can only imagine what it would be like on the 360 :shepface:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

On PS3 I managed to get some pretty intense slowdown, I think it was at Chi Bi on the ships in the middle of like three enemy officers, a handful of friendlies, and a ton of mooks.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
I've been slogging through Ambition Mode with Xiahou Yuan and there hasn't been a lot of slowdown, but holy gently caress has there been a lot of phasing in with mooks.

Spamming his EX attack basically results in a horde of mooks dying, and a new mob appearing right on top of them. Rinse and repeat like 5 times.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Perdido posted:

I've been slogging through Ambition Mode with Xiahou Yuan and there hasn't been a lot of slowdown, but holy gently caress has there been a lot of phasing in with mooks.

Spamming his EX attack basically results in a horde of mooks dying, and a new mob appearing right on top of them. Rinse and repeat like 5 times.

Schrödinger's mooks. Trapped in a perpetual state of existing or not, until you observe them dying.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Admittedly, in caves and corridors and edges of maps, this being my first Dynasty Warriors game in HD on an LED-powered television actually running at the full 60 FPS makes me :3:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Perdido posted:

Sounds like Warriors Orochi 3. It was a good game, but goddamn were the invisible troops annoying. Especially when it made tagged officers disappear from my True Triple Attacks.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Maleketh posted:

Sounds like Warriors Orochi 3. It was a good game, but goddamn were the invisible troops annoying. Especially when it made tagged officers disappear from my True Triple Attacks.

Yeah, at least in this game officers and unit leaders have priority so they'll pretty much always be visible.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I like catching invisible troops with the Lightning Sword's C4 so I don't have to worry about seeing them. I've already grabbed them all!

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Two questions about DW8.

Can you not get allies in Ambition mode online if you're playing as the second player? And also, what does adding supervisors to a structure do anyway?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Blarfo posted:

Two questions about DW8.

Can you not get allies in Ambition mode online if you're playing as the second player? And also, what does adding supervisors to a structure do anyway?

I think somewhere in the game or manual it says you do not gain allies if playing online. Putting supervisors to a structure lets you talk to them. It does jack poo poo.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
What's the best way to grind Materials in Ambition Mode? I've typically been sending troops off to search the first Province from the Barracks, hitting up the Stables every 3 fights, but I'm sure there's something I'm missing, hahah.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The most graphical slowdown I've been seeing has been in "fire" settings. Chi Bi being the worst.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Calax posted:

The most graphical slowdown I've been seeing has been in "fire" settings. Chi Bi being the worst.

Doing a rage attack in a huge group of guys in Chi Bi is the best way to set your console on fire.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

This is the best DW game I've played in a long while.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I have to agree, I'm glad I waited a few years to see how far the series came since DW5.

Has anyone been subverting the affinity triangle on Hard mode with more difficult targets? On Normal I've found even more of a use for the Lightning Sword against disadvantage opponent officers. Its Switch attack (non-counter) is a crumple stun that Normal mode AI doesn't see coming because they usually just eat the hit thinking the super armor they have at advantage will save them. The crumple animation allows super-spamming of Velocity-boosted Throwing Knives that all go through because they never cause flinch on hit. Switch back to Lightning Sword and repeat.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Perdido posted:

What's the best way to grind Materials in Ambition Mode? I've typically been sending troops off to search the first Province from the Barracks, hitting up the Stables every 3 fights, but I'm sure there's something I'm missing, hahah.

I wonder this too. Materials are by far the grindiest part of Ambition Mode... fame and allies were relatively easy, but I probably have a couple hundred materials left before I get to 100%, and I don't even want to know how many until I max out everything.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Hrm. Got my Combo King trophy (1000 hit combo) four times over at Fan Castle as Guan Suo. To be fair, he (and his nunchucks) are still OP as hell.

That said, I'm not sure what I need to do but apparently I got a hypothetical Wu ending, and a "historical" Wei ending. It's looking like my Shu is edging towards Historical, but I wish I could find a flowchart or something to sort this out.

Edit: As I post that, I find one. God I hope I don't have to re-do the entire campaign to get the "alternate" runs.

Calax fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 21, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Picked this up today after not having played Dynasty Warriors since like PS2 days. This is a lot of fun.

Wu Kingdom for life bitch.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

I wonder this too. Materials are by far the grindiest part of Ambition Mode... fame and allies were relatively easy, but I probably have a couple hundred materials left before I get to 100%, and I don't even want to know how many until I max out everything.

The merchant can convert weapon materials at a 1:2 ratio, which helps.

And it seems as though the max rank for buildings is 50.

You can still send troops to search provinces that are 100% in the Barracks, too. I keep sending them to the first province, which is good for 6-12 materials.

One thing I will say about Ambition Mode is that it sucks once you have the bulk of your allies. I'm sick of beating Unit Commanders #1-12 to death instead of named guys.

Also, to unlock Red Hare, you have to win 90 consecutive battles in Ambition Mode. Or do 30 consecutive battles 3x, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Calax posted:

That said, I'm not sure what I need to do but apparently I got a hypothetical Wu ending, and a "historical" Wei ending. It's looking like my Shu is edging towards Historical, but I wish I could find a flowchart or something to sort this out.

By default, you get the historical ending for a story by playing it normally. Once you get that, you can see the special conditions that appear on stages in that story. There will be at least a few that affect a particular battle in some ambiguous way; once you have them all, you can play either the historical version of that battle or the hypothetical one, which lead to different sets of stages and endings. Luckily for you, all you have to do is replay the stage in question and fulfill the condition to earn the star associated with it. Redoing the whole story is unnecessary.