Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Interestingly, this is the subtext of Iron Man 3, with the AI suit.

The jaeger pilots (along with, arguably, the Glados computer system) are the brains of their robot body. The kaiju already have brains of their own.

The pilots should turn off their radios and rebel against Stacker's plan to deploy the nuke, working with Newton to free and befriend the kaiju.

You keep saying "should" as if you're the sole arbiter and gatekeeper in storytelling. Are you seriously so vain that you can't analyze what's presented to you, but rather have to spend all your time crafting this mental SMG-approved re-script, re-shoot, re-premise of a flim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

jivjov posted:

I had the same thought. If it was so easy to confuse this is Transformers, why didn't the movie make gangbusters?

I think there actually was a backlash against Transformers that landed square on Battleship. Being on the forums does kind of create a tunnel-vision about popular opinion, but still, I think Transformers became a safe target for "Boy, isn't that stupid!" and then Battleship, being adapted from a narrativeless board game, was seen as an even safer target to make fun of.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
^^^^ Also true- I didn't see that movie for months because it looked like that same kind of big, dumb tiring spectacle movie, but when I finally did see it, it was actually rather enjoyable.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

People seemed to scoff at it like "Oh, so it's Transformers?" despite the fact that they'd probably see a Die Hard rip-off without thinking twice about it.

I don't get it either, and this is the first actual interesting discussion in pages.

Yeah, I definitely knew some people that thought it was some kind of cheap knockoff of Transformers and didn't want to go near it for that reason. On the other hand, I don't know what kind of trailer material that was in the movie could have shown otherwise while still sticking to what marketing would want from a trailer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Does Jihad posted:

People seemed to scoff at it like "Oh, so it's Transformers?" despite the fact that they'd probably see a Die Hard rip-off without thinking twice about it.

I don't get it either, and this is the first actual interesting discussion in pages.

I knew from all the prerelease stuff that this was going to be like Transformers only in the fact that there were large metal bipeds in it. I seem to recall an over large amount of the Transformers marketing was centered around Megan Fox' boobs, midriff, or rear end, with some pretty dire "jokes" sprinkled in.

Pacific Rim's marketing seemed to focus a lot more on the Kaiju (in general, you never got a whole lot of good looks at any one in particular) and the concept of the drift (or at least the motion-capture rig in the jaegar's cockpit).

They seem so wildly different in their marketing approaches, but I did hear a lot of "oh pacific rim...that's that one that's like Transformers in the ocean, right?"

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Interestingly, this is the subtext of Iron Man 3, with the AI suit.

The jaeger pilots (along with, arguably, the Glados computer system) are the brains of their robot body. The kaiju already have brains of their own.

The pilots should turn off their radios and rebel against Stacker's plan to deploy the nuke, working with Newton to free and befriend the kaiju.

Explain to me how they'd go about doing this.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember reading somewhere that Del Toro intentionally made the kaiju to lack redeeming features because he was annoyed with the trend in recent monster movies to humanize the monster (like the King Kong remake?). His motive behind this apparently was that the kaiju are merely weapons, and have no possible correlation to the real world.

quote:

What I think is you could do nothing but echo the moment you're in. There is a global anxiety about how fragile the status quo is and the safety of citizens, but in my mind—honestly—this film is in another realm. There is no correlation to the real world. There is no fear of a copycat Kaiju attack because a Kaiju saw it on the news and said, I'm going to destroy Seattle. In my case, I'm picking up a tradition. One that started right after World War II and was a coping mechanism, in a way, for Japan to heal the wounds of that war. And it's integral for a Kaiju to rampage in the city.

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 21, 2013

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

You can't befriend remote controlled machines. I'm afraid you've tried conversing with RC cars around your neighborhood about the death of the author.

Vermain posted:

If we actually desire an egalitarian society (and I should hope that people do!), I think it is absolutely necessary for us to critically analyze the constant, relatively unconscious thought patterns ("this horrible problem can only be solved through the killing of individuals") that pervade media, and see if we cannot find different ways of looking at or reframing issues to create a better, more egalitarian mainstream ideology.

First, SMG is doing what the guy is claiming he is. Two, these aren't individuals. It's one thing when Liam Neeson kills a dude who was party to his daughter's kidnapping and we dismiss it as "well he's a bad person" even though he's still a human being and we have a justice system -but it's another when this movie shows us giant beasts that are organic war machines that are a direct parallel to the metal constructs we use. As I said in an earlier post, it's like worrying about the feelings of a tank.

edit: haha he literally does it two posts down

Fuck This Puzzle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 21, 2013

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

You keep saying "should" as if you're the sole arbiter and gatekeeper in storytelling. Are you seriously so vain that you can't analyze what's presented to you, but rather have to spend all your time crafting this mental SMG-approved re-script, re-shoot, re-premise of a flim?

I've never viewed SMG's analysis as specifically saying, "Oh, the film should have been this way in my perfect vision," or whatever, but that it's pointing to the very real, coherent question of why the film was presented in this way. Why isn't it possible for the kaiju to be reasoned with and, ultimately, saved from oppression? Why is the ultimate solution to the problems (embodied in the kaiju) of global warming a technocratic, non-governmental solution? Why are the kaiju all cloned and female? Answering these questions points to the ideology of the film, and if these questions continue to repeat in most modern media, then we can, perhaps, understand the ideological makeup of our time.

If we actually desire an egalitarian society (and I should hope that people do!), I think it is absolutely necessary for us to critically analyze the constant, relatively unconscious thought patterns ("this horrible problem can only be solved through the killing of individuals") that pervade media, and see if we cannot find different ways of looking at or reframing issues in modern media to create a better, more egalitarian mainstream ideology.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

anthraciteDragon posted:

Explain to me how they'd go about doing this.

Turning off the radio? Hit a switch. Rallying the proletariat? Use their fame to broadcast a message of love for kaiju.

Freeing the kaiju is similar: search for a way to block the psychic link between them and their masters. Communicate with them via drifting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vermain posted:

Why are the kaiju all cloned and female?

Still waiting for some textual justification for this (the latter bit). One kaiju we see has a functioning womb. The kaiju have a lot in common with sea life, what if they're like seahorses, in which the male gets pregnant? What if the kaiju are all transvestites, possessing what we would describe as male and female sex characteristics? What if this one particular kaiju had a womb bolted on as a way of deploying another combatant from somewhere that's not the rift?

You're taking after SMG, making up 'facts' to try to prove a point.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Corek posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Del Toro intentionally made the kaiju to lack redeeming features because he was annoyed with the trend in recent horror movies to humanize the monster (like the King Kong remake?). His motive behind this apparently was that the kaiju are merely weapons, and have no possible correlation to the real world.

I don't get why he had to put in the smaller alien masters. Just let them be wild then, the amoral, impersonal destruction that comes as the cost of living. It really seemed like the whole "close the throat" idea ties into that, that they're not hunting us out or invading, they're just passing through an accidental connection that needs to be closed. But in this story, we didn't win in any way. They've still got a bigger army than they ever sent through and they've punched a hole through twice now. We just delayed them a while.

Again, without going on a read about unity, Christology, or the like, the ending felt underwhelming, and that's because they had a big "THIS IS THE REAL ENEMY!" and followed it up with "BUT LETS SKIP OVER THEM." It psyches you up and then... nothing. Cut them or fight them, anything besides than just shutting the door on them. It's pretty much tied with it's small scope for my biggest problem in the film.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

Still waiting for some textual justification for this (the latter bit). One kaiju we see has a functioning womb. The kaiju have a lot in common with sea life, what if they're like seahorses, in which the male gets pregnant? What if the kaiju are all transvestites, possessing what we would describe as male and female sex characteristics? What if this one particular kaiju had a womb bolted on as a way of deploying another combatant from somewhere that's not the rift?

What is the strongest, most immediate association a living human being will on average make when confronted with the image of pregnancy?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Turning off the radio? Hit a switch. Rallying the proletariat? Use their fame to broadcast a message of love for kaiju.

Freeing the kaiju is similar: search for a way to block the psychic link between them and their masters. Communicate with them via drifting.

None of those things are even HINTED at being remotely possible within the established world.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Vermain posted:

I've never viewed SMG's analysis as specifically saying, "Oh, the film should have been this way in my perfect vision," or whatever, but that it's pointing to the very real, coherent question of why the film was presented in this way. Why isn't it possible for the kaiju to be reasoned with and, ultimately, saved from oppression? Why is the ultimate solution to the problems (embodied in the kaiju) of global warming a technocratic, non-governmental solution? Why are the kaiju all cloned and female? Answering these questions points to the ideology of the film, and if these questions continue to repeat in most modern media, then we can, perhaps, understand the ideological makeup of our time.

I'm actually really quite grossed out by the forced gender binary that's taken place in this thread that's somehow declared the kaiju as "female" when the logic of the film declares this has nothing to do with gender, and simply developing another way to destroy and terrorize a greater number of humans - by giving birth to another kaiju. This is more asexual than anything else and has nothing to do with gender. It's simply a machine self-replicating, like an amoeba or liverworts.

quote:

If we actually desire an egalitarian society (and I should hope that people do!), I think it is absolutely necessary for us to critically analyze the constant, relatively unconscious thought patterns ("this horrible problem can only be solved through the killing of individuals") that pervade media, and see if we cannot find different ways of looking at or reframing issues in modern media to create a better, more egalitarian mainstream ideology.

This post is creepy, especially since in the above, you are yourself reinforcing bigoted ideology with regards to the gender binary. Also insinuating that everyone that doesn't agree with you isn't for an egalitarian society and thus, a bigot, is a pretty low attempt at performative intellectualism.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

None of those things are even HINTED at being remotely possible within the established world.

They are explicitly shown using a switch to turn a radio on/off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vermain posted:

What is the strongest, most immediate association a living human being will on average make when confronted with the image of pregnancy?

Your point being? This is a movie in which humanity goes with "giant robots" instead of all number of other more (real-worldly)"reasonably" military solutions to combat Kaiju.

The "immediately obvious" is already thrown pretty far out the window long before we reach the pregnant kaiju scene.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm sure the people of the world who live under the fear and threat of the Kaiju would love to hear some Jaeger pilots call for them to stop the hate and love the Kaiju. Ignore Slattern and his buddies chewing on the buildings and squashing people underfoot. They can't help themselves, they're under control of an otherwordly evil, you need to pity them and love them, right up to the point where they eat you and your family, then you can be united with them for the rest of your life!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

Your point being?

When images appear in a film - or in any work of media - they are generally symbolic of something in that they are meant to evoke a certain unconscious response and understanding. The image of a cross, to the majority of Western audiences, will conjure to mind Christianity (and, more literally, the salvation promised therein), while the image of pregnancy will conjure to mind a woman. If a monster is given this very strong symbolic element, what other conclusion should be drawn?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Communicate with them via drifting.

They tried that, then Charlie Day got attacked by a giant monster with a little baby monster booby trap to try and stop them from doing it again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vermain posted:

When images appear in a film - or in any work of media - they are generally symbolic of something in that they are meant to evoke a certain unconscious response and understanding. The image of a cross, to the majority of Western audiences, will conjure to mind Christianity (and, more literally, the salvation promised therein), while the image of pregnancy will conjure to mind a woman. If a monster is given this very strong symbolic element, what other conclusion should be drawn?

I listed a whole shitload of them, and another poster got one too, self-replication rather than traditional pregnancy.

Pretending my points don't exist don't make them go away.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Miltank posted:

I think that's his point, that the movie is constructed so that the only solution is violent. He's suggesting that it should be constructed differently.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Vermain posted:

This is an idiotic question that declares that all context and everything else in a film should be succinctly ignored for the sake of proving your argument right. The kaiju masters are an alien species from another dimension who move between worlds through rifts and building giant organic monsters to slaughter occupying species, constantly evolving them as time passes. It's not that hard to understand they developed implanting a kaiju with another kaiju to cause more and more destruction in order to wipe the human race.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

I listed a whole shitload of them, and another poster got one too, self-replication rather than traditional pregnancy.

Pretending my points don't exist don't make them go away.

Are any of those something that a typical person is actually going to associate with pregnancy, though? The association of pregnancy with the feminine is ancient and pervasive, to the point where I sincerely doubt that showing someone a picture of a swollen belly today would conjure to mind anything but a woman. If a creature has a baby within it, what is the obvious conclusion that would be drawn?

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

A human heart posted:

I think that's his point, that the movie is constructed so that the only solution is violent. He's suggesting that it should be constructed differently.

Yeah he can't do that. We're discussing the movie as it is not the movie as he hoped it would be. He's also acting as if the movie supports his points.

Superstring posted:

It's weird how much people are latching onto a Christian reading for Pacific Rim. Y'know, it's source material comes from a place that has other religions, right?

But the man who made it comes from a Christian nation. Thus,

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

It's weird how much people are latching onto a Christian reading for Pacific Rim. Y'know, it's source material comes from a place that has other religions, right?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

anthraciteDragon posted:

I'm sure the people of the world who live under the fear and threat of the Kaiju would love to hear some Jaeger pilots call for them to stop the hate and love the Kaiju. Ignore Slattern and his buddies chewing on the buildings and squashing people underfoot. They can't help themselves, they're under control of an otherwordly evil, you need to pity them and love them, right up to the point where they eat you and your family, then you can be united with them for the rest of your life!

The LFest opinions.

Not even a burn, there are Carlos Latuff cartoons that hold the exact same sentiments towards American soldiers. Can't find it, cause the dude makes five new cartoons every day (It's the one with a soldier saying "You see, I'm also a victim" to a kid whose parents he just shot), but still, it's a respectable opinion. A message of forgiveness and unity is not universal, but I'd really like to see a film about humanity uniting across all borders to be more radical than just "If we don't unite we die." It's a movie about giant robots, why be crass?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Superstring posted:

The reading SMG is giving isn't necessarily "Christian" in the sense of "the Lord God exists and we wish to be reunited into the Godhead" or whatever, but it is "Christological" (since the personage of Christ is about personal sacrifice, redemption, and universal love).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vermain posted:

Are any of those something that a typical person is actually going to associate with pregnancy, though? The association of pregnancy with the feminine is ancient and pervasive, to the point where I sincerely doubt that showing someone a picture of a swollen belly today would conjure to mind anything but a woman.

When did we see a swollen belly in Pacific Rim? We see a not-fully-formed kaiju in an organ sac in an abdominal cavity. Until that moment, there's no indication the kaiju is carrying a child (and we still haven't established it is a child. Is it biologically a child of the dead kaiju? Was the fetus [assuming the life cycle of a kaiju has any similarities to humans and thus have a fetal stage] harvested elsewhere or simply assembled by the Masters and put into this particular Kaiju? Would the 'baby' ever fully matured and been viable outside its 'mother'?) and we really only have Newt's word on the matter that 'pregnant' is the most apt word to describe what's happening.

I'll again say, there's a million and one ways to interpret that scene. Unilaterally declaring "all kaiju are female" means you've chosen to disregard all points and interpretations but your own. Since that is the case, I kindly ask you to leave the discussion, since you've stopped participating in it in any meaningful manner.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Superstring posted:

No Jesus, no peace, know Jesus know peace.

SMG is a lovely bumpersticker.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

anthraciteDragon posted:

Correct. It's people who refuse this message that are the true enemy. It's not about pity, though. It's about freedom and solidarity.

Superman doesn't pity humanity. He does what he does, and believes in humanity to make the right choice.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Popular 2001 film Black Hawk Down has a disturbing tendency towards otherisation and violence. The RPGs deployed to destroy the titular Blackhawks are not reasoned with, only feared and avoided when possible. Despite being complex pieces of machinery capable of detecting an impact and exploding, no characters respond favourably to their presence, and the various equipment such as Humvees and Blackhawks do not even attempt to engage in diplomacy. In fact, one soldier is impaled with a warhead, and despite their intimate relationship the humans' immediate response is to treat it like a threat and attempt to remove it. I can't remember what happens after that but I hope they all died.

Also the warheads are female because they're ugly.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 21, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Correct. It's people who refuse this message that are the true enemy. It's not about pity, though. It's about freedom and solidarity.

Superman doesn't pity humanity. He does what he does, and believes in humanity to make the right choice.

By that logic, WWII was pointless as we could have negotiate with Hitler and forgive Pearl Harbor. See? The Holocaust wasn't that bad! He's just a good guy down at heart.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

We see a not-fully-formed kaiju in an organ sac in an abdominal cavity. Until that moment, there's no indication the kaiju is carrying a child (and we still haven't established it is a child. Is it biologically a child of the dead kaiju? Was the fetus [assuming the life cycle of a kaiju has any similarities to humans and thus have a fetal stage] harvested elsewhere or simply assembled by the Masters and put into this particular Kaiju? Would the 'baby' ever fully matured and been viable outside its 'mother'?) and we really only have Newt's word on the matter that 'pregnant' is the most apt word to describe what's happening.

Again: Why was the "baby" (and it is, very clearly, a smaller kaiju in an embryonic state) present in what is basically a womb? Why does it have an umbilical cord? Why was it not present, say, in a large, cone-shaped growth on the back of the kaiju that explodes in order to release another mostly-formed kaiju? You cannot stuff immense amounts of pregnancy imagery into a scene and then declare it has nothing to do with pregnancy and all of the associated, symbolic imagery that entails.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

7thBatallion posted:

By that logic, WWII was pointless as we could have negotiate with Hitler and forgive Pearl Harbor. See? The Holocaust wasn't that bad! He's just a good guy down at heart.

Hitler was not a member of the proletariat. He was the leader of the country.

Kill Hitler and rally the poor (not necessarily in that order).

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

The Kaiju are the way they are because in addition to old Japanese monster movies, Del Toro loves him some H.P. Lovecraft. They're Lovecraftian monsters. The dimension past the Rift was Lovecraftian to hell.

I hope if The Call of Cthulhu ever gets translated to film we hear the same complaints about why the characters don't try to make friends with Cthulhu instead of ramming him in the head with a yacht.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Superstring posted:

The source material rules, by the way.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

The source material rules, by the way.

Agreed.

But to not take into account the different cultural background seems short sighted to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am frustrated by my inability to find any classic sentai stuff on Netflix.

Could rent the discs but where to start...

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Hitler was not a member of the proletariat. He was the leader of the country.

Kill Hitler and rally the poor (not necessarily in that order).

The gas chambers and gestapo were both manned by the proletariat. You are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

7thBatallion posted:

It's more akin to negotiating with the Tigers and Stukas and V2s.

Superstring posted:

I hope if The Call of Cthulhu ever gets translated to film we hear the same complaints about why the characters don't try to make friends with Cthulhu instead of ramming him in the head with a yacht.

It only makes him take a nap so it's a waste of violence.

• Locked thread