Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ugh every time Ada opens her mouth is just the worst. And why the hell does she look so young now besides "anime?" At least her campaign is more fun than Leon's stupid slog.

e: is there any way to switch up skills other than waiting for a save point and exiting out to the main menu? and how can I tell which levels are zombies and which are...whatever the other things are called now

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yodzilla posted:

Ugh every time Ada opens her mouth is just the worst. And why the hell does she look so young now besides "anime?" At least her campaign is more fun than Leon's stupid slog.

e: is there any way to switch up skills other than waiting for a save point and exiting out to the main menu? and how can I tell which levels are zombies and which are...whatever the other things are called now

Leon deals with zombies, Chris & Jake deal with J'avo's. Ada deals with both.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Yodzilla posted:

e: is there any way to switch up skills other than waiting for a save point and exiting out to the main menu?

You can make 8 different skill sets in the game menu that you can change on the fly while playing.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The problem with RE6 is that there is not enough straight zombie killing. Basically, Leon's first chapter (after you get full control) should have been the design of the entire game as it is just straight up zombie shooting. Instead, we have to ride a bunch of stupid gap-filler vehicle sections and indestructible-enemy sections, which get boring really fast. As previous posters said, please make a RE4 style game with RE6's controls.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
RE6's travesty comes more into perspective when you realize that they spent all that money, and focused all that energy, and this is what we got. I definitely don't think it is worth $60 and there are way too many drat gimmicks. The whole unstoppable monster with several boss fights got old after a while.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

1redflag posted:

The problem with RE6 is that there is not enough straight zombie killing. Basically, Leon's first chapter (after you get full control) should have been the design of the entire game as it is just straight up zombie shooting. Instead, we have to ride a bunch of stupid gap-filler vehicle sections and indestructible-enemy sections, which get boring really fast. As previous posters said, please make a RE4 style game with RE6's controls.

I feel like RE6 proved that Zombies are boring as gently caress, and fighting them is only fun when you have tons of wacky wrestling moves at your disposal. Leon's campaign is all zombies all the time and its terrible because by the time you beat Chapter 1, you've seen everything the enemies can throw at you (because they can only do like, two things). Meanwhile, over in Chris/Jake town, you've got the J'avo pulling out all the stops. They can shoot at you, take cover, try to flank and surround you, and that's all nice but the real star of the show is the mutations. The fact that a headshot can result in a J'avo turning into a flailing lunatic with bees for a head is pretty great, especially when that's one of four things that can happen. They can sprout crazy-rear end scythe arms or grasshopper legs or murderous chompy heads or just turn into GUN SPIDERS and all this insane poo poo, and you have equally insane counters available to deal with all of it!

J'avo are like if every basic enemy was a tiny little William Birkin and it is fantastic.

Unless by "Zombies" you were including J'avos and just meant there should've have been more straight up fighting, then I have sperged for no reason and also completely agree with you.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Unless by "Zombies" you were including J'avos and just meant there should've have been more straight up fighting, then I have sperged for no reason and also completely agree with you.

That's what I meant. J'avo were neat, particularly the lizard and rock man mutations. I think a mixture of zombies, J'avo, and Plagas could be really fun, too. Basically, get rid of all the god drat vehicle gimmicks and let me play the 3rd person shooter I bought.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Crowetron posted:

I feel like RE6 proved that Zombies are boring as gently caress, and fighting them is only fun when you have tons of wacky wrestling moves at your disposal. Leon's campaign is all zombies all the time and it's terrible...

And I feel like this is how you pick out someone who started the series at RE4. I didn't care for Chris/Jake's campaign anywhere near as much as I liked Leon's... if I wanted to fight against dudes with guns there are plenty of other games that let me do that, but most zombie games these days use 'fast' zombies and RE6 is the first time in a while I've seen 'slow' zombies and I appreciated it all the more for that.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So I mentioned this in the Steam Thread, but I picked up RE5 a few days ago when it was 5 bucks on GMG. Now I just beat the final mission online, and it unlocked NG+ for me, but nothing else. I checked and it says it's not listed as completed for me, but it still gave me NG+. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is here. Has this happened to anyone else?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.twitch.tv/carcinogensda

This dude is doing a marathon for reaching 3,000 followers, he's playing every RE game he can, just accidentally got the Leon A route world record. Currently getting into RE3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

This dude is doing a marathon for reaching 3,000 followers, he's playing every RE game he can, just accidentally got the Leon A route world record. Currently getting into RE3.

Hey, neat.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Alteisen posted:

Color me impressed. Time to jump on in there.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I've heard a lot of arguments for why the more recent games are terrible and/or not Survival Horror, but the only one that struck me as being accurate and cogent is the noting of location-based gameplay versus the "action path" trend. Resident Evil has definitely been using more of the latter of late, and it goes a way towards explaining the general reaction to Revelations.

That said, I want to bring up RE6's Rasklapanje sections - they're essentially stages where you get dropped in a spooky maze and made to go on a scavenger hunt while pursued by regenerating enemies that can potentially instakill players. That's "classic Resident Evil" in microcosm and, if RE6 is truly a pure action game devoid of exploration and terror, in what way are these parts inadequate and/or false?

Crowetron posted:

J'avo are like if every basic enemy was a tiny little William Birkin and it is fantastic.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. J'avo are awesome in both design and execution, and I love this game and series for having them. :allears:

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 6, 2013

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Jeedy Jay posted:

That's "classic Resident Evil" in microcosm and, if RE6 is truly a pure action game devoid of exploration and terror, in what way are these parts inadequate and/or false?

'cause Rastafaris are awful zero-threat enemies that you can just waltz past, making those sections really, really boring.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

'cause Rastafaris are awful zero-threat enemies that you can just waltz past, making those sections really, really boring.

Incidentally, I find a lot of the famously menacing enemies in the old games have this problem on more recent replays. Resident Evil suffers greatly from nostalgia, I'm afraid. :(

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

Did you feel like that the first time, though? My first encounter with them was terrifying, but subsequent ones were as you said. Perhaps they shouldn't have been used in each campaign.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Edit: oops, double post.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Did you feel like that the first time, though? My first encounter with them was terrifying, but subsequent ones were as you said. Perhaps they shouldn't have been used in each campaign.

I think this was one of the largest problems with RE6, to be honest. They wanted to up the content, but instead just triplicated (or quadrupled) experiences as padding. Also, not to keep harping on the same thing, but I keep thinking of all the development time/money spent creating throw-away sections like Chris's Harriet jet section or the jake's snowmobile avalanche adventure. I get that the jet ski escape was kind of fun in RE4, but mainly because it was short, simple, and absolutely ridiculous.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MAybe for a second until you realize that you can just blast them with the shotgun and be on your way. They give you way too many movement options for them to be a threat.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Maybe at first they were intimidating, like, I mean, the first time I ever shot one I guess I was anticipating them to act like regenerators and was nervous because of that but certainly by the end of the first encounter I was just bored and walking right past them looking for the keys, yeah.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I dunno, even with Resident Evil 6 having a lot of explosions and bullets, I still felt there were at least one or two parts of the game which were somewhat tense to play through which is a step up from the absolute lack of horror Resident Evil 5 had if you ask me.

rustyshackelford
May 31, 2011
Maybe it's just me but those raskaplanje are as difficult to spell as they are terrifying every single time. I refused to play those sections solo, but I've always had a weird relationship with Resident Evil since the first time I played the second one. I hated those things so drat much.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

And I feel like this is how you pick out someone who started the series at RE4. I didn't care for Chris/Jake's campaign anywhere near as much as I liked Leon's... if I wanted to fight against dudes with guns there are plenty of other games that let me do that, but most zombie games these days use 'fast' zombies and RE6 is the first time in a while I've seen 'slow' zombies and I appreciated it all the more for that.

My first RE was Nemesis and I literally bought a Gamecube just so I could play the REmake on launch. I've been being a big dumb idiot about Resident Evil since the PSX days. Even back then, Zombies were the least interesting thing going on in the games.

RE1 had a strong start for the Zombies, but once you get the hang of the tank controls, you can just jog past almost every shambling goofball in the game. The concern wasn't "Oh no, this zombie's gonna get me!" it was "Can I get past this jerk without using any resources that I might need for a real threat?". You got fast as hell murder dogs jumping through windows, gargantuan spiders pooping poison from every orifice, twisted amalgam bug men covered in claws and blades, freakishly strong gorilla/lizard hybrids that can take your head clean off, loving BASEMENT SHARKS! Compared to all that poo poo, zombies are just slow dudes who kinda stand in your way sometimes. They are the Goomba of horror games, except Goombas are more endearing.

RE2 pumped it up, though. As soon as you start the game, motherfucking zombies are everywhere, and they're on fire and spittin' poo poo and crawlin' at you. The run to the RPD at the start of RE2 is tense as gently caress because you're used to clownin' on these dudes and all of a sudden there's a fuckin' million of 'em everywhere! But then you're inside again, and things calm down. You remember dealing with zombies in narrow corridors, and its still pretty much the same. Except now you might have to dodge 3 or 4 of 'em on your way back to the item box because you didn't realize you'd need a friggin' Chess Piece to get into the goddamn sewers. There's the occasional huge swarm of them hanging around, but you have a shotgun so whatever. Plus, now there's bigger poo poo to worry about. There's crazy skinless demons crawling around taking people's heads off, some giant monster man is trying to bash your head in with a pipe, plants learned to both walk AND hate, and those loving dogs are back! Also the spiders, I guess, but by now no one gives a poo poo about those slowly turning fuzzy Roombas.

Then, there's Nemesis. Again, zombies are everywhere, but Capcom knows that you probably know the drill. After a little Romero action at the start, the game just kinda assumes you don't give a poo poo about zombies anymore and that's cool, because you really don't. You got dodge moves and a grenade launcher and loads of bullets, and you can just run right up stairs now! Once again, the zombies are the least scary thing you can see lurking in the alleys of Raccoon City. You got two new types of Hunters (although Gamma was admittedly goofy as gently caress), the horrible bladed spider men are back, there's things out there literally called "BRAIN SUCKERS", plus at least two giant killer worms, zombie dogs that are on FIRE, a shifty Russian dude blowing up gas stations, and oh yeah, the titular death machine that wants to eat your skin and make your bones into a nice little decorative necklace for his mom, the giant test tube. The game even openly mocks the zombies by having them rise from the grave in a straight up graveyard, but do so in a fashion that really doesn't impede you at all and is totally ineffective. And then it despawns them a replaces them with a boss fight against a giant carnivorous dong, so zombies really don't amount to dick.

Zombies are boring as gently caress, man. All they can do is walk at you and bite. Ganado, Majini, J'avo; they're all better enemies because they actually do poo poo. When I lose sight of a zombie, I'm just like "whatever" because as long as I keep moving at a leisurely pace, I'm like the fuckin' Flash to them. When a Ganado slowly shambles towards me muttering in Spanish, I tense up because that dude could charge at me like a bat outta hell at any second, and also might turn into a blade swinging booger monster if I'm really unlucky. When a Majini disappears behind a building, I get nervous, because now that motherfucker could come from anywhere and he had a big-rear end knife and looked pretty angry the last time I saw him. I see a J'avo get shot anywhere by anything, that dude now has my full attention because he is about to do some crazy poo poo and I don't want to get blown up fragmentation maggots! poo poo, even Dead Space knows how to do that poo poo, because even if the basic Necromorph acts basically the same as your average zombie, at least it's visually interesting. You could have one of the gory jumbles of body parts and blade just chilling out in a corner texting its unholy pals, and I'll still be like "Whoa"

For every game that has you fighting dudes with guns, there's at least two others than has you fighting zombies. Hell, half the time, it's the same game. I get that fighting gun dudes can be just as dull as fighting zombies, don't get me wrong. The Gun Majini in the later levels of RE5 are fuckin' terrible, for example. But for the most part, the RE4 and on era has tried to go in a direction that isn't quite the same as either of them, and I feel like the J'avo are the best they've managed yet. They're visually interesting, wildly varied, behave in dynamic ways and you have tons of cool options to use against them. It's great!

As for the raskaplanje issue, they kinda suck, but I still dig 'em for having a name that's really fun to say. "Raskaplaaaanje~"

Edit: drat, even Zero had the zombie baboons, and they were terrifying because real life baboons are the scariest loving thing

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 7, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Crowetron posted:

My first RE was Nemesis and I literally bought a Gamecube just so I could play the REmake on launch. I've been being a big dumb idiot about Resident Evil since the PSX days. Even back then, Zombies were the least interesting thing going on in the games.

RE1 had a strong start for the Zombies, but once you get the hang of the tank controls, you can just jog past almost every shambling goofball in the game. The concern wasn't "Oh no, this zombie's gonna get me!" it was "Can I get past this jerk without using any resources that I might need for a real threat?". You got fast as hell murder dogs jumping through windows, gargantuan spiders pooping poison from every orifice, twisted amalgam bug men covered in claws and blades, freakishly strong gorilla/lizard hybrids that can take your head clean off, loving BASEMENT SHARKS! Compared to all that poo poo, zombies are just slow dudes who kinda stand in your way sometimes. They are the Goomba of horror games, except Goombas are more endearing.

RE2 pumped it up, though. As soon as you start the game, motherfucking zombies are everywhere, and they're on fire and spittin' poo poo and crawlin' at you. The run to the RPD at the start of RE2 is tense as gently caress because you're used to clownin' on these dudes and all of a sudden there's a fuckin' million of 'em everywhere! But then you're inside again, and things calm down. You remember dealing with zombies in narrow corridors, and its still pretty much the same. Except now you might have to dodge 3 or 4 of 'em on your way back to the item box because you didn't realize you'd need a friggin' Chess Piece to get into the goddamn sewers. There's the occasional huge swarm of them hanging around, but you have a shotgun so whatever. Plus, now there's bigger poo poo to worry about. There's crazy skinless demons crawling around taking people's heads off, some giant monster man is trying to bash your head in with a pipe, plants learned to both walk AND hate, and those loving dogs are back! Also the spiders, I guess, but by now no one gives a poo poo about those slowly turning fuzzy Roombas.

Then, there's Nemesis. Again, zombies are everywhere, but Capcom knows that you probably know the drill. After a little Romero action at the start, the game just kinda assumes you don't give a poo poo about zombies anymore and that's cool, because you really don't. You got dodge moves and a grenade launcher and loads of bullets, and you can just run right up stairs now! Once again, the zombies are the least scary thing you can see lurking in the alleys of Raccoon City. You got two new types of Hunters (although Gamma was admittedly goofy as gently caress), the horrible bladed spider men are back, there's things out there literally called "BRAIN SUCKERS", plus at least two giant killer worms, zombie dogs that are on FIRE, a shifty Russian dude blowing up gas stations, and oh yeah, the titular death machine that wants to eat your skin and make your bones into a nice little decorative necklace for his mom, the giant test tube. The game even openly mocks the zombies by having them rise from the grave in a straight up graveyard, but do so in a fashion that really doesn't impede you at all and is totally ineffective. And then it despawns them a replaces them with a boss fight against a giant carnivorous dong, so zombies really don't amount to dick.

Zombies are boring as gently caress, man. All they can do is walk at you and bite. Ganado, Majini, J'avo; they're all better enemies because they actually do poo poo. When I lose sight of a zombie, I'm just like "whatever" because as long as I keep moving at a leisurely pace, I'm like the fuckin' Flash to them. When a Ganado slowly shambles towards me muttering in Spanish, I tense up because that dude could charge at me like a bat outta hell at any second, and also might turn into a blade swinging booger monster if I'm really unlucky. When a Majini disappears behind a building, I get nervous, because now that motherfucker could come from anywhere and he had a big-rear end knife and looked pretty angry the last time I saw him. I see a J'avo get shot anywhere by anything, that dude now has my full attention because he is about to do some crazy poo poo and I don't want to get blown up fragmentation maggots! poo poo, even Dead Space knows how to do that poo poo, because even if the basic Necromorph acts basically the same as your average zombie, at least it's visually interesting. You could have one of the gory jumbles of body parts and blade just chilling out in a corner texting its unholy pals, and I'll still be like "Whoa"

For every game that has you fighting dudes with guns, there's at least two others than has you fighting zombies. Hell, half the time, it's the same game. I get that fighting gun dudes can be just as dull as fighting zombies, don't get me wrong. The Gun Majini in the later levels of RE5 are fuckin' terrible, for example. But for the most part, the RE4 and on era has tried to go in a direction that isn't quite the same as either of them, and I feel like the J'avo are the best they've managed yet. They're visually interesting, wildly varied, behave in dynamic ways and you have tons of cool options to use against them. It's great!

As for the raskaplanje issue, they kinda suck, but I still dig 'em for having a name that's really fun to say. "Raskaplaaaanje~"

Edit: drat, even Zero had the zombie baboons, and they were terrifying because real life baboons are the scariest loving thing

Zero also had leeches, a giant bat, hunters, spiders AND a scorpion, and the biggest goddamn centipede you'll see outside an Earth Defense Force game.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Me and Captain Swing have been replaying all the campaigns again on No Hope, and let me tell you, if you want tense, play on No Hope with Agent Hunt allowed. I'm not sure if I can go back to playing on lower difficulties after this.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I got RE6 on the PC recently for fairly cheap, and I started with Chris's campaign. While I enjoy all the neat melee combos and the J'avo transformation mechanic, I hate how they throw out ranged enemies like candy in most scenarios. When melee enemies get a hit on me then yeah, it's my fault, but too often some rear end in a top hat with a machine-gun will pop up way out of my view and start spamming at me before I have any opportunity to react.

It's just kind of obnoxious how many encounters don't bother showing you enemy locations or properly telegraphing boss attacks (like the two helicopters in chapter 3), and just expect you to tank all the damage. I really hope this is something specific to Chris's campaign and not an endemic issue with the entire game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

I got RE6 on the PC recently for fairly cheap, and I started with Chris's campaign. While I enjoy all the neat melee combos and the J'avo transformation mechanic, I hate how they throw out ranged enemies like candy in most scenarios. When melee enemies get a hit on me then yeah, it's my fault, but too often some rear end in a top hat with a machine-gun will pop up way out of my view and start spamming at me before I have any opportunity to react.

It's just kind of obnoxious how many encounters don't bother showing you enemy locations or properly telegraphing boss attacks (like the two helicopters in chapter 3), and just expect you to tank all the damage. I really hope this is something specific to Chris's campaign and not an endemic issue with the entire game.

Those dudes with LMGs suck, especially on a first time through. Once you know they're coming, it's not as bad, but still pretty rough. The Chopper in Chris 3 is a HUUUUGE bag of farts, though. Until Lunethex's LP, I didn't even realize it was possible to do the fight on the boat solo without sucking down tons of herbs. I really like RE6, but drat, Chris's boss fights are fuckin' terrible all around. Jake and Leon definitely have much better designed bosses.

Jake's campaign also encounters chopper in the apartment area, as you probably already guessed. It's a lot easier as Jake, though, since you can just duck under some cover and just focus on killing J'avos.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Jeedy Jay posted:

That said, I want to bring up RE6's Rasklapanje sections - they're essentially stages where you get dropped in a spooky maze and made to go on a scavenger hunt while pursued by regenerating enemies that can potentially instakill players. That's "classic Resident Evil" in microcosm and, if RE6 is truly a pure action game devoid of exploration and terror, in what way are these parts inadequate and/or false?

The first time I encountered those things was playing Leon's campaign co-op with a buddy on the PC version, before they had added in an option to actually reduce the volume of always-on voice. Someone playing Agent Hunt got control of the Rasklapanje and for some reason had a baby near their microphone. True terror is a human-controlled Rasklapanje stalking you making baby gibberish noises.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
And I'll form the head!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Oh boy here we go, I loved this in RE5 :allears:

Making enemies big and small!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Do people still play Raid Mode on the PC version of Revelations? I tried searching for some games a couple times as my scrub newbie level 1 self and got nothing.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Oh boy.

Tiny Simmons!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Man, Pokemon got weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He's huge!

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RoyalScion posted:

Do people still play Raid Mode on the PC version of Revelations? I tried searching for some games a couple times as my scrub newbie level 1 self and got nothing.

I think the first 'Online Event' killed Revelations MP unfortunately. The Mass Effect events gave you exclusive weapons which you could lord over the masses, which only the top ten get from RE.net. The killcount awards for their first BIG EVENT were just some lovely level-based loot, and games have dropped off on the 360 too after that. :(

I keep getting lovely 1-slot guns, and the crappy EasyHit / Gardener parts from the Ghost Ship too. :argh:

VVVV :argh: somemore.

limited fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 16, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

limited posted:

I think the first 'Online Event' killed Revelations MP unfortunately. The Mass Effect events gave you exclusive weapons which you could lord over the masses, which only the top ten get from RE.net. The killcount awards for their first BIG EVENT were just some lovely level-based loot, and games have dropped off on the 360 after that. :(

I keep getting lovely 1-slot guns, and the crappy EasyHit / Gardener parts from the Ghost Ship too. :argh:

I don't have trouble finding games on PS3 though. There's always a good bunch open.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Oh the things that happen to me in RE6.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've never played much Resident Evil and I want to fix that. With that, what's the best way to play RE4? Should I buy the Wii or Gamecube version?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

RE4 Wii is the best version. It has the best controls and all the extra content from the PS2/PC versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ascetic Crow posted:

I've never played much Resident Evil and I want to fix that. With that, what's the best way to play RE4? Should I buy the Wii or Gamecube version?

Get the Wii version. You could still use a Gamecube controller or Classic Controller with it if you don't feel like using motion controls.