Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Can't we ask SuperKlaus to update the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Call Now posted:

Can't we ask SuperKlaus to update the OP?

It's coming up on 500 pages, most other sub-forums have rules on not letting threads get this big because it generates issues with the software and moderating.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Incidentally, small timing detail, but when Rich takes a post-storyarc break he always gives a return date. I think if we do make a new thread we shouldn't make it right when the current arc ends, but 1-2 days before the return date, otherwise there's not much to talk about for several weeks.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I personally think a new thread is a good idea. Or at least, not a bad one. Potential new blood/length intimidation outweighs whatever cachet a lot of pages bring.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
A suggestion for the plot summaries of each arc - State only their setups, not their conclusions.

This way, you give someone new reading through the summaries a general feel of where the plot goes without giving away any of the big twists.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incidentally, small timing detail, but when Rich takes a post-storyarc break he always gives a return date. I think if we do make a new thread we shouldn't make it right when the current arc ends, but 1-2 days before the return date, otherwise there's not much to talk about for several weeks.

This is what I was going to say. Now is probably the worst time to make a new thread. This story is winding down, wait until the next one starts, if at all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh, this convo again? A new thread is NOT NEEDED. As a matter of fact, being old gives the thread character and life and it would be a shame to see that tossed out for what, a try to attract a new audience when we're just going to tell them to go back and read the whole archives anyway?

Ahahaha are you serious?

This thread is a crumbling monolith of bad rpg opinions, outdated speculation, nerd slapfights, and worst of all, goblins links.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Tollymain posted:

Ahahaha are you serious?

This thread is a crumbling monolith of bad rpg opinions, outdated speculation, nerd slapfights, and worst of all, goblins links.

Not weighing in on whether a new thread should be made or not, but wouldn't a new thread become all of the above?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Basically what I'm saying is that there is nothing special about this thread worth holding onto.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah the only reason to stick with an old thread is to keep its content accessible to non-archives users, and I doubt anyone has ever felt such a desperate need to go see how goons reacted to this or that plot twist.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Is having a new comprehensive OP actually a good thing? Because this isn't like a megathread in SHSC where the more information, the merrier. The synopsis posted on the page before this is actually subtly quite spoilerific, offhandedly mentioning dozens of surprise twists and revelations. i.e. "Roy dies" was a fantastic strip when you read it and you only have a vague suspicion that it might happen. But if you know what's going to be the end result of that arc it'll take a lot of the fun out of reading the 20 strips before it.

I think the current thread serves its purpose better than any new thread would. It draws the interest of people by being long and it doesn't ruin their enjoyment by making spoilers accidentally viewable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

peak debt posted:

I think the current thread serves its purpose better than any new thread would. It draws the interest of people by being long and it doesn't ruin their enjoyment by making spoilers accidentally viewable.
The current thread is almost 500 pages.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I think the book summaries have way too many spoilers. Maybe keep it a general outline, like where they go, and leave out references to, for example, Roy's death and the fall of Azure city.

Also, it'd be better to pick earlier comics for the examples, in my opinion.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Colon V posted:

The current thread is almost 500 pages.

None of which are actually required reading, and the beginning of which is guaranteed not to have any surprising spoilers because it grew with the comic.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't really see what the point of a plot summary even is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

peak debt posted:

None of which are actually required reading, and the beginning of which is guaranteed not to have any surprising spoilers because it grew with the comic.
You're missing the point here. The thread is too big, so it intrinsically needs replacing. Every SA thread that gets too big does.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Colonel Cool posted:

I don't really see what the point of a plot summary even is.

To get people who might be otherwise turned off by the first few strips that are mainly D&D injokes and without much of the features that really show off Burlew's skill as a writer and world-builder later on? I do agree that spoiling stuff like Roy's death would be taking a lot of the fun out of it; perhaps the summary could be suitably vague, like "after the battle of Azure City, the party scatters across the world" or something like that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Colon V posted:

You're missing the point here. The thread is too big, so it intrinsically needs replacing. Every SA thread that gets too big does.

But what would be gained from having a new thread? Who cares if the thread's too big, it's not like people are gonna read it or anything.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Just fyi the software issue that caused the forums to slow down when threads were too large was fixed years ago. That said I still support a new thread just to get a better OP set up for new readers.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Regalingualius posted:

To get people who might be otherwise turned off by the first few strips that are mainly D&D injokes and without much of the features that really show off Burlew's skill as a writer and world-builder later on? I do agree that spoiling stuff like Roy's death would be taking a lot of the fun out of it; perhaps the summary could be suitably vague, like "after the battle of Azure City, the party scatters across the world" or something like that.

That still spoils the fact that Xykon wins the battle, which if you remember was very much not a known outcome and quite a tense moment.

I agree with Colonel Cool, an actual plot outline is entirely pointless. It won't convince anyone to read the comic that otherwise wouldn't, and it can only detract from their enjoyment if they do. Ditto for a character guide, this isn't A Song of Ice and Fire.

A new OP only needs (a) an explanation of why OotS is not like every other lovely D&D webcomic out there and should be given a chance past the initial dungeon jokes, and (b) a quick guide to books and other purchases. Basically take the draft My Lovely Horse posted a page ago or so, remove the entire "Key Players" section, and you're good to go.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I usually just tell people to give it a fair chance by reading the first 100 pages and if they don't like it by then then they probably won't at all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Colonel Cool posted:

I usually just tell people to give it a fair chance by reading the first 100 pages and if they don't like it by then then they probably won't at all.

That is a rather odd suggestion since the comic really only starts to become good after the initial 100 pages. Before that, it is your run-of-mill D&D parody comic.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

e X posted:

That is a rather odd suggestion since the comic really only starts to become good after the initial 100 pages. Before that, it is your run-of-mill D&D parody comic.

I think you've started to get enough hints of plot by then. It's obviously not as good as it could be by that point but just randomly jumping in like 400 pages isn't going to work out either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd say 200. 200 is a cliffhanger with the reveal of Miko, so it works fairly well in a "keep reading!" way, too.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You don't think that telling someone "just read the first 200 pages to give it a fair shot" might be a bit much to expect?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Colon V posted:

Every thread?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If we're all weighing in, I will say that I started reading OOTS when this thread started some however many years ago :shobon: A new thread is less daunting because you don't feel like you have literally thousands of posts to catch up on, and you feel less likely to be spoilered that way as well.

Plus, not just in the comic, but a lot has happened since with OOTS; someone might have dismissed it out of hand prior but upon realizing "Wait, this is that comic that got a million dollars on Kickstarter? And it's literally D&D stick figures?" and may subsequently give it a second look.

The benefits outweigh the downsides, which don't really exist outside of "some grognards will be slightly annoyed." I do agree they should wait until the upcoming break, though.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I think a new thread is completely unnecessary.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I've been wanting a new thread for ages, and if we get one we can have "Alignment Arguments Are Awful Stupid" in the title.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Vorgen posted:

I think a new thread is completely unnecessary.

But but but look at all those pages (that you don't have to read through and most of us have not.) I still remain firmly in the no new thread camp.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cliff Racer posted:

But but but look at all those pages (that you don't have to read through and most of us have not.) I still remain firmly in the no new thread camp.

This same point came up last year when D&D kept having new election threads every week. Apparently something in the boards software means it doesn't handle large threads real well, even if you don't have people reading past pages.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Manyorcas posted:

Just fyi the software issue that caused the forums to slow down when threads were too large was fixed years ago. That said I still support a new thread just to get a better OP set up for new readers.

Fried Chicken posted:

This same point came up last year when D&D kept having new election threads every week. Apparently something in the boards software means it doesn't handle large threads real well, even if you don't have people reading past pages.

Based on the above evidence I can only assume some of us are traveling backwards in time!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So for that OP for the new thread could you add a section talking about all the extra books and stories that are tied to the comic, preferably with a short description of what it's about?

Also, speaking of side stories, I donated to the Kickstarter but haven't really kept up with it. Is the O-Chul story or any of the other Backer's Choice PDFs done?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 22, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also, speaking of side stories, I donated to the Kickstarter but haven't really kept up with it. Is the O-Chul story or any of the other Backer's Choice PDFs done?

Belkar's story is done, that's it so far.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

If you don't HAVE to read the old pages, and there's nothing of worth in the old pages, then why are they even there? Toss 'em out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I really don't understand what we we have to gain from keeping a six-year-old, outdated thread around. People... don't have to switch their bookmarks on one thread? :confuoot:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I hope Rich is ok.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mmkay posted:

I hope Rich is ok.

PROTOCOL FAIL

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Kind of random but I just noticed the kids arguing back in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0888.html

It's kind of adorable that one of Roy's fantasies is that he makes fighters be seen as a top tier class instead of the whipping boys they actually are. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

mmkay posted:

I hope Rich is ok.
About time someone said it and triggered the :siren:NEW COMIC:siren:

Good job there, Blackwing.