Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TKMobile posted:

If there was an accomplice who hoisted the killed up to the window, or vice versa, could the person atop the window just reach down and then pull the other person up?

Realistically it'd be pretty unsafe, unless they had fantastic footing and balance. Plus after that there'd be two people in the same spot jostling for space and trying not to fall down.

I'd probably not be too concerned about the window till we get more testimony or evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

likecnsnnts posted:

This is such a good point. How did Celes manage to get Yamada to kill for her? Obviously her endgame was to kill him so she understood how a killer/accomplice duo cannot work.

But both Peko and Yazuka-Light seem to be pretty savvy. Why would one of them just die for the sake of avenging a sibling?

Yaks are real big on ~*BUSHIDO HONOR*~ :japan: and Peko is a walking samuraiko stereotype, so vengeance could be seen as a valid way of restoring lost honor. Kuzuryuu also has a hair trigger temper and talks up killing, but he might also be too much of a punk to do it himself.

So he plays the game, gets mad, confides in Peko that he's gonna choke a bitch, sends the letter to Koizumi. Peko takes matters into her own hands without Kuzuryuu knowing, then washes her hands of it with the water bottles. Sanonji stumbles into the crime scene, freaks out, and gets herself red herringed. So you get a cross between Celes' case (setting up a pasty) and Mondo's case (crime of passion).

We still don't have the evidence for it, but as far as hail Mary guesses go, it could be worse.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

Yaks are real big on ~*BUSHIDO HONOR*~ :japan: and Peko is a walking samuraiko stereotype, so vengeance could be seen as a valid way of restoring lost honor. Kuzuryuu also has a hair trigger temper and talks up killing, but he might also be too much of a punk to do it himself.

So he plays the game, gets mad, confides in Peko that he's gonna choke a bitch, sends the letter to Koizumi. Peko takes matters into her own hands without Kuzuryuu knowing, then washes her hands of it with the water bottles. Sanonji stumbles into the crime scene, freaks out, and gets herself red herringed. So you get a cross between Celes' case (setting up a pasty) and Mondo's case (crime of passion).

We still don't have the evidence for it, but as far as hail Mary guesses go, it could be worse.

Okay, I'm kinda liking this one, but my big issue there is why tell Peko at all? They have no special bond of trust, so even if he was "just" planning on "choking a bitch" (by which I assume you mean assault without intent to kill) why the hell would he tell anyone? And if he did tell her, and his intent was to kill her, what would be Peko's motivation for letting it happen, unless she was planning to expose him at the trial? Otherwise she'd be at risk of getting killed if the wrong person gets accused.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Kuzuryuu being too much of a busta to finish the job himself and Peko showing up to clean up the mess (whether she is Kira Kira or not), but I just don't see a motivation for Peko to go along with it. And I don't think you can claim anything about Peko's ~Samurai Honor~ and then use it as motivation for her to kill Koizumi and pin it on Kuzuryuu. Not really honorable.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 21, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
As far as I can tell, Peko is the only one not involved with his sister's killing. If Kuzuryuu was going to rant to someone, it would be her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GeneralYeti posted:

As far as I can tell, Peko is the only one not involved with his sister's killing. If Kuzuryuu was going to rant to someone, it would be her.

Peko had no reason to kill Koizumi on Kuzuryuu's behalf, but if he confided in her Peko would have a great chance at killing her and blaming it on Kuzuryuu.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
But why would he do it at all? He's more tolerant of Peko than anybody else, granted, and she probably wasn't involved with his sister's death, true, but Kuzuryuu's demonstrated up till now that if he's gonna get anything done, he'll do it himself. By himself, without help and if there's a group forming, he basically tells it to gently caress off, even if someone (Peko) tried inviting him.

His sister is likely dead, maybe he killed her murderer and let's say he's willing to go after someone who covered up that killing, too. If he's already murdered someone ELSE, by himself pre-island, he wouldn't be willing to get help killing a second time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Even if he didn't tell Peko, Peko is the only person who willingly interacts with him at all. All anyone needs to frame Kuzuryuu is to play the game and know that he played it first.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Peko had no reason to kill Koizumi on Kuzuryuu's behalf, but if he confided in her Peko would have a great chance at killing her and blaming it on Kuzuryuu.

I feel if Peko was going to frame Kuzuryuu she'd do a better job than this. I suspect she was helping him willingly and without ulterior motives given how sincere she seems about most things. Why would she leave the mask if she's setting up Kuzuryuu? The two who look to be being framed are Sonia (the mask) and Saionji (the sweet if you don't think she just dropped it.)

I think at this point we can be confident on two things: Peko is the killer (water bottles, alibi, me repeating myself) and Kuzuryuu was the one who asked for her to do it (TS.)
Kuzuryuu asking Peko kind of vaguely makes sense it that;
1) He avoids any punishment since he didn't actually swing the bat (or shinai),
2) Peko has made suggesting she has some weird ideas of dispensing justice which he can manipulate

Why Peko went along with this won't be answered until the trial but probably ties into the Kira Kira thing (though I doubt it) or JUSTICE!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Popo posted:

I feel if Peko was going to frame Kuzuryuu she'd do a better job than this. I suspect she was helping him willingly and without ulterior motives given how sincere she seems about most things. Why would she leave the mask if she's setting up Kuzuryuu? The two who look to be being framed are Sonia (the mask) and Saionji (the sweet if you don't think she just dropped it.)

I think at this point we can be confident on two things: Peko is the killer (water bottles, alibi, me repeating myself) and Kuzuryuu was the one who asked for her to do it (TS.)
Kuzuryuu asking Peko kind of vaguely makes sense it that;
1) He avoids any punishment since he didn't actually swing the bat (or shinai),
2) Peko has made suggesting she has some weird ideas of dispensing justice which he can manipulate

Why Peko went along with this won't be answered until the trial but probably ties into the Kira Kira thing (though I doubt it) or JUSTICE!

I would suspect Peko more if there had been any hints that she interacted with Kuzuryuu thus far in this chapter. Added on Souda already suspected Peko.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would suspect Peko more if there had been any hints that she interacted with Kuzuryuu thus far in this chapter. Added on Souda already suspected Peko.

Who else is there though?

Sonia? We saw her coming from the other direction so she'd have had to do something improbably sneaky. The mask is also far too on the nose for her. The idea she's hiding bloody clothes under the wetsuit is also too silly. Getting those suckers on is already hard enough without being dressed and even then it'd be visible.

Saionji? Why would she kill her only friend? She's likely a witness and was hiding in the closet but there's no reason for her to kill Koizumi and it's hard to conceive that Kuzuryuu would ask her. Sure she can be a bitch but she doesn't seem capable of murder. Also, she's tiny. I doubt she has the strength to one shot anyone as well but that's nothing that's anime can't get past.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!
Well at first I didn't really like the peko/kuzuryuu thing however I went and skimmed every one of the previous updates looking for a connection between the two. (The first game had clues towards a Fukawa/Togami thing). Now that I've done that it seems really likely that Peko/Kuzuryuu have some sort of relationship with eachother. Peko is always the one that speaks to Kuzuryuu when noone else does. She even says she talked to Kuzuryuu when Kuzuryuu was avoiding people. Now my main problem though is still at the beginning of the second chapter, Peko explicitly shows that she doesn't agree that murderers deserve to die. So Kuzuryuu convincing Peko to kill for him seems very unlikely still.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Popo posted:

Who else is there though?

Sonia? We saw her coming from the other direction so she'd have had to do something improbably sneaky. The mask is also far too on the nose for her. The idea she's hiding bloody clothes under the wetsuit is also too silly. Getting those suckers on is already hard enough without being dressed and even then it'd be visible.

Saionji? Why would she kill her only friend? She's likely a witness and was hiding in the closet but there's no reason for her to kill Koizumi and it's hard to conceive that Kuzuryuu would ask her. Sure she can be a bitch but she doesn't seem capable of murder. Also, she's tiny. I doubt she has the strength to one shot anyone as well but that's nothing that's anime can't get past.

Kuzuryuu I think he did the deed. And although I do not suspect him we have yet to see Nidai. Added on Peko would have had to do the same thing as Sonia.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Added on Peko would have had to do the same thing as Sonia.
Except not because she came from the beach, having gone for a swim as she claims.

Actually, looking back once things get rolling the game doesn't say where people approached from so I guess Sonia could have come from the beach but since neither she nor Peko mention seeing each other.

Kuzuryuu is involved, we can be sure of this, but if it was him that actually killed Koizumi then the mask is even weirder than it already is. With Sonia and Peko it makes some sense since both were around for the Kira Kira conversation but Kuzuryuu wasn't. Why would he leave the mask?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Popo posted:

Except not because she came from the beach, having gone for a swim as she claims.

Actually, looking back once things get rolling the game doesn't say where people approached from so I guess Sonia could have come from the beach but since neither she nor Peko mention seeing each other.

Kuzuryuu is involved, we can be sure of this, but if it was him that actually killed Koizumi then the mask is even weirder than it already is. With Sonia and Peko it makes some sense since both were around for the Kira Kira conversation but Kuzuryuu wasn't. Why would he leave the mask?

It was put there after is my guess.

Valkama
Jan 6, 2013

RATS!

Popo posted:

What if Peko messed with the crime scene to cover for Kuzuryuu?

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Valkama posted:

What if Peko messed with the crime scene to cover for Kuzuryuu?

But doesn't being an accomplice have the same drawback as in the first game? Only one person can get away with a murder, if you try to cover up for someone else you're just screwing yourself over?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pseudohog posted:

But doesn't being an accomplice have the same drawback as in the first game? Only one person can get away with a murder, if you try to cover up for someone else you're just screwing yourself over?

But what if you don't care if you live :eng101:

Oddsky
Apr 29, 2013
I just noticed something, at the beginning of the current chapter, we get a conversation with Sonia about KiraKira. However there is another person there... swordswoman Pekoyama. Which means, the (presumably) only people who know about the significance of that mask left on the crime scene are: Hinata, Sonia and Peko.

I'm sure some of you probably made that connection already, but I don't think it was expressly stated. Maybe this could help narrow down our list of suspects.

One thing I still don't get for now is, why exactly the culprit of this case went through the window in the shower room? Couldn't he have just used one of the entrances of the cottage? There are two of them after all.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

But what if you don't care if you live :eng101:

That would apply far better to Komaeda than it ever would to Kuzuryuu or Peko.

I am betting Komaeda went free before the murder happened. There is no way he just stood on the sidelines this whole time and that his only involvement in this case was 'pushing' Koizumi to play the game.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Facetious Jim posted:

That would apply far better to Komaeda than it ever would to Kuzuryuu or Peko.

I am betting Komaeda went free before the murder happened. There is no way he just stood on the sidelines this whole time and that his only involvement in this case was 'pushing' Koizumi to play the game.

I thought that until they told us that Monomi released him. He couldn't have been a part of it. No one knew he was released, and he didn't know anyone was planning a murder. He wouldn't have known to come to the beach, and even if he did, how would he have beaten us to the Twilight videogame? He makes sense as a willing accomplice, but he simply didn't have the time.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

Popo posted:

Saionji has a perfectly good motive, in my opinion. If she was in the closet when Mahiru and Kuzuryuu had a conversation about all the dead sister and murder cover-up business, she'd suddenly learn that she and the other involved chicks all covered up their involvement in a murder and Mahiru, knowing Mahiru, would want to tell everyone else. Saionji (as B-ko) was the most vocal person for hiding what they did and I'd say not wanting everyone you have to live with knowing you did something like that is pretty good motive to kill the only chick who wanted to be vocal about it. Not to mention if she graduates, she gets to leave all traces of her involvement in business like that on the island, dead.

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Random_Username posted:

I thought that until they told us that Monomi released him. He couldn't have been a part of it. No one knew he was released, and he didn't know anyone was planning a murder. He wouldn't have known to come to the beach, and even if he did, how would he have beaten us to the Twilight videogame? He makes sense as a willing accomplice, but he simply didn't have the time.

Monomi never said when she released him, she only stated that she wanted everyone to work together and be friends. We know he was locked up when Hinata went to feed him the day before the murder occurred, but from that point up until meeting him in the park he has been AWOL with nobody mentioning him. Monomi was also the only person guarding him, and the only person that would have seen him leave. Monomi only let Hinata in to feed him when he mentioned he didn't want Komaeda starving to death, and even when he went in he never ended up feeding Komaeda.

I am thinking it is likely Monomi let Komaeda free sometime the day before the murder occurred because he had never been fed. Hinata went and talked to several people as he went to feed him, so nobody else ever thought that Komaeda had gone without food. While it may be true that Komaeda had no idea what was happening before that point, we also do not know what Koizumi told him about the game; she would have had to mention something about it in order for him to give her the 'push' he mentioned giving.

After being released, Komaeda did not necessarily have to meet up with anyone; he could have easily overheard something or was approached by someone else with a proposition for help. He could have also met with Koizumi, considering she is now dead and can't tell anyone else about who she met with.

I am still of the mind that Koizumi is not innocent in all this in the slightest; She has a much better motive to kill Kuzuryuu than Kuzuryuu has to kill her, especially now that we know she was handed proof that the events of the game were real AND has played all four days of the game, which means she knows that Kuzuryuu likely killed her friend. This is of course after Kuzuryuu or someone posing as him sent her a letter threatening her as well as Tsumiki, Mioda, and Saionji, which prompted Koizumi to try to meet with those three. Note that the letter also tells her that 'We'll talk soon'; that is probably the reason the murder took place where it did because Koizumi made contact with the murder and agreed to meet him there. If someone says they are going to kill you or you think that might be the case, getting a weapon and bringing friends are two ideas that immediately come to mind. I initially thought Koizumi was there to meet Tsumiki and Mioda since she knew their beach plans, but if that were the case, why did Koizumi decline their invitation to come swimming? Koizumi had to have another reason for being where she was at that time.

Given Saionji's reaction to the airport questioning, I'm pretty certain she was the only one who actually met with Koizumi to hear her out. This happened the day before the murder, when she went shopping with Koizumi. That is also why she was at the beach before everyone else (Including Kuzuryuu; we saw him walk by but not Saionji) because she knew where to go beforehand, since Koizumi probably told her to be there or what was going to happen there.

Also note that we saw Saionji leave, but not Kuzuryuu. This means he left a different way and the whole 'the only way to and from the beach is past this diner' is entirely wrong, slipped by while everyone was busy staring at tits in the diner, or found someplace to hide until everyone dispersed.

Facetious Jim fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 22, 2013

unwnd
Apr 29, 2013

Facetious Jim posted:

Also note that we saw Saionji leave, but not Kuzuryuu. This means he left a different way and the whole 'the only way to and from the beach is past this diner' is entirely wrong, slipped by while everyone was busy staring at tits in the diner, or found someplace to hide until everyone dispersed.
We did see Kuzuryuu "walking past the diner" after the time of the murder with no indication as to which direction he came from or left. Chances are, if he was at the crime scene, he just left via the normal way and Souda / Hinata caught him, though it's hard to tell as his bad attitude automatically makes him look suspicious.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

unwnd posted:

We did see Kuzuryuu "walking past the diner" after the time of the murder with no indication as to which direction he came from or left. Chances are, if he was at the crime scene, he just left via the normal way and Souda / Hinata caught him, though it's hard to tell as his bad attitude automatically makes him look suspicious.

I'm gonna laugh if Hinata clarifies this in the trial and says 'Oh yeah he was coming from the other direction so he never got to the beach house'. So many theories going down in flames all at once.

Other entertaining possible highlights would be Nidai turning out to have been dead all this time (to mirror the first victim in Twilight), that Mahiru was KiraKira, killed Satou and was attempting to kill Kuzuryuu or Saionji but was killed in genuine self-defense, or someone verifying Peko's claim to have been out swimming for hours.

Or Akane turning out to actually be really devious and making it look like the window was unreachable alone when in fact the SHSL gymnast could leap up there easily.

Or Nanami turning out to be the killer and is leading Hinata through all the 'evidence' she prepared in order to frame Kuzuryuu and/or Peko (nah, never suspect the suddenly super helpful ones, right Celes?).

Or all of the above.

This is gonna be an entertaining trial.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013
I'm gonna say that I don't think it could be Saionji, because 3 people have to discover the body for the announcement right? Right now we know Saionji and Souda were apart of those who discovered the body FOR CERTAIN. Someone else must have seen the body before Souda or before Saionji AND Souda for that announcement to go off. While saying there is 1 mysterious witness would be fine... for the game to claim 2 mystery witnesses would add more frustration than intrigue. No, I'm willing to bet that Saionji is just someone that saw a part of the murder (or else she would tell everyone who the culprit is).

I'm leaning toward Babyface as the first person to discover the body and probably be upset? I mean, maybe he intended to kill her, but was beat to the punch? Maybe someone is going to mess with the trial ala Togami? Who knows.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Here is a thing I (and a bunch of other cool people) made for the thread. Enjoy!

Part two is coming soon!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

thevoiceofdog posted:

Here is a thing I (and a bunch of other cool people) made for the thread. Enjoy!

Part two is coming soon!

You're good peoples.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

Ragny's dad getting in on the action was just perfect.

I'm glad you're doing more of these, I doubt there's a dearth of content.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

It's things like this that make me glad about this thread.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

This is beautiful and you are beautiful.

On that note, is it kosher to screencap updates and post them somewhere else? Because I'm surprised that hasn't happened by now

TroubleHalved
May 10, 2013
I think most people think just taking Oren's posts is skeevy? There's a guy doing a separate translation on Tumblr somewhere.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

You're a good dog, a good dog.

I think my favorite was slowbeef's.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Programmer discovers secret to making a living by using the Internet. Tumblr furious!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

Thank you so much for this, you folks are fantastic.

Not being able to reach the DR1 thread was one of the reasons why I got an account. I haven't regretted that little investment at all, SA is an interesting place. Also, I've never been on tumblr.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Oh man that just made my day so much. #DANGIT RON PAUL

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

Yer doin God's work mah boys. Can't wait for part 2

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

thevoiceofdog posted:

This is magical. "What, my free entertainment suddenly costs money?! This is an outrage! Somebody subvert their business model for me, RIGHT NOW. I NEED MY ANIME GAME!! ...please? ...no? ...Whatever, it's a poo poo site anyway. Also I have an irrational hatred of slowbeef for some reason."

Hearing everyone "pronounce" emoticons and question marks was the best part though.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Ah, call me simple but there's fewer funnier things than attempts to vocalize emotes. "Yoomoo" and whatever the gently caress noise Slowbeef made for XD are keepers for sure.

The comments the video gets should prove fun as well.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Everything about that was wonderful. Looking forward to part 2.

Back to DR2, I've been re-reading DR1 on the LP archive. The number of tells they put in throughout the non-investigative sections of the game is amazing. Seriously, go back and read Mondo's obvious guilt over Chihiro's murder, or Celes' game of mastermind with the benefit of hindsight. Or Maizono's murder, where she all but convinces Naegi to take her to find a murder weapon. Fortunately Naegi was really terrible at it ("Uh, here, you can use this wooden sword to defend yourself. It's not like we have some pretty great stabbin' knives in the Kitchen or anything.") and she had to go get one herself.

Anyway, I'm coming across a lot of stuff as part of that re-read that I don't think was ever touched on by the ending of the first game, and I encourage everyone to go back and read it through again, particularly now that we're in a lull of updates anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

RickVoid posted:

Or Maizono's murder, where she all but convinces Naegi to take her to find a murder weapon. Fortunately Naegi was really terrible at it ("Uh, here, you can use this wooden sword to defend yourself. It's not like we have some pretty great stabbin' knives in the Kitchen or anything.") and she had to go get one herself.

Maizono's one was really obvious. Like, everyone in the thread was all like 'Stop thinking with your dick, Naegi! She's trying to kill you or frame you or something! Just look at her eyes, this isn't her first murder!'

• Locked thread