Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...So a random thought occurs to me, and I apologise if this might be the wrong place to discuss the thought...

But what of a Civ and/or XCom style Pacific Rim strategy game? Like... you are the commanding body of the PPDC or whatever, having to play through the 12 years of the Kaiju war (or longer, to facilitate gameplay), starting either from the PPDC's founding, or from the successful development of the Brawler Yukon prototype.

Idea stuck in my head:
>Position custom shatterdomes in locations across the Pacific, having to figure out a balance of good area, likely targets, and the effects of the war which may/may not affect which places become targets.
>Either build existing Jaeger models from the film, or create custom ones. Cheaper models and parts can be rushed for production, making them essential for the early game (which otherwise has you using VERY weak conventional military and waiting for when things are already bad enough to use a nuke), at the potential risk of health problems to some of your best veteran pilots later in game.
>Be initially informed of when a Kaiju exits the Breach, but then is undetectable beneath the waves and players must discern where to deploy their Jaegers to cover a wide area, but also ensure they're close enough so that they can actually assist in the fight.
>When a unit, whether Jaeger or scout helicopter finally spots the Kaiju, the game goes from an overworld map to a more closeup and detailed battlefield, where you take control of the Jaegers in battle.
>If only one Jaeger is in range when the battle starts, the others from the same Shatterdome WILL be coming, there will just be a several minute delay as they make their way over, leaving it to the player to decide on whether to wait for a full force, or go out and try to prevent the Kaiju from achieving landfall at all with just one unit.
>For the endgame, not certain. Thinking something based on the film where, finding a way to close the breach is the nominal goal, and it becoming a more and more pressing matter as Kaiju attacks increase in frequency, and the player likely starts losing units, whilst also losing funding. Close the breach, win the game, or see how high a score you can managed when the extermination wave shows up.

I know its very, very unlikely we'd see something like this in the end, but thoughts? Suggestions? Other kinds of game ideas just for the hell of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Astro Nut posted:

...So a random thought occurs to me, and I apologise if this might be the wrong place to discuss the thought...

But what of a Civ and/or XCom style Pacific Rim strategy game? Like... you are the commanding body of the PPDC or whatever, having to play through the 12 years of the Kaiju war (or longer, to facilitate gameplay), starting either from the PPDC's founding, or from the successful development of the Brawler Yukon prototype.

Idea stuck in my head:
>Position custom shatterdomes in locations across the Pacific, having to figure out a balance of good area, likely targets, and the effects of the war which may/may not affect which places become targets.
>Either build existing Jaeger models from the film, or create custom ones. Cheaper models and parts can be rushed for production, making them essential for the early game (which otherwise has you using VERY weak conventional military and waiting for when things are already bad enough to use a nuke), at the potential risk of health problems to some of your best veteran pilots later in game.
>Be initially informed of when a Kaiju exits the Breach, but then is undetectable beneath the waves and players must discern where to deploy their Jaegers to cover a wide area, but also ensure they're close enough so that they can actually assist in the fight.
>When a unit, whether Jaeger or scout helicopter finally spots the Kaiju, the game goes from an overworld map to a more closeup and detailed battlefield, where you take control of the Jaegers in battle.
>If only one Jaeger is in range when the battle starts, the others from the same Shatterdome WILL be coming, there will just be a several minute delay as they make their way over, leaving it to the player to decide on whether to wait for a full force, or go out and try to prevent the Kaiju from achieving landfall at all with just one unit.
>For the endgame, not certain. Thinking something based on the film where, finding a way to close the breach is the nominal goal, and it becoming a more and more pressing matter as Kaiju attacks increase in frequency, and the player likely starts losing units, whilst also losing funding. Close the breach, win the game, or see how high a score you can managed when the extermination wave shows up.

I know its very, very unlikely we'd see something like this in the end, but thoughts? Suggestions? Other kinds of game ideas just for the hell of it?

Last night I watched pacific rim and ended up playing XCOM before bed since it gave me the itch, and ended up dreaming about XCOM troops fighting Kaiju and Jaegers fighting those tiny little aliens in some kind of mixup. poo poo was weird. Don't mix and match your multinational teams, man.

XCOM even mirrors the progression from "one shot, it's dead. Sweet!" to "OH GOD IT KEEPS COMING KEEP SHOOTING EMPTY THE CL-*dead*"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A friend of mine basically said exactly this, and I think it would be loving fantastic. I think I would prefer to have the Kaiju battles play out like a mech game, though, thats just me.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Hell, i'd take a marvel vs capcom style fighter with a bunch of different jaegers vs a bunch of different kaiju. None of this fancy "plot" nonsense, just give me more ridiculous robot versus monster violence.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Give me a game about the soviet adventures of cherno alpha. Give me anything :qq:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Add Kaiju attacks as a mod for Civilisation. Bonus to Jaegers if your government type is fascist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thematic thingy that I think is worth talking about that isn't about forms of government-

There's a real duality thing going on. Like, in general cooperation is presented as a good thing, but it's specifically cooperation in pairs that's emphasized. The jaegers have two pilots (except the Chinese one), and that pair must harmonize in order to function, while the kaiju correspondingly have two brains. Newt is paired, effectively, with the mathematician, and has to drift with him to uncover the kaiju plan (and the kaiju are both a collective and effectively singular, being a hive mind.)

I think this is a movie about relationships.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What is it about Cherno Alpha that made it so popular? Is it because it just looks so massively different from the typical humanoid Jaegers, the pilots being married gangsters, or what?

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Just got back from seeing it and it was everything I ever wanted in a movie. I haven't cheesed that hard in years over a movie and I'm already planning to go back again. The theater I went to seemed to be mostly full also, which I took as a good sign.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Fangz posted:

Add Kaiju attacks as a mod for Civilisation. Bonus to Jaegers if your government type is fascist.

Jaegers as the unique unit replacement for the Giant Death Robot :allears:

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

What is it about Cherno Alpha that made it so popular? Is it because it just looks so massively different from the typical humanoid Jaegers, the pilots being married gangsters, or what?

It's a walking nuclear reactor with flamethrower jet engines and tesla piston fists :black101:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Raserys posted:

Jaegers as the unique unit replacement for the Giant Death Robot :allears:

I downloaded a Jaeger mod for Civ V, but I haven't gotten them yet, so no idea if they have their own unique models.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Peruser posted:

I don't think SMG is trolling, I'm pretty sure he has legit autism.

I'm still very much enjoying how the course of the thread parallels the film's narrative, where opponents are construed as inhuman, mentally ill, deceivers, etc.

I think I have switched my stance on the film a bit. Although not too fun to watch, it's neat to see it reveal people going coo-coo for cocoa puffs with such gusto.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Peruser posted:

It's a walking nuclear reactor with flamethrower jet engines and tesla piston fists :black101:

Most importantly, it's Russian, and has the very Russian characteristic of "You win or you die for the motherland :ussr:"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Peruser posted:

Probably the elbow dropping.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shadeoses posted:

On Capitalist Consumerist Chat, what's Amazon going to do?

GoHastings are the real facists. :argh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shadeoses posted:

The pilots and the mech have really distinctive looks, and the pilots are introduced as swaggering badasses, while the Typhoon crew are... playing... basketball?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey SuperMechaGodzilla, I've loved your insights in this thread but wanna ask you to unpack some of what you meant when you proposed an alternative version of this film wherein Jaegers and Kaijus work together to overthrow the systems that have placed the latter (and maybe the former, I dunno?) into subservient, abject states. It's a concept worth thinking about, but also one with some serious immediate problems that I'm interested to see how you or anyone else interested in such a film would address.

The main issue comes down to "How do you have strong action setpieces in a film like that without kneecapping its messages or otherwise bringing along problematic elements?" Since you're such a big fan of the Godzilla franchise, I trust your answer isn't just "shift the genre of the film away from an action focus", but what's gonna be the content of those big battels?

On the one hand, once you've got the Jaegers and Kaijus on the same team, it's hard to marshal a physical representation of the metaphorical forces they're fighting that poses a credible threat. You can easily have an exultant sort of climax wherein the Big Huge Fuckers are literally tearing apart a system, but that really has to be limited in scope to prevent an atmosphere of triumphalist bullying. And if we've got the larger, physically dominant underclasses beating the poo poo out of the comparatively small, physically weak, but hyper-intelligent and all-controlling order, does that raise issues of proximity to traditional bigoted representations of Jews and their evil Jewish media/finance control that we've gotta stop by beating up some Jews?

And if we're accepting the premises that (a) that triumphant climactic violence has to be minimized and (b) we have to have some action setpieces before the movie's climax, what do we do before then, as you see it? Do the Kaiju's masters have some other powerful physical representation of their force and neo-colonialist ideologies that they deploy to defend against the combined threat? Or do we have scenes where Jaegers are fighting the very Kaijus that they're trying to ultimately free? (Unfortunate potential implications of liberal tolerance rhetoric, "We want to include and accept this abject group, we really do, but they're just so violent and antagonistic that it can't work") I suppose you could have these scenes of combat largely occur before the realization of "We can help free the Kaijus" is relayed to the Jaeger pilots and command structure, but that might also run the risk of the audience cheering for battles we're later made to realize were pointless and needlessly destructive. Do we maybe want that?

Genuinely curious to see what thoughts you might have on this matter. If this comes across as some snide nerd trying to "out-think" SMG by showing him what his proposed movie would really be like, that couldn't be further from the truth. It's a very intriguing idea and I'd love to see what goes into addressing red flags like these.

EDIT: Re: Cherno Alpha, I think there's a lot of underdog imagery going on as well that makes people bigger fans of it. The other Jaegers we see are Generations 3-5, but Cherno is this big stupid Generation 1 fucker who's not only outlasted the rest of its generation, it's outlasted the entire generation after it. Something that stubborn and hardassed gets a lot of sympathy points, and it's reflected in its visual design as well. There's nothing pretty or complex or subtle about Cherno, none of the clever little design quirks that Jaeger designers started to experiment with in later models. It's just big, slow, strong, and has a nuclear reactor head.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 22, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Shadeoses posted:

I like cherno because hes big, strong and slow. As you can see, I like mechs that are big, strong and slow. Plus, married pilots are unique and cool.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shadeoses posted:

Cherno Alpha is basically a big mechanical Ivan Drago. :ussr:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

It's a walking nuclear reactor with flamethrower jet engines and tesla piston fists

Cherno Alpha really should have been the robot that exploded in a nuclear fireball.

quote:

Although not too fun to watch, it's neat to see it reveal people going coo-coo for cocoa puffs with such gusto.

That took long enough for you to say.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Shadeoses posted:

He (it?) has a big goofy design and looks like something fresh out of World War 2. And us Americans LOVE World War 2.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
EDIT: Nevermind, this is getting way off topic

How 'bout them Chernos?

Peruser fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 22, 2013

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is some really good news right here.

I hope word of mouth keeps it going a little while yet, domestically. But it does look like it's practically guaranteed to break a profit come August.

In the domestic US, I think it's more or less a lost cause. But it'll definitely break a profit at this point; it has yet to open in mainland China (July 31) or Japan (August 9), both of which should be reasonably substantial.

Earlier in the thread, someone compared it to Battleship, which made a profit overseas but is effectively dead with regards to sequels. I still think Pacific Rim has a better shot, because 1) it'll earn more domestically than Battleship did in the end, 2) was far better received critically and has more vehement popular support among fans, and 3) will likely out-earn it in general (Battleship pulled in $300M overall, Pacific Rim has earned $180M after two weeks, without having opened in half of its markets.) It probably doesn't hurt that it's an original IP that the studio controls absolutely.

The property might still wind up gathering dust on a shelf, but it's another good example of how the focus on domestic US ticket sales is increasingly less relevant. The highest grossing movies in general are the ones that play better overseas; the majority of Avatar or Avengers money came from outside the US.

I still wish they didn't nerf the marketing so badly. What I think would've been fun is a series of fake news broadcasts reporting on kaiju attacks, and their subsequent defeat by Jaegers. "Sydney was hit by a level 3 kaiju in the early hours this morning. The creature was successfully neutralized by Striker Eureka..." Their goal should've been to make Pacific Rim feel like an existing franchise, even though it isn't. And this would've done that by familiarizing people with the language and setting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think I have switched my stance on the film a bit. Although not too fun to watch, it's neat to see it reveal people going coo-coo for cocoa puffs with such gusto.

You've read your own posts?

As for the battleship comparison, I can see that- it had the Transformers/Bay comparison, it had some bad trailers, etc, but battleship also was hamstrung by being attached to a weird property (A boardgame about guesses) and didn't have the same kind of word of mouth advertising. Some cult reviewers said Battleship was better, but as it stands, like 1/4 of my facebook feed for the last week has been telling people to see Pacific Rim. Judging by my theatre last night, I'm hopeful it's working. I really want more movies that don't try to have a concept and say why they're above it at the same time.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Xealot posted:

I still wish they didn't nerf the marketing so badly. What I think would've been fun is a series of fake news broadcasts reporting on kaiju attacks, and their subsequent defeat by Jaegers. "Sydney was hit by a level 3 kaiju in the early hours this morning. The creature was successfully neutralized by Striker Eureka..." Their goal should've been to make Pacific Rim feel like an existing franchise, even though it isn't. And this would've done that by familiarizing people with the language and setting.

Yep. The marketing for this movie dropped the ball. I would've loved those fake ads like you said.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I'm still very much enjoying how the course of the thread parallels the film's narrative, where opponents are construed as inhuman, mentally ill, deceivers, etc.

You are the poster child for wasted intelligence, it'll run out soon if you don't start using it for something worthwhile. Or are you content with being king of the manchildren?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know myself, but let me take this opportunity to segway into newlywed team Russia posing with a toy Cherno Alpha.

The Russians are really up there as people's favourite Jaeger pilots. The idea of a husband/wife fighting team is just so great and they have the best sense of swaggering style. One thing I really liked about them is that Sasha is the one calling the shots in the cockpit. Also, they're in the background of the mess hall scene where Chuck calls Raleigh 'Riley' and they're all coupley. :3:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yep. The marketing for this movie dropped the ball. I would've loved those fake ads like you said.

It was weird, I went to Wal-Mart, and I don't think there was a Pacific Rim anything. Like, nothing at all. You think this movie would be ripe for toy milking.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
By SMG's own admission, his posts are forced creations with a façade of life that exist only to cause confusion and terror while taking enormous shits on things people like. We must free his posts and unite with them to destroy him, the real fascist.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the trailers marketing the action and premise were fine and even great. I think they didn't counter that by showing any of the human storylines. If they had stressed the family appeal of it, Father-Son vignette or Yancy and Raleigh as brothers, Mako wanting to pilot and Stacker turning her down, kind of thing I think it would have worked a lot better. poo poo, play up the Top Gun aspect of it between the Aussie team and the American-Japanese team.

And as much as I love Idris Elba and that he was absolutely the right choice, I think if someone like Tom Cruise were involved it would have put the thing over the top with the additional star power.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Watched it again, this time in 3D. In 3D you can really see more clearly a lot of things happening in the background and the visuals are great. The little bits of characterization going on in the background are great. During the first cafeteria scene the Russian Husband sits down next to his wife and she wraps her arms around him very tenderly. There is actually quite a lot of characterization going on with them considering the Husband never even talks! The wife is clearly the more dominant one in that relationship.

Also Newt's pockets are constantly stained with ink...because of course he is too cool to wear a pocket protector.

The symbolism of the shoes is still one of my favorite parts. Just the way Newt picks up and then throws away Hannibal Chau's shoe without a second thought, while Pentecost keeps Mako's shoe for her entire life. Hannibal Chau is not someone worth caring about, and the film makes this abundantly clear.

On the advertising front, there were absolutely no posters or anything in the theater I go to. None. There are still huge cardboard cutouts for movies that came out in the beginning of June, but nothing for this.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cherno Omega better be in the sequel, and be the best loving Mark VI jaeger ever that takes out like 20 kaiju in an extended fight scene.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xealot posted:

Good points on the international market, and those give me some hope for more Pacific Rim in the future. And you're right that marketing really dropped the ball on this one. Hard. Worldbuilding through advertising would've been pretty sweet, and definitely would've helped dispel the notion that it's on the same level as Michael Bay's Transformers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Raserys posted:

It was weird, I went to Wal-Mart, and I don't think there was a Pacific Rim anything. Like, nothing at all. You think this movie would be ripe for toy milking.

There's absolutely no merchandise or marketing visible in Australia. It's really pretty unfortunate. I went out to find a Gipsy figure to put on my teaching desk but no dice.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Now you know why we went with Heroclix. TEN FIGURES. Too bad we all got played, and they are exceedingly rarer and rarer as they days press on. Anyone with any Heroclix experience know if they do multiple runs, or just one big factory run to preserve the collectibleness?

Edit: depending on how this pans out, I may just buy a box at full retail. A place (kinda) near me has a few in stock, and I may just package any extras for sale on ebay as another "playset"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

People are coo-coo for cocoa puffs because this is an extremely specific throwback to something they loved in their youth.

It's not about philosophical discourse, or defending their position on militarism or The Other, it's about nostalgia. The film resonated emotionally with them, it didn't with you, and making GBS threads on that is kind of the emotional equivalent of knocking an ice cream cone out of their hands. That's where the emotionally-loaded vehemence comes from; "what? No! You...you're a doo-doo head!"

Of course, you're the one who's been posting long treatises in a forum on the internet to argue with fans of a movie you didn't like. You're in it for an emotionally-loaded reason, too: trolling people. Otherwise, you'd just compose your argument into a concise media crit piece and submit it somewhere...which you should; it's a valid argument with textual support.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know myself, but let me take this opportunity to segway into newlywed team Russia posing with a toy Cherno Alpha.

:swoon: Fantastic. This movie thread delivers the best fanart

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Xealot posted:

People are coo-coo for cocoa puffs because this is an extremely specific throwback to something they loved in their youth.

It's not about philosophical discourse, or defending their position on militarism or The Other, it's about nostalgia. The film resonated emotionally with them, it didn't with you, and making GBS threads on that is kind of the emotional equivalent of knocking an ice cream cone out of their hands. That's where the emotionally-loaded vehemence comes from; "what? No! You...you're a doo-doo head!"

Of course, you're the one who's been posting long treatises in a forum on the internet to argue with fans of a movie you didn't like. You're in it for an emotionally-loaded reason, too: trolling people. Otherwise, you'd just compose your argument into a concise media crit piece and submit it somewhere...which you should; it's a valid argument with textual support.

I think you've really hit the nail on the head here with regards to peoples' reactions to the film being poo poo on (and the word 'fascist' being thrown around so casually.) Its been said multiple tiles in this thread, the word is extremely negative in the colloquial sense, and has been thrown around so much it seems to have almost lost all meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

anthraciteDragon posted:

I think you've really hit the nail on the head here with regards to peoples' reactions to the film being poo poo on (and the word 'fascist' being thrown around so casually.) Its been said multiple tiles in this thread, the word is extremely negative in the colloquial sense, and has been thrown around so much it seems to have almost lost all meaning.

Including what most political scientists use it for, yes.

SMG can be goddamn insane sometimes.

The Walking Dad posted:

Watched it again, this time in 3D. In 3D you can really see more clearly a lot of things happening in the background and the visuals are great. The little bits of characterization going on in the background are great. During the first cafeteria scene the Russian Husband sits down next to his wife and she wraps her arms around him very tenderly.

I could only see that in 2D actually. But then again, I'm one of those people Magic Eye doesn't work on.

• Locked thread